Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:16 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 363
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V23
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 4: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 5: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1048 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Re: Calling All Michigan Ross MBA Applicants: 2023 Intake (Class of 2025) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
raj94knp wrote:
Hello guys and mentors,

Hope this message finds you all well.

I took the GMAT few days ago and seeking evaluation of my profile for Ross. Whether I should apply? Any suggestion is highly welcomed. I am providing here some of the key details about my profile

GMAT: 720 ( V37, Q50, AWA 4, IR 8 ) :

Acads:

Graduation: B.Tech In Chemical Engineering, from a reputed state engineering college in Kanpur(U.P.) 76.54%, Year: 2016
• Secured 3 offers after graduation (Among 3 out of 65 in the batch who were able to do so
• Co-founded, with my batch mate, a coaching institute to teach engineering subjects to students from different engineering institutes in my city; At one time we were teaching more than 50 students from 4 different institutes.
• Led the final year group project and secured 92% marks for my group by collaborating and appropriately delegating tasks

XII: 83.4% (UP Board) Year: 2011
• Recognized by Dept of Education, Gov of UP, India for Excellent academic performance in 12th across all public schools.

X: 72.67% (UP Board) Year: 2009

Work Ex:

Working in an Indian Oil and Gas PSU in Since 2016 ( 7+ years of Ex)
Assistant manager: 2020- present
• Saved approximately USD 500K (through efficiency improvement in APC, a process control matrix, performance from 74 % to 97 %) by redefining KPIs for APC matrix, in collaboration with APC vendor and process monitoring department.
• Avoided potential loss of USD 700-900K (in form of equipment damage, maintenance and lost production hours) by mentoring the team of twenty eight, through mock drills, in dealing with high stress emergency situations such as power or utility failure.
• Brought annual saving of USD 80K by conceptualizing the modification scheme concerning oil loss conservation.
• Co-led the timely completion of commissioning activities of LPG treatment unit, a USD 1 million project, by consistently meeting deadlines for individual milestones within the project, which would save USD 500K worth chemicals.
• Developed standardized format for log-books by reassessing monitoring scope and by clearly defining monitoring objectives, resulting in reduced breakdown frequency of equipment – the format that is recommended as template for other units

Production Engineer : 2016-2020
• Conceptualized and implemented an energy conservation scheme that enabled the extraction of energy from a hot stream to its full potential, reducing fresh oil consumption in the unit (Saving US$ 700K annually).
• Planned and facilitated periodic maintenance of more than 100 static and dynamic equipment, bringing down breakdown frequency of equipment by more than 60%.
• Drafted and Co-led the implementation of lean concepts such as 5s and TPM in my unit, eliminating waste and redundancy in overall process of supply chain.
• Even with limited resources during COVID-19, managed to ensure uninterrupted supply chain by sharing and delegating additional responsibilities among peers and supporting staff.
• Led the team of 32 members of supporting staff and ensured collaboration among the cross functional team of 15 members, achieving the highest on-stream days (370 days against usual 300 days) in past one decade with capacity utilization rate of nearly 100%.

Ex Curricular:
E-Vidyaloka (An NGO dedicated to improve quality of education across rural India through digital means)
• Helping kids of class 6th- 8th in improving their basics of mathematics in fun and interactive way and recording their progress through class assignments and verbal tests that has shown visible improvement in their understanding.
• Volunteering for Transliteration and Translation of study material from regional languages to English to provide volunteer teachers from all walks of life access of resources that can be incorporated in their respective sessions.
Toastmasters International (Member of two clubs - Sunday Brunch Masters and Toastmaster for Professionals)
• Hosted multiple club meetings and recognized as best toastmasters, best topic masters many times in these club meetings.
• Initiated practice of logging evaluator’s observations in meeting, setting agenda accordingly for next one on both individual and group level and gauging improvements in next meeting, the practice that helped in better keeping track of progress.
• Mentored new members in enrolling pathways learning program and subsequently in drafting speeches.
Others
• Provided strategic assistance to my brother in running his edible oil trading business; helped him in reducing credit default risk through risk distribution and strategically developing credit history.

Post MBA Goals:
In long terms, Transition from core operations to strategic side of business. In short terms, join an organization for roles such as leadership development role/general management or operations consulting to get the holistic experience of the entire product cycle.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Rajat

Hi Rajat,

Good profile overall. I see that you have retaken the GMAT since your post. A 730 score is much better to apply with and I am happy you could get the score up. So, now you can peacefully move to the next big step in the admission process- the application writing itself.

Let me point out the highlights of your profile-
1. Starting a teaching institute while at college- well, its not a very uncommon initiative, but its till valuable as you are passing on your knowledge and skills to other kids and helping them in their career. Moreover, any entrepreneurial experience does push you out of your comfort zone, so there are always valuable lessons learnt there.
2. Work experience- I have worked with several people from IOCL/ BPCL/ private O&G companies so I understand the cross-functional nature of your work and the opportunities to make large-scale impact. This can help you come up with a strong resume and several leadership stories that can be highlighted through the essays and recommendations. It will be important to highlight your leadership skills such as working with people outside your influence (vendors, different departments, different levels of employees), negotiation, empathy, result orientation and taking initiatives. I assume you will have examples around these.
3. A lot of your ECAs are centered around Toastmasters, some of them being around taking leadership positions. That shows depth of involvement, which always helps show commitment and passion. Overall, I see a theme of helping other people achieve their potential, and that should help at bschools because the adcoms do seek applicants who can contribute to their peers' growth.
4. The career goals will need to be tread carefully. Your thinking is on the right path, but you would want to make sure that the companies you have in mind (specifically for leadership devt. roles) come to your target b-schools. Some bit of research with current students will help here.
So, there's a lot to extract from your profile. Packaging the info well and in a coherent manner will help your applications. Consider applying to Duke as well. I have earlier helped a guy with similar profile like yours (O&G sector, Toastmaster leader), so I know this is a target program for you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling All Michigan Ross MBA Applicants: 2023 Intake (Class of 2025) [#permalink]
Kudos
MBADecoder wrote:

Hi Rajat,

Good profile overall. I see that you have retaken the GMAT since your post. A 730 score is much better to apply with and I am happy you could get the score up. So, now you can peacefully move to the next big step in the admission process- the application writing itself.

Let me point out the highlights of your profile-
1. Starting a teaching institute while at college- well, its not a very uncommon initiative, but its till valuable as you are passing on your knowledge and skills to other kids and helping them in their career. Moreover, any entrepreneurial experience does push you out of your comfort zone, so there are always valuable lessons learnt there.
2. Work experience- I have worked with several people from IOCL/ BPCL/ private O&G companies so I understand the cross-functional nature of your work and the opportunities to make large-scale impact. This can help you come up with a strong resume and several leadership stories that can be highlighted through the essays and recommendations. It will be important to highlight your leadership skills such as working with people outside your influence (vendors, different departments, different levels of employees), negotiation, empathy, result orientation and taking initiatives. I assume you will have examples around these.
3. A lot of your ECAs are centered around Toastmasters, some of them being around taking leadership positions. That shows depth of involvement, which always helps show commitment and passion. Overall, I see a theme of helping other people achieve their potential, and that should help at bschools because the adcoms do seek applicants who can contribute to their peers' growth.
4. The career goals will need to be tread carefully. Your thinking is on the right path, but you would want to make sure that the companies you have in mind (specifically for leadership devt. roles) come to your target b-schools. Some bit of research with current students will help here.
So, there's a lot to extract from your profile. Packaging the info well and in a coherent manner will help your applications. Consider applying to Duke as well. I have earlier helped a guy with similar profile like yours (O&G sector, Toastmaster leader), so I know this is a target program for you.

Thanks, Namita for such an in-depth analysis. You have really pointed out some key aspects that I might have missed.

Regards
Rajat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
PyjamaScientist wrote:
Take these ChatGpt generated advises with a pinch of salt. Best of luck!

Oh yes, the AI effect. I will keep it in mind, Thanks, Nikhil.

Regards
Rajat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
anyone got waitlisted without interview? looking for insight on what to do to get interviewed in R2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I asked the admission team, they said only consortium one's got the invitations till date, other applicants one will get the invite in early feb, let's wait till 9th February. All the best, stay positive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GRE 1: Q168 V159
GPA: ???-
Send PM
Hi, please evaluate my profile:
X - 90.42 (ICSE)
XII - 83.08 (State Board)
BCom - 73.52 (State Uni- Top 10 college)
MCom - 80 (State Uni - Top 10 college)

College extra curriculars:
1. Head of the marketing dept of the MUN club, Jt. Secretary of the Management Club, Editor - English of the Annual College Magazine, Head of PR of the Marketing Club
2. Won story writing contests, academic prizes for individual subjects, trophy for the being the best writer of college, published 2 research papers

Work experience: 4.5 years
I have a career gap of 5 months as my parents were unwell and I had to leave my job to look after them both. Wanted to understand how this will impact my profile.

Industry: Digital and Mainline marketing
Company: Ogilvy, FCB (India offices)
Impact: Worked on Retail, finance and FMCG brands.
Current position - Account Manager
Led the end to end execution of campaigns
Was the key spoc on the accounts managed
Came up with strategy/ideas/insights for campaigns managed
Led a team of 3 solution driven executives

Other Hobbies:
1. MMA - Certified Black Belt
2. Writing - Blog with over 40K followers on Instagram, published in several anthologies

Goals: To transition over to the brand side as a brand manager post an MBA

Current GRE score - 325

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58 
Moderators:
MBA Section Director
438 posts
Ross & Kellogg Moderator
203 posts
49 posts