GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 20 Jan 2020, 08:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 3.51
WE: Performing Arts (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2012, 03:12
I think I'm the only person who thinks that Stanford is forthright about their process up front. I knew that if I didn't receive an invite by last week that it was probably not going to happen at Stanford. We all went into this application knowing that they do not have a mid decision release date. Do I prefer that method to Stanford's. Maybe? It does put people out of their misery sooner. But we're all insightful individuals and should be able to read the writing on the wall. Stanford interviews all admitted candidates (by invitation only). It's less than a week from the final decision day and we haven't been invited to interview. Therefore, we haven't been admitted. Does it suck? Yes, because rejection always sucks. However, I don't feel that Stanford has promised us any more info than what they've provided. They've stuck to what they said they would do. We signed up for this when we forked over $265 and hit submit.

Besides, who needs palm trees anyways ;-)[/quote]

Cheets,
I am not saying that they have stabbed us in the back by saying they will give us a decision and they didn't! I agree we signed the dotted line knowing that there is no mid-decision date but why cannot there be one? It helps give a closure to a person.

Besides, why did u assume that ur chances are there till the last week? Because someone last year got one, right? It's not that Stanford told u about it! So why can't they be forthright about the day by which they have read ALL the applications and done the initial sifting and selected the interviewees? Why give this agony till the last day.

Btw: I know of a fellow applicant who got an admit from UCLA by getting an interview invite ONLY three days before the final deadline - end Jan!! and that too when he/she had not heard anything from them on the mid-interview decision date deadline (mid Dec)! Beat that :)

Palm trees ..... Hmmmmmmm[/quote]

I get what you're saying. I figured that last week would be the end of invites because the email they sent after I submitted said they would send invites up to a week before the decision day. I didn't look through last year's thread to see when the last invite went out.

Yes I do think a mid decision day is more humane. But look at the Booth thread. There was a bunch of weeping and gnashing of teeth over that one too and it was spelled out pretty clearly when we would know by. Feb. 15 was the release date and people were asking to be put out of their misery if they weren't invited after the first 2 days. I don't think anything short of instant acceptance would satisfy people. You combine ambition with insecurity and nerves and that's pretty much your average MBA applicant. Just trying to put it into a different perspective. Besides Stanford is such a black box that any application is like a hail Mary pass. People who we think should be shoo-ins to get in don't even get interviewed while others who do get the coveted acceptance make us scratch our heads and say WTF. For all we know Stanford spreads the printed applications on its vast lawn and has a goat select which apps it likes. Maybe we were the unlucky ones and the Stanny goat didn't eat our apps. Meh, oh well.

Now the UCLA thing is just brutal. What's the point of a mid decision release date if you don't release the person you're not inviting?! That's just a mind f#$% right there.[/quote]

For real about UCLA-
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 446
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2012, 06:24
This was one of the GSB show skits, but for what I know I think it carries a lot of truth - the stanford students I know do have a "Magic Power" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km64htwAmQ0

Given that insight, what do you consider your own magic power (whether you got an interview or not). No need to share stats or job titles or employers. What have you communicated through your essays as your special strength?

Example: One person I know who got in was improving athletes - making a sports league team better. Another was at the heart of the bailout debackles, he had a great insight into modern "rescue" finance.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Mar 2012
Posts: 22
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2012, 11:16
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
This was one of the GSB show skits, but for what I know I think it carries a lot of truth - the stanford students I know do have a "Magic Power" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km64htwAmQ0

Given that insight, what do you consider your own magic power (whether you got an interview or not). No need to share stats or job titles or employers. What have you communicated through your essays as your special strength?

Example: One person I know who got in was improving athletes - making a sports league team better. Another was at the heart of the bailout debackles, he had a great insight into modern "rescue" finance.

Posted from my mobile device


That video was actually hilarious
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 446
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 07:18
MBAorLust wrote:
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
This was one of the GSB show skits, but for what I know I think it carries a lot of truth - the stanford students I know do have a "Magic Power" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km64htwAmQ0

Given that insight, what do you consider your own magic power (whether you got an interview or not). No need to share stats or job titles or employers. What have you communicated through your essays as your special strength?

Example: One person I know who got in was improving athletes - making a sports league team better. Another was at the heart of the bailout debackles, he had a great insight into modern "rescue" finance.

Posted from my mobile device


That video was actually hilarious


Here is another one (more about magic powers). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4gtbIhONn4
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Mar 2012
Posts: 22
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 08:01
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
MBAorLust wrote:
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
This was one of the GSB show skits, but for what I know I think it carries a lot of truth - the stanford students I know do have a "Magic Power" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km64htwAmQ0

Given that insight, what do you consider your own magic power (whether you got an interview or not). No need to share stats or job titles or employers. What have you communicated through your essays as your special strength?

Example: One person I know who got in was improving athletes - making a sports league team better. Another was at the heart of the bailout debackles, he had a great insight into modern "rescue" finance.

Posted from my mobile device


That video was actually hilarious



I saw that too...i think i watched 5 videos from that account..."You just have to add some color!!" lol

Here is another one (more about magic powers). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4gtbIhONn4
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2012
Posts: 61
GPA: 3.4
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 08:49
no interview means a we are ala expecting a ding...or is there a wait list possibility on the 28th??
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 58
Location: Netherlands
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 09:15
1
I think it's time to stop being optimistic and start being realistic.

Actually, it already was so one week ago.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 133
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Reviews Badge
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 09:19
axolotl wrote:
I think it's time to stop being optimistic and start being realistic.

Actually, it already was so one week ago.


Agreed
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Posts: 9
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3
WE: Design (Consumer Electronics)
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 09:42
axolotl wrote:
I think it's time to stop being optimistic and start being realistic.

Actually, it already was so one week ago.


What?

I am still optimistic...
For next year, that is.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 68
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 09:45
I've been thinking about what I could have bought with the $265 for the last couple of weeks....
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 10:23
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Really? You want Stanford to send dings throughout the process? Can you imagine waking up everyday for two months with the possibility that a status update notification that will lead to a ding could be sitting in your email?...


Actually, yes. I'd far prefer the fact it could happen at any time. If it could happen at any time, then there's no sense in worrying about it every single day. Sort of like our own mortality. Plus, the prompt answers mean I would not have to paralyze my career and life for months waiting on an answer I could've gotten far earlier.
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1337
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 10:50
gmatmba1 wrote:
I've been thinking about what I could have bought with the $265 for the last couple of weeks....


You could've bought ME a very cute pair of shoes. How selfish of you for donating that money to Stanford.
_________________
The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 258
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 12:08
cheetarah1980 wrote:
gmatmba1 wrote:
I've been thinking about what I could have bought with the $265 for the last couple of weeks....


You could've bought ME a very cute pair of shoes. How selfish of you for donating that money to Stanford.

Now now, Cheetarah, you need to recognize that the $265 is a social good. It pays for the all of the time that the Stanford AdComs take to ding virtually every applicant. How shortsighted of you to have missed the benefit we gained from his contribution!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Decision Week!
Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 261
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 12:12
hello212 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
gmatmba1 wrote:
I've been thinking about what I could have bought with the $265 for the last couple of weeks....

You could've bought ME a very cute pair of shoes. How selfish of you for donating that money to Stanford.

Now now, Cheetarah, you need to recognize that the $265 is a social good. It pays for the all of the time that the Stanford AdComs take to ding virtually every applicant. How shortsighted of you to have missed the benefit we gained from his contribution!

Guys, clearly the fees go to ensuring that the Stanny goat lives a life of luxury.... that ish ain't cheap!
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1337
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 13:33
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
hello212 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
You could've bought ME a very cute pair of shoes. How selfish of you for donating that money to Stanford.

Now now, Cheetarah, you need to recognize that the $265 is a social good. It pays for the all of the time that the Stanford AdComs take to ding virtually every applicant. How shortsighted of you to have missed the benefit we gained from his contribution!

Guys, clearly the fees go to ensuring that the Stanny goat lives a life of luxury.... that ish ain't cheap!


Oh well if the money is for the Stanny goat, then that's totally different. Gotta keep that goat living lavish.


Stanny goat please eat my app!
_________________
The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: War veteran & gallantry award winner.
Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Posts: 111
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.81
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 13:57
I just realised that each of my five schools has a different colour code to it :) Talk about rainbows!!!!

But that is going to change tomorrow in all probability! Hope that Darden follows the Booth way rather than Wharton or HBS ...........

Sam
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2012
Posts: 61
GPA: 3.4
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 16:10
Can we expect a waitlist if we were not invited to interview??
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Posts: 21
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 18:51
JMG wrote:
Can we expect a waitlist if we were not invited to interview??


Yes you can :lol:
Yes we can :lol:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Posts: 21
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2012, 18:52
cbs2012chi wrote:
JMG wrote:
Can we expect a waitlist if we were not invited to interview??


Yes you can :lol:
Yes we can :lol:


Intact everyone on this forum including me are going to be wait listed on Wednesday
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 3.51
WE: Performing Arts (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2012, 05:36
Does anyone know if Stanford has a pre-term to brush up on your quant skills like Wharton and Tuck?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2012, 05:36

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44  ...  46    Next  [ 919 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Update application status  

Moderator: erlandgas






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne