Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: Ask Ivy Groupe MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,
So, I did my MBA in HR from one of the borderline premier institutes in India.
Currently am a HR Manager working with a major sales and distribution firm in India. My role is of HR Business partnering for sales division of an entire state.
Prior to this, post my engineering I had 2 years of solid work ex with a major battery manufacturing firm in the role of product development.
I plan to take the GMAT and go for a second MBA with the sole purpose of transitioning my career out of HR, preferably into general management or strategy.
My query is, would my workex in HR be a major hurdle in getting admitted in the top B schools? Are professionals with work ex in HR given a differential treatment?
Also, will my workex in HR be detrimental to the career transition that I am planning to make while getting a job post the MBA?
Please help!

I havent found any examples of people with HR workex getting into the top B schools. would be great if someone shares such profiles.
Also can anyone guide me regarding whom or where should I talk with regarding my queries?

Here is my profile:
X-92%
XII- 85%
Btech from National Institute of Technology India - 7.31 CGPA
2 years of work ex in New product development role in major battery manufacturing firm. (Market Leader)
MBA in HR from borderline premier institute in India
3-4 years of work ex as HR manager in HR Business Partner role.

TIA :)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your background - I don't think your HR background is a detriment at all. The key will be to point to impact in your prior HR roles as well as to "connect the dots" in your story - in other words, explaining how can you leverage your HR background in your future roles and why you need the 2nd MBA.

I hope that helps - if you'd like to discuss further, feel free to reach out at https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact.

Best,
Shaifali
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 4
WE:Brand Management (Retail)
Send PM
Hello Team Ivy Groupe,

Kindly review my profile and share your valuable inputs.

Profile: I completed my graduation in Fashion designing from one of the top 3 colleges in Asia in 2014 with a CGPA of 7.43. I have been working with the biggest apparel organization in India for past 4 years. Have a healthy work experience across 2 different roles.

Extra-curricular: I am a national level athlete and I am regularly involved in different sports.
Have also won national level quiz competitions. Have been involved with couple of NGOs during my college days.

GMAT (Oct’2017) : 700 (Q-50, V-34, IR-8, AWA-5).

Areas of interest : 1) General Management, 2) Marketing

I need your help in deciding which colleges I should apply.

Should I target US B schools for either R2 this year or R1 next year ? Employment after completing MBA is an important criterion to decide which schools to apply. From few current students I have heard really negative reviews regarding job scenario for international MBA students in US. The situation is not bright in even top 15 colleges. Under the current geo-political situation, will it be a viable option to try for any US school?

With my profile, should I apply in NUS and INSEAD? What are the job scenarios post MBA in Singapore?

Also, I will be looking for a scholarship. Earlier I was targeting top 15 US B schools. Though my profile is extremely unique, my GMAT score is on a lower side. Being from India would go against me. Are there any colleges in top 15 where I can expect admission with scholarship?

I am okay to give GMAT again and if required then wait for one year before applying.

My first shortlist of colleges is below. Should I apply to any of these colleges in R2?
1. Kellogg,
2. Ross,
3. Fuqua,
4. NUS, and
5. ISB

Kindly review my case. Also please let me know if you need any other input to review my candidature. Thanks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your background! As an Indian candidate, you are in a tough demographic, so I would encourage you to retake the GMAT and aim for a 740+ to be more competitive. Most scholarships are merit-based and given out on the strength of the application, so your odds of getting a scholarship would increase with a higher GMAT score. Therefore, I do think it’s worth waiting until next year when you hopefully have a higher GMAT score, so that you can put your best foot forward.

I don’t know what your post-MBA goals are, but given your focus on fashion (both academically and professionally), one program that you may want to consider is NYU, which just introduced a 1-year Fashion & Luxury MBA. I do think it’s a good idea to consider schools outside of the US, since it does seem like the job scene is unfortunately getting tougher for international MBA students in the US. INSEAD is a great school, but having a global perspective is important for candidates – have you had global exposure through your professional role in the apparel organization?

Also, it sounds like you’ve been involved in extracurricular activities, but try to think about the impact that you’ve had in those roles.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Shaifali
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 4
WE:Brand Management (Retail)
Send PM
Hi Shaifali,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will definitely help me a lot. Will answer to some of the points raised. Though my background has been into fashion industry till now, i want to do my masters in General Management. I believe this will make me eligible for job across different industries. This is one of the primary reasons I am considering a two year course as of now. Also, I have had no international experience.

I can't take GMAT before Spring, so should I apply in NUS in this round? It is definitely not as fancy an option as Kellogg/Fuqua but has lot of potential in current time. Also, can you suggest how much time will it take to work on application for NUS, individually and with a consultant.
Will be great if you can shed some light on what are the criteria one should consider while deciding a consultant for a specific college.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there,

As you think about your goals in the future, keep in mind that just talking about "General Management" is quite broad - schools will want to get a sense of the industry you'd like to work in and why (and it should tie in some way to your experiences in the past). Also, business school is a great way to enhance your global exposure and get international experience.

I always tell candidates to apply when they can put their best foot forward. It's difficult to pinpoint the amount of time it takes, since that varies from person to person! When deciding on a consultant, the most important factor to assess is fit (in addition to the consultant's background, expertise/experience in the space, etc). The best way to determine that is by scheduling a call (most consultants offer free 30-minute consultations, including my company, Ivy Groupe).

I hope that helps!

Best,
Shaifali
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Edit

Originally posted by Luckisnoexcuse on 21 Dec 2017, 04:41.
Last edited by Luckisnoexcuse on 09 Jan 2018, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your profile. Overall, you are on the right path with respect to being a competitive candidate at the schools you are targeting (MIT and Kellogg will be more stretch schools, primarily since you come from a tough demographic, but the other schools on your list are within your reach).

Below are a couple of things that you should think about:
- Since you already have a Masters from Delhi University, why do you need the MBA? This would be helpful to address in your applications
- You've done quite a bit on the extracurricular side, but make sure that you are pointing to impact

I hope this is helpful - if it would be helpful to discuss further, feel free to reach out at https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact.

Best,
Shaifali
Send PM
Expert Reply
It's Never Too Early to Start Thinking About Business School

“It’s a marathon, not a sprint.”

There is no doubt about it; applying to business school is a journey. Admissions Committees want to understand what you did in college and how you performed academically, what you have been doing in the workplace, and how your personal experiences have shaped you. While synthesizing all of this information in a business school application can be quite daunting, it doesn’t have to be if you take the time to systematically work through it. Therefore, whether you are applying later this year, a young professional who just graduated from college, or a student still in college, it's never too early to start thinking about business school and the application process.

In my experience, the most successful applications have been those where clients have taken the time to thoughtfully put together the various pieces. Here are three reasons why embarking on your business school journey early will give you a leg up on the competition.

You can get the GMAT/GRE out of the way

Taking the GMAT/GRE is, unfortunately, just one of those things that needs to be done as part of the business school application process. And while some people can ace the exam in one sitting without studying, the majority of applicants need to prepare amply in order to do well. By taking the exam as early as possible, not only do you get it out of the way, but there is also enough time to retake it, if necessary.

Studying for the GMAT/GRE while simultaneously working on the actual business school application can be quite stressful. I have worked with clients who have taken the GMAT/GRE up to the application deadlines and have not scored as well as they were hoping and/or expecting, which has resulted in them either pushing applications to the next round/following application cycle or submitting applications that do not reflect their true potential. This situation is not ideal since it puts undue pressure on you.

By getting the GMAT/GRE out of the way, you can focus all of your attention on the written parts of the application once you are ready to apply.

You can address any weaknesses or gaps in your profile

By starting early, you can take stock of your profile and bolster any weaknesses or gaps so that you are putting your best foot forward once you apply. The most common weakness that I see arising is not doing enough on the extracurricular side. Keep in mind that business schools assess whether or not you will contribute to campus life through your extracurricular activities and the impact that you have had. With time on your side, you will have enough time to actively participate in the community in a meaningful way. It is very difficult to have impact if you begin engaging in extracurricular activities weeks or even a couple of months before application deadlines.

You have enough time to research business schools

Researching business schools is extremely important since throughout the process, from the applications to the interviews, you will have to point to why you want to attend that school, how it will help you attain your post-MBA goals, and why you are a good fit for the school. In this day and age in which we are all seamlessly connected, not engaging with a school on any level is a red flag. What are the best ways to research schools? The first is through a campus visit where you can attend an information session, sit in on a class, and speak with Admissions Officers and students. Since classes are only in session during certain times of the year, such trips should be planned in advance (which is why being ahead in the process is an advantage). However, understanding that it is not always possible to visit campus because of where you may be situated, other ways in which you can learn about business schools is through local information sessions in your city, online webinars, and conversations with current students and alumni. By spending enough time to thoroughly conduct research, you will have much more material to draw from as you work on your applications, which will help to enhance and strengthen them.

By starting early in the business school application process, you will be able to get ahead of your competition while enjoying the experience.

Contact us at https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact or info@ivygroupe.com to schedule a free 30-minute consultation with our Founder, an HBS grad and MBA admissions expert!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I am currently in my 2nd year of college and plan to give my GMAT this year
I am really keen on continuing studies even after graduation hence programs like 2+2 ,silver scholars program appealed to me a lot
How should i make myself a prospective candidate for such highly competitive programs?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Mihika,

Thanks for reaching out! I responded to the message you sent via email.

Best,
Shaifali
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Should i even consider giving gmat?
I have done graduation in BA(pass) .it was a vocational program related to entrepreneurship.what are my chances of getting into top b schools in USA.I have 3 years of work exp
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there,

Without having more information, it is very difficult to say. Note that the following criteria will be very important:

- Undergraduate GPA and what your GMAT score ultimately ends up being (am assuming that you are an Indian male - as a result, the threshold is high and you will need to score very well to have a shot at the top schools)
- Professional trajectory (what have your roles been and have you taken on additional responsibility)
- Extracurricular involvement

So, there are many factors that go into the evaluation - hope that helps.

Best,
Shaifali
Send PM
Expert Reply
4 Tips for Interviews

Congratulations! You've gotten an invitation to interview. While each school may have a different approach towards interviews (for instance, Wharton has had the group interview in recent years), there are some common elements that are the same across all business school interviews that you can prepare for.

Here are four key areas that you should be comfortable with before setting foot into an interview.

Know your story

This point may seem obvious, but interestingly, when I ask clients this question during mock interviews, I hear a lot of the what and less of the why. The what are the facts - what school you went to for college, what you studied, where you are working, what your post-MBA goals are, etc. The why provides the color and the context. The why should focus on the following questions: why did you decide to study [fill in the blank] in college and/or pursue your current career path? Why did you decide to join a particular company? Why are you interested in pursuing your post-MBA career goals? Remember, most interviews are not "blind;" in other words, your interviewer would have read your resume (which is often the case with most alumni interviewers) or would have read your entire application (which is often the case when interviewing with an Admissions Committee member). Therefore, your interviewers will be most interested in understanding your motivations and passions since they already know the facts.

Know the specifics of the school

Knowing why you want to go to business school is a given, but beyond that, it's extremely important to be able to convey why a particular school is appealing to you and why that school will prepare you to attain your post-MBA goals. This means being very specific. For instance, what particular classes are you interested in taking and why? Are there professors teaching at the school who are focusing on research topics that are especially pertinent to your post-MBA goals? What specific extracurricular activities and clubs do you want to participate in and why? In turn, how do you see yourself contributing to the school?

It's also really important to understand the culture of a school and why you'll be a good fit. To answer this, draw upon knowledge of the school that you have gained from visiting, attending information sessions, listening to webinars, and speaking with students/alumni.

Prepare for behavioral questions

Most interviews will have a couple of behavioral questions, which are meant to assess how you act in different situations. By asking these questions, schools use your past as an indicator of how you will act in the future. These questions are usually in the form of "Tell me about a time when..." The key to acing these questions is by answering them with specific examples. So, for instance, if the question is about a time when you led a team, answer with a specific example that shows how you led a team. During mock interviews, clients often answer by generally talking about how they lead, which is not the right way to answer! Always have some specific examples in your back pocket (professional and extracurricular) that you can pull out to answer such questions.

Prepare questions to ask your interviewer

Finally, prepare two or three questions that you can ask your interviewer in case you are given the opportunity to do so. These should be thoughtful questions - not questions where you could easily find the responses on a school's website. Also keep your interviewer in mind as you prepare your questions; are you interviewing with an alum or with a member of the Admissions Committee? Questions about experiences at a school make sense to ask an alum, but not necessarily to an Admissions Committee member who did not attend the school as a student.

You've made the toughest cut by receiving an invitation to interview! By keeping these interview tips in mind as you prepare, you'll be much more confident on the day of the interview.

Feel free to contact us at https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact or info@ivygroupe.com if we can help you prepare for your interviews and/or to schedule a free 30-minute consultation with our Founder, an HBS grad and MBA admissions expert, if you are applying in 2018!

Ivy Groupe (https://www.ivygroupe.com) is a boutique MBA admissions consulting company providing personalized and customized services to clients applying to top-tier MBA programs. Its Founder/CEO, Shaifali Aggarwal, is a graduate of Harvard Business School and Princeton University as well as a member of the Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants (AIGAC). Ivy Groupe’s mission is to help clients achieve their dreams so that they can impact the world; the company is passionate about business, leadership, success, and impact. Through its packages/services, Ivy Groupe helps clients craft authentic, differentiated, and compelling applications that stand out. Shaifali has spent over five years successfully coaching hundreds of diverse applicants to top-tier MBA programs. Because of her deep knowledge of the MBA application process, she has been quoted in U.S. News, has been a featured speaker on the QS World MBA Tour, and has led webinars on Beat The GMAT and GMAT Club focusing on the MBA application process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Social Work (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out and for sharing your profile. Without delving into your applications, it’s tough to say why you may have gotten the outcomes you have thus far in Round 2. However, a few questions pop up in my mind based on what you have shared:

- Given that you haven’t had title progression professionally, did your recommenders emphasize how you have taken on more responsibility in your roles?

- Other than the Global Impact Fund Challenge at GS, how else have you shown an interest in impact investing? In other words, it’s not entirely clear how the dots are being connected in your story

- What else have you been doing on the extracurricular side post-college? Have you taken on any leadership roles?

I think it would be easiest to schedule a free 30-minute consultation so that I can understand your background/story better. Please feel free to reach out to me at info@ivygroupe.com so that we can find a mutually convenient time that works. I hope this is helpful - looking forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Shaifali
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Greetings!

I am planning to apply for mba program in next year, I need to evaluate my profile and will be thankful if you'll help me with that!

My profile:
Nationality - Georgia
Age- 27
Sex - M
Bachelor's Degree - Business Administration

Work experience - 7 years
Including global insurance company (Vienna Insurance Group) as a head of sales group
launched my company which was selling building materials
Was Plenipotentiary representative in matters related to the Black Sea Port projects of Georgia
Business adviser to head of economic development office at Tbilisi city hall (capital of Georgia)
Head of financial and economic office (at one of the city hall's NNLE)
shareholder of the company which is trading different infrastructure materials
I was leading several analytic groups during the elections to help certain political party.

Have great references (including politicians; CEOs of financial institutes e.t.c.)

I have not taken GMAT test yet, but planning to get from 650-700

Main problem for me is my GPA, which is 2.63. the reason, I had some problems in my family during my student life.

My target MBA schools are: IE, IESE, ESADE, Oxford (Said), Cambridge (judge).

Also I am not looking for scholarships, I can finance my tuition fees by my self (I do not know if it will help me)

So please can you tell me if I have chances to get admission in one of these schools with this low GPA?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6