GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Apr 2020, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Booth v Tuck

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school would you choose?

• 60% [36]
  • 40% [24]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Booth v Tuck  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2015, 12:04
Hello everyone,

I have been truly fortunate to be accepted by multiple top 10 schools, but have narrowed it down to these two. I am a career switcher coming from consulting and am hoping to go into investment banking either in Chicago or NYC or SF (location is not a big factor). I am contemplating as the Tuck alumni base and community are very strong in helping with the career change, but at the same time one can't ignore the finance recognition Booth receives from recruiters. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob Jones
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Booth v Tuck  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2015, 11:11
You can get a job in IBD from either school. The cultures and environments are completely different, though. Visit both schools and see which one resonates with you more.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 07:06
any other thoughts or opinions?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Law (Law)

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 07:15
I prefer Tuck. Like you, I'm aiming IBD and got into Tuck and Booth, and Kellogg. But I've narrowed it to Tuck and Kellogg. Didn't feel such a strong fit with Booth despite visiting and talking to many students. Kind of silly as Booth is the 'finance' school compared to Tuck and Kellogg but I believe for IBD, each of these schools will get you to where you wish to go.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 07:42
wmay wrote:
I prefer Tuck. Like you, I'm aiming IBD and got into Tuck and Booth, and Kellogg. But I've narrowed it to Tuck and Kellogg. Didn't feel such a strong fit with Booth despite visiting and talking to many students. Kind of silly as Booth is the 'finance' school compared to Tuck and Kellogg but I believe for IBD, each of these schools will get you to where you wish to go.

That is unique indeed. For the bulge brackets that recruit at the top 10, roughly how many interview spots are given at each school? Do they differ by school? If so, can any current students delve into how the process works at their respective schools? Thank you!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V46

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 13:36
As KingFalcon said, both these schools will get you into IBD. I personally feel that if both schools will help you get to the same goal, you should evaluate the brand of the school and fit. Also, take into account the kind of environment you want to spend the next 2 years. Chicago is a metropolitan city whereas Tuck is a rural environment and fairly hard to get to.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 15:09
Thank you all for your input. The reason I am curious is that after visiting both schools and talking to current students I can see myself at both schools. However, my main concern is will there be different levels of difficulty for securing interviews when in comes to on campus recruiting for IB. For example, Tuck will have less people recruiting for IB than Booth but Booth will most likely have more banks come on site. My concern with Booth is that will the same people get the same interview slots over and over again? On the reverse side for Tuck, will the banks interview less people while on campus due to the school being smaller?
Stanford School Moderator
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 16:24
bobjoneslee wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have been truly fortunate to be accepted by multiple top 10 schools, but have narrowed it down to these two. I am a career switcher coming from consulting and am hoping to go into investment banking either in Chicago or NYC or SF (location is not a big factor). I am contemplating as the Tuck alumni base and community are very strong in helping with the career change, but at the same time one can't ignore the finance recognition Booth receives from recruiters. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob Jones

If you want to go into investment banking in a city like Chicago, NYC, or SF, I think Booth is the place for you... After all, Booth is IN one of those cities and finance happens to be its "thing."

I had a big long response typed out debating the merits of each school, ultimately concluding that, in my opinion, Booth is where you should go, but the cultures are so different between the two that you should really focus on which one fits you the best. Both schools will get you where you want to go so go to the one that will allow you to be happiest.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 16:33
Go where you felt the best connection. From the Tuck side of the house, I know everyone who came in looking at IBD in my class (2016) got multiple interviews and many got multiple offers. If you are interested in IBD, you will get an IBD job coming from either Tuck or Booth.

With that said, the programs are night and day difference. But you won't go wrong in terms of your professional goals, so try and decide which group of people you want to spend two years with. Not to mention small town New England versus Chicago.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 07:13
Thanks everyone for the insight. Does anyone know how many interview slots are provided per company during on campus recruiting?
Stanford School Moderator
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 07:38
bobjoneslee wrote:
Thanks everyone for the insight. Does anyone know how many interview slots are provided per company during on campus recruiting?

I doubt there is a set amount. The more qualified applicants, the better.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 08:56
@bobjoneslee..........did you decide what to do? Just curious!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2015, 22:16
Shakandbake wrote:
@bobjoneslee..........did you decide what to do? Just curious!

havent decided yet will be decidin by the end of the month!
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q162 V161

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 14:46
bobjoneslee wrote:

At Tuck, 50% of the interview slots are set for bidding. So if you are really really interested in a particular position, you can bid high enough and get a guaranteed interview slot.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2015, 12:59
bobjoneslee wrote:
I am a career switcher coming from consulting and am hoping to go into investment banking either in Chicago or NYC or SF (location is not a big factor). I am contemplating as the Tuck alumni base and community are very strong in helping with the career change, but at the same time one can't ignore the finance recognition Booth receives from recruiters. What are your thoughts?

Tuck vs Booth is generally a matter of taste (academics culture and location) given the career opportunities are comparable with Tuck being a stronger network whereas Booth will have more companies recruiting on-campus given its larger size. I would prefer Tuck myself because of its culture and network. However, if you want investment banking, I've heard from a bulge bracket M&A banking director that Booth is a target school for more banks so your opportunity net is wider. Some firms have reduced the number of target schools in the past years. I've heard that most people at Booth and Tuck who want investment banking jobs land them, but I haven't seen any hard data.
Intern
Intern
Booth v Tuck  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 11:11
You have a great dilemma bud! Both are great schools and will get you want you want (hard work and networking is needed of course). As other people have said above, you should definitely consider what else you want from the next two years. Chicago is a finance power house and is located in a metropolitan that offers you lots of opportunities to indulge in things that might not be as easily accessible from Tuck, which is located in a rural area. Of course rural / secluded setting offers its own rewards I guess.

Do consider location, final work location post-MBA, etc. when it comes to making your decision! Best of luck and post your decision once you have made it.
GMAT Club Bot
Booth v Tuck   [#permalink] 27 May 2015, 11:11

Booth v Tuck

new topic post reply Update application status