It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2008, 07:05
It really comes down to what you want. If you want to spend the rest of your life in New York, I can't think of a better school to attend than CBS. If you plan to move around and/or have not made up your mind yet on where you want to settle down, I feel that the CBS alumni network is greatly lacking in the rest of the United States comparative to the other M7 schools (I can't speak for internationally).

HBS, Wharton, and Kellogg seem to have a wide reaching network no matter where you are. Stanford is a little bit California-centric, and its network seems small but very influential. Chicago and MIT - I really don't know much about their networks.

I plan to move right back to California upon graduation, so I feel that CBS may not be the greatest fit or the best experience for my needs.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2008, 07:25
Terp,
Completely agree. I am a New Yorker for life so that certainly colors my glasses differently. But Cali will be a sweet option if I need a change of pace hehe.

Young TienyChesney's fall 2009 aspirant blog:

http://mbaveggie.blogspot.com

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

Schools: NYU Stern '11

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 08:28
Just scheduled my interview for Tuesday at 9am folks.

I did look up all 9 alumni contacts offered to me by the application system, and (I'll admit Tien freaked me out about this) e-mailed the 3 most sympathetic-sounding ones based on some highly investigative LinkedIn/Facebook research.

All 3 responded (naturally), and I just went ahead with the one who could schedule an interview the earliest.

Ugh. *nerves*

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 4

Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 09:38
solaris1 wrote:

Wishing you well with the interview!!! You'll have more than enough time to prepare this weekend. Just try to relax, be yourself, and you'll do just fine.

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 4

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 11:11
haha, me make anyone nervous? no way :P i hope i'm not the spacechica of the gmatclub (reference for those who follow the BW forums too). congrats, Solaris, just rehearse the typical questions and you will crush the interview!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 11:25
LOL re: spacechica. she's nuts! (although would love to find out if she got an interview lol)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 11:31
Gents,

Can anyone guide me how to convert my GPA from the scale of 10.0 to 4.0 for CBS ED Application.

I am an Indian Institute of Technology graduate.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 11:52
Thank you ryguy904 and tien! Your cheerleading is much appreciated. I will of course post a full play by play account of the interview, come Tuesday.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 13:13
solaris1 wrote:

I did look up all 9 alumni contacts offered to me by the application system, and (I'll admit Tien freaked me out about this) e-mailed the 3 most sympathetic-sounding ones based on some highly investigative LinkedIn/Facebook research.

All 3 responded (naturally), and I just went ahead with the one who could schedule an interview the earliest.

Ugh. *nerves*

Good luck with your interview, solaris. But 9am :shock: I guess you really want to get it over with asap.

I've been having so much hard time to move onto next apps. To motivate myself, I attended Stanford GSB info session last night at Credit Suisse building on Madison Avenue. The presentation was really good. Four alums were there to talk about their experience. It was informative and entertaining. It sounds like the school has a lot to offer. If Columbia doesn't want me, I might try Stanford... :lol: I've come this far, I might as well try all the schools I want.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2008, 09:14
Thanks, sng. The 9am bit was deliberate since I specifically "suggested" a morning interview. I did not want to be in a situation where I met with my interviewer over lunch (I'm umm...a clumsy eater) or over a coffee in a Starbucks (I get distracted very easily) later in the afternoon. I don't think those are ideal environments for an interview, so requesting something earlier in the morning at least has a reasonable chance of being in a formal, office environment.

sng wrote:
Good luck with your interview, solaris. But 9am :shock: I guess you really want to get it over with asap.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2008, 10:43
So I had my interview today:

We met at a coffeeshop, and it was super casual. The interviewer told me not to be nervous - that Columbia basically has made its decision when they ask to interview you, and that this is just more reinforcement than anything else.

It was fantastic - definitely more like a conversation than a Q&A. Although -he only asked me two questions that I'd already prepped for - Why Columbia and what other schools are you applying to? Even with the latter question - I just vaguely said that Columbia was my number 1 choice but that I was considering other programs, and he didn't press me further to find out which ones. He didn't ask me the ethical dilemma question - and actually he didn't flat out ask me "why an MBA?" No questions about leadership. I rolled my reasons into other questions he had asked....but we talked for about an hour, and he only really asked me maybe 6 questions - all of which were very specific to my industry, actually. My favorite question he asked that I hadn't prepared for was, "So assume you have your MBA and you are placed back at your company. What are the three major changes you would immediately work on implementing?"
All in all - FANTASTIC interview, at the end he told me he was going to recommend me without any reservations.

So....now we wait!

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2008, 11:37
Nice, loathetheapps.

It's funny, I just finished talking to another alumnus and he too said he's done a few of these interviews and he really felt that they weren't "make or break" as far as admissions decisions were concerned. He said he believed they were much more about poise and articulation, and that in his opinion nearly half of Early Decision applicants interviewed eventually received offers of admission. I remember hearing that somewhere else too, so if nothing else, I'm just happy my chances of getting admitted went up from 16% to 50%! :-D

Your interview certainly sounds like it went really well. Good luck!

loathetheapps wrote:
The interviewer told me not to be nervous - that Columbia basically has made its decision when they ask to interview you, and that this is just more reinforcement than anything else.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2008, 11:56
Anyone have information of what % of applicants CBS interviews and what % of interviewed applicants are ultimately accepted? Do these numbers change between ED and RD?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2008, 12:07
I was under the impression that most people who interview are generally accepted - is that not the case?

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2008, 12:59
From BusinessWeek: (probably 2006 stats)
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/columbia.html

Applications (admitted and denied) to the newest class: 5623

Applicants who were accepted to the most recent class: 16 %

Admitted applicants who enrolled in the newest class: 77 %

Applicants who were re-applicants from prior years: 11 %

Applicants (admitted and denied) who were interviewed: 48 %

Admitted applicants who were interviewed: 99 %

1 in 3 applicants interviewed overall.

Even if 1 in 2 ED applicants interviewed are accepted, we still can't get an approximate number of how many RD applicants interviewed are eventually accepted unless we know what percentage of the class gets filled via ED. And no one really knows that. I would guess perhaps 1 in 4?

Director
Director

Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2008, 15:48
I thought closer to 1/3 or 40% of the class was from ED commitments, but that may be a bit high there. So overall it seems 1/3 who are interviewed get accepted, maybe a bit higher for ED and lower for RD? Not sure there.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2008, 20:16
sonibubu wrote:
I thought closer to 1/3 or 40% of the class was from ED commitments, but that may be a bit high there. So overall it seems 1/3 who are interviewed get accepted, maybe a bit higher for ED and lower for RD? Not sure there.

The numbers are elusive. I've always operated under the assumption (and I read this in a CBS thread from BusinessWeek last year) that approx 40% of applicants get interviewed. Since the acceptance rate was 16% then, it means only 40% of those interviewed actually got accepted. However, since then I have seen a mix of numbers, some presented by the adcom themselves. For example, at my local Columbia Info Reception, someone asked about the interview rate and the adcom said she wasn't sure of the exact number but she believed it to be a little less than 50%. I think anywhere from 33% to 50% receiving interviews is plausible.

Unfortunately, the adcom has never released breakdowns for ED and RD percentages. The adcom has been asked "how much of the class is taken from the ED pool?" many times and they always answer "we don't keep statistics on this but we can tell you it's less than half." My personal guess is that it means around 45% of the class is filled from the ED stack. Columbia has a crazy high yield of 77% which places it third after HBS and Stanford and even before Wharton (I think). I think they can only achieve this by taking a high number of ED applicants. The fact that they won't reveal the number yet they say it's less than half leads me to believe it's in the high 40's. Just my hunch :)

And BTW, congratulations to Loathe on her smashing success of an interview!! Hopefully your interviewer submits his/her feedback quickly and we can all rejoice simultaneously soon :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2008, 08:06
Tieny did your application status change when your interviewer submitted her information? Mine hasn't but I think my interviewer already submitted his - he wrote to me within 5 hrs of our meeting to give me a summary of what he wrote. lol =0)

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2008, 09:59
loathetheapps wrote:
Tieny did your application status change when your interviewer submitted her information? Mine hasn't but I think my interviewer already submitted his - he wrote to me within 5 hrs of our meeting to give me a summary of what he wrote. lol =0)

Hey Loathey :P Yes, I received the same "status change" email when my interviewer submitted her feedback. When I logged into the Columbia website, it actually said "Thank you for interviewing. We have received your feedback from the interivewer..." SOOO your interviewer probably didn't submit yet even though he started writing it. Maybe he was just taking notes so he wouldn't forget later? I would call the Adcom after 7-10 days though. I asked them myself how long I should wait and they said that I don't need to remind the interviewer OR the adcom because the adcom themselves has a person who diligently tracks all the interviewers to ensure that feedback is received in a timely manner. Sooo... do with that info what you may :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 05:56
TienyChesney wrote:
loathetheapps wrote:

Hey Loathey :P Yes, I received the same "status change" email when my interviewer submitted her feedback. When I logged into the Columbia website, it actually said "Thank you for interviewing. We have received your feedback from the interivewer..." SOOO your interviewer probably didn't submit yet even though he started writing it. Maybe he was just taking notes so he wouldn't forget later? I would call the Adcom after 7-10 days though. I asked them myself how long I should wait and they said that I don't need to remind the interviewer OR the adcom because the adcom themselves has a person who diligently tracks all the interviewers to ensure that feedback is received in a timely manner. Sooo... do with that info what you may :)

Haha I like Loathey! Damn it then he hasn't submitted my info yet! =( lol I just wish I knew my fate before Kellogg's deadline... :-/

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2008, 05:56

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  25   26   27   28   29   30   31  ...  59    Next  [ 1168 posts ] 

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap