Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: HBS '25
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 618
GRE 1: Q165 V163

GRE 2: Q165 V163

GRE 3: Q170 V163
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Ask ApplicantLab [#permalink]
Hi Maria!
Happy Holidays! I hope you're doing well!

At the outset, I would like to thank you for all your help to the community(I think your insights in the GMAT Club videos are great!).

I am looking to apply to MBA programs in the upcoming application cycle(hopefully in R1) and would be extremely grateful if you could help me with a profile eval to assess my chances in schools like ISB, Ross, Stern, Foster, UT Austin, Tepper and Johnson (Please do let me know of any other programs that you feel would be a good fit for me). I planned on applying this year but a few had to postpone due to a few personal circumstances at home.

Background: Male, Indian, 26(28 at matriculation)
Undergrad : A top 15 University Indian university; Class of 2016 CG:7.06 (3.06/4 based on Scholaro, which is recommended at Foster). Suffered from chronic urticaria which led me to miss a lot of classes and internal exams and affected my grades. Majored in Computer Science (Strong Advanced Maths Scores, Scored over an A in all the pertinent math courses)
GRE: 325(Q:165, V:160, AWA 4), Intend to retake and hopefully score higher. Should I be looking at a GMAT?

Work Ex:
3 years 8 months as of August 2020
1. Big Data Engineer at a Fortune 100 Retail Org (Aug'16 - May'19)

A. Designed Pipelines on the company's big data infrastructure(Hadoop Platform) for the company's supply chain
B. Part of a team that developed an analytics platform which unified over 10M customer accounts over diverse Retail Org platforms to perform efficient forecasting and analysis for targeted promotions to strengthen customer loyalty(left before the results were out).
C. Worked with the company's Thailand business to ideate and led the development of solutions which went on to prevent the loss on XM+ unsold volumes of items and perishables amounting to XM$ since 2018 and also by rating supplier performance for contract renewals. Food wastage was reduced by XX% (XXXX tonnes in 2019-20). Solution extended to 5 other countries
D. Worked with the company's Thailand and Central European business to developed taxonomy for over XX million items for enhancing reporting across various levels(store, area, region etc).
E. Point of contact for Thailand's business users on the Engineering issues. Actively identified pain points and devised mechanisms which to address them
F. Tabled Proof Of Concepts' for supplanting the existing codestack with open source languages and frameworks with which upon adoption eventually supplanted 70% of the codebase and almost reduced run time by a third. Developed templates, conducted Knowledge transfer sessions and workshops to facilitate smoother migration for all team members.

2. Big Data Engineer at Fading Unicorn(Sep'19 - Present):

A. Part of a newly formed team to re-engineer the entire data infrastructure and migrate to cloud
B. Identified and devised mechanisms to accurately reconcile commissions with orders (affecting 7% of all orders to small merchants and impacting their commissions worth $360,000/yr estimated )
C. Improved efficiency and automated the generation of customer subscription metrics for NYSE reporting.
D. Initiated a work life balance committee to help the working hours of working mothers and colleagues with children after layoffs significantly affected workload.

Target Industries
Product management in the big data space at organisations like Walmart, Amazon. I intend to build upon my existing capacities as a data engineer and draw on my experiences of working at retail/e-commerce organisations to transition into a data centric product manager and leverage my big data expertise in developing cutting edge products.

Extra Curriculars:
1. Elected as a member of the college core committee and headed a 25 member team for the infodesk and finance categories of the college for a year. Responsible for information dissemination on over 300 events to a 15000 strong student body and the distribution of participation passes to them. Played key roles in developing an online system to handle payments, cash prizes and registrations. This helped boost participation, revenue(over INR 600,000 was collected in participation revenue, a 15% increase from the last cycle) and efficiently streamlined crowds.
2. Work in the community with my parents and a few friends to arrange health camps, school/help with classes,books, medical supplies for domestic helps, security guards, drivers and municipality workers. Almost amounts to around $7000 in worth to doctors/medical personnel over the past 10 years.
3. Have been involved with GMAT Club as a B School moderator for a while now. Helped ideate and organize GMATClub connect sessions where we helped 300+ prospective applicants get in touch with Adcom members/ Alums through small zoom meetups
4. Play football in local teams and watch a lot of it
5. Organise/Attend pet dog meetups ( I love golden retrievers :p)

I would be grateful if you could also help me with the following queries,

1. Your assessment of my profile.

2. Would you recommend that I take the GMAT over the GRE? (I struggle with SC. Learning new words and logically plugging them in based on meaning comes more naturally to me).
Additionally I do not observe a lot of applicants who've applied through the GRE being awarded scholarships. Is it an accurate assessment?

3. Things are shaky at work. Teams are being laid off heavily and mine has been affected too. A consultation process is underway. The economy hasn't picked up and securing PM roles for folks without a PM-experience in the resume is getting very hard. Consequently, I might have to switch jobs in a similar role by March/April, leaving me with very little time for applications next year. I have the following questions in this regard

A: Will this negatively affect my chances or do you see the ad-com's being more sympathetic to my situation?

B: Would a switch back to Retail Org be perceived negatively? I really liked working there and wouldn't mind going back, even if in the worst case an MBA doesn't materialize for some reason. Securing an LOR from Retail Org(or any new organization) might be a little difficult due to the limited time I would be present in the organization. This has me extremely worried

My apologies for the inconvenience caused by inundating you with so many queries. I would greatly appreciate your thought on this

Thank you in advance
Sincerely
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I would really appreciate some feedback on my profile. I am looking to apply in ~3 years. I think that is when I would feel professionally, personally and also Financially ready for an MBA.I am looking to apply to Wharton, HBS, Kellogg, Sloan, Stern, Booth (My dream schools are Wharton or HBS)

Details:

Nationality:
- North-West African citizenship (Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Mauritania)
- Canadian citizenship

Ethnicity: North African/Arab

Country of residence: Canada (Toronto)

GMAT: Haven’t taken the test yet. But I am willing to invest the time and resources I need to get a +700 score.

Education:
- Undergraduate: Top Canadian School. Honors BSc. Physics. GPA: 3.12
- Graduate 1: MSc in Earth Sciences Good Canadian School. Pending Thesis top grades on courses completed
- Graduate 2: MA in Applied Mathematics/ Financial Mathematics. GPA: ~3.8

Work Experience:
- 2 years as a research assistant/Teaching Assistant in my lab during Graduate1. Was elected a team lead of a group of 4 T.As delivering course lectures/labs to > 70 students
- 2 months research assistant in research facility in Japan (fully funded)
- 3 month internship as business intelligence consultant for large Canadian Telecom
- 4 month internship as a Risk Analyst for top 5 Canadian bank
- 4 month internship as a Quantitative analyst for prestigious Canadian investment fund
- (Current role) So far 13 months as a Senior Analyst (full time) in data analytics for top 5 Canadian Back

International experience:
- Born in Europe to North African parents, Graduated high school from the middle east, moved to Canada for Post secondary education.

Extracurricular:
- Was part of the Executive Board and Director of Finance for Campus wide Graduate Business Consulting student association during my MA in applied math degree. Serve for about 1 year in the role.
Additional Certifications:
- Looking to write CFA level 1 within this year.

Future Career goals:
- Transitioning into a high finance roles in : Investment management, Private Equity, Hedge fund management etc.
- Secondary goals would be to work in Tech or Consulting.

A few Questions I have are:
- How would applying to an MBA program be different when I am a little older (32 years old) ?
- Would it help if I use my African citizenship ? Are African candidates more competitive?
- I am a little concerned about my relatively lower undergrad GPA (Quantum Mechanics is hard !!!). Will that be off-set by my higher grad GPAs & potential high performance in GMAT?
- Most of my Business school choices are M7. Are these reasonable choices? Are there school that are better suited for my career choices and profile?

