GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 12:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Ivy Groupe MBA Admissions Consulting

new topic post reply Update application status  
Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Re: Ask Ivy Groupe MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 14:51
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your background and for your question. The lower GPA will make it tougher, so there are a few things that I would suggest doing:

- Aim for a GMAT score that is above the schools’ median/average scores - the higher that you can score, the better, since it will show that you can handle the rigor of the curriculum

- Take quant classes (such as statistics or calculus) online or at a local college and do well in those courses (again, to show that you can handle the rigor of the MBA curriculum)

- You’ll want to make sure that your story and applications are as strong as they can be – if I can help on that front, feel free to let me know

I hope this helps!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 01:54
Hello IvyGroupeCEO ,

Can you please review my profile?

https://gmatclub.com/forum/profile-eval ... l#p2020997
Expert Post
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 09:20
Hi Piyush,

Thanks for sharing your background – my thoughts on your questions are below:

1. This is a tough question to answer without really knowing what you have achieved in your role professionally (or would have achieved by the time you apply). If you have worked on assignments where you have demonstrated leadership/impact (even though you may be more junior) then applying for the 2019 intake would be fine. But if you think that the extra year will give you more of the leadership/impact exposure, then it would be better to wait.

2. I would not recommend changing your industry just so that you are doing something different – any career transition should fit in with respect to your career objectives/goals. To differentiate yourself, think about your story – who are you beyond being an IT professional? Helping clients craft their story for business school is what Ivy Groupe excels in – if you would like to explore further, feel free to let me know.

3. School choice is a very personal decision – a lot has to do with your goals and what you see as a good fit. Since you come from a tough demographic, the top 4-5 schools will be a stretch, but beyond that, given that your grades and GPA score are strong, the schools should be targets for you.

I hope that helps!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 21:51
IvyGroupeCEO wrote:
Hi Piyush,

Thanks for sharing your background – my thoughts on your questions are below:

1. This is a tough question to answer without really knowing what you have achieved in your role professionally (or would have achieved by the time you apply). If you have worked on assignments where you have demonstrated leadership/impact (even though you may be more junior) then applying for the 2019 intake would be fine. But if you think that the extra year will give you more of the leadership/impact exposure, then it would be better to wait.

2. I would not recommend changing your industry just so that you are doing something different – any career transition should fit in with respect to your career objectives/goals. To differentiate yourself, think about your story – who are you beyond being an IT professional? Helping clients craft their story for business school is what Ivy Groupe excels in – if you would like to explore further, feel free to let me know.

3. School choice is a very personal decision – a lot has to do with your goals and what you see as a good fit. Since you come from a tough demographic, the top 4-5 schools will be a stretch, but beyond that, given that your grades and GPA score are strong, the schools should be targets for you.

I hope that helps!

Best,
Shaifali

IvyGroupeCEO
Thank you for your feedback, I can't help but notice that your charges are approx 10,000 USD for 4 schools. The price is quite steep for me, are there chances of any reductions that you might be able to provide. Also, is there an office in India ?.

Also, can you provide me some colleges that I could apply to with 2 years of work ex. I'm thinking of choosing Kellog, Tuck and McCombs.
Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 07:57
Hi Piyush,

Yes! We are offering discounts for signing up early. I'd love to hop on the phone with you to talk about the different options, if that works? Let me know - if you can send an email to info@ivygroupe.com with your resume (so I have a better sense of your background) and some days/times that would work for you to speak, that would be great.

We don't have an office in India, but every year, I work with clients who are based there and there has never been any issues with the logistics/time difference.

In terms of school choice, as I mentioned, a lot comes down to what your goals are and the fit. However, of the schools you have mentioned, Tuck tends to skew a little more on the older side with respect to age - other schools that you may want to consider given your age are Darden, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, and Kenan-Flagler.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 08:55
Featured in US News Article: “How to Get Into Multiple Top Business Schools”

At Ivy Groupe, we believe very strongly that each candidate's unique experiences are what set him/her apart. Our philosophy focuses on authenticity and storytelling to help clients craft compelling and differentiated applications that stand out. With this approach, our clients have gained admission to top-tier MBA programs such as Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, MIT, Columbia, Booth, Tuck, Haas, and Yale, among others.

As a result, I am excited to share that I was recently quoted in a US News Article where I emphasize the importance of authenticity and conveying one’s unique experiences in MBA applications. The article, “How to Get Into Multiple Top Business Schools,” can be accessed here.

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 08:35
Ivy Groupe is a boutique MBA admissions consulting company founded by Shaifali Aggarwal, who received her MBA from Harvard Business School and undergraduate degree from Princeton University. Shaifali’s philosophy focuses on authenticity and storytelling to help clients craft compelling and differentiated applications that stand out. With this approach, Shaifali’s clients have gained admission to top-tier MBA programs such as Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, MIT, Columbia, Booth, Tuck, and Yale, among others.

We are excited to introduce our Bundled Packages, designed to accommodate any budget and still give you direct access to Shaifali, a Harvard MBA and MBA admissions expert.

With our Bundled Packages, you would take the Crafting Compelling Business School Applications course (authored by Shaifali) and then purchase add-ons to get additional guidance/feedback from Shaifali.

​Through this foundational course (priced at $399), you will learn how to put together the strongest applications possible to maximize your chances of getting into the MBA programs of your choice. The course is broken into 6 modules with sub-sections, digging into topics such as what to think about before applying to business school, how to approach the application (story/strategy, goals, resume, essays, etc.), and how to prepare for interviews:

​Module 1: What Admissions Committees Look For
Module 2: How Many Schools To Apply To And When To Apply
Module 3: Developing Your Application Story/Strategy
Module 4: Crafting Your Application
Module 5: Post-submission
Module 6: Parting Thoughts

When you purchase this course, you are eligible for add-ons if you are seeking additional help on your applications. Please note that Shaifali will be your primary Consultant for ALL of the add-ons.

You can learn more about the course and the add-ons by clicking here.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 20:09
Hello Shaifali,

I am little confused to decide between EMBA and Full Time MBA. Here is my profile.

Indian Male/33 age
Bachelors -ECE - 3.7 From Andhra University
Master - EE - 3.67 from SIUE (US) graduated in Dec 2009.

I have a work experience of 9 years in analytics in financial and retail companies, of which 50% in consulting and 50% full time.

I am preparing to give GMAT in this May and planning to start MBA in either Finance or Consulting by fall 2019.

Please advice.

Thank you,
Neelakant
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 17:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Neelakant / iamfirestar,

Thanks for sharing your background! There are a few things that you should take into account as you decide between an EMBA and the full-time MBA:

- What are your post-MBA goals? The full-time MBA program is typically better for those who are looking to make a career transition and where having an internship would be helpful. If you are already in a senior role, EMBA programs may be better – note, though, that most people who pursue an EMBA are typically looking to take on more senior roles within their current companies. As a result, EMBA programs usually ask for a letter of sponsorship from your company given the time commitment that it will require

- What are you looking to get out of the MBA program that you attend? Full-time programs usually foster closer relationships and networking opportunities since students are spending a lot of time together. But there is also a large opportunity cost since you are giving up income for 2 years. On the other hand, the opportunity cost for EMBA programs is lower since students are simultaneously working and studying

- Your demographic and age – you are on the older side of MBA applicants and come from a tough demographic (Indian male). While not impossible, applying to the full-time MBA programs will be tougher and you will have to be very clear as to how the MBA will help you at this point in your career

I hope these questions will help to guide your thought process as you consider the EMBA and full-time programs. There is no one right answer – but the first step towards deciding what is right for YOU is to do some introspection and soul searching!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 07:44
4 Common Mistakes of International Applicants

International applicants can contribute a lot to business schools given their perspective and experience in certain regions of the world; however, through my work with international applicants, I have noticed four areas in which international applicants tend to falter the most when applying to business school. These four areas are outlined below.

Lack of extracurricular activities

Many international applicants, having grown up in environments where academics and strong professional experience are emphasized, lack engagement in extracurricular activities where they have had meaningful impact. Many international applicants are under the impression that with strong undergraduate grades, a high GMAT/GRE score, and strong recommendation letters, they have a great shot at being accepted to top-tier MBA programs. Unfortunately, that is not enough. It is extremely important for all applicants (including international ones) to become involved in extracurricular activities in leadership roles and demonstrate impact. By doing so, international applicants will be ahead of their international competitors.

Not drawing upon unique personal experiences and perspectives

Through my experiences, I have seen that international applicants tend to focus more heavily on their professional experiences in the essays (and often it's just a rehash of their resume); this is likely due to cultural norms where sharing personal stories is frowned upon. While professional achievements should be highlighted, it is just as important to highlight personal experiences as well. Admissions Committees want to understand your values, motivations, and what has shaped you; these elements can often help an international applicant stand out from the crowd. For example, did you overcome or learn how to manage a health issue? Did you face resistance in areas of your life because of your gender? Did you go against cultural norms to achieve your goals?

Generic recommendation letters

Often because of cultural norms, recommendation letters from international applicants tend to be more generic and muted. However, the reality is that MBA programs are accustomed to hearing more glowing language that is supported by specific examples. International applicants can guide their recommenders so that the recommendation letters are more in line with what top-tier business schools are expecting and looking for.

Narrow school selection

International applicants tend to choose schools solely based on brand. While this is understandable, it's important to broaden the schools to which you are applying given how competitive the MBA admissions process is. Think about your post-MBA goals and research multiple MBA programs. Outside of the M7 (the top seven schools), there are fantastic schools that will help you attain your goals and will be great fits.

By being aware of these four common mistakes, you will be in a better position to navigate the application process as an international applicant.

Applying in the near future? Contact us at https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact or info@ivygroupe.com to schedule a free 30-minute consultation with our Founder, an HBS grad and MBA admissions expert!

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 13:15
Featured in US News Article: “What It Takes to Get Accepted at a Top MBA Program”

This question is often top of mind for many MBA candidates. I am excited to share that I was recently quoted in a US News Article where I stress how demonstrating problem skills is one way to stand out in the MBA application pool. The article can be accessed here.

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO

Re: Ask Ivy Groupe MBA Admissions Consulting   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2018, 13:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Ask Ivy Groupe MBA Admissions Consulting

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap