GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 01:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads elephants

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads elephants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Apr 2018, 04:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:21) correct 43% (01:29) wrong based on 134 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads, elephants emit low-frequency sounds that may be used as a secret language to communicate with other members of the herd.

(A) Believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads, elephants emit low-frequency sounds that may be used
(B) Elephants emit low-frequency sounds that are believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads, and they may use this
(C) Elephants emit low-frequency sounds, believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads, that they may use
(D) Originating, it is believed, from a small area on their foreheads; elephants emit low-frequency sounds they may use
(E) Originating, it is believed, from a small area on their foreheads, low-frequency sounds are emitted by elephants that may be used

Originally posted by smritisingh8 on 11 Apr 2018, 03:41.
Last edited by abhimahna on 11 Apr 2018, 04:32, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added OA
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads elephants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 05:48
(A) Believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads, elephants emit low-frequency sounds that may be used - Modifier error. Believed to originate.... must modify low frequency sounds and not elephanths

(B) Elephants emit low-frequency sounds that are believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads, and they may use this - We are not about the antecedent for 'this'

(C) Elephants emit low-frequency sounds, believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads, that they may use - Correct.

(D) Originating, it is believed, from a small area on their foreheads; elephants emit low-frequency sounds they may use - Same error as A + ';' is incorrectly used to connect a dependent clause with independent clause

(E) Originating, it is believed, from a small area on their foreheads, low-frequency sounds are emitted by elephants that may be used - 'that' illogically refers to elephants

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Re: Believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads elephants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 05:57
My main doubt is that in option E, what does 'that' refer to.

Elephants or sounds?

Please help. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-T285 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 06:07
Ideally 'that' should refer to low frequency sounds. But, in option E 'that' is referring to elephants.

smritisingh8 wrote:
My main doubt is that in option E, what does 'that' refer to.

Elephants or sounds?

Please help. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-T285 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 03:05
Thanks Vaishak. That helps.

Is there some guideline or conceptual material also that you can recommend for this?

I generally get confused in these of, by, from phrases.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 21:09
Elephants emit low-frequency sounds, believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads, that they may use
please tell here "that" refers to foreheads or low frequency sound?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 21:53
“That” refers to the sounds in option E. There’s no valid reason to use “that” right after the word elephants In option E if wanted to refer to the elephants again.

Makes no sense to me.

On the other hand, among other reasons, I think D and E are not the best answers because of the sheer complexity of the sentences and the lack of brevity.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 21:55
divyeshdoshi wrote:
“That” refers to the sounds in option E. There’s no valid reason to use “that” right after the word elephants In option E if wanted to refer to the elephants again.

Makes no sense to me.

On the other hand, among other reasons, I think D and E are not the best answers because of the sheer complexity of the sentences and the lack of brevity.

Hi D and E indeed wrong answer but in C if you notice 'that" refers to the forehead of elephant rather it should modify " Sounds".Are you satisfied with this? if so then can can you explain?
Intern
Intern
Believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads elephants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 22:01
Tanmoy93 wrote:
divyeshdoshi wrote:

Makes no sense to me.

Hi D and E indeed wrong answer but in C if you notice 'that" refers to the forehead of elephant rather it should modify " Sounds".Are you satisfied with this? if so then can can you explain?

I understand your query. I’ll put my explanation this way :

Option A cannot be the answer because of SV disagreement.

Option B - towards the end of the sentence the word “this” indicates a singular noun but when the noun is plural “sounds” , “these” would have been more correct

Option C - Ignore the second clause and try to read the sentence without it. It’ll still make logical sense. Although I’m not entirely sure if that’s the right way to go about it.

Options D and E- look rubbish to me because of the way they’re drafted

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 22:11
divyeshdoshi wrote:
Tanmoy93 wrote:
divyeshdoshi wrote:

Makes no sense to me.

I understand your query. I’ll put my explanation this way :

Option A cannot be the answer because of SV disagreement.

Option B - towards the end of the sentence the word “this” indicates a singular noun but when the noun is plural “sounds” , “these” would have been more correct

Option C - Ignore the second clause and try to read the sentence without it. It’ll still make logical sense. Although I’m not entirely sure if that’s the right way to go about it.

Options D and E- look rubbish to me because of the way they’re drafted

thank you so much. looks logical to me.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads elephants &nbs [#permalink] 30 Aug 2018, 22:11

Believed to originate from a small area on their foreheads elephants

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap