GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 07:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As well as usage

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1
As well as usage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 09:41
The principal as well as the teachers are/is in the meeting … please which one is correct singular or plural

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1029
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: As well as usage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 10:41
SAGIRNAABBA wrote:
The principal as well as the teachers are/is in the meeting … please which one is correct singular or plural

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device


AS WELL AS
The principal as well as the teachers is in the meeting
the teachers as well as The principal are in the meeting

AND
The principal AND the teachers are in the meeting
the teachers AND The principal are in the meeting
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3623
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: As well as usage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 10:43
HKD1710 wrote:
AS WELL AS
The principal as well as the teachers is in the meeting
the teachers as well as The principal are in the meeting


AND
The principal AND the teachers are in the meeting
the teachers AND The principal are in the meeting


Hey HKD1710 ,

I think you reversed the rule in the first one.

It should be

The principal as well as the teachers are in the meeting
the teachers as well as The principal is in the meeting
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1029
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: As well as usage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 11:12
1
abhimahna wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
AS WELL AS
The principal as well as the teachers is in the meeting
the teachers as well as The principal are in the meeting


AND
The principal AND the teachers are in the meeting
the teachers AND The principal are in the meeting


Hey HKD1710 ,

I think you reversed the rule in the first one.

It should be

The principal as well as the teachers are in the meeting
the teachers as well as The principal is in the meeting


Hi abhimahna,

I think what you're saying is correct in case of other compound subjects as mentioned below. Here is some explanation from Magoosh. Please correct me if i have misunderstood anything from it:

Additive phrases
There are many constructions that have a meaning similar to P and Q, but achieve this in the form [single noun] + [phrase]. For example,

a) P, as well as Q,
b) P, including Q,
c) P, in addition to Q,

In all of these, the phrase that follows P is called an additive phrase. An additive phrase is not part of the subject, but is simply a separate noun modifier modifying the subject. In all three of these, P alone is the subject, and if P is singular, the verb is singular.

Compound subjects: The OR rule
The rule for OR is a little trickier. These three constructions all follow the same rule for the OR pattern:

a) P or Q
b) either P or Q
c) neither P nor Q

What matters is only the number of the last term of the sequence. If there are two terms, then only the second term matters: if the second term is singular, the subject takes a singular verb; if the second term is plural, the subject takes a plural verb. Whether the first term is singular or plural doesn’t matter at all. Thus:

5) Either the President or the three senators are going to speak ….

6) Either the three senators or the President is going to speak …

7) Neither the CEO nor the members of the Board are responsible for …

8) Neither the members of the Board nor the CEO is responsible for …

All that matters is the number of the term closest to the verb: the number of the verb follows the number of this nearest term.

Source: https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/compound- ... e-phrases/
Also from the post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-well-as-v ... l#p1725675
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3623
Premium Member Reviews Badge
As well as usage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 11:21
HKD1710 wrote:
Hi abhimahna,

I think what you're saying is correct in case of other compound subjects as mentioned below. Here is some explanation from Magoosh. Please correct me if i have misunderstood anything from it:

Additive phrases
There are many constructions that have a meaning similar to P and Q, but achieve this in the form [single noun] + [phrase]. For example,

a) P, as well as Q,
b) P, including Q,
c) P, in addition to Q,

In all of these, the phrase that follows P is called an additive phrase. An additive phrase is not part of the subject, but is simply a separate noun modifier modifying the subject. In all three of these, P alone is the subject, and if P is singular, the verb is singular.

Compound subjects: The OR rule
The rule for OR is a little trickier. These three constructions all follow the same rule for the OR pattern:

a) P or Q
b) either P or Q
c) neither P nor Q

What matters is only the number of the last term of the sequence. If there are two terms, then only the second term matters: if the second term is singular, the subject takes a singular verb; if the second term is plural, the subject takes a plural verb. Whether the first term is singular or plural doesn’t matter at all. Thus:

5) Either the President or the three senators are going to speak ….

6) Either the three senators or the President is going to speak …

7) Neither the CEO nor the members of the Board are responsible for …

8) Neither the members of the Board nor the CEO is responsible for …

All that matters is the number of the term closest to the verb: the number of the verb follows the number of this nearest term.

Source: https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/compound- ... e-phrases/
Also from the post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-well-as-v ... l#p1725675


Yes HKD1710 ,

I completely agree to your point but my point here is additive phrase should always be preceded as well as followed by a comma. This isn't the case in the given sentence. So, I considered it similar to either X or Y.

I wonder what would be the real construction for such cases as I haven't encountered any such example before.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2018
Posts: 1
Re: As well as usage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 17:19
AS WELL AS is used where they both are companions
on the other hand
AND is used to signify the objects
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Dec 2015
Posts: 629
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: As well as usage  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 13:54
SAGIRNAABBA wrote:
The principal as well as the teachers are/is in the meeting … please which one is correct singular or plural


Think of as well as as a phrase that begins a modifier. In your sentence, I've highlighted the modifier in green.

The principal, as well as the teachers, are/is in the meeting.

In every sentence, the subject and verb have to agree. When you look for the subject of a sentence, you ignore the modifiers. Just pretend they aren't there (for a moment) - the verb just has to agree with the subject itself, not the modifier(s). So, the subject of this sentence is the principal.

Since the principal is singular, the correct verb is is.

The principal, as well as the teachers, is in a meeting.
_________________

Image

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

GMAT Club Bot
Re: As well as usage &nbs [#permalink] 20 Apr 2018, 13:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

As well as usage

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.