Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Attn Indian Applicants- It's Time to Step it up! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey Healthcare Guy -

Happy to share our source with ya! We found that information in an article on Poets and Quants back in November. This was before the GMAC study came out... however that study DID say that the third highest group reporting their GMAT scores for b-schools is in fact India. So the competition is definitely up! And even if you disagree with the fact that there are increasingly more applicants from India, the advice in the article still stands true.

Indian applicants face some unique struggles when it comes to admissions, and it's important they know what those obstacles are so they can overcome them up front!

healthcareguy wrote:
I'm curious about your source for the opening facts. The latest Application Trends report from GMAC says specifically "...two-year full-time MBA programs have seen India volumes drop the most". This is corroborated by another 2012 GMAC report which indicates GMAT tests taken by Indians have dropped for two years in a row now, reaching pre-2008 levels.

Sources:
https://www.gmac.com/~/media/Files/gmac/Research/admissions-and-application-trends/applicationtrends2011_sr.pdf
https://www.gmac.com/~/media/Files/gmac/Research/Geographic%20Trends/asiangeotrendty2011_online.pdf

Your bigger point about the Indian applicant pool being the single most competitive one is, however, a well established fact. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Oh lawd, not this again. Didn't this exact same topic already cause enough controversy the first time it was posted?

Tell me about it... However it is true that a disproportionate number of applicants are Indian, and it will be harder for them to get in on average.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
JonPrecisionEssay wrote:
Fact: The number of MBA applicants coming from India is up.
Fact: The number of MBA admissions for applicants coming from India is down.

Classes are extraordinarily interactive. All class participants will be assigned homework, be expected to participate actively, and will be encouraged to take part in each class’s closing Q&A session. All attendees will also get one essay edited by a member of the PE team upon completion of the course. For the full itinerary and registration information, visit our site: https://www.precisionessay.com/webinars/bootcamp/ There are only a few spots left so sign up SOON. [/color]

Cool story bro! I totally buy the advertisement, where can I sign up?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
healthcareguy wrote:
I'm curious about your source for the opening facts. The latest Application Trends report from GMAC says specifically "...two-year full-time MBA programs have seen India volumes drop the most". This is corroborated by another 2012 GMAC report which indicates GMAT tests taken by Indians have dropped for two years in a row now, reaching pre-2008 levels.

Sources:
https://www.gmac.com/~/media/Files/gmac/Research/admissions-and-application-trends/applicationtrends2011_sr.pdf
https://www.gmac.com/~/media/Files/gmac/Research/Geographic%20Trends/asiangeotrendty2011_online.pdf

Your bigger point about the Indian applicant pool being the single most competitive one is, however, a well established fact. :)

One trend that is very noticeable is that Chinese and Indians average the highest with the GMAT with the Chinese nearly average a 600 and the Indians at around a 580, which is brought down because of the low average of Indian women. Koreans, Taiwanese, and Japanese GMAT test takers also averaged well above 500 and were at least around the GMAT median of 540-550. Koreans in particular attend American universities at very high rates, but it seems that Korea doesn't value the MBA as highly as China and India do which may partly explain why many Koreans aren't taking the test in high droves for admission at an American business school.

I saw some interesting things here. One Chinese GMAT administrations are sprawling despite an overall downturn in MBA apps, so it's harder for them to get in than before. Next most Chinese GMAT test takers are women, which is a big departure from the norm. Women tend to have it easier for MBA admissions because there are fewer applicants, but Chinese women will NOT get that opportunity from seeing these trends along with a high GMAT average.

With the number of score reports sent per exam, it looks like every Asian group only average 2 or 3 score reports per exam, while Indians nearly maxed out on them. I'd think that most test takers should pick five programs regardless, unless the GMAT take was specifically done to improve one's score to get off a waitlist or something. Maybe most of these test takers were just applying to domestic programs? Just my two cents and conjecture here.
GMAT Club Bot