GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 01:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Director
Director
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.4
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 05:16
did you interview last time? i almost feel i read somewhere earlier in the thread that they might use your old interview...
patartob wrote:
Indonesian re-applicant and received a waiver as well...Well, time to move on I guess and better hope for other schools :(
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.48
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 06:37
angelfire213 wrote:
did you interview last time? i almost feel i read somewhere earlier in the thread that they might use your old interview...
patartob wrote:
Indonesian re-applicant and received a waiver as well...Well, time to move on I guess and better hope for other schools :(

I applied 2 years ago and yes, I was interviewed by an alumni who's working in BCG, but I somewhat doubt they still have my interview transcript...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 07:49
Guys, calm down. A waiver does not mean a ding at all (in fact waivers are sent out randomly, BEFORE review of your application). There's just too many applicants for Kellogg to interview, especially internationally. A waiver just means that the adcom will proceed with reviewing your application without/before an interview. If you're a competitive candidate and someone they like, they will send you a request for a phone or Skype interview (even up to 2 weeks before the deadline! in this case, mid-March). However, if you don't receive this request, you can be certain it's a ding or WL.
Manager
Manager
Keeping a finger on the pulse of media and entertainment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Keeping a finger on the pulse of media and entertainment
Two teams of Kellogg students recently escaped Chicago’s winter for the sun in Los Angeles to compete in the Media and Entertainment Case Competition at UCLA’s Annual Pulse Conference.

The conference hosted a series of panels that spanned the gamut of media and entertainment industries. With representatives from Hulu, Lionsgate, Spotify, and Live Nation, just to name a few, the conference certainly wasn’t lacking on insight from impactful leaders.

This year was the first year UCLA incorporated a case competition into the conference. Paramount Pictures sponsored the event, challenging teams to create a strategy to overcome diminishing margins in a world of mobile media consumption and streaming services. Sixteen teams from nine different schools were put to the task. Our team was really excited to tackle this prompt since each of us shares a passion for navigating the tumultuous digital media landscape.

Each team was given a week to come up with a solution to the prompt. We then presented to a panel of judges that included representatives from Paramount, UCLA Anderson and other industry experts. From our brainstorming process up until we put the finishing touches on our presentation, we came away with a handful of valuable insights.

IN A WORLD INCREASINGLY DRIVEN BY DATA – DON’T LOSE SIGHT OF PRACTICALITY!

As consumer data becomes simpler to aggregate and analyze by the day, it is easy to get swept up in what the numbers tell you. While data can certainly lead to informative and actionable insights, it is important to always step back and ask, “But will this work in the real world?” We believe this mindset is something that set our team apart – we shut down a few of our own ideas that, on paper, seemed bulletproof. But when we asked ourselves, “Would I actually do this if I were the consumer?” the answer sometimes was a resounding no.

DON’T BE AFRAID TO GO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD

Ideas can sometimes feel like relationships. Once you commit to one it can be difficult to cut it loose and explore alternative possibilities. Our team spent the first half of the week building out an idea that revolved around harnessing and monetizing movie piracy. It was creative. It was disruptive. And frankly, we thought it was pretty sexy. That said, it was also completely filled with holes. It can be tough to let go of an idea that you’ve grown attached to, especially when under a time crunch, but sometimes square one is the best direction to head.

GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE IS INVALUABLE

While this one seems a bit obvious, and very few people would dispute its truth, the global perspective of our team really shone through when it came to evaluating our plan of attack. Each of our team members spent meaningful time living overseas (two of us for our entire lives). It really helped us shape our perspective of the relevance and scalability of our strategy in global markets.

Our team is grateful to have had the opportunity to compete in UCLA and Paramount’s competition and we are thrilled to have been selected as the winning team. Along with a comical (and generous) novelty check, we were all invited to interview with Paramount for a summer internship, where we could hopefully build our idea into a reality.

Libby Koerbel ’16 is a student in the Two-Year MBA program. Before coming to Kellogg, she worked as a consultant at BCG, where she spent her third year internally at Universal Music Group focused on strategy and corporate venture capital. Her list of hometowns is longer than this article, but she loves any city with live music, adventures, and creative people.

Chris Phillips ’16 is a student in the Two-Year MBA program. Most recently he was Head of Digital at Warner Music Australia, leading the label’s efforts in Digital Strategy & Business Development, Digital Marketing and Insight. His media career spans music, television, radio and consumer facing technology products. This was his first novelty check.

Matt Weiss ’16 is a student in the Two-Year MBA program. He was born in London and spent some time living in Hong Kong before ultimately settling in the United States. Before Kellogg he was working as an investment consultant in Boston. He loves music and digital media and came to Kellogg in pursuit of a career in the industry.

Anja Zhao ’15 is a student in the One-Year MBA program. She grew up in different parts of Germany and spent six years in Taipei and Shanghai. Prior to Kellogg, she worked at L’Oréal in Online Marketing and spent three years in management consulting at BCG in Berlin. Her favorite things include music, digital media, travel photography, design, people with interesting personalities and good food.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Student Life Tagged: Case Competition, competition, digital media, entertainment, media, One-Year MBA Program, Two-Year MBA Program, UCLA Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager
Dining and learning with female business leaders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Dining and learning with female business leaders
It’s been a busy few weeks for members of Kellogg’s Women’s Business Association. One of the key parts of programming in our mission to connect, support, and develop Kellogg women involves hosting business leaders for small group dinners. Students recently took advantage of two of these dinners, where they were able to learn from and network with three successful and inspirational women.

INSPIRATION FROM BELEZA NATURAL

Written by Giulia Gargioni

We recently had the opportunity to sit down with Leila Velez, founder and CEO of Beleza Natural. In partnership with Kellogg’s LAHIMA (Latin American Hispanic & Iberian Management Association), the WBA had dinner with Leila to talk about a range of topics, including leadership, life, and managing a growing business.

I was struck by Leila’s kind personality and her willingness to share so much of her story with us. She answered every single question we had very frankly, and always with a smile on her face.

Her story is truly nothing short of inspiring. From humble beginnings, she and her partner dedicated more than 10 years of spare time and weekends to developing a hair treatment product that loosens and decreases volume of curly hair. Even after they developed a successful product, few people had faith they could reach a middle-class target in Brazil profitably.

Undeterred, they founded Beleza Natural (Portuguese for Natural Beauty), an institute that provides a unique service targeted at a largely overlooked segment of Brazilian customers: afro-Brazilian and mixed-race women.

The success of Beleza Nautral relied heavily on word-of-mouth advertising in the market. Today their reputation has reached far and wide, and clients would travel from neighboring cities to have their hair treated at Beleza Natural salons.

Leila was recognized as one of Brazil’s Most Influential Women in 2007 and her co-founder, Zica Assis, was named in Forbes’ 10 Most Powerful Businesswomen in Brazil in 2013.

Leila’s story really shows that enduring success does not “just happen.” It is cultivated with hard work, intelligence, patience and passion. I walked away from the dinner feeling inspired by the story of this fantastic leader. It’s nights like these that make me realize how valuable the Kellogg experience outside the classroom can be.

ENTREPRENEURSHIP IN SOCIAL VENTURE WITH KELLOGG ALUMNI

Written by Ivy Lee

Kellogg alum Ivy Walker ’98 has a background that includes a wide range of entrepreneurial experiences in both for-profit and not-for-profit/social venture settings. She is currently CEO of Helios Digital Learning, an ethics and anti-fraud training firm.

Monisha Lozier ’01 is a co-founder and partner at Bellwether, where she blends her passion for the education reform community for K-12th grade with 15+ years of executive search and career coaching experience.

The two recently sat down with a group of Kellogg women to help spotlight entrepreneurship opportunities in education and entrepreneurship, as well as share some of the challenges and opportunities that come with starting your own business.

I learned a lot from both Ivy and Monisha but wanted to share my top three takeaways. First, both Ivy and Monisha iterated that education is an area ripe with innovation. While the industry has transformed in many aspects over the past decade or so, it still continues to need bold thinkers to drive the discussions forward. This is a key objective that drives the missions of Helios Digital Learning and Bellwether.

Second, from an entrepreneurship perspective, it is critical to listen and infer from the customer voice in early stage ventures. In addition, an entrepreneur must set goals in each business stage and measure performance before moving into the next stage.

The last point was a more personal one. Discrimination arises in the workplace in all shapes and forms. We must rise above it by allowing our work to speak for itself and refusing to let it define or hinder us.

Giulia Gargioni is Brazilian and a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year MBA program. She serves as Director of Internal Relations for the WBA. Prior to Kellogg, she worked as a consultant at Bain & Company and an active member of the Women @ Bain initiative.

Ivy Lee is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year MBA program with a focus on Entrepreneurship. She serves as a Director of Alumni Relations for the WBA. Prior to Kellogg, she worked on customer strategy for Capital One, particularly in the small business space.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Career, Student Life Tagged: alumni, business leaders, entrepreneurship, IMA, LAHIMA, social venture, WBA, Women's Business Association Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 10:18
Arnav1522 wrote:
It wouldn't have felt this bad if I was interviewed and denied the admit. :cry:
Kinda sucks ;(
I called up the admissions office yesterday.They said my application is under review and need to be patient till 25/3 for the results....:(

What about the official GMAC scores?

Your official GMAT scores need to be submitted along with your application. So even if you've submitted the unofficial scores at the time of submitting the application, you need to ensure the official scores are also sent to the school from GMAC. You can do this either by selecting the school as one of the five options at the time of taking GMAT - to these schools, GMAC sends your scores automatically...if you'd done that, then you don't need to worry. However, if you hadn't chosen Kellogg at the time of taking GMAT, you need to get the scores sent through GMAC. You can do this by going to your account on GMAC website and paying some fee ($25 i guess).

That being said, generally if a school finds your application to be incomplete, you get a mail asking you to submit the missing documents. I guess there's no harm in checking with them once...

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 19:42
Thanks Neha...Since I have taken GMAT few years back I think I should request GMAC to send across my official
score reports to Kellogg.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 20:14
Arnav1522 wrote:
There is nothing much that I can do now.
Fingers crossed...

Do we need to submit official GMAT scores (Via GMAC) before we get an admit?

On a related point: I was pretty impressed that the Kellogg online platform automatically reflected the GMAT score history I submitted. They matched my score reports with my online application so I didn't need to type in my scores or attach the PDF of the official score report.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V42
WE: General Management (Education)

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 20:22
Just had my interview with an investment banker. It went for 45 minutes and was very conversational.

Usual questions like run me through your resume, why an mba, why Kellogg and then a curve ball about which specific clubs I would join.

She gave me quite a few tips about Kellogg and Evanston which was so helpful! Hopefully she gives me a 'yes'!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 20:25
jmey wrote:
Just had my interview with an investment banker. It went for 45 minutes and was very conversational.

Usual questions like run me through your resume, why an mba, why Kellogg and then a curve ball about which specific clubs I would join.

She gave me quite a few tips about Kellogg and Evanston which was so helpful! Hopefully she gives me a 'yes'!

I think the general view is that Kellogg interviews are much more conversational / relax than others. I had mine with the head of Uber in my country and it was very relaxed. Ended up tossing around random stories about our work. Hopefully he'll say YES too! Goodluck to you!
Manager
Manager
Alumni Spotlight: Frank Muscarello ’03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Alumni Spotlight: Frank Muscarello ’03
Get to know some of Kellogg’s alumni who are bringing bold entrepreneurial visions to life.

What happens when you start a business at age 22, grow it into a $20 million company and then lose it all in a day?

If you’re Frank Muscarello ’03 (EMP-55), you start another company. And this time, you build a better one.

In Muscarello’s case, that company is MarkITx, an online marketplace for trading enterprise hardware. Co-founded by the Chicago native in 2012, the company has quickly become a game-changer for secondary IT.

In less than two years, MarkITx has squashed any revenue numbers posted by Muscarello’s first company, Vision Point of Sale, during its 16-year run. This year’s revenue for MarkITx is up 377 percent compared to last. After only eight months of operations, the company earned a whopping $12 million valuation. And, according to Muscarello, MarkITx is projected to exceed $1 billion in the next five years.

Learn more about MarkITx and how Kellogg helped Frank get where he is today.

Filed under: Career Tagged: alumni, Alumni Spotlight, entrepreneurship, Innovation Image

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2015, 02:20
ceekster wrote:
jmey wrote:

I think the general view is that Kellogg interviews are much more conversational / relax than others. I had mine with the head of Uber in my country and it was very relaxed. Ended up tossing around random stories about our work. Hopefully he'll say YES too! Goodluck to you!

Wow! Cool job!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q46 V41

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2015, 16:54
I'm slightly concerned that everyone had shorter interviews than me, but it was probably just the style of my interviewer. My interviewer is an investment banker and the interview was located in a private hangout space off of the lobby of his work building. He said he wanted the interview to be more conversational and informal, but he was very formal and serious. Didn't ask a lot of follow up questions or make comments, but he did laugh at my attempts at humour. When I asked him questions about Kellogg, that's when he spoke more and gave long answers. Was worried that he may have found me boring, but when he answered my questions he referenced things that I had said (apparently he did similar volunteer work as me while at Kellogg). Overall, the interview lasted about 20 minutes.
Manager
Manager
My Kellogg experience: An interactive timeline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: My Kellogg experience: An interactive timeline
Ben Dowell spent more than nine years in the US Army, a span that included combat deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. His dream, though, was to become an investment banker. So in 2013, Dowell left the Army and enrolled in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year MBA Program. Since then he’s been elected President of the Kellogg Student Association (KSA), secured an internship —and ultimately a job — with Robert W. Baird & Co., traveled to Ireland and Scotland with his classmates, and much, much more. Oh yeah, and he received a Challenge Coin from President Barack Obama.

Tour Ben’s interactive timeline to see how he shaped his Kellogg experience and how you can shape yours.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: banking, international travel, internship, investment banking, Kellogg Student Association, Kellogg Veterans Association, kwest, Student Experience, Two-Year MBA Program Image

Director
Director
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 11:14
R1 folks - does kellogg do "rolling decisions"... or is it all on one day?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GRE 1: Q161 V160
GPA: 3.89
WE: Project Management (Other)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 11:18
angelfire213 wrote:
R1 folks - does kellogg do "rolling decisions"... or is it all on one day?

All on one day...Declines. Acceptances. Waitlists. Round 2 is March 25

...if your phone rings on that day, it's probably good news...everyone else is updated through email by 5:00 pm.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 13:31
My interview is longer than that, but was also very casual. Also most of the times my interviewer was talking, sharing his learning with me... I guess that is why people always recommend applicants go for the on-campus interview with Adcom, if possible. I am actually curious about the instructions each alumnus was given before the interview. I have no idea how they could keep their interview quality in consistency, so I am not sure how important a role this interview plays in their application process.

Toronto2015 wrote:
I'm slightly concerned that everyone had shorter interviews than me, but it was probably just the style of my interviewer. My interviewer is an investment banker and the interview was located in a private hangout space off of the lobby of his work building. He said he wanted the interview to be more conversational and informal, but he was very formal and serious. Didn't ask a lot of follow up questions or make comments, but he did laugh at my attempts at humour. When I asked him questions about Kellogg, that's when he spoke more and gave long answers. Was worried that he may have found me boring, but when he answered my questions he referenced things that I had said (apparently he did similar volunteer work as me while at Kellogg). Overall, the interview lasted about 20 minutes.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 14:00
kwok007 wrote:
My interview is longer than that, but was also very casual. Also most of the times my interviewer was talking, sharing his learning with me... I guess that is why people always recommend applicants go for the on-campus interview with Adcom, if possible. I am actually curious about the instructions each alumnus was given before the interview. I have no idea how they could keep their interview quality in consistency, so I am not sure how important a role this interview plays in their application process.

Toronto2015 wrote:

My interview was also a lot longer (just over an hour). However, I really like the alumni based interviews. Kellogg is very proud that they are a student-run and student-driven program, and I think their interview structure represents who they are better than strictly Adcom interviews would. Also, interviews with alumni/students are another touch point to learn more about the program and culture. They shouldn't be just a one way street. When you meet with a current or former student, you really get a better perspective. Also, I like how Kellogg tries to match their alumni with prospective students either by program (MMM/MBA), past industry, future industry, or some other metric. I know that after the interviews their alumni have to fill out an online form, so that is how they try to keep things consistent.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 09:31
I'm going to be out of the country on 3/25. Do you all think its presumptuous to email admissions to let them know? In the case that I get a phone call (fingers crossed) I don't want them to think I'm ignoring them! Was anyone in R1 in this situation?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 09:35
luckyducky7 wrote:
I'm going to be out of the country on 3/25. Do you all think its presumptuous to email admissions to let them know? In the case that I get a phone call (fingers crossed) I don't want them to think I'm ignoring them! Was anyone in R1 in this situation?

Personally I would not email them. I'm sure they won't think that you are ignoring them, and it's not like you will lose your admission offer if you do not answer. If anything, tie your phone's voicemail to Google Voice so you will get an email with the transcribed voicemail, and then use skype international calling to call them back when you can.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 24 Feb 2015, 09:35

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  83   84   85   86   87  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap