GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 14:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q41 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.56
WE: General Management (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 06:53
Good luck indeed :)

This is one US school I can see myself really loving.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 07:09
Calm the nerves people. Wishing the best of luck and hope to see you in the fall.
Current Student
Schools: CBS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 07:13
Will Kellogg release all decisions on one day (I think it is the 25th or 26th)? Or, do they start letting people know in the days leading up to the final date?
Manager
Manager
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 07:25
Wildabout wrote:
Will Kellogg release all decisions on one day (I think it is the 25th or 26th)? Or, do they start letting people know in the days leading up to the final date?

For round 1 it was the day of . So admitted students should get a call around 12 noon CT on 3/25 and a confirmation email around 5 in the evening
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 08:39
EndGame wrote:
Wildabout wrote:

For round 1 it was the day of . So admitted students should get a call around 12 noon CT on 3/25 and a confirmation email around 5 in the evening

i thought all admitted students got the call the day before in round 1
Manager
Manager
Rules vs. Guidelines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Rules vs. Guidelines
One of the more powerful ideas I’ve learned in my ‘Values Based Leadership’ class is understanding the power of using rules vs. guidelines in setting culture.

Culture is by far the most powerful change tool that exists. If you really want to change behavior, it is the culture you should turn to. The culture is the mixture of norms and rituals that act as the default behavior in every group or organization. There are rule-based cultures and guideline-based cultures. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. And, to analyze the difference, I thought I’d examine how I’ve approached designing my own culture.

There are many ways to think about designing culture. I think of culture as a set of habits that we incentivize, one way or another. The basic habits I’ve been working to develop have been as simple as:

• Sleep eight hours
  • Eat healthy
  • Exercise five times a week,
  • And meditate
This journey alone has taken the best part of the last four years, and I am still not done.

The first habit I sought to fix was sleeping eight hours. And my first instinct was to design a rule-based system. When the eight-hour rule didn’t work, I mandated a 5:30 a.m. compulsory wake up as a way to encourage myself to go to sleep at 9:30 p.m. This didn’t work well either; I ended up sleeping late and going into work sleep deprived.

I had a few similar experiences with attempting to exercise and meditate. These experiences taught me a couple of valuable lessons about rule-based systems. There is no doubt they are great when you just get started as they make you feel like you accomplished something. But they work on the carrot-and-stick idea of motivation. And, as modern research has demonstrated, ideas of autonomy, mastery and purpose motivate us a lot more than the carrot-and-stick model.

So, my next series of attempts were using guidelines. No punishments involved here. The first guideline was to attempt to sleep eight hours every day. One year into that, I did that most of the time.

Eating healthy was much easier and I didn’t have to try hard. Exercise was a real beast and I started in earnest in January 2013. Since then, I have averaged exercising about five times a week (typically a mix of three to four times in the gym and football [soccer] in good weather).

Meditation was much harder. After a rules-based attempt in mid 2013, I gave meditation up. However, when I worked on my “tracking my purpose” last year, meditation was an important part of what I considered my ideal personal culture. But, as I swear by guidelines these days, I didn’t attempt to force it. As I tracked my progress every week, I just resigned myself to putting in a 0 as my meditation count for the week. And, after six straight months of putting in zeros, I abruptly decided to start meditating as soon as I woke up on Monday last week. I logged into my Headspace app and got started again. I’ve been meditating every weekday since.

What changed? I think the fact that I expected meditation to be a part of my personal culture meant I had a subconscious reminder every week. Next, the fact that I didn’t force it meant that it happened out of intrinsic motivation. And, now that it is there, I have no intention of letting it slip. And, even if it does, that’s OK.

I’m sleeping, eating, exercising and meditating because I want to.

That’s just how I like leading my life (“This is how we do things here” is the all powerful statement of culture).

It is that realization that makes a guideline-based culture incredibly powerful. In some ways, the guiding principle of a guideline-based culture is: “I trust you to do the right thing in the long term. And if you don’t, be kind to yourself and come back and fix it tomorrow.”

It is as empowering as it gets.

PS: The MBA Learnings series is an example of a guideline. There is one per week. I aim to do it on a certain day each week. But the one-per-week guideline is much more important than the same-day rule idea.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Student Life Tagged: culture, guidenlines, leadership, MBA Learnings, rules, values-based leadership Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 15:36
luckyducky7 wrote:
2 1/2 more weeks! I'm starting to get really nervous. Good luck to everyone!

Yup - same. Either we both get good news and end up in Evanston or we see each other in Durham?!
Intern
Intern
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 19:02
9 days left folks! Any video date changes? Mine has not moved since January... I am wondering whether the bug has been fixed.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 21:52
I find it really weird that will just 9 days remaining for results, nobody who received an initial waiver has reported an invite!! If they wanted to ding us, they should have just done that :(

Can anyone from R1 shed light on what is the latest we can hope to get an invite?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 01:39
stesa wrote:
9 days left folks! Any video date changes? Mine has not moved since January... I am wondering whether the bug has been fixed.

Was wondering the same too, no movement on mine!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 04:06
Guys, I have a question, I appreciate your guidance!

I have a close friend following a PhD in Northwestern Economics, the neighbour of Kellogg. I know, we are nearly at the end but we still have 9 days :-D
I want to know whether it helps, in any way, for my decision (even just +1 pts) if I make my friend to send a support letter on my behalf. If so, what do you recommend about format?

Thanks very much in advance. :wink:
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Mar 2015, 13:15
Edit

Originally posted by BillyBudd22 on 16 Mar 2015, 07:14.
Last edited by BillyBudd22 on 16 Mar 2015, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 07:21
SC29 wrote:
stesa wrote:

Was wondering the same too, no movement on mine!

Mine has not changed either.
Manager
Manager
Analytics in sports: The key is communication  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 10:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Analytics in sports: The key is communication
Kellogg students meet with former NBA player Shane Battier.

A group of Kellogg students and I recently attended the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston, and two things became clear: the sports industry is fundamentally changing and analytics is playing a part in that transformation.

In many ways, professional and collegiate sports have never been more popular or brought in more revenue. However, there are many threats to the sports industry, including health concerns such as concussions or the rise of Tommy John surgery. There are also growing external pressures, such as the push to allow the legalization of sports betting in the United States, as it is legal in many other countries.

Given the growing number and complexities of challenges facing the sports industry, there was a noticeable wave of recent MBA graduates at the conference making inroads at a variety of teams and league offices, particularly those that are more analytically advanced companies. These organizations see the value of utilizing quantitative and business savvy MBA students to help address these issues. This was helpful for many of the Kellogg students in attendance who want to transition into the sports industry and are trying to find opportune ways to do so.

We found that a key way to differentiate yourself is being able to communicate analytics. There are a lot of smart people who can perform data mining and analytics, but not all can communicate the results effectively to non-tech savvy and/or skeptical players and personnel. There was a clear theme throughout the weekend that analytics is only one aspect of the decision-making process, which bodes well for MBA students who not only have the technical know-how, but also have finance, marketing, accounting and other business skills.

I think these takeaways will help shape the Kellogg Sports Business Club and Conference as we continue to better position and educate our MBA students for the roles most suited for their skill sets.

While the session topics were of high quality and variety, I think the best value from the conference was the personal interactions with company representatives. Learning how former MBA students transitioned successfully into the sports industry was helpful because it demonstrated that this career pivot could be done and that MBAs can add value to sports organizations.

Now that my fellow attendees and I have greater insight into the latest issues in the sports industry, we are that much more ready to contribute at a high-level within these organizations. The key is to keep a balanced approach in which analytics is a key tool, but not always the sole determinant for a particular decision, and that being able to communicate the importance of analytics is even more important than the analytics themselves.

Nathan Pohle ’16 is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year MBA Program. After completing his undergraduate degree at UW-Madison in 2007, Nathan has spent the last seven years as an Actuarial consultant at Deloitte helping insurance companies across a wide range of consulting and audit engagements. Nathan is passionate about sports and finding innovative ways to apply data/analytics to improve fitness, nutrition and the overall sports experience.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Student Life Tagged: analytics, Conference, sports, sports business, Sports Business Club, sports business conference Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 11:54
Mstr wrote:

I have a close friend following a PhD in Northwestern Economics, the neighbour of Kellogg. I know, we are nearly at the end but we still have 9 days :-D
I want to know whether it helps, in any way, for my decision (even just +1 pts) if I make my friend to send a support letter on my behalf. If so, what do you recommend about format?

The two you sent should be enough. They do not encourage any additional letters of reccomendation and that is clearly stated on the website. I wouldn't mess around at the last min.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 11:55
EndGame wrote:
Mstr wrote:

The two you sent should be enough. They do not encourage any additional letters of reccomendation and that is clearly stated on the website. I wouldn't mess around at the last min.

Agreed - I've heard of people doing this if they've been waitlisted, but at this point it's probably not worth the effort.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 12:01
BillyBudd22 wrote:
Hi All,

If you were awarded a full-scholarship fellowship or a significant merit scholarship...is this something that you should let another school know, particularly if you are on the waitlist? Specifically:

a) should you update a school that has not provided a decision yet with this information?
b) if you are placed on a waitlist, should you include this in your "update e-mail"?

Thanks for the help

I am confused - are you trying to negotiate a scholarship or to get off of the waitlist?
updates comprise significant changes in work titles/ responsibilities or similar accomplishments in the extra curriculars you spoke of in your application. I am not sure if an acceptance at one school will change how another school feels about your candidacy. People do use scholarships from one to negotiate with another but that is when you have admits from both.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 12:50
BillyBudd22 wrote:
Hi All,

If you were awarded a full-scholarship fellowship or a significant merit scholarship...is this something that you should let another school know, particularly if you are on the waitlist? Specifically:

a) should you update a school that has not provided a decision yet with this information?
b) if you are placed on a waitlist, should you include this in your "update e-mail"?

Thanks for the help

If you were awarded a full fellowship from another university, this is certainly not something you would send to Kellogg in an attempt to improve your waitlist chances. It would at best not help, and at worst be seen as wildly inappropriate.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V165
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 12:59
It depends on the tone. If it is more of small note, saying "Hey I spoke to this guy and he is great for Kellogg. He fits with our culture, etc." However, your friend is not at Kellogg. This should come from a student or alumni and it shouldn't be more than 300 words. If not it can be taken as a recommendation letter.

EndGame wrote:
Mstr wrote:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V165
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 13:00
It depends on the tone. If it is more of small note, saying "Hey I spoke to this guy and he is great for Kellogg. He fits with our culture, etc." However, your friend is not at Kellogg. This should come from a student or alumni and it shouldn't be more than 300 words. If not it can be taken as a recommendation letter.

EndGame wrote:
Mstr wrote:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 16 Mar 2015, 13:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  87   88   89   90   91  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap