Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 18:47 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 208
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [4]
Given Kudos: 148
GRE 1: Q165 V157
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [3]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Attention!!! Novice at RC Questions here. [#permalink]
GyMrAT wrote:
satya23bh wrote:
RC used to be my weakness too. I have given my first attempt at Gmat and screwed up completely mainly because of RC, getting a disastrous 19.
Now I have started my preparation and I completely changed the strategy for RC and to my surprise I am close to 95-100% accurate with my answers

Strategy- 1. UNDERSTAND THE STRUCTURE OF THE PASSAGE. Understand why a certain paragraph or line is there in the passage. What good does it serve to the overall passage and how the line or para is supporting or contrasting authors idea.

2. GO VERY SLOW IN THE BEGINNING OF THE PASSAGE.
Take as much time you need for the first paragraph.

3. STOP TO THINK WHAT YOU JUST READ. Stopping sparodically to think and comprehend(most important) what you just read is vital

4. TAKE NOTES. This is just to ensure that you understand what you read. Don’t fool yourself to try to rewrite the whole passage, you just need to write very simple things.

Let me give you an example,
I would have made my notes like this for a passage-

-PROBLEM—>SOULTION.
-RECENT RESEARCH CONTRAST THE SOLUTION
-EXAMPLES
-EXPERIMENTS TO CONTRAST THE SOLUTION
-RECENT RESEARCH INSUFFICIENT.

RC is very easy once you understand the mantra- “you just need to understand what you read”

Good lick with your preparation.
-satya

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Great Stuff!!

In addition to the above excellent strategy, i highly recommend the MGMAT "Thursdays with Ron" Study hall videos. The RC videos by Ron are pure GOLD!! helped me immensely & have cemented the approach for RC in my brain for life.

If you don't know who RonPurewal is, he is a legend in GMAT land!!

Below is the link (thanks to carcass ) & the dates you should look for RC videos:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/mgmat-study- ... 09197.html

Date Desciption of video
19-Aug-10 Long Passages & Main Idea Questions
09-Sep-10 Short Passages & Miscellaneous Question Types
06-Jan-11 Reading Comprehension: A Trick for Finding the Main
28-Apr-11 Inference & Suggestion Questions
02-Jun-11 More on inference & suggestion questions
18-Jun-15 Approaching Highly Technical Passages
09-Jul-15 Approaching Highly Technical Passages (continued)
23-Jul-15 Personalizing the Passages (continued)
06-Aug-15 Personalizing the Passages (continued)

All the Best!!

Thanks,
GyM

Thanks, I'll have to go and check it out.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Attention!!! Novice at RC Questions here. [#permalink]
satya23bh wrote:
RC used to be my weakness too. I have given my first attempt at Gmat and screwed up completely mainly because of RC, getting a disastrous 19.
Now I have started my preparation and I completely changed the strategy for RC and to my surprise I am close to 95-100% accurate with my answers

Strategy- 1. UNDERSTAND THE STRUCTURE OF THE PASSAGE. Understand why a certain paragraph or line is there in the passage. What good does it serve to the overall passage and how the line or para is supporting or contrasting authors idea.

3. STOP TO THINK WHAT YOU JUST READ. Stopping sparodically to think and comprehend(most important) what you just read is vital

4. TAKE NOTES. This is just to ensure that you understand what you read. Don’t fool yourself to try to rewrite the whole passage, you just need to write very simple things.

-PROBLEM—>SOULTION.
-EXAMPLES

RC is very easy once you understand the mantra- “you just need to understand what you read”

-satya

Thanks Satya, 95-100% is pretty cool!
I have two questions concerning this.
Q1:Isn't it time consuming to take notes, slowly read the first paragraph, stop to think and all of that? Especially with the long passages.

Q2:Concerning the structure, is there a skeletal system or a type of format that all RC questions follow?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
GRE 1: Q165 V157
Send PM
Kudos
MrJglass wrote:
satya23bh wrote:

-PROBLEM—>SOULTION.
-EXAMPLES

-satya

Thanks Satya, 95-100% is pretty cool!
I have two questions concerning this.
Q1:Isn't it time consuming to take notes, slowly read the first paragraph, stop to think and all of that? Especially with the long passages.

Q2:Concerning the structure, is there a skeletal system or a type of format that all RC questions follow?

Thanks!

1. Yes, in the beginning it will be little bit time consuming but as you pick up the pace and the pattern you will be faster. What makes you really slower is to go back to the passage multiple times when you try to answer without understanding the structure.

2. There is no format for RC as such. But what I find in most passage is
- Whenever a fact or a statement is made, the author will almost always justify or explain maybe with example his stand.
- Whenever the author is introducing someone else’s view in the context, he is most likely to oppose that view or critique.
-Look for change of tone in the passage.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Send PM
satya23bh wrote:

1. Yes, in the beginning it will be little bit time consuming but as you pick up the pace and the pattern you will be faster. What makes you really slower is to go back to the passage multiple times when you try to answer without understanding the structure.

- Whenever a fact or a statement is made, the author will almost always justify or explain maybe with example his stand.
- Whenever the author is introducing someone else’s view in the context, he is most likely to oppose that view or critique.

Just before I was able to say, "Oh okay" I saw this:

"Look for change of tone in the passage"

and then I was like, "Oh great!".

I have two questions for you, please bear with me. You don't have to reply this now, but 'please do' when it is suitable for you.

Question1: If RC Questions don't have a particular structure then what am I to observe and look out for when you say I should understand the structure of the passage?

Question2:I don't know how to look for a change in tone. I don't know what the tone is (Maybe: happy, confident, doubtful etc.)

For Example : "Aliens must exist since Present Obama said that he cannot make any comments when asked about their existence. If they didn't exist in the first place, then there is nothing to be confidential about".
How will you describe the above authors tone? Is it that of certainty, doubt or something else that goes beyond all that?

Thanks!

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
MrJglass wrote:
satya23bh wrote:

Just before I was able to say, "Oh okay" I saw this:

"Look for change of tone in the passage"

and then I was like, "Oh great!".

I have two questions for you, please bear with me. You don't have to reply this now, but 'please do' when it is suitable for you.

Question1: If RC Questions don't have a particular structure then what am I to observe and look out for when you say I should understand the structure of the passage?

Question2:I don't know how to look for a change in tone. I don't know what the tone is (Maybe: happy, confident, doubtful etc.)

For Example : "Aliens must exist since Present Obama said that he cannot make any comments when asked about their existence. If they didn't exist in the first place, then there is nothing to be confidential about".
How will you describe the above authors tone? Is it that of certainty, doubt or something else that goes beyond all that?

Thanks!

You can start from here ..... https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html

I think most of your question are answered here.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aragonn wrote:

You can start from here ..... https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html

I think most of your question are answered here.

Wow! You my friend, are a true friend. Great page indeed!
Thanks for sharing.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts