GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Best Online GMAT Study Resources?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Haas '21
GRE 1: Q162 V161
GPA: 3.1
Premium Member CAT Tests
Best Online GMAT Study Resources?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 09:52
I recently took the GMAT and was disappointed with my score. I had been scoring 650-670 on MGMAT CATs and I scored a 710 on the GMAC software. However, when I tested last week I scored a 620 (41Q 35V). This was after reading most of the Manhattan books, but probably not practicing enough difficult questions. I struggled in SC and number properties.

I am currently on a 4 month long overseas assignment and have access to a work computer during the day. I can do practice problems online but cant download any software on the computer. I can only have a book or two at my desk at a time, and probably will go at most an hour uninterupted, hence the focus on online problems with books to supplement.

I am thinking Magoosh 3 month advanced plan if anyone is familiar. Really looking to do lots of practice problems while at my desk, but at a pace that can take pauses throughout the day as work comes in. I already purchased the OG guides and Manhattan guides.

Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Magoosh Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Best Online GMAT Study Resources?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 10:14
Hi jmabach

I think you should focus to improving your Quant scores to the Q49-50 range
and try and push harder to get your verbal score to V40.

For Quant I wouldn't recommend any other online resource except the
GMATClub Quant Mega-Thread for concepts and the GMATClub Tests
and the forum for Quant practice. Make sure to use the workBook
feature here at GMATClub to the fullest.

As for Sentence Correction, you could use the Manhattan Strategy Guides
for basic strategy and use Magoosh/Veritas question banks for advanced
practice.

These posts might come in handy to improve your scores
1.V30 -> V40
2.Q44 -> Q50

Make it a point to write down why you get questions wrong and read this learning
from time to time. Maintaining an error-log will go a long way in improving your score.
Use the questions in the OG and the other official questions towards the end of your
preparation!

Hope this helps you.

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Best Online GMAT Study Resources?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 13:17
Hi jmabach,

Based on what you've described about the 'limitations' in terms of how you can study, how were you taking your practice CATs? It does not sound as though you could have take a Full CAT in one sitting - and if you had to take your CATs in 'pieces', then those score results would have likely been 'inflated.'

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 15:05
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jmabach,

Based on what you've described about the 'limitations' in terms of how you can study, how were you taking your practice CATs? It does not sound as though you could have take a Full CAT in one sitting - and if you had to take your CATs in 'pieces', then those score results would have likely been 'inflated.'

Rich

I took those under test like conditions, I even travelled to my parents hpiae for my last (710) cat to get into an unfamiliar-ish space. I just arrived overseas a few days ago.

My plan for taking CATs here is to take them when I am off work. Ill have to wake up early or take them after my shift. I take the test in quant/verbal/IR/essay order. If I am in a time crunch, I may have to skip IR and AWA, but I maxed out IR on my last gmat and breezed through AWA.
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 07:44
What I think os realistic based on my circumstances here is trying to find large banks of practice questions to work on throughout the day. And take a CAT every other week.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 22:16
Hi jmabach,

When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. As such, I'd like to know a bit more about how you took your CATs:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: in an online forum or in a practice set)?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 00:43
Rich, responses are below:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?

-Yes. I take the test in Q/V/IR/AWA order. I scored an 8 on the IR on the GMAT I took as well.

2) Did you take them at home?

Yes. Minus one I took at work.

3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?

Roughly. But I had a few appointments in the morning, whereas on my practice tests I usually slept in/relaxed before taking them.

4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?

No.

5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: in an online forum or in a practice set)?

No.
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 08:48
Did some research and tried out some resources, and my plan is below. This is based upon 3-6 hours of studying daily, but with frequent interruptions due to my job.

Its a habit approach vs a specific plan.

Daily:
-Study MGMAT books, Kaplan 800, and MGMAT advanced, take notes on anything that I dont have 100% confidence on. Sprinkle in some idiom flashcards and some LSAT RC as needed.
-Do practice questions from GMAT club tests, forums, and veritas (Ill probably buy the on demand course, need some CATS anyway). Add OG as test gets closer. Do all five types, morning quant and afternoon verbal. Keep error log and update notes as needed with new concepts.

Weekly:
-Take GMAT club tests under test like conditions (found a library where I can get away once a week for a few hours).
-Redo inncorrect questions from error log.
-Review notes.

Bi-weekly:
-Take full mock (MGMAT, Veritas, and GMAC as test day gets closer) under test like conditions.
-Review mock and update notes as needed.

If you have any feedback, it would be appreciated. With everything I've read, seems like a consistent, disciplined approach is the way ahead for me.

Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 13:13
Hi jmabach,

Your Study Plan sounds reasonable, so you should proceed as planned. Based on your prior work, there are some things you should keep in mind about how you take your future CATs though:

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and that's what happened here. If you ever skip sections, take the CATs at home, take them at different times of day, etc., you aren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Test Day involves a variety of really specific steps and parameters (including steps before the Test even begins - such as leaving your home, traveling, etc.). Every factor matters, including the psychological ones. Now that you've taken the Official GMAT, you know the exact details about what goes into Test Day. You better prepare for your retake, you have to better mimic all of those aspects during practice.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

examPAL Representative
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 03:25
Hi,

It seems like our course would be a great fit for you.

www.exampal.com

Simon
Instructor at examPAL
Signup for a free GMAT course

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 09:40
you can try e-gmat, I heard a lot of good reviews.
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 20:43
I have been using this strategy for 2x weeks. I found a library here that very closely replicates a testing center (computers and desks with dividers). I installed the GMAC software again retook test one. I scored a 730, so slight improvement. Expected since I recognized a few of the questions from a month and a half ago. But what I really noticed was how much more stressed I was during this test. Much more distracting to test in a place you don't study. Thanks for the tip!
Re: Best Online GMAT Study Resources? &nbs [#permalink] 10 Mar 2018, 20:43

Best Online GMAT Study Resources?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap