GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 17:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At a certain library, audio books on CDs can be checked out for three

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
At a certain library, audio books on CDs can be checked out for three [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 23:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:52) correct 56% (01:27) wrong based on 150 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At a certain library, audio books on CDs can be checked out for three weeks at a time while music CDs can be checked out for only ten days at a time. The library initially categorized audio books in such a way that they could only be checked out for ten days at a time, but the library director recently changed the library's policies so that audio books could be checked out for three weeks at a time.
Which of the following is a premise upon which the library director's decision could have been based?

A. In the ways that people use them, audio books are more similar to printed books than they are to recorded music.
B. audio books cost, on average, more than twice as much as the equivalent hardcover version of the printed book.
C. People who checked out audio books, like people who checked out recorded music, often kept the library's materials longer than the authorized ten-day period.
D. Because most people can listen to a story for a longer period than they can read the same story, most people finish audio books faster than they could finish the printed version.
E. To get the most out of a book, people should read the original edition of the printed text instead of a condensed audio book version.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: At a certain library, audio books on CDs can be checked out for three [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 03:45
aragonn wrote:
At a certain library, audio books on CDs can be checked out for three weeks at a time while music CDs can be checked out for only ten days at a time. The library initially categorized audio books in such a way that they could only be checked out for ten days at a time, but the library director recently changed the library's policies so that audio books could be checked out for three weeks at a time.
Which of the following is a premise upon which the library director's decision could have been based?

A. In the ways that people use them, audio books are more similar to printed books than they are to recorded music.
B. audio books cost, on average, more than twice as much as the equivalent hardcover version of the printed book.
C. People who checked out audio books, like people who checked out recorded music, often kept the library's materials longer than the authorized ten-day period.
D. Because most people can listen to a story for a longer period than they can read the same story, most people finish audio books faster than they could finish the printed version.
E. To get the most out of a book, people should read the original edition of the printed text instead of a condensed audio book version.

IMO C
but not sure seems better than other.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos if i am correct then i will give explanation
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: At a certain library, audio books on CDs can be checked out for three [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 06:21
I would go with A.

I would not go with C because it also includes "like people who checked out recorded music". Thus, it is not logical enough and would convey that even recorded music should be allowed for a longer period. This is does not support the decision of the library director.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q51 V27

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 23:54
IMO the answer shall be 'A'. The premise for increasing the duration of keeping the audio books is rightly brought out in 'A' i.e comparing it with printed books. Additionally, comparing audio books with music CDs would be wrong, which is also brought out in 'A'.
Option 'C' says the opposite. According to option 'C', the duration for both audio and music CDs shall be increased, which is not the case.
Re: At a certain library, audio books on CDs can be checked out for three   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2018, 23:54

At a certain library, audio books on CDs can be checked out for three

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap