Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 02:03 It is currently 21 May 2024, 02:03
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Yale '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:Anderson 2011
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Yale SOM, Vanderbilt
 Q41  V44 GMAT 2: 720  Q44  V45
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 3 years, Alternative Investments
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Sloan, Tuck, Johnson, Yale SOM, Stern
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink]
SpY0o2 wrote:
R1 waitlisted candidate here. I didn't get any updates to my profile on the site. Any other R1 waitlisted candidates in the same boat?

Same, nothing yet.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:YALE SOM
Send PM
DPTpe wrote:
For those WL'd and looking for feedback on their applications, should we be emailing the standard admissions email address or the one specifically provided in the WL faq?

I was waitlisted in R1, and the contact in the WL FAQ was very nice and answered back quite quickly. It is not specifically in the FAQ but I would strongly suggest submitting new recommendation letters, so they can see that your intentions are clear, and it also shows that your recommenders know that you are WLd but they want to support your candidacy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is anyone else choosing between SOM and a New York City school (Stern or Columbia)?

I want to do non-profit management, SOM makes so much sense, I'm just struggling to come to terms with the move to New Haven. Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:R2: Stern, Yale SOM, Wharton, Columbia, Tuck
GPA: 3.49
WE 1: 3+ Engineer
Send PM
mbabound202 wrote:
Is anyone else choosing between SOM and a New York City school (Stern or Columbia)?

I want to do non-profit management, SOM makes so much sense, I'm just struggling to come to terms with the move to New Haven. Thoughts?

I'm in the exact situation that you described (Yale SOM vs. Stern). I feel a little funny saying it on the Yale forum, but I am leaning towards Stern right now, but my situation is quite a bit different from yours. I am a career switcher (engineering to investment management) and Stern's finance reputation coupled with its location is hard to ignore. However, the feel I had when I interviewed at Yale was better than any other school I visited. Part of this may be that the campus was very similar to my undergrad and I'm not accustomed to city life. FWIW, if I was going for non-profit management, Yale would be a no brainer for me.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
mbabound202 wrote:

If you stay in NY you will get some non-profit management exposure at either school. The move wouldn't be enough to compensate for a few more non-profit management courses.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Yale School of Management '13
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 7 years in Software Development
Send PM
@All
If you are deciding between Darden and Yale SOM, could you share your thoughts here: darden-vs-yale-som-110560.html#p887807
Intern
Intern
Schools:LSE Class of 2013! :D
Send PM
just got an update today by email. still waitlisted :"(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
For the Roll Call / record keeping...and future applicants reading old forums like I did:

Ding - 03/25/11

Me: 680 GMAT/ Domestic / 3.4 GPA Supply Chain / 10Yrs WE in Semiconductors / Entrepreneurship and lots of Urban Planning related non-profit experience on the side.

I sat on the fence for a long time reviewing options for schools and even degrees. What convinced me to go for an MBA as opposed to other degrees was the Yale SOM program. I'm seeking to career transition into the space of public enterprise management and public-private-partnerships and SOM seemed like an ideal fit. I'm a skeptical kind of guy and not really one to drink-the-kool-aid, but I found myself mixing it for others, singing this school's praises for understanding the intersection of private enterprise and public sector operations and policy. Even the structure of the curriculum spoke to more of the things that I have come to value in my work experience: skills that make you successful involve problem framing, pattern recognition, context awareness and emotional intelligence in relationship building. More than other programs I visited, these seemed to be recognized and touched upon by the school.

While I've been expecting the ding for about a month now, the lead up hasn't dulled the impact at all. It's humbling to have not received even an interview request. I put my heart and soul into the application and re-edited it down so many times for concision that it amazes me still how much time I spent on this one application. I had the choice (as we all did I suppose) of whether I wanted to go with a consultant and I chose not to, preferring to be judged on my own voice. I wrote about some un-business things in my essays that are true to who I am and the career I want to transition into and maybe a consultant would have steered me clear of that because I have some pretty strong work experience, too.

Perhaps retaking the GMAT would have been wise, too. I actually enjoyed studying for the GMAT (truthfully!)...but struggled with the time restriction on the test itself and ended up putting down random answers for the last three questions in the quant section because of time. I didn't do bad and was within the 80% range (or at least I was last year) and decided my time would be better spent tackling other tasks that would look good on the application than by retaking it. If I were to do it all over again...I'd probably reconsider that decision. The GMAT matters probably more than I would like it to. In contrast, there is precious little space on the application to enter in details on the umpteen projects or committees or boards that I work on outside of work, but the GMAT score is very visible and the difference between one or two questions is amplified in importance. The little space there is to write about extracurriculars doesn't fully capture what all went into those efforts, sadly.

Anyway...while humbled...I'm in no way bitter. I'm looking forward to an MBA and a future career, just at a different institution, in large part because of Yale. I have SOM to thank for that inspiration.

I really feel for the people who have 7 or 8 dings...I can't imagine what that is like. I'm having a hard time going back to my recommenders today and telling them I didn't make it into Yale after building it up so much and preparing them that I would be leaving town.

For those that did make it in...my sincere congratulations. Make the most of it!

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Me too. The wait continues, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

drizall wrote:
just got an update today by email. still waitlisted :"(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Duke!! (CBS-in, Texas-in, Yale-WL, Haas-R)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm not giving up hope. Took the weekend to lick my wounds, but I'm committed to Yale. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@miggs: nice read :D good luck on ur future endeavours!

well.. at least we're not on a sinking ship.. even though it hasn't landed, this ship is still floating, for sure. hehehe.

maybe they took the weekend to compose continuing waitlisters letter? anyone contacted the admissions office for advice on what to do next and when the last date the waitlist will end? at this point, i think they are basically waiting on people who are going to not enroll at Yale SOM and put us as backups.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Can someone please let me know when the round 2 deposit deadline is? I would like to strategize my waitlist updates and letters. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
fourwind wrote:
Can someone please let me know when the round 2 deposit deadline is? I would like to strategize my waitlist updates and letters. Thanks!

some people pay deposits and still not enroll because they pay to several places, since it may not be a significant amount to them ($500)..so the waitlist may extend until August, don't know exact date, though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
fourwind wrote:

April 29. Admitted students weekend is April 15-16.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
drizall wrote:
fourwind wrote:

some people pay deposits and still not enroll because they pay to several places, since it may not be a significant amount to them ($500)..so the waitlist may extend until August, don't know exact date, though.

FYI $1,500 here, so quite significant :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
oops! sorry, my bad! $500 may be another school i got mixed up with.

Thanks! $1500 is significant!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Make sure you guys contact the wait list manager. Afterwards, make sure your update letter is not another esaay. Simply communicate your interest, reclarify your goal, add significant update, etc

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  88   89   90   91   92  ...  101   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts