Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
Re: Calling all Ross 2011 applicants! [#permalink]
piggles wrote:
KingKREEP wrote:
piggles and vikx13 - I just got confirmation from Ad-com about your feedback. They are passing on your feedback to the application team and will be actively following up with them.

Btw, happy new year to all you folks!

So I'm assuming this guarantees me an admit? It's clearly very useful feedback!

Absolutely. I asked the Ad-com to look for the essays that sound like they've been written by someone who likes crazy knife wielding penguins :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
i need good word too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Guys, does one need to write something in the optional essay? I mean Ross has pretty open optional essay and although I feel I can talk about my extracurriculars and all but not sure if it is recommended here. After all it is extra burden for the adcom. Please advice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
rkn wrote:
Guys, does one need to write something in the optional essay? I mean Ross has pretty open optional essay and although I feel I can talk about my extracurriculars and all but not sure if it is recommended here. After all it is extra burden for the adcom. Please advice.

I think this is just like the optional essays for any of the other schools. If you feel like there is an important part of you that has not yet been represented, then use the optional essay. Personally, I used it for describe a challenging experience I had growing up, and how it shaped me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS (Rd2), Kellogg (Rd1), Ross (Rd2)
GPA: 3.62
WE 1: Public accounting- financial services 6 yrs
Send PM
rkn wrote:

I haven't been admitted "yet" [ hopefully will be :) ] but I agree with KingREEP- I am using the optional essay to strengthen certain aspects of my profile which I feel distinguish me from the crowd and which I could not put in any other essays for Ross..so go for it if you feel strongly about certain points. But yes- try and keep it as short as possible.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS (Rd2), Kellogg (Rd1), Ross (Rd2)
GPA: 3.62
WE 1: Public accounting- financial services 6 yrs
Send PM
peaceyall wrote:
The entrepreneurial route is less popular, but if that's your goal don't be shy about it. There are plenty of folks who want to do consulting so you can actually distinguish yourself more by talking about entrepreneurship.

I've been impressed by how strong the entrepreneurial vibe is in Michigan and there's a decent amount of stuff going on, with Ross students faring very well, particularly in the clean tech start-up space. Michigan as a state is trying to cultivate entrepreneurship. It sponsored the Accelerate Michigan competition and UofM students sweeped the student competition - https://www.acceleratemichigan.org/main. ... &nid=14410. One of the great things about Michigan is that it's interdisciplinary, so these UofM teams are composed of Ross, Erb (Ross & SNRE), and Engineering students.

Another UofM start-up in the news is Bebaring. The founder is a senior and partner is an Erber (on the cover of the UofM alumni mag). The founder, Allen Kim, just won Entrepreneur of the Year.
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/217707-3
https://ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases/story.php?id=8182

Ross is also attracting students interested in social enterprise. There's the Social Venture Fund (https://www.umsocialventure.com), one of the 3 student-run VC funds, that invests in for-profit social enterprises. And there's also a course called Social Venture Creation which launched Get Fresh Detroit, which has been garnering a lot of attention - https://www.getfreshdetroit.com/.

At Ross, there's a group of classes under "Entrepreneurial Studies" and these include New Venture Creation, among others. There's also an interdisciplinary class with the business, engineering, and design schools that's called Integrated Product Development. And there's also a club of course - Entrepreneur and Venture Club.

UofM President Mary Sue Coleman has also stated that entrepreneurship is one of the biggest opportunities for the University, so look for more to come at the university level. She's heading up the National Advisory Council on Innovation and Entrepreneurship - https://www.annarbor.com/business-review ... member-sa/.

There's plenty more to find in Ann Arbor and Detroit (TechArb, SPARK, BizdomU, TechTown, Sakti3, A123, Accio, First Step Fund...) so harness your entrepreneurial spirit and go for it.

KingKREEP wrote:
MBMB wrote:
Thanks Piggles! :) Infact I had looked at the Zell-Lurie Institute website before and am very keen on its offerings- but from the admission perspective, wasn't sure if they would like it- I might stick with the "safer" post-graduate professions and then if I get admitted i can always opt for courses from the Institute.

Best of luck to all Round 1 hopefuls who are waiting on their deicisons!

If your real goal is to start something after business school, I would highly recommend you state that in your essays. Yes, the school (and actually the University more broadly) is making a push to develop/provide entrepreneurial opportunities to students - DTE Clean energy Prize, Dare to Dream grants, Frankell Fund etc. It appears that the State of Michigan is also getting behind the university in the hope that companies founded out of school will create some much needed jobs. So by all means, feel free to stay true to your entrepreneurial goals in your essays.

Peaceyall- you've got me really excited about Ross now! There appear to be more avenues to pursue entrepreneurship at Ross that I thought! Thanks! I am going with my entrepreneurship now. That's what I see myself doing and that's what I have written about! Just submitted Ross- now all I have to do is wait patiently.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.59
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
In for R2. Goodluck everyone!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Ops/Logistics
Schools:Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
 Q44  V42
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
KingKREEP wrote:
piggles wrote:
KingKREEP wrote:
piggles and vikx13 - I just got confirmation from Ad-com about your feedback. They are passing on your feedback to the application team and will be actively following up with them.

Btw, happy new year to all you folks!

So I'm assuming this guarantees me an admit? It's clearly very useful feedback!

Absolutely. I asked the Ad-com to look for the essays that sound like they've been written by someone who likes crazy knife wielding penguins :)

Good, that was the central theme of my career vision essay.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
piggles wrote:
KingKREEP wrote:

Good, that was the central theme of my career vision essay.

you must also like sweets right?
Manager
Manager
Schools:Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Mortgage
Send PM
Am I missing something, or is there not a place in the application for extra-curricular activities? I do a lot of extra stuff that's not included on my resume; every other b-school app I've filled out so far has had a place for this. The "Activities and Honors" section is apparently only for BBA applicants.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Cleantech
Schools:Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Send PM
wmcrockett wrote:
Am I missing something, or is there not a place in the application for extra-curricular activities? I do a lot of extra stuff that's not included on my resume; every other b-school app I've filled out so far has had a place for this. The "Activities and Honors" section is apparently only for BBA applicants.

yeah, search the Ross admissions blog for a post addressing this. Basically, it says you can use your resume, essays, and interview to address extracurriculars.

Here's the link:

https://rossblogs.typepad.com/admissions ... ulars.html

Originally posted by mc on 04 Jan 2011, 13:14.
Last edited by mc on 04 Jan 2011, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
wmcrockett wrote:

From what I've read of previous posts, it needs to be part of your resume (which could be 2 pages, but isn't recommended) and/or part of your essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Fuqua (Accepted), Ross (Dinged), Haas (Dinged), Goizueta (Accepted), Boston University (Accepted), USC Marshall (Accepted)
 Q49  V42
Send PM
In for R2 - submitted my application on 16 December.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:CBS, Kellogg, Ross (w/$$), Wharton , HBS
Send PM
Anyone know when the deposit will be due for successful R1 applicants?
Manager
Manager
Schools:Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Mortgage
Send PM
w103psp wrote:
wmcrockett wrote:

From what I've read of previous posts, it needs to be part of your resume (which could be 2 pages, but isn't recommended) and/or part of your essays.

Man that's odd. I can't fit everything in my essays (and to be honest, they don't leave enough room to be able to explain all your extra-curriculars in detail AND answer the question, you need to be picking two or three at most that are the most important). What's the reasoning behind not wanting to do a 2-page resume?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Ops/Logistics
Schools:Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
 Q44  V42
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Kudos
wmcrockett wrote:
w103psp wrote:
wmcrockett wrote:

Man that's odd. I can't fit everything in my essays (and to be honest, they don't leave enough room to be able to explain all your extra-curriculars in detail AND answer the question, you need to be picking two or three at most that are the most important). What's the reasoning behind not wanting to do a 2-page resume?

See this: https://rossblogs.typepad.com/admissions ... ulars.html

Summary: Ross does care, but they really want you to highlight important items in your essays instead of listing items just to list them.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Cleantech
Schools:Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Send PM
Kudos
I used my essay #1 to briefly mention extracurriculars, and used the "passion" essay to go a little deeper.

If you can't find a spot to talk about them in depth in the essays, they probably won't have much of an impact on your application.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49  ...  183   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts