GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 02:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As a result of his method for early music education, Shinichi Suzuki h

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior RC Moderator
V
GPA: 3.39
As a result of his method for early music education, Shinichi Suzuki h  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2019, 22:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

47% (00:53) correct 53% (01:00) wrong based on 203 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As a result of his method for early music education, Shinichi Suzuki has been known as one of the world’s great violin teachers.

A. has been known as one
B. had been known as one
C. is seen as one
D. is being seen as one
E. has been one

For all GMAT Flashcards => Click here
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Re: As a result of his method for early music education, Shinichi Suzuki h  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 13:53
GMATNinja Hello, can you took a look at this little nasty one(based on the responses). I don't know what to look for in this case so I cannot be specific about my question instead I am just seeking explanation?
Intern
Intern
B
Re: As a result of his method for early music education, Shinichi Suzuki h  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 19:35
TheNightKing wrote:
GMATNinja Hello, can you took a look at this little nasty one(based on the responses). I don't know what to look for in this case so I cannot be specific about my question instead I am just seeking explanation?

If an expert wants to correct me, please feel free. I chose c because it is a present condition. This guy is thought of as a great teacher and that doesn't change. In the views on him can be subject to change. Take another example. I have been known to eat pancakes for breakfast, however today I ate eggs. What I eat for breakfast everyday can change, while the opinion of the teacher should not.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2019, 10:02
How do we know this is in the present, and how do we use seen
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 520 Q43 V20

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2019, 21:05
I was confused between A and E, could you tell me the reasoning for eliminating those options?
Senior RC Moderator
V
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2019, 22:01
Official Explanation

Present perfect (A) implies Suzuki is not still known thusly. Past perfect (B) implies he stopped being known thusly in the past. Also, “known” is less accurate than “seen”: the former suggests fact; the latter connotes perception/view/opinion, the case here. Present progressive (D) is awkward and suggests the opinion is only current and short-term. “Has been” without “seen” (E) changes the meaning from public opinion to fact-and past, not present, fact

Hope it helps

porwal1 wrote:
I was confused between A and E, could you tell me the reasoning for eliminating those options?

For all GMAT Flashcards => Click here
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 04:35
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Official Explanation

Present perfect (A) implies Suzuki is not still known thusly. Past perfect (B) implies he stopped being known thusly in the past. Also, “known” is less accurate than “seen”: the former suggests fact; the latter connotes perception/view/opinion, the case here. Present progressive (D) is awkward and suggests the opinion is only current and short-term. “Has been” without “seen” (E) changes the meaning from public opinion to fact-and past, not present, fact

Hope it helps

porwal1 wrote:

SajjadAhmad , What is the source of this question ?

daagh , putting seen vs known aside, how does present perfect imply that he stopped being known thusly. Isn't that the whole point of a perfect tense ? I can understand that simple present tense is preferable over present perfect in this scenario, but is the explanation given above correct in GMAT environment ?
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
As a result of his method for early music education, Shinichi Suzuki h  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 13:27
Top Contributor
altair to your query

We don't know much about Suzuki's past nor even his current status . The simple question is whether he is still performing or whether he has vanished into the background. If he is still one the best teachers, then he entails simple present tense as in C. However, if he was good in the past or good from the past does not matter to us, since he may be still be one today. But C removes the doubt forthrightly by saying he is still seen
Another muddled factor is the unnecessary split between seen and known. Whether an artist is seen or known makes little difference as long his performance is good,
After all, an artist has to be first known as good and then only he will be seen as a good when more people venture to visit his programs live.

C must be passable without much ado.
As a result of his method for early music education, Shinichi Suzuki h   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2019, 13:27

As a result of his method for early music education, Shinichi Suzuki h

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics