GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 14:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Baseball is unique for the major sports because it is the only ball

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
Baseball is unique for the major sports because it is the only ball  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 01:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (01:18) correct 45% (01:12) wrong based on 135 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 198: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Baseball is unique for the major sports because it is the only ball game in which the team does not have possession of the ball on offense .

A) for the major sports because it is the only ball game in which the team does not have possession of the ball on offense

B) for the major sports in that it is the only ball game that the team on offense does not have possession of the ball

C) among major sports as the only ball game that the team on offense does not have possession of the ball

D) among major sports in that it is the only ball game in which the team on offense does not have possession of the ball

E) among the major sports by being the only ball game in which the team does not have possession of the ball on offense

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has -- Margaret Mead
Senior SC Moderator
V
Baseball is unique for the major sports because it is the only ball  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 01:07
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Project SC Butler: Day 198: Sentence Correction (SC2)

Because unique for the major sports because it is the only ball game in which the team does not have possession of the ball on offense .

A) for the major sports because it is the only ball game in which the team does not have possession of the ball on offense

B) for the major sports in that it is the only ball game that the team on offense does not have possession of the ball [missing verb for "ball game"]]

C) among major sports as the only ball game that the team on offense does not have possession of the ball [missing verb for "ball game"]

D) among major sports in that it is the only ball game in which the team on offense does not have possession of the ball

E) among the major sports by being the only ball game in which the team does not have possession of the ball on offense[/quote]

In the set "major sports," baseball is unique because is it the only ball game in which team on offense does not have the ball,

• Split #1: FOR or AMONG?

The sentence means that baseball is different from other major sports.
Baseball is unique FOR the major sports is not correct.
One definition of among means "being a member of a larger set." HERE
-- Oxford Dictionary online (linked) uses this examples: Snakes are among the animals most feared by [human beings].

Baseball is a unique member of the set "major league sports."
Baseball is unique among those sports because . . . .

Options A and B incorrectly use "for."
Eliminate A and B

• Split #2: the case of the Missing Verb

-- remember this little fact: relative pronouns (that, who, and which) "eat up verbs."
One of GMAC's favorite tricks is to tack on a relative clause without also adding a verb for the antecedent of that clause

-- In options B and C, the relative pronoun that takes ("eats up") the verb "does not have."
As a result, the only ball game is a subject without a verb.
Eliminate C (Option B is already gone)

• Split #3: Noun modifier error: Keep nouns and their modifiers close to each other.

The phrase "on offense" describes the team.
Because "on offense" is a noun modifier, it should be "touching" or very close to its noun.

In options A, B, and E we have
... that only ball game does not have possession of the ball on offense
Those three options "on offense" seems to modify "the ball" and is not close enough to "the only ball game."

Eliminate E (A and B are already gone)

• By process of elimination, the answer is D
• Option D:
-- uses the correct preposition among
-- uses "in that," which means "because.'
-- places "on offense" right next to "team"

• NOTES - extra details

-- In option (C), the word as is inferior to (D)'s language, "in that."

-- "In that " means because.
"As" can mean because but in option (C), "as" works strangely.
Option D is better than option C

-- "by being" in (E) is probably grammatical but much too intentional.
IF we have Subject + Verb + object + comma + BY ____ING, then the "by verbING" construction shows how the result in the main clause was achieved.
Correct: He made the special bread by mixing two kinds of flour.

-- Option D is better than Option E; option E

The answer is D

COMMENTS

hero_with_1000_faces , you asked whether E were grammatical.
You think it is.
I think it probably is grammatical, although my native ear wants to hear "why" MLB is unique, a question that is answered in D's construction "in that," which means because.
On the other hand, (E) tells us how MLB is unique, and although the idea is logical, the phrasing is not as good as that in D.
And E puts the modifier in the wrong place.

@mykrasowski , I was hoping to convince some of you to become codebreakers by analyzing my answer patterns . . . :lol:
I'm kidding.
My mind finds patterns in everything. I am unconsciously drawn to them. I am glad you said something.
I seem to have chosen identical answers on the same day quite frequently.
Someone else mentioned my doing so.

This question is hard.
And these answers are good. Well done.
Manager
Manager
G
Re: Baseball is unique for the major sports because it is the only ball  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 11:03
Baseball is unique for the major sports because it is the only ball game in which the team does not have possession of the ball on offense .

A) for the major sports because it is the only ball game in which the team does not have possession of the ball on offense. The use of for doesnot compare correctly

B) for the major sports in that it is the only ball game that the team on offense does not have possession of the ball. Same error as A

C) among major sports as the only ball game that the team on offense does not have possession of the ball. The use of among corrects the error; however the use of as is incorrect

D) among major sports in that it is the only ball game in which the team on offense does not have possession of the ball. The use of in that it is incorrect

E) among the major sports by being the only ball game in which the team does not have possession of the ball on offense
IMO E clears all error
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE: Education (Accounting)
Re: Baseball is unique for the major sports because it is the only ball  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 13:25
The sentence has an idiom error and the modifier 'on offence' is not properly placed. 'Unique among ... in that' is the right idion, not unique for. 'on offence' is modifying 'the team', so they should be placed together. All these make D the correct option.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Law (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 06:29
This question is testing modifier knowledge and use of comparison words – Among

The first split for and Among, IMO among is right as per meaning, there are more than two major sports and hence “among” is needed.
A and B eliminate.

