GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 00:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ask Ivy Groupe MBA Admissions Consulting

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask Ivy Groupe MBA Admissions Consulting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 18:31
IvyGroupeCEO wrote:
Hi DTW123,

Thanks for your message - if both your quant and verbal scores are above an 80th percentile, then in my view, your GRE score is fine (if your quant score is not above an 80th percentile, then I would suggest retaking it). I have worked with clients who have been admitted to the schools of their choice with the GRE, and I am seeing more that schools are becoming indifferent between the two exams (GMAT and GRE). Hope this helps.

Best,
Shaifali

Shaifali,

Thank you for your response. My current verbal percentile is at 94 and my quant percentile is at 77. 1 more point would put me in the 80th percentile. Do you think the 1 or 2 points would be the difference maker?

Thanks,
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
S
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 11:15
Hi DTW123,

Since you are so close to the 80th percentile threshold, you would probably be better off focusing on your applications and putting together strong materials.

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 09:21
Hi Shaifali,

I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Overview: I am a 28 year old male from the Dominican Republic
Work Experience: 4+ years working for a PE/VC fund in the Dominican Republic specialized in investing in the financial service & finch industry in the Latin American region.
Post-Grad Goal: return to my current employer (they will sponsor the MBA) as a manager and eventually become partner.
GMAT: 710 (Q48/V39)
Undergrad: BS in Business/Finance, Minor in Mathematics from Southern Connecticut State University, 3.44 GPA (I received a scholarship for swimming).
Extracurricular: 3x All America college swimmer, Financial Management Association (FMA) Chapter President
Graduate studies: Finance Masters from Harvard Extension School (GPA: 3.65); Certificate in Advanced Valuation (high honors) from Stern School of Business, NYU.
Recommenders: Managing partner and Sr. Partner at the fund I work for.
Schools applying to: Columbia (early decision), NYU (R1), Haas (R2), Yale (R2)... I am open to a recommendation for a 5th school

Regards,

MN
S
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 11:30
Hi nesralam1,

Thanks for your message - overall, you have an interesting profile, but the biggest question that you will need to address is if you are planning to return to your employer, why do you need the MBA? In other words, why can't you just stay on the path that you are on without the MBA? This is a standard question for PE/VC candidates returning to their companies post-MBA, but it's something that you should be very comfortable addressing as you work on your applications.

Your GPA and GMAT score are just a tad below what I like to see for the M7 schools (including Columbia), but in my view, a strong story can help to overcome that. Other schools that you may want to think about are Ross and Fuqua.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO

S

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 15:26
Note: This post first appeared on Ivy Groupe's blog

5 Questions to Address Before Submitting Your Business School Applications

You’ve worked hard to craft your business school applications, which is why it’s worth taking some extra time to make sure all of the pieces are in place. With deadlines for Round 1 fast approaching, here are five questions to address before hitting the submit button.

Is each application portraying a holistic picture?

All of the different parts of the application, when viewed together, should convey your qualities and your unique, authentic story. As you work on each aspect of the application (such as the essays, resume, etc.), it’s easy to get absorbed in that particular section and forget that it should fit in with your broader story. Therefore, take some time to step back and view the larger picture. You can also ask trusted family and friends to spend 15-20 minutes reviewing your application and then stating their key takeaways.

Read more here.

Applying in the near future? Contact us at https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact or info@ivygroupe.com to request a free 20-minute consultation with our Founder, an HBS grad and MBA admissions expert!

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO

Intern
Intern
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 19:55
Hello,
Please find a brief of my profile below. I thank you in anticipation for your help!

Age – 30 years Male, Nationality – Indian, planning to apply for Canadian citizenship if I end up in a good MBA program so that I can avoid H1B circus post graduation  (applying only for US universities)

Education: B.Tech & M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering/Energy Technology from one of the top 5 IITs in India (GPA – 3.6/4 as per WES assessment), MSc in Mechanical Engineering from one of the top 5 Canadian University (GPA – 3.8/4)

GMAT – 690 (Q51, V31, IR6), planning to apply only for safe schools during R1 2018, need to retake GMAT to cross 730 to be able to apply for target schools during R2.

WE: Total 5 years by next year (4 years in Canada and 1 year in India : 2.5 years in a top energy management consultancy firm which runs energy efficiency programs in North America, 1.5 years in other energy audit firms, and 1 year in a big oil). Two promotions in past 1.5 years in the current company.

Internships: 2 research interns during undergrad – 3 months in an European university and 3 months in SIEMENS in its energy research group)

Publications – Couple of publications in reputed journals (Electrochimica Acta, Journal of The Electrochemical Society)

Scholarships – 1 during undergrad, 3 during grad school (2 of them are pretty reputed)

Extra curricular and Community Services:
• Digitally teaching students for advanced math and engineering preparatory courses - requirement to register for professional engineering licensure in Canadian provinces. Helped 50+ students to successfully pass courses
• Mentor and registration presenter for a professional engineering regulatory body of a Canadian province
• Charity member for Christian Children Fund
• Member of the Bridges program at the International Centre during grad studies. Delivered presentations to improve cultural awareness for India in local schools, community organizations, and post-secondary classrooms
• Participated as a judge in various science fairs held in a Canadian city and motivated participating high school students for science and technology
• Conducted mock exams of IIT-JEE (entrance exam for B.Tech courses in IITs) in an Indian city for the first time. Created market and improved uptake in subsequent year by collaborating with local students, tutoring companies and merchants
• Acoustic guitarist and member of the choreography team during undergrad
• Led, designed and conducted various design events at the annual technical festival during undergrad
• Secured All India Rank 2nd in the engineering entrance mock exam conducted by Mastermind Classes (tutoring company operating across India)
• Passed the requirements in mental and physical development for 3rd KYU in the art of **** RYU KARATE DO

Post MBA Goal – Energy IB

I will be applying for MBA programs and universities that are reputed for energy. On that note, I will appreciate if somebody can please suggest few safe as well as target schools I could pursue based on my profile. I am targeting to matriculate by Fall 2019.
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 07:26
Hi gmatenthureturns,

Thanks for sharing your background! Given your focus on energy, here are a few schools that I would suggest that you look at: University of Texas McCombs, Rice Jones School of Business, and Duke Fuqua.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO

Re: Ask Ivy Groupe MBA Admissions Consulting &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 07:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 67 posts ] 

Ask Ivy Groupe MBA Admissions Consulting

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap