GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 11:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Attending Yale SOM as a Silver Scholar?

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Attending Yale SOM as a Silver Scholar?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 07:22
I got admitted to Yale SOM as a silver scholar last week (no $). Totally didn’t expect this because I know the program is highly selective. However, I’m not quite sure if attending the program right now would be the best decision.

Yale definitely has the brand and networks, but SOM is still not THE top tier MBA out there. Since I have a BB internship in an Asian/Pacific office this summer and fortunately get a return offer, then working ft and applying for a stronger MBA program may also be an option.

Would love to hear about any thoughts/advise!

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 2686
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Attending Yale SOM as a Silver Scholar?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 08:07
Hi,

I moved your thread to a different forum where you will get more response.

Tagging a few for their inputs

Wilch
jessepinkman
billionaire
bb
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 147
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Attending Yale SOM as a Silver Scholar?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 15:27
L98LL wrote:
I got admitted to Yale SOM as a silver scholar last week (no $). Totally didn’t expect this because I know the program is highly selective. However, I’m not quite sure if attending the program right now would be the best decision.

Yale definitely has the brand and networks, but SOM is still not THE top tier MBA out there. Since I have a BB internship in an Asian/Pacific office this summer and fortunately get a return offer, then working ft and applying for a stronger MBA program may also be an option.

Would love to hear about any thoughts/advise!

Posted from my mobile device


I think it'd be helpful to know the following:

1. What you intend on doing with your career in the next 3-5 years.
2. Which group you're with (M&A/ECM/DCM/Equity Research) and which country/city (this matters and I can explain why depending on your answer).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Re: Attending Yale SOM as a Silver Scholar?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 16:40
Wilch wrote:
L98LL wrote:
I got admitted to Yale SOM as a silver scholar last week (no $). Totally didn’t expect this because I know the program is highly selective. However, I’m not quite sure if attending the program right now would be the best decision.

Yale definitely has the brand and networks, but SOM is still not THE top tier MBA out there. Since I have a BB internship in an Asian/Pacific office this summer and fortunately get a return offer, then working ft and applying for a stronger MBA program may also be an option.

Would love to hear about any thoughts/advise!

Posted from my mobile device


I think it'd be helpful to know the following:

1. What you intend on doing with your career in the next 3-5 years.
2. Which group you're with (M&A/ECM/DCM/Equity Research) and which country/city (this matters and I can explain why depending on your answer).


I will be doing a wm internship in Hong Kong this summer. However, I am quite interested in consulting/strategy so probably will recruit for that sometime in the future.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 147
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Attending Yale SOM as a Silver Scholar?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 21:52
L98LL wrote:
I will be doing a wm internship in Hong Kong this summer. However, I am quite interested in consulting/strategy so probably will recruit for that sometime in the future.


I think if you were in investment banking, I'd strongly consider deferring your start or even declining the offer because you might even have a shot at H/S and Wharton shouldn't be hard if you get your story right. With WM, things are less clear as I haven't worked with many people of that background & thus not sure how their experience is perceived by business schools. This is no knock on you or WM, because I have many friends in that industry and it's a challenging line of work for sure.

From what I understand, consulting recruiting is an uphill battle for people with little to no work experience; particularly in the US. With that said, a silver scholar from my year did get a job with one of the MBBs in Shanghai. If you're Asian, I'd assume getting a consulting gig back in your home country is easier to achieve than MBB. I think the caveat here is whether you get hired as an entry level consultant or a post-MBA level consultant. I think the latter is less likely, but you may be fast tracked to promotion if you're hired at a junior level. Given the way the program is structured, you might be able to go to Yale for a year, spend 1-2 years in a junior consultant role and potentially get a return offer to come back as a post-MBA consultant after you complete the 2nd year of the program. At least, that's my hypothesis.

I think it's best for you to talk to other silver scholars to see what their experience was like. I'll tag 8088 here because he's a silver scholar and can probably get you connected to the right people.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Re: Attending Yale SOM as a Silver Scholar?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 17:19
Wilch wrote:
L98LL wrote:
I will be doing a wm internship in Hong Kong this summer. However, I am quite interested in consulting/strategy so probably will recruit for that sometime in the future.


I think if you were in investment banking, I'd strongly consider deferring your start or even declining the offer because you might even have a shot at H/S and Wharton shouldn't be hard if you get your story right. With WM, things are less clear as I haven't worked with many people of that background & thus not sure how their experience is perceived by business schools. This is no knock on you or WM, because I have many friends in that industry and it's a challenging line of work for sure.

From what I understand, consulting recruiting is an uphill battle for people with little to no work experience; particularly in the US. With that said, a silver scholar from my year did get a job with one of the MBBs in Shanghai. If you're Asian, I'd assume getting a consulting gig back in your home country is easier to achieve than MBB. I think the caveat here is whether you get hired as an entry level consultant or a post-MBA level consultant. I think the latter is less likely, but you may be fast tracked to promotion if you're hired at a junior level. Given the way the program is structured, you might be able to go to Yale for a year, spend 1-2 years in a junior consultant role and potentially get a return offer to come back as a post-MBA consultant after you complete the 2nd year of the program. At least, that's my hypothesis.

I think it's best for you to talk to other silver scholars to see what their experience was like. I'll tag here because he's a silver scholar and can probably get you connected to the right people.


Thanks for your response and connection! Not quite sure about the long-term, but I do hope to get a consulting job in the U.S. after graduation. I am a permanent resident so sponsorship is not a problem for me. Given my current background and Yale's brand, alumni networks, and past recruiting outcomes, how difficult is it to land an internship in a top consulting firm and even MBB in the U.S.?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: Silver Scholar
Affiliations: Yale School of Management
Joined: 21 Nov 2011
Posts: 59
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Schools: Yale '16 (M)
Reviews Badge
Re: Attending Yale SOM as a Silver Scholar?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 19:48
Thanks Wilch!

Hey there, I'm Dan, a 2016 Silver Scholar alum. Congrats on your acceptance to the Silver Scholars program - I heard it was an incredibly selective batch this year, so you should feel proud.

IB for Silver Scholars can be challenging, but we do have a steady stream of Silver Scholars to Associate-level IB positions in addition to analyst positions - it is frequently a function of your familiarity and experience in the industry. Happy to elaborate on this if you'd like.

For MBB and other top consulting firms, Silver Scholars have had more traction in getting positions at the Associate-level both in the US as well as abroad (From US, to the Middle East, to Europe, and Asia). Many times its a function of your work experience as well as how well you case and how well you network and connect with SOM and Yale Alums in their offices. As Wilch said a common path for Silver Scholars is to spend 1-2 years in a junior consultant role and get a return offer to come back as a post-MBA consultant. If you work hard at it, it is definitely doable.

Feel free to DM me and I can chat and put you in touch with folks who have gone the consulting or IB route.

Congrats again!

Dan '16
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Attending Yale SOM as a Silver Scholar?   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2019, 19:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Attending Yale SOM as a Silver Scholar?

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne