Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]

Originally posted by washingtondc627 on 04 Oct 2011, 11:00.
Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks.

I did more or less the same thing as you, except that I didn't really know how I'd segue into why I want to go to Darden at the end of the essay. Need to look into that some more.

Keep it high level, that's key. My first drafts were chock full of details and way over the word limit. Now it's somewhat more acceptable, though it's still 20-30 words wordier than what it should be in its final form.

Well, back to work....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Apply to participate in Darden's diversity open house!

DISCOVER DARDEN
Thursday and Friday, November 3-4, 2011
Social activities scheduled Thursday and Friday evenings

The Darden School of Business
100 Darden Blvd
Charlottesville, VA 22903

Discover Darden is an open house event designed specifically to attract prospective students in traditionally underrepresented populations as well as those planning to apply via the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management. The event will include a class visit, and presentations by
Admissions, Career Development, Financial Aid and Faculty. There are opportunities for
admissions interviews and social activities with current students and alumni.

For more information and to apply, please access the Discover Darden webpage:
https://www.darden.virginia.edu/web/MBA/ ... er-Darden/

Application deadline: October 21
For questions, contact: saulsk@darden.virgnia.edu
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
Send PM
Guys, anybody have the reccomendation questions for Darden??

In for R1 as well...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Guys,
Are you requesting GMAC to send across your official GMAT score reports to Darden by the R1 deadline?

I found this interesting piece in the FAQs on Darden's website...
"..We do not require official test scores in order to process your application and get it to the committee for review. You may self-report the scores directly into your online application. If offered admission, you will need to send official documents. However, offers of admission are not binding until official scores are received. If discrepancies are found between self-reported and official scores, the offer of admission will be withdrawn."

Unless my interpretation skills are failing me, I guess I don't need to send an official score report until I am offered admission, is that correct?

Thoughts? Suggestions??
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
Guys,
Are you requesting GMAC to send across your official GMAT score reports to Darden by the R1 deadline?

I found this interesting piece in the FAQs on Darden's website...
"..We do not require official test scores in order to process your application and get it to the committee for review. You may self-report the scores directly into your online application. If offered admission, you will need to send official documents. However, offers of admission are not binding until official scores are received. If discrepancies are found between self-reported and official scores, the offer of admission will be withdrawn."

Unless my interpretation skills are failing me, I guess I don't need to send an official score report until I am offered admission, is that correct?

Thoughts? Suggestions??

Your interpretation is correct. You do not need to send the official one right now. Simply self-report your score on the Simplicity website and that's fine. When Darden does decide to extend an offer to you, you can then send the official GMAT score by requesting an official score report sent to Darden (should you want to matriculate).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
scorpionz wrote:
Guys,

Your interpretation is correct. You do not need to send the official one right now. Simply self-report your score on the Simplicity website and that's fine. When Darden does decide to extend an offer to you, you can then send the official GMAT score by requesting an official score report sent to Darden (should you want to matriculate).

Thanks bakfed!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
@bakfed (and others who could offer input/advice)

I didn't get too involved into ECs while *in* college (apart from the student government), so that section of the application looks embarrassingly blank ("List your extracurricular activities while in college, including any positions held and honors or awards received."). However, I did take 1+ years off to go overseas and get down and dirty in social enterprise, full-time. Would this somehow "compensate" for the lack of ECs in college?

Also, I wasn't sure if this was answered above, but does clicking on "Save" automatically send out the recommendation links to my supervisors? There is no indication that the recommendation questions have been sent to them.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
SOMguy wrote:
@bakfed (and others who could offer input/advice)

I didn't get too involved into ECs while *in* college (apart from the student government), so that section of the application looks embarrassingly blank ("List your extracurricular activities while in college, including any positions held and honors or awards received."). However, I did take 1+ years off to go overseas and get down and dirty in social enterprise, full-time. Would this somehow "compensate" for the lack of ECs in college?

Also, I wasn't sure if this was answered above, but does clicking on "Save" automatically send out the recommendation links to my supervisors? There is no indication that the recommendation questions have been sent to them.

I think that's a great question and one that I cannot answer easily; therefore, I won't try. But my opinion is that taking a year off from college is a much greater ordeal than doing some EC for 2 hours a week. So to say that it's simply an extracurricular activity seems to be a misnomer; however, I don't know the reasoning behind what you did and exactly what you did (and even if I do know), I don't know if EC is the best place for it. I would call AdCom and actually ask this question. Given what you said, I already have a couple of questions in my mind - why did you take a year off? why did you choose to do what you did? did this affect your grade? did this help you in any way, shape, or form (i.e. leadership ability)? So again, if you put it in the EC section, I don't know if you'll be able to concisely and tersely explain these.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Send PM
Excellent thread guys..I was planning to submit in R2 but know I feel like I can make up in R1...Fingers crossed...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Consulting
Schools:UNC Kenan Flagler, Tepper, McCombs, Rotman
 Q50  V40
WE 1: IT Consulting
Send PM
in the essay -- is it better to focus on one leadership experience or multiple ? what do u think?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
mba22 wrote:
in the essay -- is it better to focus on one leadership experience or multiple ? what do u think?

I think this is a classic "it depends" question. If you think that you have one leadership experience that will overshadow all others, perhaps just this one will work. If you have several dips in several differnet organizations, then it's probably be good to talk about multiple. However, know that the keypoint is to get your point across. What I mean is you don't know want to start listing 7 different leadership experiences without doing some sort of "weaving". It's better to have one that is coherent than it is to have 7 scattered points.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Lots of reasons as to why I did it (in hindsight, it was an incredible experience, leadership and everything-wise), but it's not easy trying to weave it all into the essay. I'm just a little worried that given the essay constraints + lack of college ECs, my application might look relatively weak, and not accurately depict what I've gone through. As you rightly said, being succinct is going to be tough, especially with Darden. Sigh.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
SOMguy wrote:
Lots of reasons as to why I did it (in hindsight, it was an incredible experience, leadership and everything-wise), but it's not easy trying to weave it all into the essay. I'm just a little worried that given the essay constraints + lack of college ECs, my application might look relatively weak, and not accurately depict what I've gone through. As you rightly said, being succinct is going to be tough, especially with Darden. Sigh.

I really wouldn't stress out about this. Just do what you can and if anything, pick a couple out of your past experience and really hone in on those. Choose ones that can be indicative of your ability and just go with it. Afterall, a lot of people have a lot of interesting things they can share but are limited to the space given to you. Choose wisely and just go for it, then just let the chips fall where they fall.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys, nobody has the rec questions??? I was wondering so I could do some bullet points for my reccomenders... Thanks in advance if anyone can help!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
mpg2011 wrote:
Guys, nobody has the rec questions??? I was wondering so I could do some bullet points for my reccomenders... Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Just add yourself as a recommender for now. log into the recommendation system and pull out the information yourself. I was actually told to do this by an AD at another school just for the app in general so I understood what was being asked by my recommenders.

Some apps will let you have more then the required number of recommeders, so you can leave yourself there or just remove it once you are done.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
mpg2011 wrote:

Just add yourself as a recommender for now. log into the recommendation system and pull out the information yourself. I was actually told to do this by an AD at another school just for the app in general so I understood what was being asked by my recommenders.

Some apps will let you have more then the required number of recommeders, so you can leave yourself there or just remove it once you are done.

Are you sure that's ok? What if they don't like it?

Anybody else has input??
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts