It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2008, 20:58
solaris1 wrote:
So another first-time applicant received an interview invite last week on Friday, (s)he applied and went under review September 2nd. That should make next week a rather nervous one for me, since my ED application went under review September 2nd, too!

IHateTheGMAT and ryguy - no word yet for you two either, right?

Sorry, I just had to post :)

No word yet. I submitted 8/26. When you look at the BW spreadsheet that person that heard on 9/2 is sort of an anomoly. Almost everyone that's heard so far subitted in the first couple days and most of them just heard in the last week. I think almost everyone from 8/20 on is still waiting to hear except for that guy and maybe 1-2 reapplicants.

e-GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

Schools: NYU Stern '11

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 16:48
As the resident rumormonger on the thread, I thought I'd point out that someone who submitted 9/19 received an interview invite today per BW. So the other 9/02 guy was certainly not an exception. :twisted:

I guess we're all going to get interviews after the committee review and get admission offers within 2 business days of our interviewers submitting feedback! Remember folks, the later the interview invite, the earlier you get your final post-interview decision.

:-D

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
No word yet. I submitted 8/26. When you look at the BW spreadsheet that person that heard on 9/2 is sort of an anomoly.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 17:06
solaris1 wrote:
As the resident rumormonger on the thread, I thought I'd point out that someone who submitted 9/19 received an interview invite today per BW. So the other 9/02 guy was certainly not an exception. :twisted:

Crap. I guess I better get back to work on my Cornell app! :-D

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2008, 10:09
Yesterday I submitted my Columbia ED app. Today I received an email saying

" Dear XXXX,

Your application for the MBA September Early Decision program for Fall of 2009
has changed.

Please log into our website: https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnmore/checkapp
to check your application status."

Now what does it mean by "Your application for the MBA September Early Decision program for Fall of 2009 has changed"?

I though they meant app status, so I checked that, but it is still "received" , no change there.

I am worried what is the change in my app, and who changed what? You people also received same message after a day of submitting? Thanks

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2008, 21:33
filmcity wrote:
Yesterday I submitted my Columbia ED app. Today I received an email saying

" Dear XXXX,

Your application for the MBA September Early Decision program for Fall of 2009
has changed.

Please log into our website: https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnmore/checkapp
to check your application status."

Now what does it mean by "Your application for the MBA September Early Decision program for Fall of 2009 has changed"?

I though they meant app status, so I checked that, but it is still "received" , no change there.

I am worried what is the change in my app, and who changed what? You people also received same message after a day of submitting? Thanks

Process->received->review

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 11:23
Just to keep ya'll in the loop, my interviewer submitted her feedback a few minutes ago. Definitely been a longer process than I expected. For the edification of those keeping track, my timeline has thus far been:

Submitted: 8/10
Under Review: 8/14
Interview Invite: 9/23
Interviewed: 9/25
Complete: 10/1
Decision: ?

Will obviously keep ya'll updated as to any further status changes. Hang in there, everyone!

Young TienyChesney's fall 2009 aspirant blog:

http://mbaveggie.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 11:41
Wow it took your interviewer a little while to submit the info!

My interview is scheduled for this Saturday.... [crossing fingers]

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 12:08
Just got my interview invite today too, folks. I'm chuffed! Will go home and see what's the earliest I can schedule.

Good luck, Tien. Should only be a few more days for you.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 12:54
Solaris & Loathe,

Best of luck on your interviews! Seriously, the interview is fairly straight-forward becuz CBS has a script that they tell the interviewers to read from. That's why the majority of debriefs (from Clear Admit wiki) sound like my own debrief. Just practice those questions and you'll be golden. Godspeed!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 4

Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 14:17
Dinged by CBS yesterday afternoon.

A VERY special thanks to djhouse for helping me submit the best app possible. I definitely feel good that I left it all on the field. Also, many thanks to IHateTheGMAT, terp06, rhyme, sudden, river, kiddderek, kryzak, dosa, avi, pelihu, and anyone else that I forgot to mention who has kept me motivated.

It looks like I'm confined to one of those one-way relationships where I'm madly in love with CBS, but she isn't interested in me.

To those still waiting, good luck! I'm looking forward to living vicariously through the g-clubs' CBS acceptances.

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 4

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 12

Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 14:25
I am sorry to hear that. Good luck with the rest of your apps!

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 12

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 14:30
ryguy904 wrote:

A VERY special thanks to djhouse for helping me submit the best app possible. I definitely feel good that I left it all on the field. Also, many thanks to IHateTheGMAT, terp06, rhyme, sudden, river, kiddderek, kryzak, dosa, avi, pelihu, and anyone else that I forgot to mention who has kept me motivated.

It looks like I'm confined to one of those one-way relationships where I'm madly in love with CBS, but she isn't interested in me.

To those still waiting, good luck! I'm looking forward to living vicariously through the g-clubs' CBS acceptances.

Very, very sorry to hear that man. I really thought you had a great shot.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 15:10
I think Columbia really is missing out on the people who really want to be there. It's sad to see. Well hope you show them by getting into wharton and harvard!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton, Chicago

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 16:06
GoBruins wrote:
I think Columbia really is missing out on the people who really want to be there. It's sad to see. Well hope you show them by getting into wharton and harvard!

With all due respect, why do you say that? Do you know, or know of, people that go/went there that didn't really want to be there?

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 16:34
Ryguy904, so sorry. I know how much you wanted to go to Columbia. You have my best wishes for your other applications.

ryguy904 wrote:

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 17:15
Guys..

Based on your estimates, when do you see someone who went under review on 09/17 getting a ding or interview notification?

Are we running 4 weeks ahead of the under review date?

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 18:37
cougarblue wrote:
GoBruins wrote:

With all due respect, why do you say that? Do you know, or know of, people that go/went there that didn't really want to be there?

I have to admit, out of all of the schools that I have visited so far (Chicago, Kellogg, Columbia, UCLA, Tuck), Columbia did seem to have the least amount of school spirit and the least "connected" student body. I believe that the undergraduate institution also has this feeling - out of all of the Ivies, I have heard that Columbia is the school that fosters the least community spirit and has the most individualistic students.

A lot of students attend Columbia because it's convenient and they have commitments in New York (friends, family, significant other, finance jobs) that they need to keep or stay in tune with. If a student turns down Harvard or Wharton for Columbia, I would bet that 9 out of 10 times, they are a native New Yorker.

Being in New York comes with access to a lot of wonderful things and unparalleled career opportunities in your backyard, but at the same time, Columbia definitely did not rub me as the school to be at if you crave a sense of community and are looking to make lifelong friends from your MBA experience. If Tuck is on one end of the spectrum socially, I would say Columbia is on the other end. A lot of people enjoy the city atmosphere, and an equal amount hate it (for the purposes of academia).

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 20:05
Interesting. I would have expected Harvard and MIT to be much worse.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 21:29
terp06 wrote:
cougarblue wrote:
GoBruins wrote:

I have to admit, out of all of the schools that I have visited so far (Chicago, Kellogg, Columbia, UCLA, Tuck), Columbia did seem to have the least amount of school spirit and the least "connected" student body. I believe that the undergraduate institution also has this feeling - out of all of the Ivies, I have heard that Columbia is the school that fosters the least community spirit and has the most individualistic students.

A lot of students attend Columbia because it's convenient and they have commitments in New York (friends, family, significant other, finance jobs) that they need to keep or stay in tune with. If a student turns down Harvard or Wharton for Columbia, I would bet that 9 out of 10 times, they are a native New Yorker.

Being in New York comes with access to a lot of wonderful things and unparalleled career opportunities in your backyard, but at the same time, Columbia definitely did not rub me as the school to be at if you crave a sense of community and are looking to make lifelong friends from your MBA experience. If Tuck is on one end of the spectrum socially, I would say Columbia is on the other end. A lot of people enjoy the city atmosphere, and an equal amount hate it (for the purposes of academia).

RyGuy, best of luck with your other apps- thanks for being such a positive factor on this thread. Hopefully we'll avenge your ding :)

As for Terp's evaluation above, I generally agree. Most schools in big cities like NY or Chicago are going to have a lot of outside distractions such as families and previous networks of friends. No way of getting around that. Other moderate-sized cities such as Boston feel more homey while tiny towns like Hanover offer nothing but a constant dose of your classmates each and every day. The tradeoffs are up to each applicant. For me personally, the opportunities in networking, culture, entertainment, etcetra far outweigh the community feel factor. And I also think that the community is what you make of it. For instance, I plan on being around campus as much as possible and if admitted, I'm going to live in Morningside Heights or whereever the most CBS students congregate in the Upper West Side. I plan on being active in clubs and activities so I'm not that worried about making lifelong friends. I was worried initially due to the commuter school reputation but I think that each person's personality/effort plays a huge role. I'll definitely be one of those losers who is at every single school-sponsored Thursday happy hour :P

One last point is that I think New York actually provides an advantage in terms of network for those who plan on living in NY post-MBA (like myself). Instead of a transition period where you lose touch with friends and then have to reconnect, your friends from b-school will transition into working life in NY pretty seamlessly. I know that my undergrad school (in DC) had a large number of graduates move to NY but it wasn't that easy to become friends again with many. Maybe that's a problem specific to my situation but sometimes people get new lives and it's tough. I think that going to b-school in NY and then staying put to start working life is actually a big advantage in terms of my network both employment-wise and socially. I'm sure many will disagree but I figured I'd explain my perspective at least.

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2008, 03:31
Exactly what Tien said! And this is what most alumni think to be one of the bigger advantages of going to Columbia (or NYU for that matter).

I mean a "commuter school" reputation is fine, but are you really going to be friends with every single person in your class at Tuck? You'll hang out with the same 25-30 people at every school. Whether they be in New York City or Hanover, NH. Only difference being after graduation, at least half your friends from Tuck will move away for jobs elsewhere in the country. While most from Columbia will still be around a 5 mile radius from you.

I've said this before and I find this "commuter school" shtick to be very overrated.

TienyChesney wrote:
One last point is that I think New York actually provides an advantage in terms of network for those who plan on living in NY post-MBA (like myself). Instead of a transition period where you lose touch with friends and then have to reconnect, your friends from b-school will transition into working life in NY pretty seamlessly.

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2008, 03:31

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  24   25   26   27   28   29   30  ...  59    Next  [ 1168 posts ] 

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap