Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 16 Jul 2019, 20:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attended the semi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attended the semi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2005, 23:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:36) correct 29% (01:37) wrong based on 595 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attended the seminar on the first day. What percent of those registered did not attend the seminar on either day?

(1) A total of 1,000 people registered for the two-day seminar.

(2) Of those registered, 80 percent attended the seminar on the second day.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attended the semi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2017, 18:20
The information from the original problem plus statement (1) give you the first circle (900). Insufficient to solve for Neither.
The information from the original problem plus statement (2) give you the second circle (800). Also Insufficient to solve for Neither.

Together, you still have no idea how many individuals addended Both days. Since the proper formula for such a situation is
Total = Group 1 + Group 2 - Both + Neither, in our case we have
1000 = 900 + 800 - Both + Neither.
Since we are still left with two variables (B and N), the correct answer is E.
Manager
Manager
Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attended the semi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2005, 11:30
At a two day seminar, 90% of those registered attended the seminar on the first day. What percent of those registered did not attend the seminar on either day?

(1) A total of 1,000 people registered for the two-day seminar
(2) Of those registered, 80% attended the seminar on the 2nd day

Main Stem: 90% attended on First Day

Statement I:
1000 Registered....We dont know how many attended on Second Day And how many attended on both the days......Insufficient

Statement II:
80% on II day; We dont know how many attended on both the days to find the NONE.......Insufficient

Even after combining Statements I & II, we dont get the percentage attended on both the days to calculate the percentage who didnt attend at all....

Hence Answer is E
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2006, 16:30
The answer is E. We do not have enough information to solve this problem, because we don't know what percentage the overlap of attendance was between the two days. For example, all 80% that attended the second day also attended the first day. This would result in 10 % of people who didn't attend either day. however, if only 7/8 of the 80% that attended the second day also attended the first day, then you'd have 0% that attended either day. Since we could have multiple values that fulfill this, we cannot answer the question.

Statement 1 is irrelevant.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2007, 13:03
I am getting E on this one.

1) INSUFFICIENT: This tells us that 900 people attended the seminar on the first day. 100 people did not atttend. But we know nothing about day 2.

2) INSUFFICIENT: We don't have any numbers to calculate how many people actually went to the seminar on both days.

Together: We know that 100 people did not attend on day 1 and that 200 people did not attend on day 2. But these could be unique people, so that 0% did not attend the seminars on either day. It could also be that the 100 people who did not attend on day 1 did not attend on day 2. So together insufficient.

A venn diagram would only be useful if we knew something about the overlap, ie how many people who went to the seminar on day 1 that also went on day 2. Since we have nothing on that, I am thinking E.
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 01:43
TeHCM wrote:
At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attended the seminar on the first day. What percent of those registered did not attend the seminar on either day?

(1) A total of 1,000 people registered for the two-day seminar.

(2) Of those registered, 80 percent attended the seminar on the second day.

Can somebody help me to solve this question through matrix ? I was unable to form matrix. Please help me.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V20
GPA: 3.82

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 08:22
Total = Group 1 + Group 2 - Both + Neither, in our case we have
1000 = 900 + 800 - Both + Neither.
Since we are still left with two variables (B and N), the correct answer is E.
Re: At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attended the semi   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2019, 08:22

At a two-day seminar, 90 percent of those registered attended the semi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics