GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 17:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Why Do YOU Need an MBA?

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Download Why MBA and learn how to determine your MBA goals and weave them into a compelling essay!

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 14:33
Is there anyone out there who got a waiver and was then later invited to interview? It's a week into March and I'm wondering what chance do I have of still expecting an invite, probably none :/

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Anderson '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 22:28
artemisfowl wrote:
Is there anyone out there who got a waiver and was then later invited to interview? It's a week into March and I'm wondering what chance do I have of still expecting an invite, probably none :/

I was also waived in R2 and as far as I can tell it's a ding (especially for us Indians). No one who was waived in R1 received an invite either (at least as far as I know), so chances are very, very slim.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 22:32
FurrowedBrow wrote:
artemisfowl wrote:

I was also waived in R2 and as far as I can tell it's a ding (especially for us Indians). No one who was waived in R1 received an invite either (at least as far as I know), so chances are very, very slim.

(Waived applicant here too)

I don't think that should be the case. They clearly say that they don't review the application before interview/waiver so I am not sure that waiver is a reflection on our candidature. If they want to reject us and not give out interview invites, they should just say that like all other schools.

That said, I am getting anxious now :(
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 22:39
pway wrote:
FurrowedBrow wrote:
artemisfowl wrote:

(Waived applicant here too)

I don't think that should be the case. They clearly say that they don't review the application before interview/waiver so I am not sure that waiver is a reflection on our candidature. If they want to reject us and not give out interview invites, they should just say that like all other schools.

That said, I am getting anxious now :(

I'm not sure about that... because the applications clearly go through some sort of review before they send out the invites (case in point: two people in the same city, A submitted their application way before B, but B gets an invite while A is waived). Also, I remember reading this particular blog post (it is a bit dated) and while this might be the opinion of a disgruntled applicant, some of it rang true to me.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 22:51
If it helps.. Let me add another speculation :P the 2-3 R2 Indians on this forum that i saw receiving an invite were from Mumbai.. (Please correct me if I am wrong here).. But it felt like the applicants with an alumni in their city, received an invite.. Yes, I am also getting anxious, but since it is telephonic, we could receive an invite as late as about 15th of March (again speculation).. i heard some people on the forum mention that invites could come 1-2 weeks before deadline as well..

Is there any possibility that the Video interview we submitted was sufficient and they admit us without an interview? Wishful thinking..
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 22:54
sss27 wrote:
If it helps.. Let me add another speculation :P the 2-3 R2 Indians on this forum that i saw receiving an invite were from Mumbai.. (Please correct me if I am wrong here).. But it felt like the applicants with an alumni in their city, received an invite.. Yes, I am also getting anxious, but since it is telephonic, we could receive an invite as late as about 15th of March (again speculation).. i heard some people on the forum mention that invites could come 1-2 weeks before deadline as well..

Is there any possibility that the Video interview we submitted was sufficient and they admit us without an interview? Wishful thinking..

I know of Indians who received invitations for a Skype interview (without being waived), from which I gathered that the presence or absence of alumni in a city didn't have much to do with it.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2015, 04:37
FurrowedBrow wrote:
sss27 wrote:

I know of Indians who received invitations for a Skype interview (without being waived), from which I gathered that the presence or absence of alumni in a city didn't have much to do with it.

When did they receive these invites? Same time we received our waivers? I don't know.. When Kellogg says so openly that the waiver doesn't reduce our chances.. I would like to believe that they are being honest and at least some worthy ones will get called..
Manager
Manager
Prof. Kraemer on ‘Becoming the Best’  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2015, 07:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Prof. Kraemer on ‘Becoming the Best’
Prof. Harry Kraemer does not do Q&As.

He does Q&Os.

“I have very few answers but a lot of opinions,” Kraemer said recently. One thing he is passionately opinionated about is leadership, and many of his thoughts on the topic can be found in his new book, “Becoming the Best: Build a World-Class Organization Through Values-Based Leadership,” which is available for purchase today.

In his first book, “From Values to Action: The Four Principles of Values-Based Leadership,” Kraemer showed how self-reflection, balance, true self-confidence and genuine humility are the four traits of today’s most effective leaders. In “Becoming the Best,” he explains anyone can apply these principles to become a values-based leader and help create values-based organizations.

Drawing on his own experiences as the former CEO and chairman of Baxter International, as well as those of other notable leaders and organizations – including prominent Kellogg alumni, such as Doug Conant ’76, Rick Waddell ’79 and Jai Shekawat ’96 – Kraemer lays out a pathway for understanding the principles and putting them into practice, by striving for the five bests:

• Best Self
  • Best Team
  • Best Partner
  • Best Investment
  • Best Citizen
Kraemer, who is a clinical professor of strategy at Kellogg, took time to talk about the book and what students can learn from it.

IN YOUR OPINION, WHAT ARE THE THREE BIGGEST MISTAKES PEOPLE MAKE IN THEIR ATTEMPT TO BECOME BETTER LEADERS?

Leadership really doesn’t have anything to do with titles, org charts or positions. It really is all about your ability to influence people, and the only way you can influence people is by being able to relate to them. As soon as you realize that you can relate to people, then you can lead them.

Another mistake is that people are very conscientious and want to move up within their organization. They think that to do this, I need to convince you that I’m irreplaceable, that you can’t operate without me. Rather than making yourself irreplaceable, the faster you make your replaceable, the faster you will become a leader and move through the organization. If you can’t be replaced, how can you move up in the organization? That does, however, make one big assumption: that you’re very good at what you do.

As for a third mistake, I think a lot of people have this thought: “I want to figure out a way for people on my team to like me. I really want to be liked.” If you focus on being liked, there’s a pretty high chance you won’t be respected. Interestingly enough, though, if you focus on being respected, and do it in a reasonable way, you can actually be liked.

WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING STUDENTS PURSUING THEIR MBA CAN TAKE AWAY FROM THE BOOK?

Before you lead others, you really have to figure out how to lead yourself. In the book I talk about the five “bests,” and the first “best” is becoming your best self. If I can become my best self and understand my values, what I stand for and what difference I can make, if I can wrap my head around that then I’m well on my way to being a better leader.

HOW DO YOU INCORPORATE THE LESSONS YOU DISCUSS IN THE BOOK TO YOUR TEACHING IN THE CLASSROOM?

In my Value Based Leadership course, I really focus on practice and experience. What is it like to be a GM, or manage 1,000 people, or 50,000 people? What do you do as a leader when dealing with change or controversy? I take a very practical approach.

I bring a different CEO or senior leader into class every week, so over the course of 10 weeks, students are getting a lot of different perspectives. They can learn how to lead a large organization or a small organization, one that’s public or one that’s private, one that’s for-profit or one that’s non-profit, and so on.

The goal is to provide as many different perspectives as possible. In the book I try to do the same thing.

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO A PROSPECTIVE STUDENT WHO IS CONSIDERING GETTING THEIR MBA?

Really take the time to figure out why you want to go to business school. What are you trying to accomplish? What are your goals? How does getting an MBA help you achieve your overall objectives and purpose?

WHY WOULD YOU RECOMMEND A PROSPECTIVE STUDENT PURSUE THEIR MBA AT KELLOGG?

Somebody who wants to be a leader realizes that being a good leader is about the ability to influence and relate to people, and Kellogg’s model is based on teamwork and building teams, I think Kellogg has an enormous advantage over other schools.

Additionally, if you’re going to be a leader, you want to be able to have an overall holistic, global perspective. The fact that Kellogg takes a broader perspective — so that the focus is to really understand the inner workings of a variety of disciplines — means that, in my opinion, you’re much better prepared to be a manager and leader of a global organization.

All proceeds from “Becoming the Best” will be donated to the One Acre Fund, an organization that carries out its values-based leadership in support of farmers in Africa.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Career, Student Life Tagged: Harry Kraemer, leaders, leadership, One Acre Fund, strategy, values, values-based leadership Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2015, 07:12
techitytech wrote:
kingdongwan wrote:
Can I ask AO to release decision on my application earlier before March 25th? I've got another school's offer and the final decision day is March 11th. Kellogg is my first priority school but I'm really not confident...
So does anybody here have such experience before? What did you say to AO and did you get feedback?
Many thanks.

They will not release the decision early. Also, Kellogg is one of the few schools that doesn't convey your entire (possible) scholarship package when you receive an admit decision. If scholarships would impact your decision, it may be a few weeks after the admit decision when you would find that out.

You could ask whichever school admitted you to extend their deposit deadline, or pay the deposit and view it as the cost of doing business.

If you are admitted, you will be asked to fill out FinAid forms, and only then you will know if you got scholarships or some other sort of free money along with loans etc
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2015, 07:18
Casey10026 wrote:
angelfire213 wrote:
R1 folks - does kellogg do "rolling decisions"... or is it all on one day?

All on one day...Declines. Acceptances. Waitlists. Round 2 is March 25

...if your phone rings on that day, it's probably good news...everyone else is updated through email by 5:00 pm.

I had my phone on all day long in December, granted I was driving on the road all day, but I never got a call from Kellogg and began freaking out towards the end of the day... I was +4hrs from Chicago... Around 5pm Chicago time, I got an email of acceptance... so, Idk if I missed the call or they never called me, or if I was accepted by mistake haha

Anyways, they do spend the day calling ppl, in a random order - perhaps observing time zone differences - so you will spend all day long freaking "why havent they called me yet???" Take a chill pill early morning.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2015, 07:23
kwok007 wrote:
My interview is longer than that, but was also very casual. Also most of the times my interviewer was talking, sharing his learning with me... I guess that is why people always recommend applicants go for the on-campus interview with Adcom, if possible. I am actually curious about the instructions each alumnus was given before the interview. I have no idea how they could keep their interview quality in consistency, so I am not sure how important a role this interview plays in their application process.

Toronto2015 wrote:
I'm slightly concerned that everyone had shorter interviews than me, but it was probably just the style of my interviewer. My interviewer is an investment banker and the interview was located in a private hangout space off of the lobby of his work building. He said he wanted the interview to be more conversational and informal, but he was very formal and serious. Didn't ask a lot of follow up questions or make comments, but he did laugh at my attempts at humour. When I asked him questions about Kellogg, that's when he spoke more and gave long answers. Was worried that he may have found me boring, but when he answered my questions he referenced things that I had said (apparently he did similar volunteer work as me while at Kellogg). Overall, the interview lasted about 20 minutes.

The interview serves to disqualify you rather than to qualify you... you cant "ace" an interview, unless by "acing" you consider "expressing your trueself correctly"... the AdCom uses the interview to ensure that the person they think you are from reading your application is you indeed. A "strong" interview - whatever that means - doesn't increase your chances of admissions.. it's like pass/fail

Surely, some schools use the interview to "test" you... but not Kellogg... or Booth...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 01:33
The gap between my interview and decision day is exactly 2 months to the day. The wait is killing me! :shock:
Director
Director
Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 03:03
half a month left!
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Mar 2015, 06:42
This has probably been covered, but they actually call people the day before the posted decision deadline, right? Seemed to work that way in Rd1

Edit: NVM, different school that I remembered. Looks like people got the call on the posted date for Kellogg

Originally posted by Pottsmi1 on 10 Mar 2015, 04:41.
Last edited by Pottsmi1 on 10 Mar 2015, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.42
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 06:26
The wait is just killing me
Manager
Manager
The JV Chronicles: Making Kellogg My Own Adventure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: The JV Chronicles: Making Kellogg My Own Adventure
A Kellogg spell-out in Portugal. Hanna is in the first “L.”

I was ecstatic for my boyfriend when he was accepted to Kellogg, but I couldn’t help feeling a bit apprehensive about how my experience as a Joint Venture (partner of a student) would differ from his experience as a full-time student.

Besides the fact that I had never seen snow fall from the sky and didn’t yet understand the power of earmuffs, I was worried about how well I would fit in with the Kellogg community and whether or not I was in for two years of always feeling like a bit of an outsider. I foolishly assumed the experience was not mine to define, because this was his adventure and that I was just along for the ride.

Oh how wrong I was …

No more than five minutes after we met our KWEST (Kellogg Worldwide Experiences & Service Trips) group, our leaders announced that under NO circumstances would we be allowed to discuss where we were from, where we worked or any other basic facts about our lives until the end of the trip.

I didn’t know it at the time, but this brilliant requirement would end up setting the tone for my entire Kellogg experience. From day 1, I felt treated as part of the community and valued as a friend and peer before the words “I’m not a student” could even fall out of my mouth.

During the first few weeks of school, I never once felt like I didn’t belong or that I was somehow less welcome at events because I wasn’t attending classes with the other students. I received email after email about opportunities for me to be involved in Kellogg life, not only with my partner, but also on my own as a member of the Joint Ventures community.

Three months later I found myself at a meeting with the Joint Ventures Club executive team as one of the social chairs, and a few months after that in Dean Sally Blount’s living room discussing favorite Kellogg moments with students and faculty. In between was a whirlwind year making lifelong friends, planning events, sitting on panels, attending seminars and pushing myself out of my comfort zone.

I think it speaks volumes that a school I didn’t even attend could have such a profound impact on my life.

Kellogg has inspired me to become a better leader by challenging me to never stop learning from my peers and growing as a member of a community, even when I feel uncomfortable or out of place. I’ve also learned to let go of fear when it comes to volunteering and doing things I’ve never tried that may end in failure.

I truly felt encouraged by Kellogg to make these two years my own and to learn and develop while still supporting my boyfriend and enjoying our time together.

I’ll be ending this adventure with him and I will forever be grateful for our experience here as two full-fledged members of the Kellogg community.

Hanna Michelsen works remotely for her company as an engineer while her boyfriend attends Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year MBA program. They have loved every minute of being in Evanston, but they will be returning to California in the fall and can’t wait to attend Kellogg alum events in the Bay Area!

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: joint venture, joint ventures, JV, kellogg community, Kellogg Worldwide Experiences & Service Trips, kwest, partner, spouse, Two-Year MBA Program Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 08:12
2 1/2 more weeks! I'm starting to get really nervous. Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Statistics, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 22:43
Anyone who got a waiver got an interview invite? I think it's unlikely to get one now when there are barely 2 weeks left for the decision.
Manager
Manager
Alumni Spotlight: Lisa Earnhardt ’96  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2015, 11:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Alumni Spotlight: Lisa Earnhardt ’96
A stunning 3,000 percent sales growth in the last three years. An IPO. Making Forbes’ list of “America’s Most Promising Companies.”

With those accolades, one could say that Lisa Earnhardt ’96 has had a pretty nice run since joining med-tech startup Intersect ENT as president and CEO.

Earnhardt sat down and spoke with Kellogg about her post-IPO plans for Intersect, new ways of inspiring her growing team and the challenges of driving focus to achieve impactful goals.

Lisa Earnhardt shares her insight on growing in the med tech field.

Filed under: Business Insight, Career Tagged: alumni, Alumni Spotlight, CEO, med-tech, president, Startup Image

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q46 V41

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 06:38
So hard to wait! Less than 2 weeks. Good luck everyone :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 12 Mar 2015, 06:38

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  86   87   88   89   90  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap