Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [50]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [6]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: At Tuesday's press conference Ms. Franco who headed her country's anti [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
At Tuesday's press conference Ms. Franco, who headed her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines for simply banning items that had already been used in prior hijacking attempts without making a significant effort or anticipating the means of future attempts.

A. who headed her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines for simply banning items that had already been used in prior hijacking attempts without making a significant effort or anticipating

B. the former head of her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines that had banned items simply used in prior attempts at hijacking and had not made a significant effort to anticipate

C. the former eight-year head of her country's antiterrorism committee, criticized airlines simply for banning items that had already been used in hijacking attempts and made no significant effort in anticipating

D. who headed her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines for simply banning items used in prior hijacking attempts and making no significant effort to anticipate

E. who had for eight years headed her country's antiterrorism committee, criticizing airlines that had simply banned items already used in previous hijacking attempts, made no significant effort at anticipating

skywalker

The use of past perfect vis-à-vis simple is a slippery issue even for natives as elucidated by our Reference Manual RON.

I think you are correct in asking why the use of 'already and prior' cannot be considered redundant along with past perfect.
But A has several other issues also.

1. It simply uses a simple past for the verb 'headed". However, it doesn't use any other time reference such as earlier or previous.
Why should we not use a present perfect for 'headed' since her tenure was deeper in the past than when she addressed the conference?
This point holds good for A through D.

2. What does the prepositional modifier 'without making a significant effort or anticipating" modify? You may see that it is not set off by a comma. Therefore if might modify the noun in front ,namely, 'the hijacking attempts', which doesn't make any sense. If somebody suggests that the modifier could modify the previous clause namely "items that had already been used in prior hijacking attempts" then also it makes no sense. It is the airlines that is the modifies noun and it is far away and theree is a verb in between to reckon with.

In any case, I think A is a dead issue, because the author doesn't claim it isthe OA.

In other choices also we can go on picking holes if we delve deeper.

However, D is significantly different from the rest in the use of the word 'prior" You may see that 'prior' does not refer to the used items but to the hijacking attempts. By leaving out the words 'had and already', one can say that "used" now means ' that were used', a simple past.

We must wait for the OE.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [1]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: At Tuesday's press conference Ms. Franco who headed her country's anti [#permalink]
Kudos
arnabs wrote:
pqhai wrote:
At Tuesday's press conference Ms. Franco, who headed her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines for simply banning items that had already been used in prior hijacking attempts without making a significant effort or anticipating the means of future attempts.

A.who headed her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines for simply banning items that had already been used in prior hijacking attempts without making a significant effort or anticipating
Wrong.
- Meaning problem. It seems items used in prior hijacking attempts without making significant effort...... <== "without significant effort" modifies verb "used". That does not make sense.
- A correct parallel structure should be "criticized for banning.....and (for) making no significant effort. But that is not the case here.

B.the former head of her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines that had banned items simply used in prior attempts at hijacking and had not made a significant effort to anticipate
Wrong.
- Because there is no second "that" before "and had not made" ==> It's not clear that "criticized || had not made" OR "had banned || had not made".

C.the former eight-year head of her country's antiterrorism committee, criticized airlines simply for banning items that had already been used in hijacking attempts and made no significant effort in anticipating
Wrong.
- Parallelism problem: criticized || made <== Wrong.

D.who headed her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines for simply banning items used in prior hijacking attempts and making no significant effort to anticipate
CORRECT.

E.who had for eight years headed her country's antiterrorism committee, criticizing airlines that had simply banned items already used in previous hijacking attempts, made no significant effort at anticipating

Wrong.
- Criticizing <== Wrong verb-ing modifier. It should be a main verb - criticized.
- "made" is wrong because if we omit the verb-ing modifier part, it seems Ms. Franco made no effort. That's wrong.

Hope it helps.

"simply banning" is that correct??
simply - adverb
banning - gerund or a noun (verb + ing)
how can an adverb describe a noun ??[/quote]

Your question made me curious and i try finding answer, here is the explanation
"you can also modify a gerund from within the gerundial construction, where it functions as a verb, so you use an adverb: She left by quickly crossing the street and hailing a cab"
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos

A. who headed her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines for simply banning items that had already been used in prior hijacking attempts without making a significant effort or anticipating - illogical meaning- without making a significant effort or anticipating-- these are two separate actions -- what the sentence intends to say is that without making a significant effort to anticipate;
usage of past perfect seems incorrect

B. the former head of her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines that had banned items simply used in prior attempts at hijacking and had not made a significant effort to anticipate - 'former head for eight years' has a meaning problem - It's unclear whether she's spent eight years as the former head - that is, it's been 8 years since she quit - or whether, instead, she was the head for eight years before quitting ;

C. the former eight-year head of her country's antiterrorism committee, criticized airlines simply for banning items that had already been used in hijacking attempts and made no significant effort in anticipating- parallelism issue - criticized and made -- illogical meaning ; the former eight-year head seems awkward

D. who headed her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines for simply banning items used in prior hijacking attempts and making no significant effort to anticipate - Correct

E. who had for eight years headed her country's antiterrorism committee, criticizing airlines that had simply banned items already used in previous hijacking attempts, made no significant effort at anticipating - illogical meaning - Ms. Franco made no significant effort is illogical;

1. Isn't the usage of past perfect tense in A,B,C and E redundant? In A,B and E, prior and previous have been used as a time marker and even in case of C(without any such marker) is clear.

2. Also, in B "airlines that had banned items" or in E "airlines that had simply banned items"
is the meaning change acceptable? The original sentence talks about airlines in general, whereas these sentences talk about only those airlines that banned items?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , DmitryFarber , daagh , generis , other experts - please enlighten

Answer D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
pqhai wrote:

A.who headed her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines for simply banning items that had already been used in prior hijacking attempts without making a significant effort or anticipating
Wrong.
- Meaning problem. It seems items used in prior hijacking attempts without making significant effort...... <== "without significant effort" modifies verb "used". That does not make sense.
- A correct parallel structure should be "criticized for banning.....and (for) making no significant effort. But that is not the case here.

B.the former head of her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines that had banned items simply used in prior attempts at hijacking and had not made a significant effort to anticipate
Wrong.
- Because there is no second "that" before "and had not made" ==> It's not clear that "criticized || had not made" OR "had banned || had not made".

C.the former eight-year head of her country's antiterrorism committee, criticized airlines simply for banning items that had already been used in hijacking attempts and made no significant effort in anticipating
Wrong.
- Parallelism problem: criticized || made <== Wrong.

D.who headed her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines for simply banning items used in prior hijacking attempts and making no significant effort to anticipate
CORRECT.

E.who had for eight years headed her country's antiterrorism committee, criticizing airlines that had simply banned items already used in previous hijacking attempts, made no significant effort at anticipating

Wrong.
- Criticizing <== Wrong verb-ing modifier. It should be a main verb - criticized.
- "made" is wrong because if we omit the verb-ing modifier part, it seems Ms. Franco made no effort. That's wrong.

Hope it helps.[/quote]

"simply banning" is that correct??
simply - adverb
banning - gerund or a noun (verb + ing)
how can an adverb describe a noun ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Would you say there is a logical / correct way to attack this problem? I tried to look at the split first "who headed" vs "the former head" and both seemed possible at first. I then had to read through each problem choice to narrow down my answer. Just curious if there was another tactic / major call out that I might have missed?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
jadorexox wrote:
Would you say there is a logical / correct way to attack this problem? I tried to look at the split first "who headed" vs "the former head" and both seemed possible at first. I then had to read through each problem choice to narrow down my answer. Just curious if there was another tactic / major call out that I might have missed?

I think even before looking at the reference part, you can spot fr parallelism errors in the subordinate section.
According to me both are ok. Its the second part that has real problems
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hi.
To me the use of past perfect continuous 'had been' in option A looks correct. Would be helpful, if some one can validate this. I understand other reasons for which option A is incorrect.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
At Tuesday's press conference Ms. Franco who headed her country's anti [#permalink]
JarvisR wrote:

A. who headed her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines for simply banning items that had already been used in prior hijacking attempts without making a significant effort or anticipating - Incorrect, meaning error. "Without making significant effort .... ?" This portion remains incomplete.

B. the former head of her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines that had banned items simply used in prior attempts at hijacking and had not made a significant effort to anticipate Incorrect. Parallelism and usage error.
Usage error. You don't say former head for so many years
Parallelism error. If you read the second part that follows 'and', it reads as "criticized airlines had not ....". This is incorrect.

C. the former eight-year head of her country's antiterrorism committee, criticized airlines simply for banning items that had already been used in hijacking attempts and made no significant effort in anticipating
Usage error. Same as B
Parallelism error. banning and made

D. who headed her country's antiterrorism committee for eight years, criticized airlines for simply banning items used in prior hijacking attempts and making no significant effort to anticipate Correct

E. who had for eight years headed her country's antiterrorism committee, criticizing airlines that had simply banned items already used in previous hijacking attempts, made no significant effort at anticipating Incorrect. No main verb
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
I would like to offer a suggestion on how one can approach this question. I found it much easier to solve this question by analysing the original sentence's main clause. This approach helps because it conveys the intended meaning and simplifies the task at hand by removing the waffle of subordinate clause. In this manner, we can eliminate all but one answer choice - D.

"Ms. Franco...criticized airlines for simply banning items that had already been used in prior hijacking attempts without making a significant effort or anticipating the means of future attempts.

We can clearly see the issues with this main clause. The task has now been made much simpler. No answer choice, except for D, corrects the main clause. This approach saves a lot of time.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts