Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V43
GPA: 3.61
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V43
GPA: 3.61
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q39 V48
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Re: Background Check - General Question/Advice [#permalink]
Another question on this topic: how do you verify freelance income? I have 10-99s for some projects I've done but others were in cash and I'm concerned about the check now. My income is difficult to predict so I estimated without realizing how intense these checks seem to be!
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
DennisTheMenace wrote:
I am getting ready for business school. Super excited. Last thing is the background check – then I finally have the official ticket to play.

Today my boss resigned! Now what?! He was my recommender. When they do the background check will I will have to give them his cell number?

Any suggestions? I am sure this will look fishy to them. I mean I guess they can confirm his dates of employment with HR as well to verify that he is no longer with the firm but still – this is annoying and worrisome.

I think that it is not a problem at all. He is still a professional recommender. I advice you to email the admission office in their about this update. They will respect your integrity. Do not forget to update them with new phone and location.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I have been lucky to get into an M7 MBA Program, and am currently going through the re vera background check process. I am an Indian national based out of India.

I was contacted by re vera a couple of weeks back on my salary details (they couldnt figure it out on their own due to my company choosing not to divulge it) . They asked me to explain the salary numbers I put in my application, which I did.

(Note: I had used purchasing power parity conversion of 25, as opposed to the nominal USD INR conversion rate, which is 1USD = 76 INR )

They seemed to be happy with my explanation.

Now I got contacted by the school's admission committee to let me know that there is a salary discrepancy, and rightly so, because my salary when converted to actual dollar terms (ie 1 USD= 76 INR) will be MUCH MUCH LESS than when my salary is converted to PPP Dollar Terms (i.e 1 USD = 25 INR)

I explained the same to them, and while I await a response from them, I am freaking out! I never knew this would be such a big deal!

My questions are:

Is this a problem? I can justify the salary numbers I put in my application when converted to PPP Dollar terms, but it would seem OVERSTATED when its compared with my salary converted to actual Dollar Terms. That was never my intention though.

I also figured out I put why whole salary number (Base + Provident Fund (401k eqvt) + Gratuity - One time 'loyalty' payment for staying in the same company for 5 years+) ---> Whereas the college application clearly mentions to only share the base amount, minus the fluff. ----> Again, is this a problem?

Of course, it goes without saying that there was no intention to misrepresent or mislead, but I am freaking out if this is grounds for any action that the admission committee will take? How important is salary information anyway?

Thanks Guys!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GPA: 2.56
Send PM
DennisTheMenace wrote:
I am getting ready for business school. Super excited. Last thing is the background check – then I finally have the official ticket to play.

Today my boss resigned! Now what?! He was my recommender. When they do the background check will I will have to give them his cell number?

Any suggestions? I am sure this will look fishy to them. I mean I guess they can confirm his dates of employment with HR as well to verify that he is no longer with the firm but still – this is annoying and worrisome.

Does it matter? Do they ask company how is the manager??

What do they ask company - Current designation, saalry, job dates?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mbaaspirant2023 wrote:
DennisTheMenace wrote:

Does it matter? Do they ask company how is the manager??

What do they ask company - Current designation, saalry, job dates?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi. This does not matter since the ReVera or whoever does the background check will just check with the HR team. They would not have your boss's name anyway and they would not be verifying or checking the recommender. They have already done that through the LOR and email address as well as LinkedIN if they have to.

What is checked is a good question and the standard for verification has been slipping down during the pandemic. It has been hard to get a hold of companies. people have been overworked, etc.
Anyway, there is quite a bit of understanding and leeway in terms of what is concerning and what is not. In part it is hard to communicate certain items in the resume (e.g. I may list that I work for GE but in reality I work for a subsidiary and if you call GE HQ, they have no idea who I am). Usually they clarify at least that you worked there. They try to clarify the position as well and sometimes comp. At the same time, the HR won't have the latest bonus, LTI, retention, or whatever bonus on file handy and likely will only give you standard pay/salary so there is going to be a differential that is going to be acceptable if you put 100K on the resume and it included bonus pay. All of that is reported back and AdCom has to figure out how concerning some of the discrepancies are. I can tell you that among all the numerous ReVera and BG Check questions on GMAT Club, we are yet to have someone who would get declined or dinged due to background check.... We have had a person kicked out for low GPA but not for background fail... there was a famous article though about a Wharton student mixed up in some not so good stuff: https://gmatclub.com/forum/wharton-mba- ... 11912.html The OP claims that the AdCom should have uncovered this in the BG Check with KRoll/ReVera.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts