Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 05:59 It is currently 13 May 2024, 05:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Fuqua 2013 (admitted w/ $)
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:<strong>Ross '13</strong>
 Q46  V40
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden 2013
WE 1: IT Consulting
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
To call Fuqua the safety school for many top tier applicants is a gross generalization. While undoubtedly true for some, I think it takes too much away from the school to make such a blanket statement. I know of a number of folks who are seriously considering Fuqua over offers from higher ranked programs.

I do, however, believe that the reduced application fees charged by Fuqua are deliberately designed to boost their application numbers and thus, lower the acceptance rate at Fuqua. I suspect that those additional applicants are drawn both from those whose sights are set on H/W/S and those considering lower ranked programs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
MBAJam wrote:
VictoryMBA wrote:
Quite frankly, I think Duke is a "safety" school for a lot of top tier applicants. Just in terms of name recognition, I think the general "Duke" brand holds the most weight among its peers like UVA, UMich, and UCLA. And up until recently they had a 30%+ acceptance rate. It's an easy choice for someone who wants to have a safety school but doesn't want to do much research. None of this was the case with me, but I can imagine some people feeling this way.

Posted from my mobile device

I agree with this.

Also, Fuqua waives the application fee if you list someone you know in the program on your application. It is also only like $50 if you attend an info session or visit. Certainly there's a group of qualified applicants that apply b/c they can re-purpose their essays quickly enough to throw in an extra school at minimal/no cost. A good # of those people will be accepted and go elsewhere.

My guess is Fuqua actively tries to manipulate the total # of applicants as much as they can to lower their acceptance rate. A slight ding on the yield downstream is probably worth it, as it is still in line w/peer schools.

The difference between $50 and $200 is minimal considering the amount of time required to put together a competitive application. I don't think many people apply to a school just because the fees are lower, regardless of how much essay material can be recycled. There is that whole essay "Why Duke?" which will take more than 5-6 hours to write. Add to that two additional letters to ask your recommenders for and a likely $600 trip to Durham for the interview...

Originally posted by mreevit on 22 Mar 2011, 11:56.
Last edited by mreevit on 22 Mar 2011, 11:59, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
Quite frankly, I think Duke is a "safety" school for a lot of top tier applicants. Just in terms of name recognition, I think the general "Duke" brand holds the most weight among its peers like UVA, UMich, and UCLA. And up until recently they had a 30%+ acceptance rate. It's an easy choice for someone who wants to have a safety school but doesn't want to do much research. None of this was the case with me, but I can imagine some people feeling this way.

Agree... But, Kellogg/UChicago could be called safety schools for people that are applying to HSW.

Conversely, Duke could be a dream school for people applying to Notre Dame, USC, Georgetown and the like.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
mreevit wrote:
VictoryMBA wrote:

Agree... But, Kellogg/UChicago could be called safety schools for people that are applying to HSW.

Conversely, Duke could be a dream school for people applying to Notre Dame, USC, Georgetown and the like.

I agree with you both in certain respects. However, after looking at these threads for the first time in a few months, nobody really mentions how important a school choice is as it relates to their personal lives. Sure, husbands and wives/boyfriends and girlfriends, might be willing to put their lives on hold for a few years so their significant other can get an MBA and advance their career. However, there are also many folks that must make a school decision based on their family needs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone know if Fuqua Admissions will call the admitted students? I am freaking out waiting for Duke decision...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Marina1983K wrote:
Does anyone know if Fuqua Admissions will call the admitted students? I am freaking out waiting for Duke decision...

They don't call. All decisions are posted and made available online on the published decision date. For r2 applicants, that means this Friday.

In the past (i.e. last year or the year before), Duke has released decisions earlier in the week, but those appear to be outlier cases where the early release followed a breakdown in Duke's online system.

In R1, from what I recall, our decisions were posted on the published date, sometime after noon EST.

No need to freak out. The decision is completely out of your hands at this point. What will be, will be. Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Is anyone surprised by the huge admit rate gap between Duke and NYU/Yale? Supposedly only one spot off from the two schools according to US News but psychologically it seems more significant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
I agree with you both in certain respects. However, after looking at these threads for the first time in a few months, nobody really mentions how important a school choice is as it relates to their personal lives. Sure, husbands and wives/boyfriends and girlfriends, might be willing to put their lives on hold for a few years so their significant other can get an MBA and advance their career. However, there are also many folks that must make a school decision based on their family needs.

Agreed...I turned down my offer to Fuqua and will be attending Cornell because my wife is in med school in upstate NY. The difference between Duke and Cornell isn't worth my marriage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
I'd agree with a lot of the concerns listed above about those of us who are bringing along a sidekick (or two), but I'd point out that it's not just about location. If this is a family affair, then money and perceived value matter too. If you think that you can spend $100K plus $200K in opportunity cost in a family without justifying the cost (and really the risk), then you're probably from a pretty wealthy family.

Fuqua is not a great option location-wise, in my opinion. Durham is a sleepy college town with next to no employment options any closer than Charlotte, which is really too far away for most people. That said, it's still a great option if the school matches up well with your career goals, as it does in my case. Putting $300K on the line, hoping that Fuqua is all it's cracked up to be is a scary concept for a family, but it's a bet I'm willing to make.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jsmith54 wrote:
I'd agree with a lot of the concerns listed above about those of us who are bringing along a sidekick (or two), but I'd point out that it's not just about location. If this is a family affair, then money and perceived value matter too. If you think that you can spend $100K plus $200K in opportunity cost in a family without justifying the cost (and really the risk), then you're probably from a pretty wealthy family.

Fuqua is not a great option location-wise, in my opinion. Durham is a sleepy college town with next to no employment options any closer than Charlotte, which is really too far away for most people. That said, it's still a great option if the school matches up well with your career goals, as it does in my case. Putting $300K on the line, hoping that Fuqua is all it's cracked up to be is a scary concept for a family, but it's a bet I'm willing to make.

I completely agree about opportunity costs. When I think about moving with my wife to Durham, both of us giving up our jobs and paying my tuition, in this market, without knowing what the job market will look like in 2013...it begins to feel like a completely irrational decision.

I disagree about Durham not being a good location. It all depends on what your spouse does for a living. The Research Triangle is a fantastic place especially for anyone who works in tech, health care or education. Even if your spouse doesn't work in one of those fields, Durham has a population of about 240,000, Raleigh a population north of 400,000 and the greater research triangle area a population above 1.5 million. That isn't New York City, but it isn't exactly Mayberry either. Unless your spouse works in a niche field, chances are he/she will be able to find work in their field.

Durham has found its way onto several "best" lists, including best cities for business and best places to retire. Durham is also home to Branford Marsalis, Christopher "Play" Martin (of Kid and Play "fame") and...(drum roll)...Clay Aiken. LOL.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
I think it's worth mentioning population density. Raleigh has 400k people over 143 sq mi. of land. NYC has 8.4m over 305 sq mi. of land. You're right, it's def. not New York City.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Stele wrote:
I think it's worth mentioning population density. Raleigh has 400k people over 143 sq mi. of land. NYC has 8.4m over 305 sq mi. of land. You're right, it's def. not New York City.

Why is it worth mentioning population density?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
guess he's saying the crowdier, the merrier.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Stele wrote:
Is anyone surprised by the huge admit rate gap between Duke and NYU/Yale? Supposedly only one spot off from the two schools according to US News but psychologically it seems more significant.

What is the gap between Duke and Yale, 7 or 8%? I'm not sure how "huge" I'd call that. If we're going to parse numbers, is anyone else surprised that Yale SOM has a yield rate around 45%? Does that mean that Yale, not Duke, is the backup school for applicants looking for an elite program? Is anyone else surprised that Yale has an endowment reportedly worth in excess of $400,000,000.00 and they haven't managed to convert that into a top five ranking? Or how about the fact that Yale isn't ranked nearly as high in other rankings as it is in the U.S. News rankings?

How about the fact that Duke is ranked higher than Harvard and other supposedly superior b-schools in some sub-field rankings? Seriously, we could go round and round trying to quantify what is largely a subjective choice. At the end of the day, what matters most is whether school A is the right fit (for personal, financial, career development, etc. reasons) for you.

Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear from Fuqua. I hope you hear good news this Friday.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ATLapplicant wrote:
Stele wrote:

What is the gap between Duke and Yale, 7 or 8%? I'm not sure how "huge" I'd call that. If we're going to parse numbers, is anyone else surprised that Yale SOM has a yield rate around 45%? Does that mean that Yale, not Duke, is the backup school for applicants looking for an elite program? Is anyone else surprised that Yale has an endowment reportedly worth in excess of $400,000,000.00 and they haven't managed to convert that into a top five ranking? Or how about the fact that Yale isn't ranked nearly as high in other rankings as it is in the U.S. News rankings?

How about the fact that Duke is ranked higher than Harvard and other supposedly superior b-schools in some sub-field rankings? Seriously, we could go round and round trying to quantify what is largely a subjective choice. At the end of the day, what matters most is whether school A is the right fit (for personal, financial, career development, etc. reasons) for you.

Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear from Fuqua. I hope you hear good news this Friday.

Completely agree.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Consultant
Send PM
ATLapplicant wrote:
Stele wrote:

While I agree with the point made here, I think the endowment figure is off. I believe it's more around the ballpark of $16 billion (16,000,000,000). I know this figure because I just had a similar conversation with a friend of mine :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
ATLapplicant wrote:
Other top b-schools have similar yield rates. Tuck's yield is around 50% as well.

I can't imagine location is a draw for folks to attend Michigan over Duke. While I've heard Ann Arbor is a solid little town, the Research Triangle probably offers as much if not more in terms of quality of life and accessibility (by car) to prospective recruiters. If you want to work in the NE, you'd need to catch a flight regardless. I haven't looked at Ross enough to know why their yield rate might be higher. Based on pure speculation, I'd assume it is due to one of the following: (a) self-selection of their applicants (i.e. mid-Westerners wanting to stay in a mid-Western environment; or Michigan being the reach school for many of their applicants, whereas Duke might be the fall back for others - though I think that is a dubious explanation); or (b) Ross may be more generous with financial aid/scholarships than is Fuqua.

I'm confident that neither being in Michigan nor proximity to Detroit is the draw for most people.

I turned chose Ross over Duke primarily because of the location. Maybe that's just me and I had other reasons, but I really couldn't envision enjoying living there and felt I would be a bit secluded, the school itself seemed great though, so it was a difficult decision for sure. Then again, I will probably end up in Chicago, so I guess I'm just more of a city person in general
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  95   96   97   98   99  ...  133   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts