Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 578 [91]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V28
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [38]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, along with other former slaves [#permalink]
Kudos
dancinggeometry wrote:
Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, along with other former slaves and white abolitionists, helped create what had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were responsible for leading hundreds, if not thousands, of slaves to freedom.

(A) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
(B) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
(C) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and was
(D) has been becoming known as the Underground Railroad, and was
(E) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and was

Subject is HT means was is correct. A & B are out.

D is continuous tense and wrong.

C is wrong because it uses had.

We need to reflect the future in the past (Eww!) For lack of better words. IMO, E is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, along with other former slaves [#permalink]
Kudos
A) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
(B) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and were
(C) had become known as the Underground Railroad, and was
(D) has been becoming known as the Underground Railroad, and was
(E) would become known as the Underground Railroad, and was

A and B are wrong because were is wrong.
C - Wrong . Because it means that when it was getting constructed it had become known. Changing the meaning of sentence.
D - been becoming - is wrong. This cannot be progressive verb.
E - Correct
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:
Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, along with other former slaves and white abolitionists, helped create what had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were responsible for leading hundreds, if not thousands, of slaves to freedom.

Create Railroad ---------> Civil War -------->Underground Railroad

Harriet Tubman, along with other former slaves and white abolitionists = X along with Y and Z Requires a singular Verb since the later part of the sentence claims : .......responsible for leading...... ( This must logically refer to Harriet Tubman, along with .......)

A. had become known as the Underground Railroad, and were - Incorrect.

B. would become known as the Underground Railroad, and were - Incorrect.

C. had become known as the Underground Railroad, and was

Had become refers to completed Action Before Something in the Past which is logically not true.

D. has been becoming known as the Underground Railroad, and was

" Has been " refers to duration from the Past Until Now / Recently/Lately which logically doesn't fint into the context of the sentence..

E. would become known as the Underground Railroad, and was

Would become correctly refers to future actions of the past...

Plz guide me if I am wrong. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Hi all,

I understand that 'were' is incorrect here, but my question is why ?

When you use the condition: if 'past simple' then --> 'would' you should use "were" instead of "was".

It wasn't enforced here because there is no condition, just a description of the past ?

Thanks
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
bonke88 wrote:
Hi all,

When you use the condition: if 'past simple' then --> 'would' you should use "were" instead of "was".

It wasn't enforced here because there is no condition, just a description of the past ?

Thanks

Consider this part -

..........Harriet Tubman, along with other former slaves and white abolitionists,............

Refer S-V agremment, whenever the phrase along with is present in a sentence the verb must agree with the Noun precceeding the phrase along with...

Hence, was is correct...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
bonke88 wrote:

Hi bonke88m, indeed, you might be confusing this with (what's called) hypothetical subjunctive, wherein you need use were. However, this is not that case.

As you rightly mention, this is just a description of the past and so, will follow the regular rules of Subject-verb agreement.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Subjunctive, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
E

"were" is wrong....hence A and B are out. Also, between C, D and E, "would become" is required and hence E is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [1]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Kudos
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION FROM MANHATTAN

The original sentence contains two flaws. First, "what had become known as the Underground Railroad" is incorrectly in the past perfect tense ("had become"). The past perfect is used to describe a past event that occurred before another past event. In this case, however, the "Underground Railroad" did not become known as such (or known as anything at all) until after it was created, and there is no past action that occurs afterward that would justify the use of the past perfect tense. Second, the subject of the sentence is "Harriet Tubman" only; phrases such as "along with," "accompanied by," and "as well as" do not create plural subjects (only "and" allows for the formation of a plural subject). Yet, the verb used in the original sentence is "were," which suggests a plural subject. Instead, the correct verb form "was" is necessary in order to agree with the singular subject "Harriet Tubman."

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This choice corrects the verb tense by replacing the past perfect with the conditional "would become known" (used to express the future from the point of view of the past: "I said yesterday that I would go to the store today.") However, it does not correct the subject-verb agreement problem (retaining "were").

(C) This choice does not correct the verb tense issue, retaining the incorrect past perfect tense. It does correct the subject-verb agreement by replacing "were" with "was."

(D) This choice uses the incorrect and awkward verb phrase "has been becoming," which incorrectly suggests that the labeling of the Underground Railroad continues to the present day. However, it does correct the subject-verb agreement by replacing "were" with "was."

(E) CORRECT. This choice corrects the verb tense by replacing "had become" with "would become." Moreover, it corrects the subject-verb agreement issue by replacing "were" with "was."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 336
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Hi,

Please let me know if the use of "would become" is correct here. We are refering to an action that occured in the past. Then how is this use correct.

Please help me understand.

Thank You
Sonal
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Past perfect in c implies it was known as the underground before it was constructed... take note of the 'before' at the beginning of the sentence.f
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, along with other former slaves [#permalink]
Hi

Could someone please explain why "had" in (C) is incorrect?
Doesn't Before the Civil War count as an event in the past before which the naming "had" happened?

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma DmitryFarber BillyZ mikemcgarry Sajjad1994
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
sheldongeorge wrote:
Hi

Could someone please explain why "had" in (C) is incorrect?
Doesn't Before the Civil War count as an event in the past before which the naming "had" happened?

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma DmitryFarber BillyZ mikemcgarry Sajjad1994

sheldongeorge, Before the civil war sets the timeline for creation, but Had puts a dent to it as had is used to describe the earlier of the 2 related events - creation and coming to be known. Has makes the timeline clearer.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM