It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 12:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018

new topic post reply Update application status  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
MBA Group Work: You Cannot Possibly Do It Alone [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2014, 17:01
FROM The Berkeley EWMBA Blog: MBA Group Work: You Cannot Possibly Do It Alone
The first time I gave “mba group work” in business school any thought was when I thumbed through the admissions brochure from Berkeley-Haas. I remember, quite vividly, a photo that showed three dedicated Evening and Weekend MBA students peering awkwardly (it was clearly a posed photo) into a laptop, while sitting at a gate at SFO – with a shiny Virgin America A320 parked behind them. Suddenly, group work meant doing sexy consulting projects that would earn me first-class upgrades and probably a great job at an amazing brand. Sign me up! 

What I didn’t know then, however, was that the reality of working in groups has been much, much better – even though I’ve yet to get a single travel perk doing it.

Throughout both my undergrad program and while earning an M.A., 99% of the way I was evaluated  – grades – was about individual results. I remember exactly one significant group project in six years. One! 

Yet, outside of school, most of my career has involved team effort. From planning presidential campaign events, to managing proposals, to building a business from scratch, nearly everything significant that I’ve accomplished has been as part of a team. It took going to business school for school to look even a little bit like… business. 

At Berkeley-Haas, collaboration – rather than just ‘group work’ is the norm, not the exception. While each professor structures things a little differently, nearly every class requires at least one group project. In some – and our core strategy class last spring comes to mind – most of the class is based on the work done in groups. And nowhere at Haas do our defining principles shine brighter than when a bunch of MBA students form a team. 

If you’re a fan of the late-90s Aaron Sorkin show Sports Night, you might remember a great quote from the short-lived show. It came from Robert Guillaume’s character, Isaac Jaffe: “If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. If you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.”

Groups are the perfect place to practice that. (Who in their right mind would hope to be the smartest person in their study group?) And project teams at school are the perfect place to try out a different role for yourself, too. It’s not easy, for example, to be the contrarian in a group at work, no matter how effectively you can support your arguments. But it’s good practice to take on that role now and then. At Haas, we encourage each other to question the status quo

My classmates at Haas are smart, accomplished, and ambitious. You’d expect that in any sample of MBA students, I’m sure. And they’re also generous to a fault, wickedly funny, and – here’s what I doubt you’ll find in just any sample of MBA students – incredibly humble. The folks in Admissions do a pretty amazing job screening for that, and it makes more of a difference than you could possibly appreciate until you spend a few months with this crowd.

As groups dive deep into their projects, the work can get intense and, sometimes, tiring. It can be hard not to fall in love with your own approach, or with the answer you worked hard to get. Despite that, you won’t see a lot of braggadocio here. We’re a collaborative, but still largely data-driven group. The best ideas, presented effectively, rather than the loudest arguments, usually win. Success comes with confidence – and without attitude.

Recently, I took an informal poll (as opposed to the many formal surveys your friends will ask you to take to support their group projects) of some of our Evening & Weekend MBA students, and I asked them what they look for when thinking about what electives to take. (In the EWMBA program now, there are three semesters of core classes, followed by three semesters of electives). Beyond certain “don’t miss” classes with perennial favorite professors, the most common criterion was “lots of group stuff.”

Teamwork can be energizing, fun, and social. Working with others allows you to learn from classmates who bring their career experience into the group. They allow you to learn about classmates with different experience, too. Good teamwork levels the hills and valleys of knowledge you experience during a semester, as different classmates take the lead at different times. Solving problems as a team forces each member to look at issues from perspectives other than their own. We learn a lot in those groups. In group work, we’re students always.

Perhaps the best part of the mba group work experience is the support you will get from, and give to, one another. One insightful classmate, as he tried diligently (and just barely successfully) to explain basic calculus to me, summed it up. “This program,” he opined, “is designed so that you cannot possibly do it alone.”

And so it is. No one is strong in every subject, nor does anyone have experience in everything you’ll study while working toward your MBA. If they did, they certainly wouldn’t be sitting in class next to you. Those folks (sightings of whom are rarer than the Loch Ness Monster) have better things to do with their Saturdays.

I’ve often relied on the kindness of classmates to fully understand a new concept, and I have been happy to return the favor in areas I understand. As you get to know your colleagues, you will see that they are always willing to give. You too will find ways to go beyond yourself to help them. 

So, my advice as you embark on your MBA experience – be it at Haas or elsewhere – is to prepare for the challenging – and fun – nature of collaborative work. You’ll learn a lot about yourself and your colleagues in the process.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 10:25
Congrats. Hopefully one is coming my way too. This may have already been asked but are there any stats on how many applications are submitted per round?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
thewaterlooser wrote:
Congrats. Hopefully one is coming my way too. This may have already been asked but are there any stats on how many applications are submitted per round?

I've heard stats ranging from 2/3 to 30% of applicants are asked in for an interview. Really not sure on this one.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 12:58
Has everyone got their invite or is there more people there who are waiting like me :oops:
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 13:07
siva143viji wrote:
Has everyone got their invite or is there more people there who are waiting like me :oops:

I'm still waiting too... :?
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 13:12
Waiting here as well. I asked someone from admissions during an info session a while back and they said they intend to interview 2/3 of all applicants.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 13:14
Does anyone one know if they send out an email if you are not called for an interview. Also do they wait list you without an interview for now.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 13:16
siva143viji wrote:
Does anyone one know if they send out an email if you are not called for an interview. Also do they wait list you without an interview for now.

I received an email invite for an interview yesterday. I don't know about how they go about wait listing. Best of luck to everyone!
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 09:33
I just received an email saying that my application is incomplete, pending my transcripts from school. Still nothing about an interview yet.

My status online has been updated to the following:
Application Status: Incomplete, reviewable
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 14:19
Same email for me also. Pending on transcripts from India but application status is Incomplete, reviewable
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 16:27
thewaterlooser wrote:
I just received an email saying that my application is incomplete, pending my transcripts from school. Still nothing about an interview yet.

My status online has been updated to the following:
Application Status: Incomplete, reviewable

I just received my invitation for an interview 8-) . I'm guessing the status change earlier was an indicator that my application was opened up. Just a hunch.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 18:05
I got my interview call too.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 19:01
I submitted my application on Nov.18 and got an interview email today. It's funny because in the morning I was just notified that my application was completed and in the afternoon I was asked to set a time for interview.

Feel like there are not too many people in the R1 this year compared to last year? :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Constructing a New Berkeley MBA Student Experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2014, 12:01
FROM The Berkeley EWMBA Blog: Constructing a New Berkeley MBA Student Experience

Coming in 2016 to Berkeley-Haas: 80,000 square feet devoted entirely to student learning and interaction.

We've begun construction on a new North Academic Buildingthat will feature state-of-the-art technology and flexible classrooms, as well as plenty of group study rooms and an event space with sweeping views of the San Francisco Bay.

Funded with private donations, the building is scheduled to be completed in fall 2016 and has been designed to achieve at least certified LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold status.

According to Dean Rich Lyons, the new building will enable Berkeley-Haas to keep pace with rapid changes in the delivery of management education and create "the best, most up-to-date learning experience for students." This includes a focus on work spaces that facilitate collaboration and applied innovation, in keeping with the Berkeley MBA Program's mission of developing innovative leaders.

The new building is also designed to encourage community, within Haas and with the surrounding UC Berkeley and San Francisco Bay Area communities. Says Dean Lyons, "This building and our newly renovated courtyard will play a central role in boosting new connections and new ideas."

From facts and figures to artist renderings, we invite you to learn more about our evolving campus.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2014, 09:43
Any reviews on interviews so far for R1 applicants? Mine is coming up pretty quick and I've prepared for the basic questions but am wondering if there is anything tricky out there. Also are the interviews really only 30 min? Seems like a short time and I'm not sure if they allow for the interview to roll over or not. Just curious.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2014, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
bamirb wrote:
Any reviews on interviews so far for R1 applicants? Mine is coming up pretty quick and I've prepared for the basic questions but am wondering if there is anything tricky out there. Also are the interviews really only 30 min? Seems like a short time and I'm not sure if they allow for the interview to roll over or not. Just curious.

I had my interview last week and it went really well. The interviewer was extremely nice and the whole thing basically was one big conversation. It's pretty much what I expected from Haas. Real communication on a human level. Honestly, just go in there and be yourself. You've done your research on the school, extensive introspection while writing essays, and a comprehensive overview of your experience through writing your resume. You have all the tools to do well in the interview.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2014, 09:37
I had my interview yesterday. What thewaterlooser said was exactly true they are just trying to get to know you. Just be yourself and you should do fine. Ability to talk about your resume and be able to answer the questions from your resume that may come up and you should be fine.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2014, 08:08
Yep! Thank you for the feedback. It was super easy just wish we had more time! They do pretty much keep it to 30 min. I guess its just a waiting game at this point!
Intern
Intern
Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2014, 15:52
Just finished mine today. The interviewer was very nice and it's like a 1:1 conversation. Mostly went through my resume and typical MBA questions. Just be yourself and that's all. I feel mine went pretty fast and after the interviewer walked me out of the building, it's exactly 30m.

Wish everyone has an awesome interview!
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2014, 16:38
I wonder whether anyone of you were given a business card by your interviewer post the interview - which then can be used to write a 'Thank You' note

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2014, 16:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  44    Next  [ 872 posts ] 

Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap