Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
hazay wrote:
chaitu69 wrote:
What is the status after i/v'er submits his feedback. Does it change?
As of now it says "You have been invited to interview: We will contact you within 24 hours with interview scheduling instructions."

The status will change to "interview complete"

A link will appear indicating "decision is available online" you click and a pop-up window will say "thank for you interviewing.... "

Thanks hazay.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
it sucked CBS wasnt at the kaplan fair over the weekend... i couldve asked them about the admission process.
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
i think probably they are dealing with the incoming class now, such as filling up some space in last minute. Too early to consider us. but honestly, every time my phone buzzes, I get nervous thinking my status has changed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Columbia
 Q51  V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
it sucked CBS wasnt at the kaplan fair over the weekend... i couldve asked them about the admission process.

I think you can write a mail to apply@gsb.columbia.edu
It's better than we discuss here. At least, they replied me twice out of three mails.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
hazay wrote:
bakfed wrote:
only 2 essays? Almost makes me feel that CBS cares more about numbers than the person him/herself

Quote:
Essay 2
Please tell us about yourself and your personal interests. The goal of this essay is to get a sense of who you are, rather than what you have achieved professionally. (Recommended 500 word limit)

It s clearly not about numbers.

For the sake of argument, plenty of other schools (excluding UVA) have applications that ask for at least 3 or 4 essays. Take Wharton for example - it gives you an option to "construct a class". Take Booth for example - it asks you for a risk that you took. Take Ross for example - it asks for a time of frustration. Take Tuck for example - it asks for challenges that you overcome. And on top of these essays, there are the obvious ones that include why now, why this school, what your goals are, and some other interesting topics. My point is not to argue that CBS bases its admission solely on numbers, but to me it feels as if CBS cares more about numbers at a first glance. Granted, it's quite hard to determine someone's ability to write, discuss, leadership, and other great qualities in just 2 essays. I'm definitely not 'hating' on CBS because if I were accepted, I'd definitely go. My argument is simply a compare and contrast on the essays to CBS' peer schools.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
hazay wrote:
bakfed wrote:
only 2 essays? Almost makes me feel that CBS cares more about numbers than the person him/herself

Quote:
Essay 2
Please tell us about yourself and your personal interests. The goal of this essay is to get a sense of who you are, rather than what you have achieved professionally. (Recommended 500 word limit)

It s clearly not about numbers.

For the sake of argument, plenty of other schools (excluding UVA) have applications that ask for at least 3 or 4 essays. Take Wharton for example - it gives you an option to "construct a class". Take Booth for example - it asks you for a risk that you took. Take Ross for example - it asks for a time of frustration. Take Tuck for example - it asks for challenges that you overcome. And on top of these essays, there are the obvious ones that include why now, why this school, what your goals are, and some other interesting topics. My point is not to argue that CBS bases its admission solely on numbers, but to me it feels as if CBS cares more about numbers at a first glance. Granted, it's quite hard to determine someone's ability to write, discuss, leadership, and other great qualities in just 2 essays. I'm definitely not 'hating' on CBS because if I were accepted, I'd definitely go. My argument is simply a compare and contrast on the essays to CBS' peer schools.

Seriously, all those essays are pretty much a game. If you can write two essays the way they want, you can do 5 too. They are all the same. We are not trying to win the Pulitzer. All those so-called "creative" and "innovative" essay topics are just a gimmick to make you feel how special a school is. The bottom line is pack your stories into those essays regardless of what the topic is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Col ED, Booth, NYU
 Q50  V42
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
Admittedly, I had a pretty crappy application. Several more days have gone by and I've been putting a lot of time on my other applications. In comparison, my CBS application was ****.

Hi bakfed, sorry about the ding.

Do you feel that if you had perfect execution in your application, you would have been competitive for an admit? I ask only because your profile is a lot better than mine, so seeing your quick ding is making me reevaluate my odds for Columbia acceptance.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bakfed wrote:

I am very happy that CBS doesnt ask 2 additional essays like the Failure and Leadership essays.
They went for a simple "tell me who you are", and so far I have finished the essays for CBS,Tuck and Kellogg ; Essay 2 of CBS is where I could truly express myself and make a difference.

I think most people overplay the importance of essays in the MBA process. And I think that CBS is just honest comparing to schools that required 2000 words of essays.

Post MBA employers are looking at your MBA Brandname, Pre-MBA experience, Undegrad GPA/Major/Reputation. Schools provide them with what they need/want, GMAT is there to assess everyone abilities and essays are simply there to check that you are interesting/or that you can make yourself interesting during the recruitment interview/ have realistic career goals/ have done your research about their school
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey Guys,

I am thrilled to be the one opening the admits season. Admitted to the J-Term by phone call today.

Before you all jump in with stats requests:

Male/33/740/3.5/9 years High Tech, 4 military/decent EC/reapplicant

Summited late May, Interviewed a few days ago.

Best of luck to you all still waiting
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
they called you?? instead an update on your file?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
they called you??

I am sure you re going to buy a spare battery for your phone this evening, just in case :twisted: :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
patsfan wrote:
Hey Guys,

I am thrilled to be the one opening the admits season. Admitted to the J-Term by phone call today.

Before you all jump in with stats requests:

Male/33/740/3.5/9 years High Tech, 4 military/decent EC/reapplicant

Summited late May, Interviewed a few days ago.

Best of luck to you all still waiting

Congratulations!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Kellogg, Columbia, Haas, Tuck
 Q49  V42
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Private Equity
WE 3: Consulting for Portfolio Company
Send PM
Congratulations, Patsfan. I am also applying to the J-Term as a reapplicant. However, my original application submission was to the September entry. Did you do the same? Or did you apply to the J-Term last year?

I ended up waitlisted and ultimately rejected. I feel as though I have a decent shot of acceptance for the J-Term since I do want to pursue entrepreneurship. Is that your plan? Or are you going back into the same field?

Sorry for the list of questions, I just want to see how you explained your rationale for wanting the J-Term and see whether it is more compelling than mine. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross '13
 Q48  V42
Send PM
chaitu69 wrote:
Friends - I just finished my interview and as everyone expressed it's very informal. Mostly revolved around the school fit, contribution to the class and sustainability.

Let me know if you need any more details; More than happy to contribute.

KC

Had a few questions - thanks for posting!

- Can you go over the interview schedule? (ie, where was it, who was it with, how long was the interview, how did it end?)
- Any oddball questions or something you didn't expect to hear?
- At the end, did you have any questions for the interviewer?
- What was the "sustainability" thing about?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
I guess everyone has his/her own opinions on the essay. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross '13
 Q48  V42
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
I guess everyone has his/her own opinions on the essay. :)

I think theyre going lean. Maybe the true test is to see if you can be concise and still get your point across without having to use 4000 words to do it. -shrug-
Retired Moderator
Send PM
StevenFaulkner wrote:
bakfed wrote:
Admittedly, I had a pretty crappy application. Several more days have gone by and I've been putting a lot of time on my other applications. In comparison, my CBS application was ****.

Hi bakfed, sorry about the ding.

Do you feel that if you had perfect execution in your application, you would have been competitive for an admit? I ask only because your profile is a lot better than mine, so seeing your quick ding is making me reevaluate my odds for Columbia acceptance.

It's hard to say. I think if I had executed a perfect application, I would've been a bit more competitive. I can't say that I'm a shoo-in, but I believe I'll have a chance. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about it (plus, your GMAT is 760!!). Just give it your best shot and pray for the best =)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  25   26   27   28   29  ...  198