Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sure - I think we are talking a little at cross purposes. They shouldn't say it is state of the art, because - in reality - it shouldn't be. They are screwing with some people's realities a little by selling themselves as such.

I think that what they offer does sound interesting, and it would be a good thing to be involved in if you wanted to follow that career path. By no means a complete education, but a nice feature.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
I used to work in a pit once. Open outcry is pretty wild, but seems to be dying via the route of electronic everything. but anyway.... I have some questions:

* Is S&T what it sounds like? Literally, being a trader in the traditional sense of the word? That is, market maker?

* Whats the sales side of things?

* If its being a trader, whats the big draw? As an undergrad, going into trading was what you did if you couldnt find a normal job. It meant a year plus as a 'runner' - basically doing nothing but being someone else's b***. It wasn't a glamorous job, nor was it a well paying job, nor was it a low stress job, and on top of that, there were no guarantee's you'd actually get to become a trader. In fact, pretty much the only thing you could count on was a high probability of becoming a cocaine addict, since that stuff flows like water in the pits. In fact, I know a friend who quit and got his MBA from Columbia (or is doing so now) precisely because he couldn't deal with all the blow anymore. In any case.... With an MBA, do you actually start trading from when you join or do you go through a similar multi-year good luck getting-of-the-desk-and-onto-the-floor role?

It just seems like trading, as I know it - being in a pit at some options exchange or something - is the one job you basically don't need anything but guts and some quant skills for. No one I know at the firms I know would give a flying !(@# if you had an MBA.

From what I've gathered and please correct me if I'm wrong: yes, traders are the market makers. Salesmen interact directly with clients to persuade to buy at the trader quoted prices, maybe less and pocket some $$ for their own.

I believe a fresh MBA enters a bank's trading program and can either be a trader at completion, or assistant trader who if he learns quickly enough becomes a trader. The difference between this scenario and the dreaded "can't find a job so I'll take a stock broker job" position is that you'll be working for a bank with huge assets which means you'll have support and you don't have to put in any of your own money.

I think the trading floors have been cleaned up a bit, albeit not entirely, and behavior is tamer compared with the past. I guess the allure is that trading is the closest thing to a true meritocracy in any industry. Also, the hours are more bearable and at most banks trading is the top earning branch.

Here's an excerpt from a NYMag article:
In the third quarter of this year, the company’s trading and principal investments (both equities and FICC) pulled in $5.1 billion in revenue, 69.5 percent of the firm’s total; asset management and securities services, $1.2 billion (16.6 percent); and investment banking, $1.02 billion (13.9 percent).

I think this Princeton M.Fin. is best geared for future traders. Take a look at curriculum, it's highly quantitative and the program is very tough to get into. Their placement record is excellent, but taking a look at student resumes, students probably wouldn't have a hard time finding a job w/o the M.Fin.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Best School for Trading? [#permalink]
7 years later there has been a significant shift in trading towards HFT and Program trading. I'm sure there has to be a few lists out there of top schools that traders hail from, right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
Cmoss wrote:
7 years later there has been a significant shift in trading towards HFT and Program trading. I'm sure there has to be a few lists out there of top schools that traders hail from, right?

Yes, but they're coming from MFE programs, not MBA programs. Columbia has a great one, as does Berkeley, MIT, and Chicago.

MFE is a masters of financial engineering, and it has some pretty heavy math prereqs (a calculus based statistics course is bare minimum) and some programming prequirements too. It's really designed for programmers to get an understanding of finance and then to program algorithms for banks.

I don't think any MBAs are getting hired as traders unless they already had existing trading experience. Maybe a few might get placed in energy trading in texas.. but not on wallstreet.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3