In Last part of the split there is issue of “That” vs “In which”
And placement of preposition modifier “on offense”

C) among major sports as the only ball game that the team on offense does not have possession of the ball

I would eliminate “C”, because of the phrase “ball game that the team”
I think “in that” usage should have been better, as it is within that game certain situation/thing exist.
Further, “That the team on offense” doesn’t logically modify “the Ball Game” or In other words doesn’t seem fit to modify “The ball Game”

I would eliminate “E” because of misplaced modifier “On offense” which should be closed to “Team”.
My question to you generis is the “Being” usage in option “E” is correct ? I think yes.

Correct “D”
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 08:15

for vs among: among does make much more sence, so A and B are out.

Quote:
the subject "the only ball game" does not have working verb.

Quote:
Correct

Quote:
"being" can be used for modification only when it's trying to say about some temporary condition.
"Being a man of his word, John does smth" is wrong, because presumably, John has this attitude permanently.
"In the 1970s, John, being a student, was always late for Mr. Jonhson's lectures" - per my understanding, in absence of better choices, such sentence can be considered correct, because "being" here is used to refer to some temporary attitude.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 12:41
Quote:
Baseball is unique for the major sports because it is the only ball game in which the team does not have possession of the ball on offense.

Quick read through reveals that one must love MLB to solve this question, lol. Just kidding :blushing There is a 2-3 split that tests "for" vs. "among". Baseball is one of the sports in a group of major sports, so we need to use among. We can quickly eliminate options (A) and (B).

Eliminate for the reason discussed above.

B) for the major sports in that it is the only ball game that the team on offense does not have possession of the ball
Eliminate for the reason discussed above.

This option looks nice until one reaches the word that - it is wrongly used. We need "in which" or something similar to describe what is going on in baseball compared to other sports.

Few minutes before I solved this question, I solved another question which included in that that is synonymous to "because". Let's look at the sentence from another angle

Baseball is unique among major sports because it is the only ball game [which game] in which the team [which team? the one ...] on offense does not have possession of the ball

Makes sense to me. Keep.

This option looks quite nice, too. But I think (D) is a better choice. I do not think "by being" is wrong, but there is a subtle issue with the highlighted part. We want to say that the team which is on offense does not possess the ball. But our option says "the ball on offense" and this is not quite right.

generis perhaps this is a coincidence, but I noticed that lately both of the two questions that you post have the correct answer under the same letter. In the latest thread, both questions have answer (D), unless I am terribly wrong in my analysis :-D I recall that in one of your posts both questions had answer (E). Is this a lovely coincidence? :)
Manager
Manager
P
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 22:41
My answer is (D). I took me almost 2 minutes to narrow down my answer.

In reading (A), I found the use of "for the major sports" a bit strange. When I scanned answers and saw "among", I focus my attention on (C)(D)(E).

"The team on offense" is much clearer than "the team .... on offense". Ruling E out.

Between C and D, preposition "in" is needed for the clause to be complete. So, the answer is (D).
Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 23:53
Baseball is unique for the major sports because it is the only ball game in which the team does not have possession of the ball on offense.

Baseball is unique among major sports. Why? Because it is the only ball game in which the team on offense does not have possession of the ball.

I can see two key splits, which helped me to narrow down to the right answer.
Split #1: among major sports vs for major sports.
The meaning of the sentence was key to choose between the prepositions for and among. For is not a conjunction per the context of the sentence.
Baseball is unique for major sports could imply that the uniqueness of baseball applies to major sports as a whole. But when you read the remaining part of the sentence, you get a feeling that baseball is cited as an example or instance or type of major sports. Based on this understanding, among fits into the sentence better than for. On this basis, I eliminated A and B, which use for instead of among.

In option C, as needs to be followed by it is whereby it unambiguously refers to baseball in order to for the sentence to be logical. usage of as in C suggests that as the only ball game modifies major sports. In C, as serves as a preposition rather than a conjunction. So, as a prepositional phrase, it must logically modify among major sports and this is not logical. When as is followed by it is, then as now serves as a conjunction and the sentence would be correct, and there would be a very tough call between E and D. I would still have gone for D though lol. This is because I prefer in which to that as I feel in which is makes it clear that we are referring to the team on offense during the game. Well, I'm grateful that it did not come to that. Eliminate option C for these errors.

Between D and E, D is clearer. D says the team on offense does not have possession of the ball, while E says that the team does not have possession of the ball. E leaves a question on your mind. This makes you wonder "which team" does not have possession of the ball? All the teams playing? The team on offense? This is not clear in option E. So I choose D over E.

The answer is D.

A) for the major sports because it is the only ball game in which the team does not have possession of the ball [when] on offense.

B) for the major sports in that it is the only ball game that the team on offense does not have possession of the ball.

C) among major sports as [it is] the only ball game that the team on offense does not have possession of the ball.

D) among major sports in that it is the only ball game in which the team on offense does not have possession of the ball.

E) among the major sports by being the only ball game in which the team does not have possession of the ball [when] on offense.
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 01:49
The official explanation is here.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Baseball is unique for the major sports because it is the only ball   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2019, 01:49

Baseball is unique for the major sports because it is the only ball

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics