GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 23:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.96
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2015, 09:31
Got an invite today for a Skype interview.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 02:37
Question:
My email reads: The Admissions Committee would like to arrange a Skype interview with you. Please follow the instructions below to schedule your interview within one week.
To me this means that I have one week to complete the act of "scheduling an interview" (i.e. I can call them in 5 days to arrange a Skype call in a fortnight) but can someone clarify that the intent is not in fact for me to complete my interview within the next week.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 06:54
OK after the e-mail glitch issue, Anyone wants to share his/her experience about skype interview with adcom?

Noone? :?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 07:04
worthatry wrote:
Question:
My email reads: The Admissions Committee would like to arrange a Skype interview with you. Please follow the instructions below to schedule your interview within one week.
To me this means that I have one week to complete the act of "scheduling an interview" (i.e. I can call them in 5 days to arrange a Skype call in a fortnight) but can someone clarify that the intent is not in fact for me to complete my interview within the next week.

Thanks

You will have to call them up and schedule your interview within this time frame. The Admissions office will give you a couple of dates on which to schedule your interview. You will have to confirm on the dates.
Manager
Manager
My look at life as a venture capitalist  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: My look at life as a venture capitalist
The Kellogg Venture Capital Investment Challenge (VCIC) was first introduced during the 2012-2013 academic year, and is sponsored by the Kellogg Innovation & Entrepreneurship Initiative (KIEI). The purpose of the challenge is to select the team that will represent Kellogg in the national VCIC, run by the Kenan-Flagler Business School of the University of North Carolina.

In advance of the Kellogg VCIC, students receive training on how venture capital firms conduct due diligence, prepare term sheets and negotiate with entrepreneurs. The competition draws upon the Kellogg alumni community, as well as Chicago area venture capitalists and entrepreneurs, providing students with the opportunity to gain real-world feedback during mock negotiations. The Kellogg 2012-13 team secured the top spot in the Venture Capital Investment Challenge central region competition.

This year, a team of five students took first place in the competition, and will represent Kellogg at this year’s regional competition, held today at the University of Texas. Ty Findley (far left in the picture above), one of the winning team members, discusses the value of the experience and what he’s learned about venture capital, below.

Written by Ty Findley

As someone interested in working in Venture Capital after Kellogg, the Venture Capital Investment Competition (VCIC) offered the perfect opportunity to put a lot of Kellogg academic preparation into action. From the Venture Capital prep seminar to the difficult case studies in Entrepreneurial and Venture Capital Finance, Kellogg is doing an excellent job providing me with the foundational skills required to think like a venture capitalist during the competition.

Our team was able to refine our diligence techniques on actual Chicago startups and ultimately justify our investment decisions to local venture capitalist judges, who scrutinized everything from our valuation methodology to the term sheets we crafted.

To take it a step further than the classroom variables, the judges actually critiqued our ability to connect with the entrepreneurs on a personal level. They also assessed how we handled a live negotiation round to craft a win/win relationship between our team and the startup going forward.

The competition structure was truly reflective of the daily reality that venture capitalists live in, and it was a privilege to have an experiential learning opportunity like this to learn from their insights.

Through the rigors of the competition, our team took away many lessons that we will take forward in our careers. Below are a few noteworthy takeaways:

• The power in having a diversified skill-set among VC partners
  • How to leverage multiple valuation models to value an early-stage company
  • Crafting a term sheet reflective of risk levels and geographic preferences
  • Deeply understanding a management team’s strengths and skill gaps
  • Rapidly aligning diligence efforts toward the company’s biggest risks
Overall, we learned a ton about Venture Capital, made some great industry contacts and had a blast as a team working with each other. Now off to the Austin Regional and build on our ultimate hopes to bring home the first ever Kellogg VCIC International Championship.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Student Life Tagged: entrepreneurship, Innovation, KIEI, student competition, Venture Capital, venture capitalist Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 15:09
So I had my on-campus interview today with a member of the adcom and I just realized that somehow I forgot my interviewer's name. In order to send them a thank you note, should I call admissions to get their name/email or that would be a stupid idea?
Thanks!

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
WE: General Management (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 05:04
Need an urgent advice. I am a r2 applicant. I have some important updates in my profile and I am just wondering whether I should share it or not with the ad com. I have got a promotion, got a recognition by leading industry body and have taken gmat. Applied earlier though GRE Overall percentile in gmat has slightly improved.

I am already done with interview and I am an Indian applicant. AFAIK for Indian applicant an interview is not that common so they must have liked the profile and hence interviewed me. However, I believe that the updates are primarily meant for waitlisted candidates. Do they really look at the updates of non WL candidates? Or will they feel that candidate believes he is weak and that's why submitting update. Just confused. Please advice
Director
Director
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 05:20
don't think it will make them think you think you are weak - but you have to dig around the site to see their policy on updates. every school is different.
Mofs4ebs wrote:
Need an urgent advice. I am a r2 applicant. I have some important updates in my profile and I am just wondering whether I should share it or not with the ad com. I have got a promotion, got a recognition by leading industry body and have taken gmat. Applied earlier though GRE Overall percentile in gmat has slightly improved.

I am already done with interview and I am an Indian applicant. AFAIK for Indian applicant an interview is not that common so they must have liked the profile and hence interviewed me. However, I believe that the updates are primarily meant for waitlisted candidates. Do they really look at the updates of non WL candidates? Or will they feel that candidate believes he is weak and that's why submitting update. Just confused. Please advice
Current Student
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 03:50
Dienekes wrote:
So I had my on-campus interview today with a member of the adcom and I just realized that somehow I forgot my interviewer's name. In order to send them a thank you note, should I call admissions to get their name/email or that would be a stupid idea?
Thanks!

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking the admissions office, simply ask, I'm sure they wouldn't hold back this information.

I haven't check Kellogg's website for the information, but maybe they have a list of Adcom's and pictures on their site as well?
Manager
Manager
Keeping a finger on the pulse of media and entertainment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Keeping a finger on the pulse of media and entertainment
Two teams of Kellogg students recently escaped Chicago’s winter for the sun in Los Angeles to compete in the Media and Entertainment Case Competition at UCLA’s Annual Pulse Conference.

The conference hosted a series of panels that spanned the gamut of media and entertainment industries. With representatives from Hulu, Lionsgate, Spotify, and Live Nation, just to name a few, the conference certainly wasn’t lacking on insight from impactful leaders.

This year was the first year UCLA incorporated a case competition into the conference. Paramount Pictures sponsored the event, challenging teams to create a strategy to overcome diminishing margins in a world of mobile media consumption and streaming services. Sixteen teams from nine different schools were put to the task. Our team was really excited to tackle this prompt since each of us shares a passion for navigating the tumultuous digital media landscape.

Each team was given a week to come up with a solution to the prompt. We then presented to a panel of judges that included representatives from Paramount, UCLA Anderson and other industry experts. From our brainstorming process up until we put the finishing touches on our presentation, we came away with a handful of valuable insights.

IN A WORLD INCREASINGLY DRIVEN BY DATA – DON’T LOSE SIGHT OF PRACTICALITY!

As consumer data becomes simpler to aggregate and analyze by the day, it is easy to get swept up in what the numbers tell you. While data can certainly lead to informative and actionable insights, it is important to always step back and ask, “But will this work in the real world?” We believe this mindset is something that set our team apart – we shut down a few of our own ideas that, on paper, seemed bulletproof. But when we asked ourselves, “Would I actually do this if I were the consumer?” the answer sometimes was a resounding no.

DON’T BE AFRAID TO GO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD

Ideas can sometimes feel like relationships. Once you commit to one it can be difficult to cut it loose and explore alternative possibilities. Our team spent the first half of the week building out an idea that revolved around harnessing and monetizing movie piracy. It was creative. It was disruptive. And frankly, we thought it was pretty sexy. That said, it was also completely filled with holes. It can be tough to let go of an idea that you’ve grown attached to, especially when under a time crunch, but sometimes square one is the best direction to head.

GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE IS INVALUABLE

While this one seems a bit obvious, and very few people would dispute its truth, the global perspective of our team really shone through when it came to evaluating our plan of attack. Each of our team members spent meaningful time living overseas (two of us for our entire lives). It really helped us shape our perspective of the relevance and scalability of our strategy in global markets.

Our team is grateful to have had the opportunity to compete in UCLA and Paramount’s competition and we are thrilled to have been selected as the winning team. Along with a comical (and generous) novelty check, we were all invited to interview with Paramount for a summer internship, where we could hopefully build our idea into a reality.

Libby Koerbel ’16 is a student in the Two-Year MBA program. Before coming to Kellogg, she worked as a consultant at BCG, where she spent her third year internally at Universal Music Group focused on strategy and corporate venture capital. Her list of hometowns is longer than this article, but she loves any city with live music, adventures, and creative people.

Chris Phillips ’16 is a student in the Two-Year MBA program. Most recently he was Head of Digital at Warner Music Australia, leading the label’s efforts in Digital Strategy & Business Development, Digital Marketing and Insight. His media career spans music, television, radio and consumer facing technology products. This was his first novelty check.

Matt Weiss ’16 is a student in the Two-Year MBA program. He was born in London and spent some time living in Hong Kong before ultimately settling in the United States. Before Kellogg he was working as an investment consultant in Boston. He loves music and digital media and came to Kellogg in pursuit of a career in the industry.

Anja Zhao ’15 is a student in the One-Year MBA program. She grew up in different parts of Germany and spent six years in Taipei and Shanghai. Prior to Kellogg, she worked at L’Oréal in Online Marketing and spent three years in management consulting at BCG in Berlin. Her favorite things include music, digital media, travel photography, design, people with interesting personalities and good food.

ImageImageImage
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 10:12
I am an India applicant and just received an interview waiver from Kellogg (Apparently this doesn't impact India and China candidates negatively due to the volume of applications and not enough alumni for interviewing).

Question: The email mentioned that the admissions committee will get in touch if they need further clarification on my application. Does this mean that if I am to get through, I will eventually have an interview with the admission committee? Or does it mean that they could randomly call me\ shoot out an email and I must be prepared for a short impromptu interview of sorts?
Any information here is highly appreciated.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Anderson '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 11:02
I just got a waiver myself (Indian applicant). The mail itself is optimistically worded but based on what happened in Round 1, I'm not going to be holding my breath for an invite. If it's a waiver, its most likely a ding. Again, this is based on anecdotal evidence so don't quote me on it.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 21:25
Hi,

Indian applicant here as well.Based out of Chennai.
Received an interview waiver yesterday.
Should I consider it a ding? or should I keep my fingers crossed for an interview later?
Do I need to get official GMAT scores reported from the testing agency to Kellogg along with the unofficial transcripts
that I uploaded during application submission ? :roll:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 21:44
Arnav1522 wrote:
Hi,

Should I consider it a ding? or should I keep my fingers crossed for an interview later?
Do I need to get official GMAT scores reported from the testing agency to Kellogg along with the unofficial transcripts

I also received a waiver, hence went back and read all R1 posts, no invites or admits after waivers. So time to move on i guess. :cry:
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 21:48
Arnav1522 wrote:
Hi,

Struggling with similar questions.. I've read mixed reviews. Some say it is almost like a ding.. But some others say for India\China applicants it isn't. Even Kellogg mentions that they dont review files until after the interview so I have no clue how they decided to interview some Indian applicants and send a waiver to the others.

Is it appropriate to mail the admissions office for further clarification?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 21:52
It wouldn't have felt this bad if I was interviewed and denied the admit. :cry:
Kinda sucks ;(
I called up the admissions office yesterday.They said my application is under review and need to be patient till 25/3 for the results....:(

What about the official GMAC scores?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 21:58
Trying to be optimistic.. Here's an excerpt from an interview on accepted.com with Kellogg's adCom

If you did receive an interview waiver, that is not going to negatively impact your candidacy or your chances for gaining admission to Kellogg.

There are people who are all over the world or who are military professionals who are not able to be in a certain specific place at a specific time to do the interview. This is a part of our process for us to waive interviews, move through the review of the application, and be able to get you a decision on time. What happens very frequently is that those candidates who’ve been waived the interview at the outset would be requested to do a phone interview. The phone interview is not something that a candidate can request themselves. However, if we felt that a conversation and that dialog would make a material impact in the decision that was going to be released, we would reach out to you to schedule a time for a phone interview; and they’re done liberally.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 22:11
There is nothing much that I can do now.
Fingers crossed...

Do we need to submit official GMAT scores (Via GMAC) before we get an admit?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.48
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 22:36
Indonesian re-applicant and received a waiver as well...Well, time to move on I guess and better hope for other schools :(
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 22:52
Any R1 or last year guys who can pitch in to say that they received an invite after receiving waiver. If yes, after how many days of waiver did you receive the invite?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 16 Feb 2015, 22:52

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  82   83   84   85   86  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap