GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 01:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Judge(Cambridge) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!

post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all Judge(Cambridge) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 22:55
Mangasi wrote:
Hi..

I applied in R5, interviewed on 22nd of Jun '16, admitted on 24th of June. I'm from Indonesia, and currently working on my funding. I am expected to fulfil the financial requirements by 30th of June, which is only 6 days away from the announcement. I have proposed a new deadline as I expect there will be some delay from my sponsor to provide the guarantee letter.

Has anyone here experienced the same thing? I was wondering if this is possible, considering the R5 application and I haven't received any response from them regarding the newly proposed deadline.

The admissions team has been in DC for the GMAC conference, I've been getting their out of office responses. They should be back and start replying today.
Retired Moderator
B
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Judge(Cambridge) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 23:09
Top Contributor
esmartman wrote:
Mangasi, Congrats on your admission! I also applied in R5 and got admitted on June 17. I also have to fulfill financial requirements by the 30th, which is not enough time since I don't live in the UK. I asked the admissions folks if they would consider granting me an extension, and they said yes. But they requested that I should be considerate as they would like to inform candidates on the wait-list as soon as possible if I decide not to attend. So, in general, I think its OK to request an extension.

Mangasi wrote:
Hi..

I applied in R5, interviewed on 22nd of Jun '16, admitted on 24th of June. I'm from Indonesia, and currently working on my funding. I am expected to fulfil the financial requirements by 30th of June, which is only 6 days away from the announcement. I have proposed a new deadline as I expect there will be some delay from my sponsor to provide the guarantee letter.

Has anyone here experienced the same thing? I was wondering if this is possible, considering the R5 application and I haven't received any response from them regarding the newly proposed deadline.

The ad com has to respond to the waitlisted candidates within 3 weeks from the last deadline. So, they must be under pressure and can't give extension beyond a few days
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 10:44
Top Contributor
I believe most waitlisted candidates would have heard by now. Got dinged yesterday after a month on the waitlist.

Good Luck to all who made it.
Good news for non EU students in the Cambridge MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 22:00
FROM Cambridge Admissions Blog: Good news for non EU students in the Cambridge MBA
I am writing this in the Starbucks at Terminal 3 of Beijing Capital International Airport, having spent the last few days in Shanghai and Beijing meeting candidates interested in the Cambridge MBA. Asia is an important strategic focus for the Cambridge MBA and I spend at least a month each year travelling through major economic centres in Asia.

Understandably, there have been a fair amount of questions about the impact of Brexit on the Cambridge MBA. Most candidates understand that there won’t be any immediate changes as a result of the referendum but they are of course keen to know what the longer-term impact will be.

As this point in time, it is anyone’s guess what will happen since there have been no news of formal negotiations starting between the UK and the EU. Nonetheless, I have told candidates the following :-

a. top employers that I have spoken to after the referendum have said that the vote will not change their recruitment plans. As global companies, they are always looking for global talent, and they are very used to applying for visas according to local laws.

b. the Cambridge MBA is a global programme. We attract a global student body and our MBAs pursue global careers after they graduate. While a good number of our MBAs stay in the UK to work or start companies after their studies, many of them will switch countries after several years. They are able to make these career switches because of what they experienced during their one year in Cambridge, the academic knowledge and soft skills that they acquired while here, and the networks that they have built.

c. the UK Home Office has shown, after the referendum, that they will adopt a nuanced approach to immigration. Soon after the referendum vote, the Home Office chose Cambridge as one of four UK universities where our non-EU Masters students (including MBAs and MFins) will be able to stay in the UK for up to six months after the completion of their studies. The previous policy, which will continue to apply to other UK universities, only allowed non-EU students a stay of four months after the completion of their studies. The new policy is intended to help universities such as Cambridge attract top students and give these students more opportunities to find employment in the UK after graduation so that they can make significant contributions to the British economy.

These points taken together lead me to believe that the Cambridge MBA can build on its current strong position. Already the MBA 2015 class is showing very strong employment outcomes and we are on track to admit the largest Cambridge MBA class ever. The new MBA 2016 class will also benefit from some enhancements that we have made to the programme and careers provision, following consultation with top employers about the skills that MBAs will need in the next five years. Key changes include new core classes in digital business, entrepreneurship and Business in Society; and more customised case practice workshops for our students. It promises to be an exciting time for our students, the MBA team and myself.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
Platform innovation or walled gardens. How I felt economically disconn  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 03:00
FROM Cambridge Admissions Blog: Platform innovation or walled gardens. How I felt economically disconnected in China
So it has been several days since I returned from China. I visit cities in China once or twice a year as China is growing so rapidly in economic importance. Every year, I see huge change and this year was the same.

This year, I noticed for the first time the inroads that WeChat has made into everyday life in China. Much has been written about how the banning of Facebook and Twitter gave Chinese social media platforms such as wechat and weibo the space to grow to the point where even if Facebook and Twitter were allowed into CHina, no one would sign up with them because everyone in China is on Wechat. But this ignores the fact that wechat has not just copied its Western counterparts but created new innovations at a faster speed.

A good example is payments through wechat. Many restaurants that I visited asked me if I could pay my bill through wechat instead of using a credit card. And when I went to my favourite Chinese bookstore to buy some books for my daughter, they were so disappointed that I didn’t have the wechat wallet because they would have given me a 50% discount on my purchases.

Now I am a very happy user of Apple Pay which is also available in China. But wechat payments are so popular that the reaction of many in China to Apple Pay, or Samsung Pay was a collective shrug and a meh?

But my own observation is that the user experience of wechat payments isn’t actually better than mobile payments through Apple Pay etc. A customer has to use his or her mobile phone to scan a QR code at the counter, which would then bring you into a message box within wechat and you then type in the payment amount. The person behind the counter then has to verify that you had actually paid the correct amount and many times I have seen the customer having to hand over the mobile phone over the counter for verification. In the case of Apple Pay, it is just a simple tap while you put your finger on the home button.

But then again, perhaps it is not the quality of the user experience that is important at this stage, but the level of adoption. Given how pervasive wechat is in daily Chinese life (you can send money to your friends, pay for almost everything, order a ride share etc), that even a superior user experience would not lead to an adoption switch. Moreover, wechat is hardware agnostic whereas Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Android Pay are only available on selected handsets.

Maybe it is time for me to set up a wechat wallet before my next trip to China.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
If you want to expand your network, don’t stick to people like yoursel  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 07:00
FROM Cambridge Admissions Blog: If you want to expand your network, don’t stick to people like yourself
So my daughter started school this week and I was amazed at how she, and the other 4 year olds in her class, just seemed to make connections so easily. I hesitate to call these connections friendship since I am not sure 4 year olds understand what friendship means. But put them in a playground and everyone just gets on.

My daughter’s class reflects the incredible diversity in Cambridge. And I have no doubt that if she keeps an open mind, she will learn a lot from the other children in her class.

I was reminded of this when I met some candidates at the MBA2U fair in Munich yesterday. Quite a number of people, after giving a brief introduction of their profile, were very keen to know just how many students in our class had a similar profile and career interest. They felt that if there were more people with similar interests, then that would reinforce their decision to join a particular MBA Programme.

I didn’t make the mental connection at the time but it occurred to me later that, while it is comforting to have classmates with similar backgrounds and interests, the key thing to improving the quality of your network is to talk to people different from yourself. Simply talking to similar people won’t expand your network significantly since you would probably know the same set of people that they know and it wouldn’t increase your own knowledge that much. Whereas making a connection with someone with very different backgrounds to yourself means gaining access to their networks, which would be completely different to your own.

This is also why we try to build a diverse class. Because a diverse class of 160 students can help you build a larger network than if you were with a thousand people all similar to yourself.
GMAT Club Bot
If you want to expand your network, don’t stick to people like yoursel   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2016, 07:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   [ 126 posts ] 

Calling all Judge(Cambridge) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!

post reply Update application status