Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 17:38 It is currently 17 May 2024, 17:38
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting/Finance
Schools:Simon '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
VP
VP
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
Wait, so what do you mean your application went "complete?" Does your status change? And I don't think most interviewers respond to "thank you" notes.

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
...the heck! Mine still says "Interview Scheduled."

Hope you got your thank you note in on time.

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
One last thing, my app is already complete. She submitted my writeup in 1 day I guess. Not sure how to interpret that.

Me too! I sent it that night so she would have got it first thing the next morning. My guess is she saw it before she submitted feedback but I'm not sure. She never replied to my thank you note. What's your guys hit rate on response to thank yous? I'm 2-3 now, but the other 2 were students and I suspect they are more likely to take the time to respond to a thank you note.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
The status changed on the website from "interview scheduled" to "complete application"
VP
VP
Uh-oh. I had been waiting for something to obsess over, and I guess I've found it now!

cereal255 wrote:
The status changed on the website from "interview scheduled" to "complete application"
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Eh, there are a million reasons that it could be taking longer... maybe it's just a slow admissions rep. Maybe you and raabenb have the same rep and that's why it's taking longer for you guys. Or maybe your interviewers want to submit a whole bunch after comparing you guys to others they interviewed... it's all a big annoying mysterious process that will thankfully be over soon. (at least for this year)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Yep, mine still says "interview scheduled" even though I interviewed 11/3.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Schools:Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Send PM
cereal255 wrote:
it's all a big annoying mysterious process that will thankfully be over soon. (at least for this year)

I don't know about you, but I certainly hope there is no next year to the application process! I'm hoping for one and done.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Oh, I'm just being overly negative.

I also hope there is no next application year for any of us.
VP
VP
Ugh. My interviewer did let slip that my application had not yet undergone a second review (or that's what I heard), so maybe raabenb and I just ended up with a particularly meticulous admissions officer.

cereal255 wrote:
Eh, there are a million reasons that it could be taking longer... maybe it's just a slow admissions rep. Maybe you and raabenb have the same rep and that's why it's taking longer for you guys. Or maybe your interviewers want to submit a whole bunch after comparing you guys to others they interviewed... it's all a big annoying mysterious process that will thankfully be over soon. (at least for this year)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Solaris, my last name starts with B....are you in the same letter range?
VP
VP
Yes! I'm a "D."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Sorry to break your theory guys but I am in the same letter range. I think its just that your interviewers are slower to turn in their feedback. Be happy that you had a nice interviewer that is slow to turn in your interview report rather than a demon with rapid fast turnaround time :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Cereal - I hope your right and its a stress test that I passed.

Boom (and if others would comment on this that would be awesome!) - intersting that you bring up back up plans because about halfway through the interview I said something (not sure what exactly) and she ran with that and said it could lead to a good back up option for me if I don't get into asset management. She said its a back up taken by many students that dont get AM jobs. So, I guess that's a positive right? that she thinks I have a viable option? Of course I showed interest/enthusiasim for the backup option.

A couple other things that really surprised me. She talked down Cornell a lot! She said that Harvard, Wharton, Columbia and Chicago are much better at placing on the buyside (obviously! that's why everyone at cornell was dinged by cbs!) and she said the asset management immersion, student run fund and virtual trading floor were not that helpful in recruiting! Later she more or less said, cornell makes worker bees not CEOs.

One last thing, my app is already complete. She submitted my writeup in 1 day I guess. Not sure how to interpret that.

Well I think you did fare much better than me.... at least your backup plan was considered viable!

My interviewer was off the hook beating down on my backup plan... and when the alumni didn't agree with my backup plan, she was looking for a third back up!

Honestly guys, I don't think about a PLAN C prior to the interview!! do you guys?

Similar to you, the alumni asked "How come you didn't apply to ROSS????" the Alumni seem to like other schools better....so sad....right there and then I thought I was through with the interview...

It was a pretty bad experience, My status is still interview scheduled, I didn't get a reply from thank you note.

I hope everyone else can fare better, good luck to the rest of the board!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Schools:Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Send PM
I posted this last week, but I didn't know if anyone's plans had changed/been solidified. Anyone going to be at Cornell next Monday, Nov 24th? I'll be up for my interview.
VP
VP
This link was posted earlier, but I know there are others (just like me) who will find solace in reading this over and over again until December 17. :)

From Clear Admit, quoting Randall:

Quote:
When your application is complete, it goes to one of two or three groups. The first read is done by either one of my readers (I have two paid readers), one of my professional team at the associate level or higher, or one of my 50 JAG students. JAG stands for Johnson Admissions Group – a select group of second-year students committed to assisting in the recruiting and evaluation of applicants. Many of them will do a first read.

We look for about 22 different variables associated with your application. One of my readers makes a recommendation – either “yes, interview” or “no” or “can’t decide.” After the first read is done it goes on a separate shelf and one of my professional team takes a second read. If they agree and both people who’ve reviewed the application say yes, we send out an invitation to interview. If they can’t agree we take it to committee. Or we deny.

My committee meets twice a week, for anywhere from 30 minutes to eight hours. It’s a group of eight and we will come to a consensus – it is not a vote – as to whether or not to invite to interview or deny. Once there’s a decision the file goes back to the admissions staff, who will contact the student and invite them to interview. The prospective student gets to pick a slot that fits with their schedule. Once the student is interviewed, the interviewer – one of my team – makes a recommendation: don’t recommend, recommend with reservation, recommend, recommend with confidence, or highly recommend.

As a benchmark, highly recommend is maybe 1 in 50 or 60 applicants. That is literally saying to the committee, “This person is an absolute rock star we have to have them.” Recommend with confidence is a student saying, “Yes, I want this person in class with me next year.” Recommend with reservation is “There’s something that doesn’t click or doesn’t sound right to me.” And don’t recommend is “no way, no how, not a chance.”

We usually get a three- to four-page dossier of the interview with a recommendation. The interviewer picks one of the five designations and then it goes to committee and we talk about that student and decide whether or not to make that offer. I want to make it clear that there is no vote – this is not a voting system.

URL: https://blog.clearadmit.com/2008/10/admissions-director-qa-randall-sawyer-of-cornell-universitys-johnson-school-of-business/
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
THE ROUND 2 TEAM (2)
Interview Invites: TBD
-----------------------------------
yellowjacket- submitted 11/17
belfi- submitted 11/17

Wow, only 2 R2 applicants. I thought Cornell would get more love than that based on R1 numbers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 625 [0]
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
This link was posted earlier, but I know there are others (just like me) who will find solace in reading this over and over again until December 17. :)

From Clear Admit, quoting Randall:

Quote:
When your application is complete, it goes to one of two or three groups. The first read is done by either one of my readers (I have two paid readers), one of my professional team at the associate level or higher, or one of my 50 JAG students. JAG stands for Johnson Admissions Group – a select group of second-year students committed to assisting in the recruiting and evaluation of applicants. Many of them will do a first read.

We look for about 22 different variables associated with your application. One of my readers makes a recommendation – either “yes, interview” or “no” or “can’t decide.” After the first read is done it goes on a separate shelf and one of my professional team takes a second read. If they agree and both people who’ve reviewed the application say yes, we send out an invitation to interview. If they can’t agree we take it to committee. Or we deny.

My committee meets twice a week, for anywhere from 30 minutes to eight hours. It’s a group of eight and we will come to a consensus – it is not a vote – as to whether or not to invite to interview or deny. Once there’s a decision the file goes back to the admissions staff, who will contact the student and invite them to interview. The prospective student gets to pick a slot that fits with their schedule. Once the student is interviewed, the interviewer – one of my team – makes a recommendation: don’t recommend, recommend with reservation, recommend, recommend with confidence, or highly recommend.

As a benchmark, highly recommend is maybe 1 in 50 or 60 applicants. That is literally saying to the committee, “This person is an absolute rock star we have to have them.” Recommend with confidence is a student saying, “Yes, I want this person in class with me next year.” Recommend with reservation is “There’s something that doesn’t click or doesn’t sound right to me.” And don’t recommend is “no way, no how, not a chance.”

We usually get a three- to four-page dossier of the interview with a recommendation. The interviewer picks one of the five designations and then it goes to committee and we talk about that student and decide whether or not to make that offer. I want to make it clear that there is no vote – this is not a voting system.

URL: https://blog.clearadmit.com/2008/10/admissions-director-qa-randall-sawyer-of-cornell-universitys-johnson-school-of-business/

so if it's not a voting system, then what is it?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
It probably is something similar to a voting system in that each member of the committee will voice their concerns/praise. I just think he didn't want people to get the image of people raising their hands and defeating candidates based on a 5-4 margin (or however big the committee is) since as he mentioned that is a fairly crass way of doing things. I think he was just trying to imply there is discussion amongst the committee and not just a simple vote of yes or no on each file with no reasoning behind the vote.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  29   30   31   32   33  ...  72