Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 05:25 It is currently 03 May 2024, 05:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: Yale '17 (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT-Sloan Applicants(2015 Intake) -Class of 2017 [#permalink]
fionawtj wrote:
called admission office today. They said so far they only sent out invites to California & Cambridge interview candidates. They expect more invites to be sent out to other areas starting next week. Hope it helps!

I'm a Cambridge interview candidate, so I guess that means I'm out of the running. Thanks for passing along this info.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think they are still sending out invitations for Cambridge! Don't give up!

Hokie2MBA wrote:
fionawtj wrote:
called admission office today. They said so far they only sent out invites to California & Cambridge interview candidates. They expect more invites to be sent out to other areas starting next week. Hope it helps!

I'm a Cambridge interview candidate, so I guess that means I'm out of the running. Thanks for passing along this info.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I have not heard of any San Francisco or Midwest interview invitations being sent out yet, so I doubt that all stateside invitations have been sent. Also, it is rolling invitations through mid-November, so wouldn't worry too much yet.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
fionawtj wrote:

reallllllly....hoping this is bs
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE:Analyst (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
goinggolfing wrote:
fionawtj wrote:

Got my (Boston) interview! 3PM EST today.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.62
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
oyabu wrote:
goinggolfing wrote:
fionawtj wrote:

Got my (Boston) interview! 3PM EST today.

Are you located in Boston or just interviewing there?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Alright guys- I ran some quick numbers on the interview invites that are still outstanding. Assuming that proportionally MIT interviews at the same rate as last year then MIT will send out a total of 81 invites for round 1. If 40% are international applications and assuming the probabilities are the same then 33 interview slots will be given to international and 49 for domestic applicants. Currently, 22 invites have been sent out to domestic students leaving 27 slots still outstanding (Roughly half of US invites have been sent). Hope this helps those that are still waiting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Not sure why you are using 40% for internationals. The gmatclub intake shows 14.5%. What am I missing?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
UTWrestler wrote:
Alright guys- I ran some quick numbers on the interview invites that are still outstanding. Assuming that proportionally MIT interviews at the same rate as last year then MIT will send out a total of 81 invites for round 1. If 40% are international applications and assuming the probabilities are the same then 33 interview slots will be given to international and 49 for domestic applicants. Currently, 22 invites have been sent out to domestic students leaving 27 slots still outstanding (Roughly half of US invites have been sent). Hope this helps those that are still waiting.

Just to fight a little bit... :-D
Didn't the adcom say that they would try to cover about 40% of the class in R1?
That would give us ~160 students.
If they have an admittance rate of 50% (being positive), shouldn't they send around 320 invites?

I may be very positive, or may not have understood how interview invites work, but only 81 invites for R1 seems like a bit too few for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
nachodelapor wrote:
UTWrestler wrote:

Just to fight a little bit... :-D
Didn't the adcom say that they would try to cover about 40% of the class in R1?
That would give us ~160 students.
If they have an admittance rate of 50% (being positive), shouldn't they send around 320 invites?

I may be very positive, or may not have understood how interview invites work, but only 81 invites for R1 seems like a bit too few for me.

I think he meant 81 in the gmatclub forum. Which is a reasonable estimate to make. I would suggest inflating it slightly to account for increase in penetration of the forum over the years though. I would think at least a 3-4% increase. So at least 84.

EDIT: Heyyy wait. Last year there were 93 on gmatclub invited to interviews. We should expect this (or more - taking into account increased forum penetration) this year, right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.43
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Number crunching is a good way to kill time, given that MIT is no making it any easier :pc
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Economics, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
UTWrestler wrote:

that approach proved not to be working this year, when only a third of expected gmatclub HBS and Booth candidates actually received invites
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mrsandoo617 wrote:
Not sure why you are using 40% for internationals. The gmatclub intake shows 14.5%. What am I missing?

I didn't realize it showed international applications on the GMATCLUB statistics, so I took the class profile proportions. New numbers would be 69 invites for domestic, 11 invites for international on this board total, leaving 47 invites for US applicants.

To the person saying the proportions are off because of Booth/HBS, while you may be right that last year for MIT and this year is totally different, MIT has a model driven application process and unless they drastically changed the parameters or if the population of people applying has changed then I would expect the results to be closer in line with last year than other schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
OK lets change the subject a little bit.
For those that HAVE received invites - are you "preparing" any differently for the Sloan interview?
The reason I ask is because my three previous interviews this year were "blind" (interviewer had not seen my application). At Sloan it is the complete opposite. Not only have they seen it, they will most likely ask questions about it. AND in the end, the interviewer is most likely person that makes the final admissions decision.

Thoughts?
(just so we are clear - I am not trying to start a debate - just looking to shift the discussion and get everyone's thoughts)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
michaelbrett wrote:
OK lets change the subject a little bit.
For those that HAVE received invites - are you "preparing" any differently for the Sloan interview?
The reason I ask is because my three previous interviews this year were "blind" (interviewer had not seen my application). At Sloan it is the complete opposite. Not only have they seen it, they will most likely ask questions about it. AND in the end, the interviewer is most likely person that makes the final admissions decision.

Thoughts?
(just so we are clear - I am not trying to start a debate - just looking to shift the discussion and get everyone's thoughts)

Nice! I like the shift. It should get people's minds off of waiting for invites.

Thoughts:
-Interviews should definitely be different compared to other schools because they aren't "blind". I'm guessing that interviewees should review over their applications to make sure they stay consistent with whatever they're saying or if the adcom interviewing asks for more information regarding a specific story they've told.
-If I were interviewing, I'd prepare myself for a behavioral interview where I'd have stories ready to discuss for various situations. (FYI, behavioral interview questions that are typically asked include: "Describe a time when you had difficulty with a team member" or "Describe a time when you disagreed with your boss or team leader"
-From my understanding and the interview I saw of RG in a mbapodcaster video, MIT Sloan does not care as much about a candidate's exact career goals. They appeared more concerned that the individual has the characteristics that will contribute to their class and has the potential to succeed post-MBA. Based on that, I would spend less time on what I'd want to do with an MBA and more on how I would fit in with fellow sloanies and how I have been a proven leader in the workplace.

Just some of my preliminary thoughts. Although, I haven't been invited to an interview, I hope this helps some of you that have been or gets a good discussion going!

Good luck guys!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I just came across this interview with RG - a few years old but really interesting

https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2012/12/ ... anagement/
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
michaelbrett wrote:
I just came across this interview with RG - a few years old but really interesting

https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2012/12/ ... anagement/

Found this little snippet!

Quote:
mbaMission: Okay. One of MIT Sloan’s application essays is the unique “cover letter” essay. Why do you take this approach rather than asking applicants to discuss their goals?

RG: The reason is that goals are not much of a predictor of success. We use attributes to predict our applicants’ success as graduates and as citizens of the world, and goals can and do change. It is not that we don’t value goals, but from an evaluation angle, they are just not that useful to us
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  73   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts