Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:08 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall'08 applicants [#permalink]
Found another one in the profile section

Kellogg R2: 16 applicants
kryzak: Pt II Submitted & Interviewed
CerealsMBA: Pt II Submitted
bkk145: In progress
dosa: Pt II submitted
pandeyrav: Pt II Submitted; Interviewed 01/17
togafoot: ptII Submitted
branson: Pt II Submitted & Interviewed
trojan812: ptII submitted
sperinko: ptII submitted; Interview scheduled 1/26
bewakoof: ptII submitted
terry12: Pt II submitted
ryguy904: Pt II submitted, interviewed 1/20
livehard:
JDMBA: for the JD/MBA program
malumier:
mantymooney:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
I never added myself oops

Kellogg R2: 17 applicants
kryzak: Pt II Submitted & Interviewed
CerealsMBA: Pt II Submitted
bkk145: In progress
dosa: Pt II submitted
pandeyrav: Pt II Submitted; Interviewed 01/17
togafoot: ptII Submitted
branson: Pt II Submitted & Interviewed
trojan812: ptII submitted
sperinko: ptII submitted; Interview scheduled 1/26
bewakoof: ptII submitted
terry12: Pt II submitted
ryguy904: Pt II submitted, interviewed 1/20
livehard:
JDMBA: for the JD/MBA program
malumier:
mantymooney:
futuredukemba: Pt II submitted, interviewed 12/10
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Is there a difference between the on-campus or off-campus interview? Is one better than the other? With whom do you interview on-campus?
Current Student
Send PM
I preferred the on-campus option since I'd never visited campus before and I was in town. Do what works for you. I interviewed with someone on the AdCom, but I also saw 2nd years doing interviews. Luck of the draw, I suppose.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
There is no difference between interviewing on and off campus. I interviewed with an alum and was admitted, as are many other people. I think at Kellogg the interviews hold far less weight than at other schools. They interview almost every single person, definitely a far cry from Haas who only interviewed 20% of applicants this year.

If you can make it to campus and are curious what its like then go for it. But dont think that interviewing with an alum is going to be worse. Actually interviewing with an adcom is a double edge sword...yes you may greatly impress them but you could also mess up. Messing up with an alum isnt going to have the negative impact that messing up with a person reviewing your essay would.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Just an FYI...

I went to an admitted students reception for Kellogg and an adcom member there (can't remember exactly who) said that applications are WAY up. She wouldn't saw by how much though when asked. She also said that she's "never seen such an impressive group" before....then again, she could have been saying that to butter us up....but there you have it. She also touched on the recruiting season - said that recruiting is still is full force despite the recession worries. Maybe Kellogg has had limited exposure because of the kinds of firms that recruit there, but I have a sneaking suspicion that banks/any kind of financial firm are recruiting less there than they were before.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I know some of the big MC and IB companies have recruiting schedules on their career sections of the websites and its amazing how often they go to some of the schools. Morgan Stanley is at Chicago GSB like every week or two for 3 months, and at Kellogg almost as much...which is very impressive considering Kellogg is not known as a finance powerhouse like GSB. MC firms are there just as often, and typically are the big hirer at Kellogg...and no students at any school have said anything about those guys slowing down hirings.

I wonder if they will quantify numbers during DAK. There is talk of a lot of top schools having 20-40% increases. If thats true then getting in is an even more impressive feat. It would be nice to get a little inside info during that. I mean Chicago GSB kids can see every person that got in.

Apollo, you made a decision yet since you are the one and only GSB and Kellogg admit...or are you waiting to hear about scholarships and attend admit weekends.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Definitely waiting to hear about scholarships and attend the admit weekends. I went to a Chicago GSB non-school sponsored "social" for people who live in Chicago this weekend. Met some cool dual Kellogg-Chicago admits that seem to be leaning toward Kellogg, but are also waiting until after admit weekends to make their decisions. Also met a nice girl at the Kellogg reception that is seriously considering turning down Harvard for Kellogg. Very interesting!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
I was at the same event -- The adcom member who said apps were up was Beth Flye, Kellogg’s Assistant Dean and Director of Admissions and Financial Aid. Very nice person.

I met one individual who like Luna, got into both. I could not tell where this person was leaning.

There were a ton of alums so I recommend all the admits attend the Meet & Greet in your city. The only negative in Chicago is that there were quite a few alums from non-full time programs (Part Time, EMBA, two week management Kellogg boot camps, etc.). It was pretty awkward asking an alum 'Where did you go for KWEST?' and hearing 'Uh, i was part of the two-week management seminar.' ...At the end of the evening, Kellogg AdCom received numerous suggestions to include the program each alum graduated from on the nametag. So hopefully this issue will be eliminated in the future.

As Luna said, recruiting has not been affected. But I think the real test will be in the Fall for full time hires in the Class of 09.

Overall, I loved the Meet & Greet. It got me pumped about Kellogg and I met some truly exceptional people.

ApolloLuna wrote:
Just an FYI...

I went to an admitted students reception for Kellogg and an adcom member there (can't remember exactly who) said that applications are WAY up. She wouldn't saw by how much though when asked. She also said that she's "never seen such an impressive group" before....then again, she could have been saying that to butter us up....but there you have it. She also touched on the recruiting season - said that recruiting is still is full force despite the recession worries. Maybe Kellogg has had limited exposure because of the kinds of firms that recruit there, but I have a sneaking suspicion that banks/any kind of financial firm are recruiting less there than they were before.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
guys, want to get your opinions.

I just got the "your interview is waived because we have too many applicants in your area" email from kellogg adcom. Now it might be a bad sign, or maybe its nothing, but it sure as heck ain't good. Especially for me, since my stats are mediocre at best, and I was counting on the interview to give my app a positive boost. I am generally a very good interviewer, and I think with an interview i can better demonstrate my fit with the kellogg culture, which they care so much about.

I guess I can request a campus interview, however I am international and can't really travel half way around the world at this point. Do you guys think I should try again to request an interview, or maybe tell them I am open to interviewing in a nearby country?

thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[quote="aceman626"]guys, want to get your opinions.

I just got the "your interview is waived because we have too many applicants in your area" email from kellogg adcom. Now it might be a bad sign, or maybe its nothing, but it sure as heck ain't good. Especially for me, since my stats are mediocre at best, and I was counting on the interview to give my app a positive boost. I am generally a very good interviewer, and I think with an interview i can better demonstrate my fit with the kellogg culture, which they care so much about.

I guess I can request a campus interview, however I am international and can't really travel half way around the world at this point. Do you guys think I should try again to request an interview, or maybe tell them I am open to interviewing in a nearby country?

thanks.[/quote]

how long did it take for you to get interview related email?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
It seems like they are waiving a lot more interviews than in the past...this is most likely due to the large increase of applicants. Depending where you live they may not actually have alums to do interviews at all or only a few and far more applicants than they can get to. A waived interview is not a bad thing at the moment. Once they go through your file if you are going to be considered for admissions they will set up a phone interview.

Kellogg's interviews dont hold the weight that interviews hold at other schools, where you have to jump over a large hudle to get an interview and thus the interview can be a deciding factor. They interview 90% of all applicants and its just another small piece of their puzzle, so an interview no matter how perfect wont get you and no matter how bad probably wont keep you out (unless you say something horrible or racist).

I would not be surprised if Kellogg switches to an invite system like some other schools have done recently. A huge jump in the number of applications really puts a huge added load on the adcoms by trying to interview everyone. It could be worth the effort to say you are willing to travel to a place they can accomodate you, even if they wont arrange that, at least it will show them you are very serious about the school.

aceman I safely assume you are applying how about you gmat2gmat...trying to keep the list of applicants updated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
yes river i am applying. thanks for your advice. You have been very helpful thus far. For the other person asking my timeline, I applied the day before the deadline for both Part 1 and Part 2. (if that's a problem, Kellogg should've indicated to us clearly that interviews are on a first come first serve basis)

Now for for my general rant...it seems very unfair, under the precondition that everyone can request an interview (NOT an invite-only policy), that some are interviewed and some are not. While some may say that an interview might not matter that much for Kellogg, i'm sure it carries some weight or otherwise they wouldn't have it. There is no point to go through the tremendous trouble to set interviews up, taking time and resources from everyone, if its not somewhat important. It's like, if you have an extra leadership position, or 30 more points on your gmat, or .3 higher GPA, you would take right right? Anything to give yourself the extra edge, and in this competitive process, a slight edge may be all you need to secure a spot. For me, the interview is my edge. If they want to waive somebody, they should waive the superstars that are sure-admits that they'd take regardless, and give the spots to people on the bubble (like myself) so we can have a chance to prove ourselves.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
The problem with interviews by alums and students is there is such a variation on the interviewer. Someone could give a stellar write up for a crappy interview just because they want to be nice, while someone else could be extremely harsh on someone who did well. Interviews probably are important for the people truly on the bubble, and if you are one of these folks that they are considering admitting they will set up a phone interview. As long as they are willing to consider you on the basis of your application packet they will interview you. However if, based on the package, they arent going to admit you...then no matter how great an interview is its not going to sway their decision. That would be like a person with a 780 GMAT getting in just because they had a 780 GMAT, its not going to happen.

The do set up a lot of phone interviews though, so dont worry about it yet.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
It seems like they are waiving a lot more interviews than in the past...this is most likely due to the large increase of applicants. Depending where you live they may not actually have alums to do interviews at all or only a few and far more applicants than they can get to. A waived interview is not a bad thing at the moment. Once they go through your file if you are going to be considered for admissions they will set up a phone interview.

Kellogg's interviews dont hold the weight that interviews hold at other schools, where you have to jump over a large hudle to get an interview and thus the interview can be a deciding factor. They interview 90% of all applicants and its just another small piece of their puzzle, so an interview no matter how perfect wont get you and no matter how bad probably wont keep you out (unless you say something horrible or racist).

I would not be surprised if Kellogg switches to an invite system like some other schools have done recently. A huge jump in the number of applications really puts a huge added load on the adcoms by trying to interview everyone. It could be worth the effort to say you are willing to travel to a place they can accomodate you, even if they wont arrange that, at least it will show them you are very serious about the school.

aceman I safely assume you are applying how about you gmat2gmat...trying to keep the list of applicants updated.

I had my interview on Sunday in Los Angeles with adcom. She said that normally they don't come out here, but since there was such a large volume of applicants from the area, Kellogg didn't want to place too much pressure on the alum. She spent Thurs-Tues in LA, interviewing about 6-7 per day. Prior to coming to LA, she was in San Diego conducting interviews.

Major props to those that have been accepted Rd1. It looks like this is going to be an EXTREMELY competitive year.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
hrm... the competition is in tense... 20+% increases at many schools so far... dunno about my chances at Kellogg now. That will definitely make the decision easier :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
hrm... the competition is in tense... 20+% increases at many schools so far... dunno about my chances at Kellogg now. That will definitely make the decision easier :P

with every passing day, i lose a little bit of my optimism and give in that much to pessimism. although i will wait until march before losing all hope and starting to reapply.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  53   54   55   56   57  ...  100