It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 11:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before the regime change, the National Museum regularly displayed only

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2011
Posts: 128

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Before the regime change, the National Museum regularly displayed only [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2011, 14:07
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (02:35) correct 35% (03:26) wrong based on 26 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Before the regime change, the National Museum regularly displayed only one third of the artifacts in its collection; the other two thirds were kept in storage. The National Museum’s curator estimates that one seventh to one fifth of the artifacts in the museum’s collection disappeared during the regime change. If the National Museum now wishes to display the same number of artifacts as it did before the regime change, and if none of the missing artifacts are recovered, then the museum will keep in storage:

1) \(4/5\) to \(6/7\) of artifacts in collection

2) \(9/14\) to \(13/20\)

3) \(3/5\) to \(5/7\)

4) \(7/12\) to \(11/18\)

5) \(7/18\) to \(5/12\)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2011
Posts: 128

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Re: Before the regime change, the National Museum regularly displayed only [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2011, 14:14
I do not think that OA is spot on. Here's why it could be.

Total no of artifacts= 105 (3*5*7)

Stolen= 15 to 21 (1/7 to 1/5)

Remain = 84 to 90

keep in storage= 56 to 60

this equals 8/12 to 2/3. Can someone explain pls?

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1964

Kudos [?]: 2051 [0], given: 376

Re: Before the regime change, the National Museum regularly displayed only [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2011, 14:20
Chetangupta wrote:
I do not think that OA is spot on. Here's why it could be.

Total no of artifacts= 105 (3*5*7)

Stolen= 15 to 21 (1/7 to 1/5)

Remain = 84 to 90

keep in storage= 56 to 60

this equals 8/12 to 2/3. Can someone explain pls?


84 -> 90 is correct.

Requirement is: Museum wants to display the number of artifacts that it did before. Before, it displayed 35 i.e. 1/3*105

Now too:
35

If 21 were stolen
84-35=49
49/84-> store

If 15 stolen:
Total=90
Display=35
Store=90-35=55
55/90->Store
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2051 [0], given: 376

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2011
Posts: 128

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Re: Before the regime change, the National Museum regularly displayed only [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2011, 14:22
fluke wrote:
Chetangupta wrote:
I do not think that OA is spot on. Here's why it could be.

Total no of artifacts= 105 (3*5*7)

Stolen= 15 to 21 (1/7 to 1/5)

Remain = 84 to 90

keep in storage= 56 to 60

this equals 8/12 to 2/3. Can someone explain pls?


84 -> 90 is correct.

Requirement is: Museum wants to display the number of artifacts that it did before. Before, it displayed 35 i.e. 1/3*105

Now too:
35

If 21 were stolen
84-35=49
49/84-> store

If 15 stolen:
Total=90
Display=35
Store=90-35=55
55/90->Store



Yup, totally missed out that part. :(

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 726

Kudos [?]: 143 [1], given: 42

Re: Before the regime change, the National Museum regularly displayed only [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2011, 14:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
let T be total number of artifacts initially.

stolen (1/7)T to (1/5)T

left (6/7)T to (4/5)T = new total

1/3 for display T/3

storage (6/7)T -T/3 to (4/5)- T/3

11/21 T to 7T/15

so storage to new total = (11T/21) / (6T/7) to (7T/15) / (4T/5)

i.e 11/18 to 7/12

Answer is D.

Kudos [?]: 143 [1], given: 42

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 16661

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Before the regime change, the National Museum regularly displayed only [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 06:37
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7674

Kudos [?]: 17361 [1], given: 232

Location: Pune, India
Re: Before the regime change, the National Museum regularly displayed only [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 09:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Chetangupta wrote:
Before the regime change, the National Museum regularly displayed only one third of the artifacts in its collection; the other two thirds were kept in storage. The National Museum’s curator estimates that one seventh to one fifth of the artifacts in the museum’s collection disappeared during the regime change. If the National Museum now wishes to display the same number of artifacts as it did before the regime change, and if none of the missing artifacts are recovered, then the museum will keep in storage:

1) \(4/5\) to \(6/7\) of artifacts in collection

2) \(9/14\) to \(13/20\)

3) \(3/5\) to \(5/7\)

4) \(7/12\) to \(11/18\)

5) \(7/18\) to \(5/12\)


Since everything is in fraction terms, assume a total number of artifacts, say 210 (an easy multiple of 3, 7 and 5)

Regularly displayed = (1/3)*210 = 70
Kept in storage = 140

Disappeared artefacts = 1/7th to 1/5th = 30 to 42

So number of artefacts in storage now are 110 to 98

So museum will keep in its storage 110/180 to 98/168 of its collection.

We have only one option with 11/18 hence that must be the answer.

Answer (D)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17361 [1], given: 232

Re: Before the regime change, the National Museum regularly displayed only   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2017, 09:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Before the regime change, the National Museum regularly displayed only

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.