Finally, thank you very much for reading. I would appreciate any help I can get.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [3]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Just a quick note that many consultants and esp. Maria are super swamped with the R2 submissions that are happening this week and part of next week. Super stressful time and response time may be rather delayed. On a side note, please consider using a non-human Profile Evaluation tool: WAMC

Thank you.
BB.
Hi ApplicantLab

I am currently preparing for GMAT to apply in September 2021. I have 4.5 yrs of experience working in KPMG as a Risk Consultant. Initially I was not planning to leave the company till I apply to colleges as then I would have to justify why I left the company. However, now I am thinking of leaving the company asap as my current project is awful and it's affecting my GMAT preparation as well. If I leave my job now, and join some other company in June (full-time or part-time or as an intern) will that affect my mba application negatively, if say I unable to find another full time role. Please advise, as I am targeting a top 20-30 school, preferably Ross, Insead, Kellogg

Posted from my mobile device
Applicant Lab Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: HBS - Class of 2005
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi there!

Thanks for your question! I have learned over the years that it's common for people in India to quit their jobs / study for tests, but please realize that in the US / Europe, this is not common and is in fact frowned upon.

Also realize that any gap in your work history that is over 3 months will need to be explained in the application form.

Finally, the good news is that if you start a new job, it could help you stand out / look more unique from the overwhelming abundance of applicants from the KPMGs / PwCs / EYs of the world.

The less-good news is, if you start that job in June, you'll have only about 2-3 months if you apply in R1, or 6 months if you apply in R2, under your belt at the time of applying, so it's not clear if you will have had enough of a chance to make strong impact there.

All of this having been said though -- personally, I think we should make career choices in our lives REGARDLESS of whether or not we want to go to business school.

A question I often ask people is: "If business school did not exist, what choice would you make next for your job / life?"

The reason I say this is that the whole MBA thing might not ever happen. Maybe it doesn't happen because of competitive applications; maybe it doesn't happen because the financial aspects of it (e.g. going $200k into debt) simply ends up not making sense; etc.)

In a case like that, it would be a real shame to, say, stay at a job you hate / miss out on a job you'd love to take simply because it may or may not help you get into an MBA program that you may or may not wanting to attend anyway.

TL;DR: I'd think about which industry you want to make a career in, and start looking for a good job in that industry ASAP.

I WOULD look to change jobs; I would NOT EVER quit my job just to study for the GMAT, unless it's for say a month or so and as a result can be sort of hidden / not draw attention to it in the resume / application.

Hope this helps!,
Maria

Nidsidd wrote:
Hi ApplicantLab

I am currently preparing for GMAT to apply in September 2021. I have 4.5 yrs of experience working in KPMG as a Risk Consultant. Initially I was not planning to leave the company till I apply to colleges as then I would have to justify why I left the company. However, now I am thinking of leaving the company asap as my current project is awful and it's affecting my GMAT preparation as well. If I leave my job now, and join some other company in June (full-time or part-time or as an intern) will that affect my mba application negatively, if say I unable to find another full time role. Please advise, as I am targeting a top 20-30 school, preferably Ross, Insead, Kellogg

ApplicantLab wrote:
Hi there!

Thanks for your question! I have learned over the years that it's common for people in India to quit their jobs / study for tests, but please realize that in the US / Europe, this is not common and is in fact frowned upon.

Also realize that any gap in your work history that is over 3 months will need to be explained in the application form.

Finally, the good news is that if you start a new job, it could help you stand out / look more unique from the overwhelming abundance of applicants from the KPMGs / PwCs / EYs of the world.

The less-good news is, if you start that job in June, you'll have only about 2-3 months if you apply in R1, or 6 months if you apply in R2, under your belt at the time of applying, so it's not clear if you will have had enough of a chance to make strong impact there.

All of this having been said though -- personally, I think we should make career choices in our lives REGARDLESS of whether or not we want to go to business school.

A question I often ask people is: "If business school did not exist, what choice would you make next for your job / life?"

The reason I say this is that the whole MBA thing might not ever happen. Maybe it doesn't happen because of competitive applications; maybe it doesn't happen because the financial aspects of it (e.g. going $200k into debt) simply ends up not making sense; etc.)

In a case like that, it would be a real shame to, say, stay at a job you hate / miss out on a job you'd love to take simply because it may or may not help you get into an MBA program that you may or may not wanting to attend anyway.

