Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Booth or Ross? [#permalink]
full ride at ross vs 0 at booth would be tough but given the 60% scholarship at booth this seems like an easy decision
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Recent Michigan graduate, so I'm biased. Just to quickly share some thoughts here:

1, Presence in Tech: I agree that Chicago is one tier better than Berkeley and Michigan for overall b-school reputation. But actually it's not the same case in Tech, which is the area you're interested. Berkeley sends ~30% of its students to Tech, Michigan ~20%, while Chicago only ~12%. And here is a study about b-school presence in big tech companies: https://poetsandquants.com/2014/01/24/wh ... in-tech/2/. I don't think Chicago has a strong presence in Tech vs Berkeley and Michigan, even with the biggest class size among all three schools.

2, Atmosphere and daily routine:
I don't know much about Berkeley, but it's quite different in atmosphere and daily routine if you compare Chicago and Michigan. Try to figure out with which group you feel more comfortable. Also, it's critical to know whether you like living in a big city and commuting to school everyday, or you prefer a close-knit college town experience.

3, Final point:
Interestingly, I would say the decision here should be half ride at Berkeley vs full ride at Michigan, with the consideration of schools that can better serve your career goal in Tech. And I would strongly suggest you consider Michigan in this case, given the awesome full ride and great Tech recruiting here.

Feel free to let me know if you've any questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Statistics, Economics
Schools: Booth - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Booth gets plenty of offers from Google, Amazon, Microsoft, VMWare, startups, VCs... Heck, Microsoft's CEO is a Boothie! It's hard to argue that Booth does not place well in Tech.

And for what it's worth - the proportion of people who decide to go to Tech does not say anything about your odds of getting your dream job. It simply means that the class at Booth has more diverse interests and recruit for a more diverse set of industries / functions than Ross' or Haas'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
valerieangelkos wrote:
Hello,
I was admitted and enrolled to Booth during R1, after deciding between Booth (60% scholarship) vs. Haas (50% scholarship). I got a call from Ross a few days ago for a full ride scholarship, after being waitlisted. I am interested in Marketing in Tech. Any suggestions? Booth is a more top-ranked school and I loved it, but going with a full ride is smarter financially. Both schools are very close ranked in Marketing. I need to decide by Sunday.

Congrats! What did you decide?
i would visit both and decide. VERY different cultures. Booth is academic. people are friendly (don't buy into the awkward geek stereotype) and super smart - but this is a school where you need to know what you want. No one will hold your hand through the process. Think of it as the tools are there but you have to go get them - no one is going to explain all that is available and tell you this is what you should do.

Ross on the other hand is VERY family/community oriented. you feel it in how folks interact with others. if you're not the big group type of person it might be annoying to you.....

so idk - i would lean to ross...but you also need to think down the line - which will be more useful? plus - chicago vs ann arbor is vastly different. i would also say - ross is better for career switchers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GRE 1: Q162 V161
Send PM
Kudos
On paper, it may seem that you are paying nothing to go to Ross. However, the time you invest, the cost of living for two years, are investments too! So you might pay around 40k more for booth, but in long run it's nothing. Moreover, u say you loved Booth. Then go for it :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
BSchoolOnMyMind wrote:
On paper, it may seem that you are paying nothing to go to Ross. However, the time you invest, the cost of living for two years, are investments too! So you might pay around 40k more for booth, but in long run it's nothing. Moreover, u say you loved Booth. Then go for it :)

THIS.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Booth all the way. Hope you have a great time there?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
valerieangelkos wrote:
Hello,
I was admitted and enrolled to Booth during R1, after deciding between Booth (60% scholarship) vs. Haas (50% scholarship). I got a call from Ross a few days ago for a full ride scholarship, after being waitlisted. I am interested in Marketing in Tech. Any suggestions? Booth is a more top-ranked school and I loved it, but going with a full ride is smarter financially. Both schools are very close ranked in Marketing. I need to decide by Sunday.

I'm curious why you took Haas over Booth if you want tech. Looking to stay east coast maybe?

I would take Booth over Ross in almost every instance unless you want to do operations/supply-chain and got into Tauber. The scholarship differential of $50k makes this decision very interesting. Reputation and career options are very comparable even though Booth is considered better as of late. If you think the culture connects equally with you at both schools, go to Ann Arbor and take the money. If you REALLY love Booth, but are tempted to go to Ross because of the money even though it doesn't connect with you... screw it and go to the Booth. A 60% scholarship is great.

Congrats!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts