GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 18:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Booth or Ross?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Booth or Ross?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 18:11
Hello,
I was admitted and enrolled to Booth during R1, after deciding between Booth (60% scholarship) vs. Haas (50% scholarship). I got a call from Ross a few days ago for a full ride scholarship, after being waitlisted. I am interested in Marketing in Tech. Any suggestions? Booth is a more top-ranked school and I loved it, but going with a full ride is smarter financially. Both schools are very close ranked in Marketing. I need to decide by Sunday.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Booth or Ross?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 20:53
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Law (Law)

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 21:38
Booth. there is good money on the table at Booth and Booth is traditionally a notch at least above Ross. I presume Haas is not in the picture vis a vis the other two and one might even look at Haas over Ross.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2015, 11:16
full ride at ross vs 0 at booth would be tough but given the 60% scholarship at booth this seems like an easy decision
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2015, 13:16
Recent Michigan graduate, so I'm biased. Just to quickly share some thoughts here:

1, Presence in Tech: I agree that Chicago is one tier better than Berkeley and Michigan for overall b-school reputation. But actually it's not the same case in Tech, which is the area you're interested. Berkeley sends ~30% of its students to Tech, Michigan ~20%, while Chicago only ~12%. And here is a study about b-school presence in big tech companies: http://poetsandquants.com/2014/01/24/wh ... in-tech/2/. I don't think Chicago has a strong presence in Tech vs Berkeley and Michigan, even with the biggest class size among all three schools.

2, Atmosphere and daily routine:
I don't know much about Berkeley, but it's quite different in atmosphere and daily routine if you compare Chicago and Michigan. Try to figure out with which group you feel more comfortable. Also, it's critical to know whether you like living in a big city and commuting to school everyday, or you prefer a close-knit college town experience.

3, Final point:
Interestingly, I would say the decision here should be half ride at Berkeley vs full ride at Michigan, with the consideration of schools that can better serve your career goal in Tech. And I would strongly suggest you consider Michigan in this case, given the awesome full ride and great Tech recruiting here.

Feel free to let me know if you've any questions.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Statistics, Economics
Schools: Booth - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2015, 14:39
Booth gets plenty of offers from Google, Amazon, Microsoft, VMWare, startups, VCs... Heck, Microsoft's CEO is a Boothie! It's hard to argue that Booth does not place well in Tech.

And for what it's worth - the proportion of people who decide to go to Tech does not say anything about your odds of getting your dream job. It simply means that the class at Booth has more diverse interests and recruit for a more diverse set of industries / functions than Ross' or Haas'.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2015, 18:15
valerieangelkos wrote:
Hello,
I was admitted and enrolled to Booth during R1, after deciding between Booth (60% scholarship) vs. Haas (50% scholarship). I got a call from Ross a few days ago for a full ride scholarship, after being waitlisted. I am interested in Marketing in Tech. Any suggestions? Booth is a more top-ranked school and I loved it, but going with a full ride is smarter financially. Both schools are very close ranked in Marketing. I need to decide by Sunday.

Congrats! What did you decide?
Director
Director
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2015, 08:27
i would visit both and decide. VERY different cultures. Booth is academic. people are friendly (don't buy into the awkward geek stereotype) and super smart - but this is a school where you need to know what you want. No one will hold your hand through the process. Think of it as the tools are there but you have to go get them - no one is going to explain all that is available and tell you this is what you should do.

Ross on the other hand is VERY family/community oriented. you feel it in how folks interact with others. if you're not the big group type of person it might be annoying to you.....

so idk - i would lean to ross...but you also need to think down the line - which will be more useful? plus - chicago vs ann arbor is vastly different. i would also say - ross is better for career switchers.
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q162 V161

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2015, 11:26
On paper, it may seem that you are paying nothing to go to Ross. However, the time you invest, the cost of living for two years, are investments too! So you might pay around 40k more for booth, but in long run it's nothing. Moreover, u say you loved Booth. Then go for it :)
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2015, 18:46
BSchoolOnMyMind wrote:
On paper, it may seem that you are paying nothing to go to Ross. However, the time you invest, the cost of living for two years, are investments too! So you might pay around 40k more for booth, but in long run it's nothing. Moreover, u say you loved Booth. Then go for it :)

THIS.

Want a 6.0 on the AWA?
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 05:37
Booth all the way. Hope you have a great time there?
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 09:21
valerieangelkos wrote:
Hello,

I'm curious why you took Haas over Booth if you want tech. Looking to stay east coast maybe?

I would take Booth over Ross in almost every instance unless you want to do operations/supply-chain and got into Tauber. The scholarship differential of $50k makes this decision very interesting. Reputation and career options are very comparable even though Booth is considered better as of late. If you think the culture connects equally with you at both schools, go to Ann Arbor and take the money. If you REALLY love Booth, but are tempted to go to Ross because of the money even though it doesn't connect with you... screw it and go to the Booth. A 60% scholarship is great.

Congrats!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Booth or Ross?   [#permalink] 22 May 2015, 09:21

Booth or Ross?

new topic post reply Update application status