TL;DR: I'd think about which industry you want to make a career in, and start looking for a good job in that industry ASAP.

I WOULD look to change jobs; I would NOT EVER quit my job just to study for the GMAT, unless it's for say a month or so and as a result can be sort of hidden / not draw attention to it in the resume / application.

Hope this helps!,
Maria

Nidsidd wrote:
Hi ApplicantLab

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi Applicant Lab,

I wanted to understand where my application lacked depth and strength.
Can you help me with my profile evaluation?
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Hi ApplicantLab,

I'm looking to get a quick profile review based on my schools of interest and see if I have any chance of getting in. My GMAT is low, but I'm not necessarily looking to apply to the absolute top programs.

Background:
- Male, 25 (will be 27 at matriculation, applying Fall 2021, matriculation Summer/Fall 2022), White, in the US
- Undergrad GPA: 3.74, double major in Biology and Business Management

- GMAT: 660 (Q47, V35, IR8, AWA6)
- Had a lot of issues with COVID. Started studying in January 2020, took a prep course and everything, first test got cancelled in March 2020. Tried the online test but a decent gap between my class and absolutely bombed because I couldn't do my work fast enough with the whiteboard. Took in person GMATs in August and November, improved my online score but not from August - November (improved quant, but not overall score). Took a second "advanced course" because I thought the having the course closer to the test would help, then my January test got cancelled after the course due to the holiday COVID spike, and had to wait until March. Same exact score. Long story short, I don't really want to retake again after over a year of studying. Just burnt out and want to know if I have a chance with the current score. I've also never been great at standardized tests. Would my higher IR and AWA + above average GPA give me any chance for the schools below?

Reach schools (based on GMAT): UCLA, USC Marshall, UNC, Emory, Georgetown, Tepper, Fuqua (have a recommender alum if that helps)
Target schools: Rochester (Simon), Wisconsin - like these because they are high ROI schools. If I can't get into any of these or some at a similar level, then not sure an MBA would be financially worth it based on employment stats. Any other program recs around these would be appreciated!

Current Work Experience:
- Research Analyst at a small boutique Market Research Firm focused on Pharma / Healthcare. Promoted to Senior Analyst after 2 years. Will have 4 years of work experience at matriculation.

Why an MBA:
- Want to change careers into more of a data analytics focused position. We do both Quant and Qual projects at our company, and I enjoy the quant aspects of my current role much more than the qual, but we are more heavy on the qual side. Eventually would like to get into a management role utilizing data to make decisions. I think a STEM MBA would be a good focus for this, and it seems like more schools are coming out with STEM options. Likely going to stay in the healthcare space, but also interested in Tech. Need to do more specific job research, which I am planning to do from now until start of applications.

Extracurriculars:
Undergrad:
- 3-season Varsity Cross-Country and Track athlete - captain Senior year.
- Had a job as a peer academic advisor final 2 years. Became a "leader" of the academic advisors since they accepted fewer juniors than seniors, so was 1/2 second year advisors.
Currently:
- Volunteering as a Mentor for a non-profit that helps High Schoolers train for a marathon. Focus is on helping those who struggle to find a community or make friends at school. Help with fundraising through social media and gofundme. Will have been involved with this for 3 years at matriculation.
- Also train for marathons and qualified for a major marathon (which was cancelled, so will be re-entering for 2021).

I know this isn't enough information to give an estimate on school chances with certainty, but any thoughts or school recs would be appreciated.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello ApplicantLab

So grateful for services like yours in the sea of consultants who are priced out of reach for many. Would love to hear you initial impressions about my profile below. Kindly take a look.

Background: Indian Male 27 years old.

I did my Engineering from a top 50 college in the country and My academics are as below.

GMAT: Preparing. Hoping to end up within 740 range within the next two months.

B.Tech : 73.2% (3.2 GPA)

Extra curriculars during graduation: Head of a quizzing community, Played football for my college team, Curated a TEDx Independent event, Participated and won events across colleges for quizzing and electronics based competitions.

Work Exp:

2015 June to December: Embedded Arch engineer in a startup which had seed funding of $100K before round 1. Was part of the electronic design of a product from scratch. Part of a kickstarter campaign which did not go live. Donned multiple hats including customer and market research for product as well as lead the content management team for company.

2015 December to present: Tech consulting at Big 4. Mainly coding for UI/UX design along with design decisions. Got promoted twice in 5 years. Currently into technical project management with multiple leadership and extracurricular roles during the tenure. Have not travelled internationally for work, but have worked with teams across the globe (China, Ukraine, Australia, UK and USA). Have travelled across the country for work.

I'm a professional musician whose band has performed across festivals and venues such as hard rock café etc. over the country. Our original compositions are reviewed by magazines/websites and available in digital streaming platforms. I'm also a solo artist.

Extra Curriculars: Music as mentioned above, been part of music communities as well as conducted events in my company. I play football for my company team and my alumni team. Volunteered for cancer societies especially with respect to donation of hair for wig making. I have grown and donated my hair for this cause.

Short and long term MBA Goal: Move into product management at a tech company. I have worked in UI/UX, project management as well as product design (during startup days) and would like to go down this path. Long term end up as a head of product. I would like to align myself to the media/music industry if possible.

Schools Targeted: INSEAD, LBS, HEC, Cambridge, ISB , Oxford.

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Kudos
Hello ApplicantLab,
I am a June 2019 pass out in B. Tech ECE with 67.30%. I couldn't find a job and earlier I prepared for CAT and couldn't clear. So afterwards I decided to give GMAT a try I gave my first attempt in FEB 2021 with a score of 530(Q-46,V-17,IR-3) and prepared for 6 months for verbal hoping to get a 680 or so, and apply in Round 1 deadline to get a decent university in USA or Canada and apply in Masters in Finance but I again end up getting a same score 530 (Q-47,V-17,IR-5,AWA-6). I am a little confused should I apply with score of 530 or prepare for 2 months or so and apply in round 2 or to get a job and reapply next year for 2023 intake that would be too much time wasted. Your recommendation is highly appreciated.

There are a few question :-
1. Should I be preparing for IELTS or TOEFL or BOTH side by side as my first preference is USA and second is Canada.
2. If I apply in Round 2 what are the chances of getting admitted considering my profile. I don't want to apply in a low ranking university and have a bleak chance to get employment.
3. Is there anything else you recommend doing side by side to make my profile stronger.
4. I wish to apply with a good GMAT score try to get admitted in a university under 300 rank. Would that be possible if I apply in round 2 with GMAT 650+.
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi ar21x ,

Ok, so first things first, I think you should read / watch the video I have on this blog post, since it will help serve as a useful introduction about what MBA programs, especially in the US are looking for:

https://www.applicantlab.com/blog/mba-admissions-committees-needs-meet-needs/

The short version is, that test scores are "necessary, but not sufficient" for admission.

The reason I start off by saying this is that it sounds like (???) you have been unemployed since graduating from college, and if that's the case, then it doesn't matter if you get a (3 million / 800) score on the GMAT and if the Queen of England herself decrees that your level of English is perfect...

... the test scores are just the *START* of what MBA admissions committees look for... but AFTER that, there is a LOOOOOONG road ahead, where the evaluation in sum comes down to how much impact / leadership you've shown *at work*.

So if I'm understanding correctly and you have no substantial work experience, then I don't think any top MBA programs will accept you -- but you could instead look into "MiM" (Masters in Management) programs, which are designed more for less-experienced candidates.

Since you'll now have (?) two years (?) of unemployment on your profile, my advice to you is to instead focus your energies on programs in India, which from what I can tell, seem to care a bit less about work experience and more about test scores.

That is, even if you get a job right now and then after that get the average of about 4 years of experience, you'd still need to explain away the 2 years of unemployment now (which isn't the end of the world, but still, is a bit tough to explain) and, since, the "unscientific" rule is that Indian candidates usually need to score about 30 points avg a school's published average (since Indian candidates are raised in a test-taking culture and thus score 30 points higher than applicants from other countries), a 520 would be considered equivalent to a 490... and a 650 would be roughly considered equivalent to a 620, so you'd also need to spend a couple more years getting that GMAT score up.

In sum, before spending ANY more time and effort into test-preparation, first, learn about what USA business schools (the top ones, at least) are looking for, and focus on developing those experiences.

Otherwise, my best advice would be to try to find a MiM program, perhaps, in a place like Canada, where the programs are a bit less expensive and where residency / citizenship is easier to get.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I wouldn't be doing my job otherwise.

Thanks,
Maria

ar21x wrote:
Hello ApplicantLab,
I am a June 2019 pass out in B. Tech ECE with 67.30%. I couldn't find a job and earlier I prepared for CAT and couldn't clear. So afterwards I decided to give GMAT a try I gave my first attempt in FEB 2021 with a score of 530(Q-46,V-17,IR-3) and prepared for 6 months for verbal hoping to get a 680 or so, and apply in Round 1 deadline to get a decent university in USA or Canada and apply in Masters in Finance but I again end up getting a same score 530 (Q-47,V-17,IR-5,AWA-6). I am a little confused should I apply with score of 530 or prepare for 2 months or so and apply in round 2 or to get a job and reapply next year for 2023 intake that would be too much time wasted. Your recommendation is highly appreciated.

There are a few question :-
1. Should I be preparing for IELTS or TOEFL or BOTH side by side as my first preference is USA and second is Canada.
2. If I apply in Round 2 what are the chances of getting admitted considering my profile. I don't want to apply in a low ranking university and have a bleak chance to get employment.
3. Is there anything else you recommend doing side by side to make my profile stronger.
4. I wish to apply with a good GMAT score try to get admitted in a university under 300 rank. Would that be possible if I apply in round 2 with GMAT 650+.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
ApplicantLab

Hello Mam, thank you for your reply.

I am looking to apply in Master in Finance programs not in MBA. Would it be a wise decision to join a B-School for masters in US or Cananda or rather should I get work experience and apply afterwards for MBA ?
I tried so hard to get the job. I got around 50 straight rejections. That's why I plan to do masters.

ApplicantLab wrote:
Hi ar21x ,

Ok, so first things first, I think you should read / watch the video I have on this blog post, since it will help serve as a useful introduction about what MBA programs, especially in the US are looking for:

https://www.applicantlab.com/blog/mba-admissions-committees-needs-meet-needs/

The short version is, that test scores are "necessary, but not sufficient" for admission.

The reason I start off by saying this is that it sounds like (???) you have been unemployed since graduating from college, and if that's the case, then it doesn't matter if you get a (3 million / 800) score on the GMAT and if the Queen of England herself decrees that your level of English is perfect...

... the test scores are just the *START* of what MBA admissions committees look for... but AFTER that, there is a LOOOOOONG road ahead, where the evaluation in sum comes down to how much impact / leadership you've shown *at work*.

So if I'm understanding correctly and you have no substantial work experience, then I don't think any top MBA programs will accept you -- but you could instead look into "MiM" (Masters in Management) programs, which are designed more for less-experienced candidates.

Since you'll now have (?) two years (?) of unemployment on your profile, my advice to you is to instead focus your energies on programs in India, which from what I can tell, seem to care a bit less about work experience and more about test scores.

That is, even if you get a job right now and then after that get the average of about 4 years of experience, you'd still need to explain away the 2 years of unemployment now (which isn't the end of the world, but still, is a bit tough to explain) and, since, the "unscientific" rule is that Indian candidates usually need to score about 30 points avg a school's published average (since Indian candidates are raised in a test-taking culture and thus score 30 points higher than applicants from other countries), a 520 would be considered equivalent to a 490... and a 650 would be roughly considered equivalent to a 620, so you'd also need to spend a couple more years getting that GMAT score up.

In sum, before spending ANY more time and effort into test-preparation, first, learn about what USA business schools (the top ones, at least) are looking for, and focus on developing those experiences.

Otherwise, my best advice would be to try to find a MiM program, perhaps, in a place like Canada, where the programs are a bit less expensive and where residency / citizenship is easier to get.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I wouldn't be doing my job otherwise.

Thanks,
Maria
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.26
WE:Underwriter (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hey experts,

Request to review my profile. Planning to apply Top 10 Canadian FT MBA programs for Fall 22 intake and Top 50 US schools.

Demographic- 27, Male, Indian

GMAT- 640 (Q47 V32).

Education- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering, St. Peter's Engineering College, JNTUH, Hyderabad, India. Grade 73.2%.
- Manufactured a go-kart from scratch after qualifying for national level go-karting competition Ecokart 2016.

Work Experience-
(Nov 2016 - Feb 2021) Assistant Manager at State Bank of India.
- joined as a probationary officer by clearing one of the most competitive banking examinations.
- managed different roles in branch operations and specialized in retail credit.
- processed a record number of applications to enable the Branch to attain inter-bank pan-India second-highest business growth. (Big deal for a small branch)
- awarded 'Best Processing Officer' multiple times.

(Feb 21 - present) Business Associate at PCI.
- tier 1 supplier of electrical components to industries and manufacturing plants.

Post-MBA goals:
Want to establish myself in the supply chain industry working in global corporates such as PnG or Unilever. Upskill to reach the COO position in such companies in the long term.

Extracurricular-
1. Volunteer at YFS and TFI working to educate children of government schools and prepare them for scholarship exams.
2. Launched a plantation drive in the city as a YFS volunteer.
3. Participated in Digital Literacy awareness campaign conducted by the AP government.

Questions
1. What are my chances at Canadian Schools like Alberta, UBC or Concordia? I'm also trying for Top 30-50 US schools such as Scheller, Terry, Warrington etc. Please rate my chances for US as well.
2. GMAT is a big hurdle as I'm scoring low on the test despite scoring above 700 in mocks. Retaking the test would mean missing R1. Please advise if I should target lower GMAT schools or try to improve my score and go for R2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 119
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Maria
ApplicantLab

I really love listening to your youtube talks which clear out a lot of air. Thank you for such interactive sessions. Could you provide your feedback on my profile.

I am a male medical doctor from India (completed education and training from top med-school in my country (AIIMS)). I am a board certified radiologist (M.D. RADIODIAGNOSIS).

I wish to apply to top-10 (Brand- HBS, STANFORD, WHARTON, BOOTH, COLUMBIA, etc), b-schools in USA with interest in consulting (not necessarily healthcare).

PROFILE:
- GMAT score: I have given GMAT 4 times with 710 (Q50, V35) as best score (2nd last attempt).
- GPA- 2.5 (4.0 scale) in undergrad and 2.8 (4.0 scale) in grad school.
- International experience: No international work experience, other than 6 week clerkship at UCLA in 2010 as a part of exchange program with Ronald Reagon medical centre.
- Leadership position: I was social and cultural secretary of Student's union for one year during my medical school (2009) and brought about changes that helped the community. I helped mobilize funds for our school festival (7 day long festival called Pulse) which is Asia's largest medical community festival. I was an active member of the organizing committee for the festival.
- Work Experience: After my post-graduation (completion of degree training as a Radiologist), I worked for a few months (9 months) in govt sector and then moved to private sector. I have been in private job as Consultant Radiologist for past one year and am serving the community in a rural setup.
- Carreer goals: MBB Consulting in US.
- Emory AMI score profile score (tool for evaluation of MBA application)- 683/1000

I am interested in career switch from healthcare into consulting and would preferably wish to work in US.
So my questions are:

I have following questions:
1. Which b-schools should I apply to where I have maximum chances of acceptance?
2. Should I give GMAT again? (feel exhausted)
3. Do you think there is any good chance of acceptance and admit, in applying to Top 10 schools?
4. Is my age a concerning factor with my application?
5. Promotions are not a norm in private healthcare industry as it is a specialist job. Is not getting a promotion a negative aspect of my application?
6. I am concerned about my letter of recommendation, as hospital owner (and my current employer) is also doctor and is not well acquainted with the process of recommendation. What do you suggest, whom should I reach out to?

Thank you so much.
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Send PM