Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2724 [47]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [17]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
Re: As the stock market began its slow descent, many individual investors [#permalink]
Kudos
I had the understanding that 'comma + whose' can only modify a person. Why is modifying 'accounts' with 'comma + whose' appropriate?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: As the stock market began its slow descent, many individual investors [#permalink]
Bookmarks
As the stock market began its slow descent, many individual investors moved their money out of index funds and into private equity accounts, whose range of investments were less restricted.

It seems this is a good part that most people passed offer. That whose. So in this sentence range is singular therefore we use a singular verb, but this is the trick on this one.

It is an adjective, a possessive form of who. It can also be used as a pronoun, but the count will depend on what you're taking about:
Adjective:
Whose dog is this?
He whose cup floweth over.
Pronoun:
Whose are these?
I chose whose to fill.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V147
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
shasadou wrote:
As the stock market began its slow descent, many individual investors moved their money out of index funds and into private equity accounts, whose range of investments was less restricted.

A. whose range of investments was less restricted
B. where there were investments that had a range that was less restricted
C. where they had a less restricted range of investments
D. with less restrictions on the range of investments
E. having less restrictions on the range of investments

A - Whose is correctly pointing to accounts - Correct Answer
B, C - where is illogically modifying accounts
D - As per the context "with less rescritions.... investments " is illogically modifying whole preceeding clause
E - same as D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V147
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
RobertWK wrote:
I had the understanding that 'comma + whose' can only modify a person. Why is modifying 'accounts' with 'comma + whose' appropriate?

There is no restriction of whose (Restriction is present only on who and whom)
whose can be used to modify both persons and things

Please find the list

who , whom - persons
whose - persons and things
which , that - things
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 522
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Here the pronoun ‘whose’ logically and grammatically refers to the equity accounts. Equity accounts are more diverse and broad - based than index funds that deal only with index-based stocks

A. whose range of investments was less restricted -- correct choice

B. where there were investments that had a range that was less restricted—'where' is not an appropriate pronoun for accounts.

C. where they had a less restricted range of investments—same as in B

D. with less restrictions on the range of investments --- The comma before ‘with’ is a problem Because of the adverbial nature of the prepositional modifier, it modifies the entire clause lying before. The cannot modify the accounts. The quantifier ‘less’ also does not gel with the countable restrictions. It should be fewer.

E. having fewer restrictions on the range of investments – same problem as in D.

Hi daagh: In D, I get your point that less shouldn't be used for countable items but regarding the modifier, I have a doubt. Prepositional modifiers can serve as adjectival phrases right? Why can't with X modify a noun after the comma.

For example - With more than one hundred rupees in my pocket, I set out to the market.
I went back home, with panache and ...

Okay, I think, while constructing my line of thought, I got my answer but just to be sure - do you mean to say that when with appears after a comma at the end of a sentence, it always modifies the entire clause?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM