GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 19:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 09:37
techitytech wrote:
luckyducky7 wrote:
I'm going to be out of the country on 3/25. Do you all think its presumptuous to email admissions to let them know? In the case that I get a phone call (fingers crossed) I don't want them to think I'm ignoring them! Was anyone in R1 in this situation?

Personally I would not email them. I'm sure they won't think that you are ignoring them, and it's not like you will lose your admission offer if you do not answer. If anything, tie your phone's voicemail to Google Voice so you will get an email with the transcribed voicemail, and then use skype international calling to call them back when you can.

What! That's genius. Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Traveling to Thailand for my first business challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 11:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Traveling to Thailand for my first business challenge
As natives of Brazil, Thiago Pinto ’15 and I want to give back to our homeland. Thanks to our time at Kellogg, we’re on our way to accomplishing that goal.

We wanted to leverage what we’re learning at Kellogg to impact Brazil’s economy, and we think we can do that by transforming the country’s underserved recycling industry. That is why we created New Hope Ecotech, a B2B startup that aims to connect packaged goods manufacturers with waste collectors via direct servicing and tradable environmental securities.

We recently pitched our company in the mai Bangkok Business Challenge in Thailand, and after finishing second in the competition, we’re ready to take what we learned and continue building a company we think will have a great social impact.

To join the competition was not an easy decision. The competition is organized by the Sasin Graduate Institute of Business Administration, part of Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok. That meant we needed to fly for 24 hours and represent our venture with 12-hour jet lag, miss a couple of great classes and come back to midterm exams with some more jet lag.

But every (sleepy) minute of the experience was worth the effort. We were able to receive constructive feedback from people who have diverse cultures and backgrounds. With that, we learned that a good business idea with true social impact can bring great minds together and overcome cultural and physical barriers.

The mai Bangkok Business Challenge was not just a competition. It was a new venture pitch bootcamp, and it turned out to be a much bigger event than we imagined. The six final-round presentations were broadcast through a local channel called Money Channel and were available for live stream on the channels’ website. After the competition was finished, the school took all 16 teams on a boat cruise. To top it off, the award ceremony had a special guest: a representative of Thailand’s King

As for the challenge, I have to talk about all the work we did prior to the celebration.

We arrived in Bangkok on a Thursday at 9 a.m. We ran to the hotel, then to the school because we had to prepare our venture booth before noon. Then, after a photo shoot, we had some time to rehearse our pitch because the first session of presentations was that afternoon! We had the chance to receive valuable feedback from a five-person jury following that presentation.. After the opening ceremony, all 16 teams presented a 99-second pitch to the audience.

The next day, thanks to the jet lag, we woke up at 4 a.m. and had enough time to adapt our presentation based on the feedback we received during the first round. We had an amazing Thai breakfast that was followed by the semifinal round presentation. During the afternoon, we had 30 minutes with the semifinal jury to receive more feedback!

Twelve of the teams had to present again (for the third time in 24 hours) in the playoff round. Luckily for us, it was naptime. We were one of the four teams to go straight to the final round! Friday night was time to celebrate with a dinner filled with delicious food and Thai music.

Saturday, the big day, finally arrived. Our final-round presentation was broadcast and we made it to the first runner-up position!

The award ceremony was followed by a dinner cruise on the Chaophraya. And that is how those three days of “bootcamp” finished. It was already time to start our 24 hours of travel again.

Khob khun ka (Thank you), Sasin!

Luciana Oliveira ’15 is a second-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time MBA Program. Earlier this year, she was named one of Kellogg’s 10 Zell Scholars, a program created to provide support for students looking to turn their startups into market- and funding-ready businesses.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Career, Student Life Tagged: B2B, Bangkok, Brazil, competition, entrepreneurship, Innovation, Startup, Thailand Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 08:58
If I had a Skype interview, does anyone know how do we thank the interviewer after the interview?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 09:14
crackmba2012 wrote:
If I had a Skype interview, does anyone know how do we thank the interviewer after the interview?

I'd just send an email thanking them for their time; shouldn't be any different to a face to face interview.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 10:07
Does anyone know when Kellogg has their accepted students weekend, DAK? I just want to be sure no travel is planned for that weekend, just in case.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 11:10
JenDO2009 wrote:
Does anyone know when Kellogg has their accepted students weekend, DAK? I just want to be sure no travel is planned for that weekend, just in case.

from what I know it is April 23-26 for R2ers
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 15:19
How many accepted applicants were at DAK 1?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 05:29
SC29 wrote:

around 300 including 2y,1y,MMM and JDMBA
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 05:49
EndGame wrote:
SC29 wrote:

Wow, that's a lot. How many people at DAK seemed like they were going to matriculate?

I wonder how this bodes for all of us on the WL... :(

My GMAT Journey: A surprising 730!

My Application experience: Low GPA Success!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 06:26
dtse86 wrote:
EndGame wrote:
SC29 wrote:

Wow, that's a lot. How many people at DAK seemed like they were going to matriculate?

Not sure if this would help but most of the ones I interacted with had locked on Kellogg. A couple were unsure though.
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 06:45
EndGame wrote:
dtse86 wrote:
EndGame wrote:

Not sure if this would help but most of the ones I interacted with had locked on Kellogg. A couple were unsure though.

Thanks, but it looks like it's gonna be harder for us WL'ers to get admitted this year.

Unfortunately I think the MBA degree has gotten more popular in general this year leading to more applications at all of the top schools and thus making it more competitive.

Guess all I can do for now is wait and pray. For now I'm just thankful that I'm finished with my applications and that I've gotten into a good school. Although it would be nice to attend somewhere in the "Magic 7"...

Anyways :gl to the rest of you applicants out there! R2 applicants, you've got under a month now! T-minus 27 days!!

My GMAT Journey: A surprising 730!

My Application experience: Low GPA Success!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 06:55

I wonder how this bodes for all of us on the WL... :([/quote]

Not sure if this would help but most of the ones I interacted with had locked on Kellogg. A couple were unsure though.[/quote]

Thanks, but it looks like it's gonna be harder for us WL'ers to get admitted this year.

Unfortunately I think the MBA degree has gotten more popular in general this year leading to more applications at all of the top schools and thus making it more competitive.

Guess all I can do for now is wait and pray. For now I'm just thankful that I'm finished with my applications and that I've gotten into a good school. Although it would be nice to attend somewhere in the "Magic 7"...

Anyways :gl to the rest of you applicants out there! R2 applicants, you've got under a month now! T-minus 27 days!![/quote]

Agreed that the competition has increased and the fact that certain industries such as Oil and Gas are in a crisis isn't helping matters. That said, Both tepper and Johnson are great schools. I have undergrad buddies graduating from both those places this year. They won excellent career prospects and are pretty psyched about their MBA experience . And who knows Kellogg might knock your door at the end of spring or something. Either way you'll be fine.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 08:00
EndGame wrote:
dtse86 wrote:
EndGame wrote:

Oh I see. I ask because if (a big huge tentative if!) I get accepted to Kellogg, I won't be able to make DAK due to other travel plans. Was trying to figure out how much FOMO I'd have.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 08:53

I wonder how this bodes for all of us on the WL... :([/quote]

Not sure if this would help but most of the ones I interacted with had locked on Kellogg. A couple were unsure though.[/quote]

Oh I see. I ask because if (a big huge tentative if!) I get accepted to Kellogg, I won't be able to make DAK due to other travel plans. Was trying to figure out how much FOMO I'd have.[/quote]

LOL, Dak's are fun . verry funnn. As far as FOMO, theres gonna be loads when you enter B school anyway. It hits you every time plan on going to a mixer but your friend suits up to attend one of those 'real' B school events
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 02:31
EndGame wrote:
LOL, Dak's are fun . verry funnn. As far as FOMO, theres gonna be loads when you enter B school anyway. It hits you every time plan on going to a mixer but your friend suits up to attend one of those 'real' B school events

Haha - fair enough. Have you decided re Kellogg vs Duke?
Manager
Manager
Our journey to winning the Deloitte National Case Competition  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Our journey to winning the Deloitte National Case Competition
Matt Heintz, Andry Lesmana and Bora Sekeral represented Kellogg at the Deloitte National Case Competition in January. Here, the three reflect on how their team came to be, what the competition was like and what they learned from the experience.

Our original team was formed serendipitously and through a comedy of errors.

Matt showed up to the kick-off meeting thinking it was just an info session. He quickly realized the competition was kicking off immediately and that our team’s school-wide presentation was due in two days. Andry and Matt pulled a team together within the next 12 hours, and off we went to beat the clock.

We presented along with other Kellogg teams to a group of judges from the Deloitte Chicago office, where we were honored to take first place. Winning the school-level competition opened the door to compete with 14 other teams from top MBA programs across the nation.

We were welcomed by relatively warm weather as we stepped into Deloitte University in Dallas for the National Case Competition. After a night of networking, the competition started the next morning with the case distributed to all teams at 8:30 a.m. Each team was assigned its own private workroom and had 11 hours to finalize its slide deck for submission.

The case was a profitability/growth strategy for a startup called Quirky. Quirky is an innovative consumer goods company that aims to bring crowd-sourcing to product innovation. An inventor comes up with an idea, and a community of “influencers” helps evolve the idea into finished products. These inventors and influencers then keep a percent of the revenue when Quirky manufactures and sells the product.

There were three rounds in the competition that saw each team present –  using the same set of slides – to a panel of five to eight judges. Four teams advanced to the final round, where each had 15 minutes to present to a panel of judges that consisted of Quirky senior management, industry professionals and Deloitte partners, plus all the teams that did not advance. Teams were evaluated on four different categories:

• Overall content

• Growth and product strategy recommendations

• Risk assessment

• Presentation

There were two key ingredients to our success: story and data. We carved out some time in the beginning to independently explore the problem and brainstorm solutions. To avoid anchoring on others’ opinion, we wrote down our thoughts and discussed them as a team to come up with a hybrid solution.

Our solutions branched off the main theme of focusing on core business competencies and were supported by financial data that highlighted the top revenue contributors. An engaging storyline helps the audience understand why the problem occurs, how the solution plans to fix it and how the result ties back to stakeholder’s interest.

One thing we saw is that taking calculated risks were key to winning in a competitive business landscape. One of our proposed solutions was radical and broke through business orthodoxies, yet that differentiated our team from the rest. We learned that combining out-of-the-box ideas with objective data could turn into a powerful weapon for growth.

“For the final four presentations, that was the largest and most senior audience I had ever presented to,” Matt Heintz said. “I had always heard that business school changes you, but that was the moment I knew what that meant.

“I was able to seamlessly and confidently present to individuals, something I couldn’t imagine being capable of as little as six months ago. I know it sounds silly, but I truly understood what ‘inspire growth’ meant at that point.”

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Student Life Tagged: Case Competition, competition, Deloitte, Deloitte National Case Competition, Growth, student win Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 09:32
SC29 wrote:
EndGame wrote:

Haha - fair enough. Have you decided re Kellogg vs Duke?

Kellogg it is !
Manager
Manager
There are no stupid questions. Just ask a Nobel Prize winner.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: There are no stupid questions. Just ask a Nobel Prize winner.
First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

In our first Microeconomics class this quarter, our professor spoke of her experiences presenting research to audiences that included Nobel Prize winners. She noticed that the Nobel Prize winners were most often the ones who raised their hands and asked questions. Some of the questions could be perceived as simple questions, as they occasionally sought to clarify some of the most basic concepts of the discussion.

When she observed this pattern repeat over and over again, she realized it was that willingness to learn and dig deep that made the Nobel Prize winners special. They might not have understood the topic when they started, but they saw to it that they didn’t stay uninformed for long. Our professor’s message to us was to make sure we asked questions about any concept we didn’t understand in class.

This is my third iteration of being a student, and in my quest to learn how to learn, I feel like I’m finally beginning to understand and internalize lessons like this. This is a trait I observed in top executives from my time as a consultant as well. They were very willing to look simple and ask questions around the underlying assumptions. And these questions often unearthed real insight.

This lesson reminded me of the Mark Twain quote: “A person who won’t read has no advantage over one who can’t.”

You don’t often control your current level of understanding. But, staying at your current level of understanding is entirely your choice. If you find yourself wondering if your question is a stupid question, remember the Nobel Prize winners.

Thanks Professor!

Rohan Rajiv is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: economics, MBA Learnings, microeconomics, Nobel Prize, Two-Year MBA Program Image

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 08:44
Any Indians who were waived for interview got a subsequent interview call yet?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GRE 1: Q163 V157
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 10:51
pway wrote:
Any Indians who were waived for interview got a subsequent interview call yet?

Still awaiting the call [FACE WITH COLD SWEAT]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 28 Feb 2015, 10:51

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  84   85   86   87   88  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap