Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 513 [8]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [13]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.63
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [3]
Given Kudos: 340
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: By the time the American colonists took up arms against Great Britain [#permalink]
In question 4, in my opinion use of the word “some” makes the choice wrong or at least competitive wrong to choice d
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Send PM
Re: By the time the American colonists took up arms against Great Britain [#permalink]
Kudos
prototypevenom wrote:
In question 4, in my opinion use of the word “some” makes the choice wrong or at least competitive wrong to choice d

You're right in that the word "some" casts some ambiguity - It means that that after the war of independence, among the states that were liberated as a result at least one made efforts to abolish slavery, but the passage suggests most of the Eastern States took efforts. It is possible that the Eastern states that were liberated never did anything to work towards the emancipation of the slaves, but it is an unlikely scenario because the passage mentions that MOST of the states (ie. at least half) took efforts, and that this was AFTER the war, which is likely to have liberated many if not all the states, else it would have been a failure.

In the presence of a better option, we could have dropped this option for this reason, but others have more fatal errors.

If choice D only talked about emancipation, it could have worked. But it also talks about inclusion into society as equal members which is out of the scope of the passage and a completely different idea.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
trigradius wrote:
Passage Summary -
The first para talks about the contradiction inherent in the fight undertaken by American's for their independence, when black slavery was deeply entrenched. Abigail claims it is not fair, and also ironic.

The second para tells us that others like Abigail who are also aware of this contradiction are also keen on doing something about this. The passage then illustrates a few examples of efforts taken by them during and after the war to negate this contradiction.

Q1) Which of the following best states the central idea of the passage?

(A) The War of Independence produced among many Black Americans a heightened consciousness of the inequities in American society. -The passage suggests that the War made American's more aware of the contradiction and not Black Americans specifically.
(B) The War of Independence strengthened the bonds of slavery of many Black Americans while intensifying their desire to be free. -No mention of bonds of slavery, or the desire of Black Americans to be free in the passage
(C) The War of Independence exposed to many Americans the contradiction of slavery in a country seeking its freedom and resulted in efforts to resolve that contradiction. - Fits the summary of the passage
(D) The War of Independence provoked strong criticisms by many Americans of the institution of slavery, but produced little substantive action against it.-provoked strong criticisms is a bit strong here, but acceptable. The real problem is that no action was taken against the criticisms, when there clearly were some actions taken to try and abolish slavery.
(E) The War of Independence renewed the efforts of many American groups toward achieving Black emancipation. -There is no mention in the passage of efforts taken before the American's took to arms against Britain. At best, it supports efforts taken during or after the War.

IMO C

2. The passage contains information that would support which of the following statements about the colonies before the War of Independence?

(A) They contained organized antislavery societies. -The time frame for this is unclear in the passage. From the passage, we can assume it could have taken place during the War or after.
(B) They allowed individuals to own slaves. -It is mentioned in the passage that individuals "manumitted" their slaves (which from context seems to mean "liberated"). This could only happen if they had slaves to begin with before the War
(C) They prohibited religious groups from political action. -No mention of this in the passage
(D) They were inconsistent in their legal definitions of slave status. -No mention of this in the passage
(E) They encouraged abolitionist societies to expand their influence. -No mention of this in the passage

IMO B

3. According to the passage, the War of Independence was embarrassing to some Americans for which of the following reasons?

I. It involved a struggle for many of the same liberties that Americans were denying to others. -Mentioned in the passage
II. It involved a struggle for independence from the very nation that had founded the colonies. -No mention of Britain being the founding nation
III. It involved a struggle based on inconsistencies in the participants’ conceptions of freedom. - There were no inconsistencies in conceptions, just a contradiction

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II, and III

IMO A

Q4) Which of the following statements regarding American society in the years immediately following the War of Independence is best supported by the passage?

(A) The unexpected successes of the antislavery societies led to their gradual demise in the Eastern states. -No mention of this in the passage
(B) Some of the newly independent American states had begun to make progress toward abolishing slavery.-Eastern States are mentioned to have moved towards emancipating slaves after the War. KEEP
(C) Americans like Abigail Adams became disillusioned with the slow progress of emancipation and gradually abandoned the cause.-No mention of Abigail abandoning the cause.
(D) Emancipated slaves gradually were accepted in the Eastern states as equal members of American society. -This is a bit of a stretch, since there is no mention of the emancipated slaves being accepted into society as equals. while this is definitely possible, the passage states nothing to support this.
(E) The abolition of slavery in many Eastern states was the result of close cooperation between religious groups and free Blacks.-No mention of this
in the passage

IMO B

In the 4th question, where does it state that the eastern states were the first ones to get freedom?
I am confused.
you use the same reasoning to define that D is not correct.
care to explain?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
believerinthy wrote:

In the 4th question, where does it state that the eastern states were the first ones to get freedom?
I am confused.
you use the same reasoning to define that D is not correct.
care to explain?

The last line of the passage does talk of the eastern states working towards emancipation, but it doesn't talk about emancipated slaves being included in their states as equals. Emancipation and equality are two different things here - so between B and D, B is a better choice since it only talks about emancipation efforts by independent states.

It is true that Eastern states are not mentioned explicitly as ones that obtained freedom after the war, but it is safe to say some of them were liberated if not all of them. So the independent states mentioned in option B can still refer to these Eastern States.

Hope this helps! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I answered all the questions correctly but it took me 4 mins to read the passage and 4.30 mins to answer. What is the expert's opinion about time?
Quote:
P1 - Blacks have the right to become free as American colonists have.
P2 - Antislavery movements were succeeded after the independence war.

MI - Slavery should be removed and antislavery movements were succeeded.

1. Which of the following best states the central idea of the passage? => main idea qs

(A) The War of Independence produced among many Black Americans a heightened consciousness of the inequities in American society. => captures only p1.
(B) The War of Independence strengthened the bonds of slavery of many Black Americans while intensifying their desire to be free. => Indeed but doesn't include the key points of P2.
(C) The War of Independence exposed to many Americans the contradiction of slavery(P1) in a country seeking its freedom and resulted in efforts to resolve that contradiction(P2). => Yes, war exposed the contradiction and efforts were taken to solve the contradiction.
(D) The War of Independence provoked strong criticisms by many Americans of the institution of slavery but produced little substantive action against it. The contradiction was highlighted not criticism and not little substantiative efforts were taken to resolve that contradiction.
(E) The War of Independence renewed the efforts of many American groups toward achieving Black emancipation. nothing stated about renewal even we cannot infer that actions were taken before the war.

2. The passage contains information that would support which of the following statements about the colonies before the War of Independence?

(A) They contained organized antislavery societies. => Antislavery societies were prepared during the war.
(B) They allowed individuals to own slaves. => Yes, we can infer that slaves were owned before war
(C) They prohibited religious groups from political action. => religious groups were mentioned only in "religious groups organized antislavery societies"
(D) They were inconsistent in their legal definitions of slave status. => No inconsistencies were mentioned in passage.
(E) They encouraged abolitionist societies to expand their influence. => Nothing state about the expansion of abolitionist societies.

3. According to the passage, the War of Independence was embarrassing to some Americans for which of the following reasons?

But the contradiction inherent in this situation was, for many, a source of constant embarrassment. “It always appeared a most iniquitous scheme to me, - stated in the passage only because of the iniquitous.

I. It involved a struggle for many of the same liberties that Americans were denying to others. - yes, they want independence but don't want their slave to be free
II. It involved a struggle for independence from the very nation that had founded the colonies. - true but it is not the reason why Americans were embarrassed.
III. It involved a struggle based on inconsistencies in the participants’ conceptions of freedom. - Indeed, they involved in struggle for the inconsistencies but that's not why they were embarrassed.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II, and III

4. Which of the following statements regarding American society in the years immediately following the War of Independence is best supported by the passage? => what happened after the war - most of the Eastern states had made provisions for the gradual emancipation of slaves. or antislavery socies succeeded

(A) The unexpected successes of the antislavery societies led to their gradual demise in the Eastern states. - Nobody died.
(B) Some of the newly independent American states had begun to make progress toward abolishing slavery. - Yes, gradually the slaves were emancipated.
(C) Americans like Abigail Adams became disillusioned with the slow progress of emancipation and gradually abandoned the cause. - nothing stated about AA after war.
(D) Emancipated slaves gradually were accepted in the Eastern states as equal members of American society. - out of scope
(E) The abolition of slavery in many Eastern states was the result of close cooperation between religious groups and free Blacks. - religious groups were involved but nothing specified about free blacks but this doesn't answer this qs.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
By the time the American colonists took up arms against Great Britain [#permalink]
trigradius wrote:
prototypevenom wrote:

You're right in that the word "some" casts some ambiguity - It means that that after the war of independence, among the states that were liberated as a result at least one made efforts to abolish slavery, but the passage suggests most of the Eastern States took efforts. It is possible that the Eastern states that were liberated never did anything to work towards the emancipation of the slaves, but it is an unlikely scenario because the passage mentions that MOST of the states (ie. at least half) took efforts, and that this was AFTER the war, which is likely to have liberated many if not all the states, else it would have been a failure.

In the presence of a better option, we could have dropped this option for this reason, but others have more fatal errors.

If choice D only talked about emancipation, it could have worked. But it also talks about inclusion into society as equal members which is out of the scope of the passage and a completely different idea.

Very common question why in Q4, D is not the answer?
The answer by trigradius is spot on and warrants more kudos! I have highlighted the part which explains why D is not the answer.
Answer to Q4 is B.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts