It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 22:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 0

Evening & Weekend vs. Executive MBA Programs: How to Choose, Part I [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 15:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
FROM The Berkeley EWMBA Blog: Evening & Weekend vs. Executive MBA Programs: How to Choose, Part I
We know potential b-school candidates are busy – many already have families or have launched demanding careers. That’s why we offer several paths to the degree, including two part-time MBA programs.

The Evening & Weekend program is a three-year, six-semester program, while our Executive MBA programmeets about every three weeks from Thursday through Saturday over 19 months. Both offer the same rich resources and result in the same Berkeley MBA degree.

But which program is right for you? In this two-part series, we spoke with two couples in which each partner chose a different part-time program at Berkeley-Haas. 

Sunnyvale-based Manish Mukherjee and Nupur Thakur have been married 14 years and have two daughters, 11 and 8. Manish is studying in the Evening & Weekend program, while Nupur just completed the Executive Program—and now the couple is working on a startup.

Why did you both decide to get your degrees at the same time?

He said: We wanted to finish our degrees before our older child goes to middle school. Teens go through so many changes – we wanted to be more available and attentive when that happens.

She said:  We knew if we were to get our degrees consecutively, it would take us nearly five years. We wanted to expedite that.

What are/were you each doing professionally while studying at Berkeley?

She said: I’m Director of Product Management at Juniper Networks’ services business. In addition, I’m on the board of Silicon Valley Product Management Association and a Berkeley Board Fellow for Girls Inc. of Island City.

He said:  I’m a Senior Manager of Engineering at Cisco Systems in a $1.6B annual product, leading 25 engineers worldwide. Nupur and I are also working on a start-up with a co-founder from Berkeley Engineering. Grafty Inc. heightens organization, search, and sharing functions for images and videos.

How did you decide between the Executive and the Evening & Weekend MBA programs?

He said:  We both considered our individual needs, -- what made sense as a couple was to do different programs. And from a scheduling perspective, it worked out well. I’m gone every Saturday, then every three weeks she’s gone for three days.

She said:  Having worked in a functional area within business and management, I really wanted experiential training along with the academic experience. The EMBA residential format and immersion weeks were both huge factors in my decision.

He said: I like my summers off, and managing the balance between work and education was key. I wanted to go deeper into entrepreneurship, and spend more time in the university environment.

She said:  For me it was not just a choice of which program, but also having the full campus ecosystem and the alumni network.

How long will you each be in your program?

She said:  Manish started in May 2012 and will graduate in May 2015. I started in May 2013 and graduated in December 2014. There’s a running joke among our classmates that I started second but finished first.

He said:  Yeah, nice guys finish last! It’s a relay race we’ve run very strategically.

What are the challenges of being a two-student household? What are the advantages?

He said:  Time. That was the major thing. It would have been impossible without strong family support.

She said: And yet we had more time together to discuss and share things, to discover the campus and attend events.

He said: We’ve been so involved not just in the work, but also in the fun. We were on a similar journey, which made it easier.

To take a closer look at these two programs, check out our Compare and Contrast blog post.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Premium Member
Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2015, 18:21
abax wrote:
A few questions:

1) Once accepted should I expect an admission packet in the mail or is it all done online?
2) When should one expect to get verified by Kroll?

Thanks!

1) You'll get a phone call, the status will get updated online, and a week or two later there will be a big packet that shows up in the mail.

2) Once you get admitted, they'll send an email with details on the kroll verification.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2015, 19:54
packet82 wrote:
abax wrote:
A few questions:

1) Once accepted should I expect an admission packet in the mail or is it all done online?
2) When should one expect to get verified by Kroll?

Thanks!

1) You'll get a phone call, the status will get updated online, and a week or two later there will be a big packet that shows up in the mail.

2) Once you get admitted, they'll send an email with details on the kroll verification.

Big packet? I got a letter. Should I have received something else?

Posted from my mobile device

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.83
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2015, 19:11
Hey guys,

I read in last year posts that it's a good sign if a current student or somebody from admissions at Haas contacts you regarding any questions. I was just wondering do the people from Haas contact you if you had any questions that your interviewer could not answer, or they just contact you in general? Does Haas admissions contact back everybody who had a question unanswered by the interviewer?

Thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Part-Time MBA ROI: Positioned for a Move to Marketing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2015, 12:01
FROM The Berkeley EWMBA Blog: Part-Time MBA ROI: Positioned for a Move to Marketing
Change doesn’t have to be in leaps and bounds. Smaller steps toward career advancement can provide the space to prove yourself. To take your pulse. Lauren Kalette, MBA 15, started her Evening & Weekend MBA studies with the dream of moving from graphic design at Shutterfly into a marketing position—and she is moving toward that MBA ROI. 

“I started talking with the CMO and other director-level people in Marketing about my plans and the courses I was taking,” says Lauren. “That’s something I wouldn’t have done before. My Haas professors and classmates boosted my confidence in my ability to relate with colleagues on that senior level.”

It’s exciting to be identifying and using data points that will help Shutterfly make informed decisions.”

Those conversations led to Lauren being assigned her first a marketing research project on the job. “It’s exciting,“ she says, “to be identifying and using data points that will help Shutterfly make informed decisions.”

A part-time mba course load heavy on marketing electives—Strategic Brand Management, Marketing Research, and Designing & Marketing New Products—prepared her for that project with new insights and an expanded skill set. Haas@Work gave her the opportunity to use her new skills and to be part of a consulting team on a real-world marketing project for Blackhawk Technology related to customer retention.

Lauren is also using her business strategy and leadership skills in her new role of Design Manager. “I’m definitely a hands-on manager. Classes like Negotiations and Power & Politics taught me about the importance of managing your interactions with people, understanding the trade-offs, and seeing the other person’s perspective.”

Lauren continues to expand her own perspectives, and her career prospects. Treks with the Design Innovation & Strategy and Marketing clubs took her inside companies like Frog Design and Eventbrite. She’s also exploring the field of design and innovation consulting. For now, she taking her career forward one step at a time, eager to see what is around the next corner. 

Last year 42 percent of grads from our Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program advanced in their careers, and 42  percent successfully made career changes. (You can read about a career switch in Desirae Early's story of a move to management consulting.)

We invite you to explore these and more reasons to choose Berkeley-Haas. 

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 51

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2015, 17:12
binaryuser01 wrote:
dransa wrote:
Hi Guys,
Just wondering if any of the round 2 applicants seeing their application status changed. I was interviewed on 4th feb and have not seen any change in application status till now.

Nope. Nothing since the interview. It just says "file under review". I think we won't know anything until the decision date. I have heard and read in past forums that if a current students contacts you(cold call), it is a good sign.

My math status has changed to complete. Did any of you receive a call from current student yet ?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Other (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 13:14
Just got called for a second interview (in the same round). Anyone have this happen? I've heard about this in a waitlist situation but not in the same round.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Current Student

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.83
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 13:24
mung35 wrote:
Just got called for a second interview (in the same round). Anyone have this happen? I've heard about this in a waitlist situation but not in the same round.

Hi mung35,

That's really interesting. I haven't heard of this happening before. How did your first interview go? At least this shows that they are interested in you. Best of luck for the 2nd interview!

Andy

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 14:25
andymann wrote:
mung35 wrote:

Hi mung35,

That's really interesting. I haven't heard of this happening before. How did your first interview go? At least this shows that they are interested in you. Best of luck for the 2nd interview!

Andy

mung35... I would like to know the same as well.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.76
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 10:33
mung35 wrote:

They would do so if something in your application isn't clear, i would think about it as another opportunity for you to explain your story to the ad com. Keep us posted and goodluck :)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Current Student

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 13:41
mung35 wrote:

I had a second interview. It's an opportunity to fill in gaps and tell your story, don't panic. In my situation it was hard for the adcom members to understand what I do in my current role because my company was unknown to them. They want to know more, so tell them more. If they weren't interested you would've got dinged.

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 11:01
Hi Guys,
I am in a bit of a dilemma... My supervisor who was one of my recommenders to HAAS, has quit the organization . Should I communicate this information to the HAAS adcom ?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: AGSM '16

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 18:50
dransa wrote:
Hi Guys,
I am in a bit of a dilemma... My supervisor who was one of my recommenders to HAAS, has quit the organization . Should I communicate this information to the HAAS adcom ?

It wouldn't hurt to inform them just in case. If you have already completed your application then it isn't likely Haas would need to contact them but you never know.

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
WE: Programming (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 18:45
Does Kroll also background check your extra curriculars ?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 20:16
moreway wrote:
Does Kroll also background check your extra curriculars ?

They don't tell you what they check. I just wouldn't lie anywhere in the application process.

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V33
Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2015, 06:42
Any R3 applicants on the forum? I just submitted my application yesterday. Keeping fingers crossed :). Any feedback on my profile:

Indian male engineer working in Energy (wholesale power market, non IT) industry.
GMAT 660 (Q49,V33)
GPA 3.67 (MS in electrical engineering, Power systems)
10 years of Energy sector experience
MBA areas of interest: Energy/Entreprenuership.
Strong extracurricular activies in engineering grad school. Good recommendations from current supervisor and previous supervisor. feel good about the essays. I rolled off a major project in Nov 2014 so missed the R2 deadline.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2015, 20:57

Last edited by timbuktu1 on 11 Jun 2015, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2015, 00:01
Just submitted application, 15 min. before deadline. Good luck everyone!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2015, 10:09
Does anyone know how Haas converts Indian(%) GPA into a 4.0 based gpa ?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2015, 20:26
Sam - it looks like there are a few of us in for round 3. Best of luck!

sam271980 wrote:
Any R3 applicants on the forum? I just submitted my application yesterday. Keeping fingers crossed :). Any feedback on my profile:

Indian male engineer working in Energy (wholesale power market, non IT) industry.
GMAT 660 (Q49,V33)
GPA 3.67 (MS in electrical engineering, Power systems)
10 years of Energy sector experience
MBA areas of interest: Energy/Entreprenuership.
Strong extracurricular activies in engineering grad school. Good recommendations from current supervisor and previous supervisor. feel good about the essays. I rolled off a major project in Nov 2014 so missed the R2 deadline.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2015, 20:26

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  44    Next  [ 872 posts ] 

Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap