GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 09:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

B-School Verification process

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Re: B-School Verification process  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2009, 07:52
Sleepy wrote:

I don't have an admit yet, I'm holding out hope for CBS and I'm on the waitlist at Georgetown, but I'm worried that even if I get admitted I'll be ding'd because my job title isn't what I said it was.

I'm not an authority on this issue but I really think you'll get a chance to explain/prove your statements. For example: if you work at a big company where HR or whomever Kroll contacts doesn't know your situation, I'd think your boss or some other verified individual could confirm your statements.

Anyway, first things first, good luck with CBS.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2009, 18:48
I have a question... I previously started a small business but it didn't too well. any know how b-schools go about verifying this?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2009, 16:31
eeter1 wrote:
My take on it is this guy probably will not get caught. Take a look at CBS, a highly ranked school that just checks CURRENT work experience. Now imagine how many people could have lied about previous experiences/employment gaps there. As far as I know Wharton and NYU have been doing thorough background checks with Wharton switching it up every year but most other schools just limit to current employment some lower schools don't even check. So on that note its unfortunate people like this will be in a TOP MBA program when someone more deserving who told the truth will not. Sadly thats how the system works.

I'm not supporting this dude, but honestly the system has a lot of flaws..A White Male consultant with a GMAT of 750 or an Indian IT guy with a GMAT of 750(both with great community activities and such) may lose out their place to an African-American female with GMAT of 660 or someone from Poland with an exotic sounding job profile and a GMAT of 650. (No offense to anyone here but isn't that how the system works????)
If the system was perfect, the class would be full of Whites, Indians and Asians...but that's not the case. I have friends from every school tell me that a lot of the people who "bring diversity" do not fit into the Top 10 B-schools.

In the end it all evens out. So let's stop bothering about such things.
just my opinion anyway.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 16:26
Hi there,

I realize this is an old post, but I'm hoping some of you veterans can help me figure out something. I'm a 2011 applicant, and I've already heard from a couple of top schools. Hoping to hear from my favorite - Wharton next week.

Poking around and reading about verifications, I realized I might have a problem. I've reported my current salary to be say $50K and I described myself as a "full time" employee. However, for the past year I've been working on a 80% flexible arrangement (have a kid), and I've been only getting $40K (80% of 50K) per year...

At the time I was filling out my apps, I had also been interviewing for a couple of job opportunities, and had been told by two recruiters to report my 100% salary, as that describes my compensation level. The 80% flex is temporary - I can switch back at a week's notice, but I can also do it for as long as I like. I think I'm a full time employee, because even at 80% I work about 45+ hours per week (at 100% 60+) and I get benefits, trainings, etc. etc. I manage a full load of clients. I mean - I've never been designated as anything but full time.

My worry is that when schools verify my salary, they will get back $40K and see a discrepancy with what I reported!

I did not do that on purpose at all... there's nothing to be gained by higher salary. One of my essays is about flexible work schedules and my own experience with them - I was not trying to hide my flexible arrangement. I just wasn't thinking, I guess... maybe got lazy not explaining at length in the optional letter.

So what do I do now? I see a few options:

1. Email Wharton (decisions are not out yet) to clarify
2. Switch to 100% schedule (but I'm planning to leave my job in a month, so I don't want them to go through the trouble)
3. Don't do anything. If I get asked explain

What do you think????
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Wharton, UCLA (with $$!)

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 20:07
Does anyone know the background check process for UCLA? Is it also kroll?

Thanks!
Current Student
Schools: R1: Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Kellogg, Duke
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 20:52
mbaa2011 wrote:
Hi there,

I realize this is an old post, but I'm hoping some of you veterans can help me figure out something. I'm a 2011 applicant, and I've already heard from a couple of top schools. Hoping to hear from my favorite - Wharton next week.

Poking around and reading about verifications, I realized I might have a problem. I've reported my current salary to be say $50K and I described myself as a "full time" employee. However, for the past year I've been working on a 80% flexible arrangement (have a kid), and I've been only getting $40K (80% of 50K) per year...

At the time I was filling out my apps, I had also been interviewing for a couple of job opportunities, and had been told by two recruiters to report my 100% salary, as that describes my compensation level. The 80% flex is temporary - I can switch back at a week's notice, but I can also do it for as long as I like. I think I'm a full time employee, because even at 80% I work about 45+ hours per week (at 100% 60+) and I get benefits, trainings, etc. etc. I manage a full load of clients. I mean - I've never been designated as anything but full time.

My worry is that when schools verify my salary, they will get back $40K and see a discrepancy with what I reported!

I did not do that on purpose at all... there's nothing to be gained by higher salary. One of my essays is about flexible work schedules and my own experience with them - I was not trying to hide my flexible arrangement. I just wasn't thinking, I guess... maybe got lazy not explaining at length in the optional letter.

So what do I do now? I see a few options:

1. Email Wharton (decisions are not out yet) to clarify
2. Switch to 100% schedule (but I'm planning to leave my job in a month, so I don't want them to go through the trouble)
3. Don't do anything. If I get asked explain

What do you think????

I'd go with 3. Based on everything I've read about these background checks, if anything is awry, they will contact you for the reason. And your situation doesn't even seem that off, so they may not even contact you for the discrepancy. I definitely don't think you need to email Wharton (especially since you haven't heard back) or switch schedules.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2019, 19:42
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: B-School Verification process   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2019, 19:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 67 posts ] 

B-School Verification process

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap