GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 06:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 19:56
Any update on scholarship?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 20:02
No mails till now i thnk we will get the mails by today..thats what the offer letter said..
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 20:38
I was told this week, all scholarships would be communicated.So ideally we are talking about the next few hours :-)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 51
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.14
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 23:53
Successful for Excellence Scholarship (25000 AUD). Does this mean that I did not qualify for the full fee waiver?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 11:03
avgroh wrote:
Successful for Excellence Scholarship (25000 AUD). Does this mean that I did not qualify for the full fee waiver?


Yes! The full fee is ~75k ,as we know.

But Congrats on this great achievement! Are you planning to go ahead.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 51
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.14
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2015, 11:15
Thinking about it still. Problem is I'm not even close to finding out the decisions of other schools that I've applied to. Might end up deferring by a year.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 05:53
ok. All the best avgroh!

Others who have accepted the offer - can we connect please ? my email is krsna83@gmail.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 23:00
Hi,
I have accepted the offer and paid the initial fee. But i have not received the eCoE yet. Anyone knows the process and the time it takes. Plus, who is applying for university-based accommodation?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 4
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 23:45
Any applicants in R3?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2015
Posts: 2
Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Oct 2015, 18:45
n

Originally posted by xoxo43 on 12 Oct 2015, 00:57.
Last edited by xoxo43 on 18 Oct 2015, 18:45, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 51
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.14
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 04:35
xoxo43 wrote:
For all the new applicant in one year time, you will be disappointed if you go ahead with the offer.

There's no professionalism in running the institute.
Feedback doesn't matter to management.
Course have outdated content and don't reflect the reality.
Big doubt if they will feature in next year FT rankings.
Career development best advise to student - MBA won't get you the job in Australia. :roll: - So, then what I am doing here.
No domestic student come to AGSM and if they do they leave the course mid-way.
Infrastructure sucks- Ancient Building, Smelly toilets, broken chair and table.
Best business school have non disclosure policy in term of marks. AGSM don't act and behave like top business school.
Lots of manipulation and double talk.

MBAs have no value in Australia. If you want to spend 75000$, then better do it in US, where company value the MBAs and many consulting companies hire in hordes.

Australian Graduate School of Management
Class of 2016
Class of 2017


Thanks for the inputs but can't help but note that you have given quite a damning review of the program. Why do you mention both Class of 2016 and Class of 2017 in your signature? What are you up to these days?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 01:19
5
Hey. Im a member of the 2016 Cohort.. What the guy above me wrote is mostly BS. I agree that consultant jobs are less as compared to US and that finding a job without PR is difficult. Having said that, im sure the above person knew this before coming to Australia for an MBA. :)

If youre coming to Australia for an MBA hoping to get a job and stay here WITHOUT a PR... then thats the wrong reason for coming here. I said this last year when my cohort was applying and ill sau it again.

The building isnt ancient... The toilets are not smelly.. The chairs and desks are perfectly fine. I guess the above guy is just sad he didnt get any interview calls during careers month... And I wonder why :p. I would blame AGSM for how they managed to enroll someone like him :p

Cheers
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2015
Posts: 1
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 22:23
3
As a current full-time student, I also want to disagree with the negative comments made above. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that is certainly not been my experience.

- The course have overall been of a high quality
- there is nothing wrong with the building in my opinion (apart from being a little tucked away at the back of campus)
- i have no idea what chairs of tables are broken ( I haven't seen any)
- the quality of students is really high (great diversity within the class and lots of really smart motivated people)
- No idea what the manipulation he/she is talking about.
- saying the MBA has no value in Australia is very misleading (no doubt it has less value than in the US), but it has successfully allowed me to switch careers and land a job
- careers team are helping and very involved - I got my current internship through careers, the careers month schedule was packed, the top consulting firms all recruited on campus
- having PR is definitely helpful, especially if you are looking at a smaller company here in australia (the big companies including consulting firms will generally sponsor), the extension does allow you to get a 2 year working visa as well

I am not saying the program is perfect, or that everyone's job outcomes will be perfect, but the overall experience for me and most of the classmates i have spoken to about it has been positive. The above post is very misleading and one sided in my opinion. anyone considering an offer is welcome to contact me and get some more feedback.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 51
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.14
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 00:44
1
Thanks for the detailed clarifications, guys.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 11
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 21:09
1
avgroh wrote:
Thanks for the detailed clarifications, guys.


To help you clarify even more:

ironbru23 was able to get a job because he's British, is well spoken, is well mannered and is probably in the top 10% of the class in terms of intelligence. He will be one of the 5-10 or so people who will land consulting jobs. However approximately 40 people out of 50 class size were interested in consulting and 30-35 will not get it, so the success rate at AGSM isn't great.

There is nothing wrong with the facilities or with the teaching. The school places poorly because it accepts students who are not qualified to land top jobs in Australia. It's up to the individual to get jobs and blaming the school for personal failures is pretty silly. That being said, AGSM's on campus recruiting is nowhere near the caliber of top American schools or at LBS/INSEAD. For example the consultancies at AGSM only interview for Australia offices while at the top schools they interview for offices all around the world.

If you decide to enroll at AGSM, be prepared to see lots of classmakes like xoxo43.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 11
Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 23:07
AmbitionMBA wrote:
ishan10 wrote:
I got in with $25000 scholarship... But hesitant because of the job scenario post graduation...

Do u guys have any suggestion?



i am hesitant to join too... i have heard AGSM is best in Australia so placement should be good...
i need information regarding financial help...


You're using faulty reasoning. The placement at AGSM is not good even though it's one of Australia's top MBA programs. All Australian MBA programs are pretty much jokes and the top firms (consultancies, ibanks, top tech firms etc.) mostly hire from Australian undergraduates or from top American B schools. Lots of Australians have never even heard of the MBA program and top Australian talents certainly do not enroll in Australian schools.

ibank and top tech firm recruiting out of Australian B schools is non-existent.

At AGSM this year, there were 4 Australians who enrolled. Three dropped out and one has a 5xx GMAT score.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 51
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.14
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 00:02
GurlGiggly wrote:
AmbitionMBA wrote:
ishan10 wrote:
I got in with $25000 scholarship... But hesitant because of the job scenario post graduation...

Do u guys have any suggestion?



i am hesitant to join too... i have heard AGSM is best in Australia so placement should be good...
i need information regarding financial help...


You're using faulty reasoning. The placement at AGSM is not good even though it's one of Australia's top MBA programs. All Australian MBA programs are pretty much jokes and the top firms (consultancies, ibanks, top tech firms etc.) mostly hire from Australian undergraduates or from top American B schools. Lots of Australians have never even heard of the MBA program and top Australian talents certainly do not enroll in Australian schools.

ibank and top tech firm recruiting out of Australian B schools is non-existent.

At AGSM this year, there were 4 Australians who enrolled. Two dropped out, one committed suicide, and one has a 5xx GMAT score.


Are you a recent/current student? If so, are you an international student and how have things worked out for you?

The reality is that outside the pool of top 10-20 B-schools, it's pretty much up to the (international) student to find a post-MBA job including conducting all the relevant immigration/market research.

What's non-negotiable is the quality of education, infrastructure, and genuine assistance from the school's career services department - areas in which it seems that AGSM does not seem to let its students down as such.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 11
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 00:10
avgroh wrote:
Are you a recent/current student? If so, are you an international student? How have things worked out for you, if you don't mind sharing?

The reality is that outside the pool of top 10-20 B-schools, it's pretty much up to the (international) student to find a post-MBA job including conducting all the relevant immigration/market research.

What's non-negotiable is the quality of education, infrastructure, and genuine assistance from the school's career services department - areas in which it seems that AGSM does not seem to let its students down as such.


There are two types of international students. Type 1 are students from rich countries (USA, EU etc.) which countries have bilateral agreements with Australia to allow for fast-track processing of work visa sponsorship. For these students getting sponsored is not difficult, however it's still up to the students to find a job. Everyone I know from these countries, with the exception of 1 person, were able to get at least one interview.

Type 2 are students from developing countries such as India that does not have a bilateral agreement with Australia. These people have a much more difficult time getting interviews and job offers because of more difficult visa rules, language barriers, and cultural barriers. Success rates for these students at finding good jobs is very low.

I suggest that you contact current AGSM students who come from developing countries to hear what they have to say.

Career services do their best to help you but their abilities are very limited.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 51
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.14
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 00:15
GurlGiggly wrote:
avgroh wrote:
Are you a recent/current student? If so, are you an international student? How have things worked out for you, if you don't mind sharing?

The reality is that outside the pool of top 10-20 B-schools, it's pretty much up to the (international) student to find a post-MBA job including conducting all the relevant immigration/market research.

What's non-negotiable is the quality of education, infrastructure, and genuine assistance from the school's career services department - areas in which it seems that AGSM does not seem to let its students down as such.


There are two types of international students. Type 1 are students from rich countries (USA, EU etc.) which countries have bilateral agreements with Australia to allow for fast-track processing of work visa sponsorship. For these students getting sponsored is not difficult, however it's still up to the students to find a job. Everyone I know from these countries, with the exception of 1 person, were able to get at least one interview.

Type 2 are students from developing countries such as India that does not have a bilateral agreement with Australia. These people have a much more difficult time getting interviews and job offers because of more difficult visa rules, language barriers, and cultural barriers. Success rates for these students at finding good jobs is very low.

I suggest that you contact current AGSM students who come from developing countries to hear what they have to say.

Career services do their best to help you but their abilities are very limited.


Agreed. This should be obvious to an informed prospective student. Get a PR before you go to Oz, or enroll for the extension program so that you get your post-study work visa.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 11
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 00:25
1
Correct. However while PR or the 2 year extension program will open doors for less competitive jobs, they definitely are not enough to land the top ones.

To give you some more stats about consulting:

In the last two graduating classes (Class of 2014 and 2015), one person landed BCG (German) and two landed McKinsey (both Australian) and nobody landed Bain. So success rate at MBB is only 3 out of 100+ students despite a large amount of interest from the class.

At top business schools success rate is well over 50% for those who applied and almost everyone gets at least a 2nd round interview.

There are a lot more people who graduated form top American B schools than Australian ones at MBB even in Australian offices.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2015, 00:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 78 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling All AGSM MBA Applicants for Jan 2016 intake

  new topic post reply Update application status  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne