GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 15:41

Gmatbusters' Weekly Quant Quiz

Join here 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Basic Profile Evaluation Request - Do I Have A Realistic Shot?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Basic Profile Evaluation Request - Do I Have A Realistic Shot?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 12:15
This is all very preliminary

I plan on applying to full time programs within the next 2-4 years.

Current Age - 24 (26-28 upon applying)
Full Time Work Experience - 1 year in real estate development/project work, hired full-time from an intern role (Aiming for 3-5 years upon applying)
GMAT - 710 - took my test yesterday
GPA - NOT GOOD - 1 year at SMU 2.9, 1 year at community college 4.0, 2 years and graduation from UC Davis 2.5
Extracurricular - Animal shelter volunteer work (I need to add more here)

I plan on doing the UCSD project management extension program and getting my CAPM certification as well.

Backstory:
I never took school seriously, I wanted to do the bare minimum to graduate and get on with life. Never had aspirations for graduate school. 2 years ago I was in a major car accident that left me with some lifelong physical disability (my left arm is paralyzed) and an entirely new attitude on life.

My thoughts are that I can argue to schools, in big part due to my accident, that I'm a near completely different person than my ~2.5 undergrad GPA shows(I really am). I would then go on to use my GMAT, Work Experience, Recommendation Letters, and Extracurricular work (I need more here) as evidence to support my claims.

Does this seem like something a school would realistically consider? It seems rational to me but I want to get confirmation that I'm being realistic. I'm really worried about my very poor GPA.

I'm only going to apply to the schools that I scored at or above the GMAT average, this is my list of schools of interest:

McCombs (UT Austin) 703
USC Marshall 703
Duke Fuqua 702
UNC Kenan-Flagler 701
Cornell Johnson 700
Olin (St. Louis) 694
McDonough (Georgetown) 692
WP Carey (Arizona State) 682
Naveen Jindal (UT Dallas) 678
Mendoza (Notre Dame) 674
Fisher (Ohio State) 670
SMU Cox 660
Isenberg (UMass at Amherst) 659
University of Tennessee (Haslam) 656
Terry (Georgia) 647
Mays (Texas A&M) 638
Carroll (Boston College) 637
Smith (Maryland) 629

Do any of these seem realistic?

Thank you.
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Basic Profile Evaluation Request - Do I Have A Realistic Shot?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 22:32
Hello KM355

Kudos on planning ahead. Though your GPA is low, you can compensate it for your list of schools with your GMAT & stories.
I believe in your specific case execution is going to be very essential- showcasing not just your strengths but also how you have overcome your weaknesses/failures. If you can do that, I believe you are being quite realistic in your choice of schools (broadly speaking- cannot speculate on each school in such a large list).
While working on your applications make sure to touch upon all admission factors mentioned here
Only critical info that I see missing here is your career goals. You can add to your research by reading here

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

KM355 wrote:
This is all very preliminary

I plan on applying to full time programs within the next 2-4 years.

Current Age - 24 (26-28 upon applying)
Full Time Work Experience - 1 year in real estate development/project work, hired full-time from an intern role (Aiming for 3-5 years upon applying)
GMAT - 710 - took my test yesterday
GPA - NOT GOOD - 1 year at SMU 2.9, 1 year at community college 4.0, 2 years and graduation from UC Davis 2.5
Extracurricular - Animal shelter volunteer work (I need to add more here)

I plan on doing the UCSD project management extension program and getting my CAPM certification as well.

Backstory:
I never took school seriously, I wanted to do the bare minimum to graduate and get on with life. Never had aspirations for graduate school. 2 years ago I was in a major car accident that left me with some lifelong physical disability (my left arm is paralyzed) and an entirely new attitude on life.

My thoughts are that I can argue to schools, in big part due to my accident, that I'm a near completely different person than my ~2.5 undergrad GPA shows(I really am). I would then go on to use my GMAT, Work Experience, Recommendation Letters, and Extracurricular work (I need more here) as evidence to support my claims.

Does this seem like something a school would realistically consider? It seems rational to me but I want to get confirmation that I'm being realistic. I'm really worried about my very poor GPA.

I'm only going to apply to the schools that I scored at or above the GMAT average, this is my list of schools of interest:

McCombs (UT Austin) 703
USC Marshall 703
Duke Fuqua 702
UNC Kenan-Flagler 701
Cornell Johnson 700
Olin (St. Louis) 694
McDonough (Georgetown) 692
WP Carey (Arizona State) 682
Naveen Jindal (UT Dallas) 678
Mendoza (Notre Dame) 674
Fisher (Ohio State) 670
SMU Cox 660
Isenberg (UMass at Amherst) 659
University of Tennessee (Haslam) 656
Terry (Georgia) 647
Mays (Texas A&M) 638
Carroll (Boston College) 637
Smith (Maryland) 629

Do any of these seem realistic?

Thank you.

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Basic Profile Evaluation Request - Do I Have A Realistic Shot?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 04:04
With the GMAT score of 710 you can target best B-Schools and to compensate your low GPA you need to work more on building strong profile.
Rather than worrying about low GPA try to add value to your profile by showing the number of promotions you have and and the critical situation you have handled and
what makes you a better leader and how you can add value to the B-Schools.
Admission Consultant
P
Basic Profile Evaluation Request - Do I Have A Realistic Shot?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 06:50
I have read about students with serious disabilities studying at top b-schools. You should be able to convince the adcom that you have it in you to go through the rigor of the MBA program.

I'd suggest you build up some solid work experience over the next few years that supports your claim that you are a changed person.

In the time upto the applications, take some quant courses at an extension program or MBA Math- they will help you build a more recent transcript which will be more relevant and will further enhance your image.

At this point, I would not go speculating about business schools. However, if you can meet up some adcoms and establish an early relationship at your top target programs, it can be beneficial when you apply.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Our new book on AMAZON Kindle: THE MOST DEFINITIVE GUIDE FOR MBA INTERVIEW PREPARATION

GMAT Club Bot
Basic Profile Evaluation Request - Do I Have A Realistic Shot? &nbs [#permalink] 23 Jul 2018, 06:50

Basic Profile Evaluation Request - Do I Have A Realistic Shot?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap