Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 02:45 It is currently 09 May 2024, 02:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: Finance Fridays @ UCLA Anderson: Student Spotlight - Tiffany Lu ('17)
This blog post is part of our "Day of the Week" industry series that encompasses our students, faculty, staff, and programs involved in a wide array of business fields and disciplines. Check back regularly for posts for Management Consulting Mondays,Marketing Mondays, Tech TuesdaysFinance Fridays, and Startup Saturdays!

In today's #FinanceFridays student spotlight post, rising second year Tiffany Lu ('17) gives her insights into applying to MBA programs and first-hand advice on for future applicants

Tiffany is also the upcoming Instagram #TuesdayTakeover student on September 6th! Tiffany will be taking over our Instagram account @uclamba for a whole day to show everyone a "Day in the Life" of her summer internship in Investment Banking at Moelis & Company -- make sure to check in throughout the day on Tuesday to our @uclaMBA instagram account!

Tiffany Lu is a rising second year at the UCLA Anderson full-time MBA program.  Tiffany received a B.S. in Economics from Duke University. Prior to beginning Anderson, Tiffany worked in the entertainment industry and as an educational consultant.   She is currently spending her summer MBA internship working in Investment Banking at Moelis & Company working in Product Management.  Tiffany is also very active on campus, including serving as the Vice President of Marketing for the Admissions Ambassador Corps (AAC).

STUDENT LIFE

Q. What do you think is your program’s greatest asset?

If I had to pinpoint one aspect of Anderson that stands out above all others, I would say it’s the quality of the student body. When I first arrived on campus, I was blown away by how willing everyone was to help out his or her fellow classmates. I’ll never forget sitting in the student atrium during the second week of classes, frustrated because I was struggling with my statistics homework, and having three of my classmates come up to me and ask if there were anything they could do to help. Listening to how they broke down the questions and hearing them explain the concepts in a different way really helped me understand the material better, and I was finally able to complete the assignment. And no one embodies the “share success” motto better than the second-year students. Amidst their busy schedules juggling recruiting, classes, and Anderson’s master thesis project called Applied Management Research, they still volunteer their time to be Anderson Career Team (ACT) coaches. They work with our career center to craft a 10-week curriculum to prepare the first-years for recruiting and interviewing. They were committed to seeing us succeed, even if it meant they had to schedule prep sessions late at night after their 10pm classes or meet up with us off campus during weekends. Anderson wouldn’t be what it is without the students, and I consider myself incredibly lucky to be amongst the company of such talented and genuinely kind people.

WHY AN MBA

Q. How did you decide that an MBA was the next step for you? Do you have advice for students considering an MBA on how to make that decision?

Prior to business school, I worked in the entertainment industry for two years and then spent another two years working for my family’s business in education. I knew that I wanted to work for a larger company and thought that an MBA would allow me to make that transition. I also found that since graduating from college, my network had not expanded beyond my professional circle, and I wanted to meet and develop connections with new people. My advice for students considering an MBA is to think of how transformative an experience it could be. It isn’t the only way to move up in your career, or even to switch careers, but I think what’s more invaluable is the network you build and the challenges you force yourself to face along the way. Business school provides all of that and more: I changed and grew so much during my first year at Anderson, so if you are asking yourself whether the MBA is worth it, my opinion is that it definitely is.

ADVICE FOR FUTURE APPLICANTS

Q. What is the one thing you wish someone had told you before you started the MBA application process?

As difficult as the application process seems, it was much less stressful than actually being in business school. I wish someone had told me that if I was having a hard time juggling work and applying to business school, I was going to have a rough time balancing recruiting with academics and networking. No matter where you are in the application process, accept that it is just a stepping stone to get you to where you ultimately want to be, and that if any particular program is causing you too much undue stress, you might want to re-evaluate whether that school is the best choice for you. Writing my Anderson essay was fun because I connected to the school’s principles and felt as though I were free to express the truest version of myself.

Q. What is it like to transition back to school after being out for a few years? What advice can you offer students returning for their MBA?

It definitely takes some getting used to, but I would say you’d be surprised at how quickly you pick things back up even if you have been out of school for a while. There’s quite a steep learning curve, but once you get used to it (organizing the assignments, forming study groups, and asking professors or other students for help when you need it), it really isn’t that bad. The best advice I can offer students is to not be so hard on yourself if you feel as though you’re overwhelmed with what’s going on—everybody else probably feels that way as well! MBAs tend to be type-As who want to feel on top of everything at all times, but in the very beginning, it’s likely that you’ll feel like you have way too much to do and too little time to do it. Accept that that is the case for everyone, take a deep breath, and enjoy the ride! You’re more adaptable than you think and you’ll find your flow soon enough.

CAREER

Q. When it came time to look for jobs, did you find yourself interested in a new career that you hadn’t considered before doing your MBA?

I am spending my summer working in investment banking, and if you had asked me prior to business school what I thought I would be doing, banking would probably have been the last thing on my mind (I actually came into Anderson thinking I was going to pursue a career in human resources management). But after taking our core accounting class in fall quarter and realizing that I liked financial statement analysis, I began having conversations with my classmates who were recruiting for banking and also with the second-year students who had interned over the summer at the banks. Once I actually understood what investment bankers do, I knew that I wanted to give banking a shot. Without the resources and encouragement at Anderson, I don’t think I would be where I am today.

Q. What resources and support did your school offer you through the career search?

As mentioned above, the second-year ACT coaches and our Parker Career Management Center were instrumental in helping me land my summer internship. The ACT coaches were gatekeepers to the alumni working at investment banks in LA, and through their connections, I was able to reach out to the alumni and set up tons of informational interviews prior to the formal interviews that took place on campus. The career advisors prepped us leading up to the interviews, getting our resumes, cover letters, and general behavioral answers up to par. The career search process was extremely taxing and stressful, but the most important thing was I never felt as though I were going through it alone. There were always people I could reach out to if I needed guidance (which I definitely did all the time), and I owe my success to their mentorship and support.

The above post was originally featured on The MBA Tour aMBAssador blog

---

Stay in Touch: Introduce YourselfFollow the Admissions Team @uclaMBA:  Twitter and Instagramhttps://bit.ly/uclaMBAIntroduceYourselfQuestions? Contact us at: mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: #TuesdayTips by @uclaMBA Admissions: Tip #9 - When To Apply
Here's the next tip in our new series of Admissions Tips by the UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions team.

Check back weekly on Tuesdays for a new #TuesdayTip here on our blog, or follow us at @uclaMBA on Instagram and Twitter.

---

Stay in Touch: Introduce YourselfFollow the Admissions Team @uclaMBA:  Twitter and Instagramhttps://bit.ly/uclaMBAIntroduceYourselfQuestions? Contact us at: mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Application Rounds Pros & Cons
This blog post is part of our weekly "Application Insider" blog post series that provides insider information, tips, and advice about applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.

APPLICATION INSIDER TOPIC:
APPLICATION ROUNDS PROS & CONS

So you've decided that you want to apply to MBA programs and even know which schools you want to apply to (hopefully UCLA Anderson is at the top of the list!), but there are still many more decisions to make throughout the application process... and the first major decision is often when to apply.  UCLA Anderson, along with many other top business school programs, offers multiple application rounds within each academic year. Which round you choose determines when your application is due and when you find out if you're admitted -- the earlier your apply, generally the earlier the decision is made (though it's not always the case if you're waitlisted...more on that below).

With our UCLA Anderson Round 1 deadline is less than a month away (October 6th), it's time to start thinking about what round you're planning on submitting your application.

Ultimately, the right time for you to apply is when you feel your application will be its best -- UCLA Anderson accepts top-quality applicants across all three rounds!

The pros and cons of each round below may help you determine which is the best round for you. That said, please remember that the relative competitiveness of each round varies, as the applicant pool changes from year to year.

APPLYING ROUND 1

Pros: In Round 1, all seats are available (for UCLA Anderson, that's 360 in our full-time MBA class) so we have room to admit all of the qualified candidates that we come across.  Further, in Round 1 we have the full amount of merit-based fellowship funds left to distribute.  Applying early can also show the Admissions Committee that you're serious about attending our business school.  There is also still the opportunity to be put on the waitlist to be potentially re-evaluated in Rounds 2 and/or 3. And if you do not get accepted into our program, you will likely have have sufficient time to apply to another school's program in their later rounds.

Cons: Applicants may feel rushed to complete their application by a Round 1 deadline.  Without proper time management, individuals may not allot sufficient time to put together the highest quality application that they are capable of, and therefore may run the risk of hurting their chances for acceptance into our program.  Having insufficient time to self-reflect on short- and long-term goals, do research on MBA programs, and write the essay response may be evident on the application to the Admissions committee (especially the essay). Further, if you have not given sufficient time for your recommenders to complete their letters of recommendation, the quality of those crucial elements of the application may also be compromised.  You also will have the least amount of time to complete your GMAT/GRE and TOEFL/IELTS exams, and without proper planning, will likely not have time to re-take the exams if you're not satisfied with your first score.

APPLYING ROUND 2

Pros: Round 2 is the most popular round for applicants here at UCLA Anderson, with a majority of our applications received in this round. By applying in Round 2, you have additional time to complete your application and write your essay; plus your recommenders also have more time to finish their recommendations.  If you aren't happy with your score on the GMAT/GRE and/or TOEFL/IELTS, you will likely also have time to re-take the exam (we only evaluate your top score). Possibly the greatest advantage of applying in Round 2 is that you have more time to learn about our program by attending Admissions events (Access Anderson, Information Evenings, and Embracing Diversity, to name a few!). Perhaps you can even schedule a campus visit to meet with current students and observe a class! By having this time to get first-hand experience on our program, you may gain a better understanding of your own school preferences and MBA goals, all which will reflect in your application.

Cons: We receive the largest number of applications during Round 2, so competition is high (especially since we also have Round 1 waitlisted candidates still under consideration).  If you do not get accepted (which hopefully won't be the case!) you may not have sufficient time to apply to another program within the same academic year.

APPLYING ROUND 3

Pros: Perhaps the biggest benefit in applying in Round 3 is that you have the most time to enhance your application profile -- the additional time may allow you to get a promotion at work, take on a new project, and/or get involved in more leadership activities, for example. With more time to self-reflect on your goals, the application, and the essay question, applying in Round 3 may give you the advantage of giving you the most amount of time to put together the highest quality application possible for you. If you applied to other programs in earlier rounds, you will likely also be equipped with acceptance information from those schools. You will also have ample time to take (and potentially re-take) the GMAT/GRE and/or TOEFL/IELTS exams.

Cons: Since our class size is capped, fewer applicants are historically admitted in the last round simply due to the availability of spots in the class.  This makes this round the most competitive out of all. While you can still be placed on our waitlist, there are still likely many other individuals from earlier Rounds on our waitlist that you'll be still compared against.

Now that you have a clearer picture of the advantages and disadvantages of each round, below is a reminder of our application deadlines by round for this academic year:

ROUND

APPLICATION
DEADLINE DAY

DECISION
RELEASE DAY

October 6, 2016
 December 15, 2016

January 5, 2017
 March 29, 2017

April 12, 2017
 May 24, 2017

Check back next week for the next "Application Insider" blog post about the application essay question!

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: From the Dean’s Desk: About Assistant Dean of MBA Admissions Alex Lawrence
This post is part of a “From the Dean’s Desk” series, where we hear directly from our UCLA Anderson leaders across the school.

Today’s post is from Alex Lawrence, Assistant Dean & Director of Admissions for the Full-Time MBA Program. Alex is a UCLA Anderson MBA alum (Class of 1999), spending his post-MBA career working in Management Consulting prior to returning to UCLA Anderson, where he served as the Executive Director of The Riordan Program prior to joining the Admissions team.

Recently the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) interviewed me as a part of their "In the Spotlight" series where they feature different school representatives.  Check out the below to learn a bit more about me!

-- Alex Lawrence

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: Instagram @uclaMBA #TuesdayTakeover: Ankit Pandey (Tech Strategy)
Introducing you to today's Instagram #TuesdayTakeover student, Ankit Pandey! Ankit will be taking over our Instagram account @uclamba for a whole day today to show everyone a "Day in the Life" of his summer internship in Strategy & Business Development at Google!

Check in throughout the day to our @uclaMBA instagram account to hear about Ankit's "Day in the Life"!

Name:
Ankit Pandey (@ankitpandereplay)

Pre-Anderson:
Management Consulting - Ernst & Young and
Co-Founder of Nosh
(Tech Start-up)

MBA Summer Internship:
Strategy - Google

LEARN MORE ABOUT ANKIT: 

Academic Specializations: Technology & Strategy

Leadership@Anderson: Anderson Tech Business Association - VP of Admissions; Women's Business Connection - VP of Manbassadors, Director of Tiger 21 Leadership Development Program Membership

Clubs@Anderson: Anderson Tech Business Association (AnderTech), Entrepreneur Association, Sports Business Association, Anderson Soccer Club, Anderson Wine Club

Ankit Pandey (left) with fellow UCLA Anderson summer intern Will Fox (Product Operations)

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: #TuesdayTips by @uclaMBA Admissions: Tip #10 - Application
Here's the next tip in our new series of Admissions Tips by the UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions team.

Check back weekly on Tuesdays for a new #TuesdayTip here on our blog, or follow us at @uclaMBA on Instagram and Twitter.

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Essays
This blog post is part of our weekly "Application Insider" blog post series that provides insider information, tips, and advice about applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.

ESSAYS

First things first, our essay question has remained unchanged from the prior year. New applicants* are required to answer the following:

We believe that the best results are achieved when you share success, think fearlessly and drive change. With this in mind, what are your goals at UCLA Anderson and in your short-term and long-term career? (750 words maximum)

*New applicants are those who are first-time applicants or those who have not submitted a completed UCLA Anderson MBA application within the previous two years (i.e., those who did not apply for the MBA program that started in 2015 or 2016). Note that the re-applicant essay will be addressed in a future blog post.

As you sit down to write and edit your essay, we hope the following tips will help you make the most of the research and work you've done to craft an essay that truly represents YOU.

So you may be thinking...where do I even start?

If you're staring at a blank page and don't know where to begin, here are a few recommendations:

• The skills you gained and the qualities you've learned about yourself in your past career experiences will often influence your future professional goals; so take the time to self-reflect on what you liked and didn't like in your past job(s) to help understand where you see yourself in the future. It's important that we understand how your past experiences fit into your future goals. 
  • With this better understanding of your past, you can start by thinking about your long-term goals and work backwards to short-term goals, and then work backwards even further to what you would do at UCLA Anderson to achieve those goals.
  • Do research on career paths of MBAs to see what resonates with you and your interests. For example, you can connect with our students and even check out our Club Webpages to explore the career paths of our second-year student club leaders on their LinkedIn pages.
  • Do research on UCLA Anderson's MBA program. Some of the most compelling essays are the ones that effectively show how the specific opportunities at UCLA Anderson will be used to achieve your future goals.

How do I fit everything into one essay in only 750 words? What should I focus on?

Your essay should help the Admissions Committee understand that you can develop a feasible plan for your career and how UCLA Anderson can help you achieve them.

• A good essay should address the path you intend to follow in our program and beyond into your post-MBA career; it should be based on your interests and past professional and personal experiences, and also show insights into the areas you wish to develop.
  • Research our MBA program (such as on our website, on our social media accounts, and by speaking with current students and/or alumni), and identify any insights into resources and tools the program may offer to help you achieve your goals. Examples may include classes, activities, programming, clubs and other extra-curricular opportunities. 
  • The goal is to communicate that you are ready for an MBA and that you have a solid understanding of what is needed to make the most of your experience here at Anderson. 
The essay should NOT be a restatement of projects from your resume or a listing of your leadership positions. It should be a clear "story" of your goals, and round out your profile as an applicant by providing insights that cannot be found or easily derived from the other parts of your application.

Please be respectful of the 750 word limit -- the essay should be concise, clear, and focused.

But what if my plans change once I start school? 

The Admissions Committee understands that our MBA program may expose you to other professional opportunities that, in turn, may change your goals. But for the purpose of the essay, we need to know that you can set a goal, research the paths to get there and develop a well-articulated plan on how you will leverage and grow your skills with an MBA from UCLA Anderson to help you get there.

Is the "share success, think fearlessly and drive change" portion of the question really necessary to address?

At UCLA Anderson, we are a community defined by three core qualities -- we share success, think fearlessly and drive change -- so the Admissions Committee is looking for these same qualities in prospective applicants.  While there may be evidence of these qualities throughout your application, this essay question is an excellent opportunity to communicate how you fit into our Anderson community.

Here's a snapshot from our MBA Brochure to give you more information about these core values:

When should I use the optional essay? Is it really optional?

For those of you that may have additional situations to address (for example, an unexplained leave of absence from work or context to the reason for a less-than-stellar course grade in college), you might consider using the following optional essay to address those situations:

Are there any extenuating circumstances in your profile about which the Admissions Committee should be aware? Please use your best judgment. (250 words maximum)

No preference is given in the evaluation process to applicants who submit an optional essay. The essay is truly optional and should only be used to explain situations not evident on the application, not act as an extension to the main application essay.

When will I know my essay is finished?

After you feel that your essay is in good shape, it is advisable to have at least two people read and review it. Here are our recommendations on who you should ask:

• A person who knows you very well and can quickly conclude if the essay faithfully represents you, your values and your goals. 
  • A person who may not know you as well. This person should be able to give you an objective perspective on how the essay may come across to the admissions committee, who are unlikely to have met you before. Are your goals clear and concise? Can they tell how excited you are about UCLA Anderson? Is it evident that you've done the work to get to know the school?
By getting insights from people with varying levels of knowledge about you, you should be able to refine your essay(s) further. After another review for clarity & conciseness, typos, grammar, etc., you'll be ready to press submit!

Ultimately, our main application essay is the platform to distinguish yourself from all other applicants through your story, your goals, your passion, and your desire to be a part of our wonderful UCLA Anderson family. We hope these essay tips help you... now, get back to writing!

Check back next week for the next "Application Insider" blog post that will cover TEST SCORES!

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: 5 Great Takeaways from the Forté Forums

As the summer comes to a close, we wanted to take a minute to thank all the women who came out to join us at the Forté Forums this summer. From the West Coast to the East Coast, we traveled and met so many great individuals who were looking to take that next step in their careers.

We also wanted to recognize our phenomenal UCLA Anderson students & alumnae who joined us to share their success with the next generation of women at Anderson:

Even if you were not able to join us in person, we wanted to share with you some of the great takeaways from the Forté Forum events, based on the questions we received on the road across all of the cities:

• Explore schools. There are many great schools out there, and you should expand your research to find out if one could be the fit for you. There's a reason why our hashtag is #whyanderson!

• Fit matters. Do you enjoy talking to the alumni and current students you've met? Are there common characteristics you see among them that resonate with you? These "intangibles" can make a big difference in your MBA experience.

• Check out campus AND online resources. While visiting our campus is ideal, we know it's not always feasible. Fortunately, you can still learn so much about a school through online webinars and phone calls with students and alumni. View the following:
  • Find someone who has charted a similar path before you. Not sure how you'll achieve the professional goals you've set for yourself? Research student leaders and alumni who are in your dream job and how they got there. Their insights could help you craft a better plan (and essay!).

• Own your background. Traditional and non-traditional backgrounds can be an asset. Know your strengths and weaknesses as a professional and how you can leverage your existing skills to be successful in your new career.

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: #TuesdayTips by @uclaMBA Admissions: Tip #11 - Career Services

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Test Scores (GMAT & GRE / TOEFL & IELTS)

Test Scores (GMAT & GRE / TOEFL & IELTS)

When preparing for admission to an MBA program, the one application component that often brings stress and anxiety for many prospective candidates can be the exams, including the GMAT, GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS.  We hope the Q&As below will help provide more insights to alleviate some of the stress so you can focus on studying and acing the exam!

Should I take the GMAT or the GRE?

At UCLA Anderson, applicants have the option to submit the GMAT or GRE with their application. Both exams are evaluated equally in the admissions process, so we encourage potential candidates to submit the test on which they feel most confident with.

How should I prepare for the GMAT/GRE?

Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to prepare for the exam. There are many forms of test preparation including prep classes, online practice exams, test books, and one-on-one tutoring. Given your learning style, you will want to select a method that works best for you -- no one method is right for everyone! Each exam assesses your verbal, quantitative, analytical writing and integrated reasoning ability. It is important to dedicate review sessions for each component of the test as the admissions team will evaluate your performance in each area.

When should I take the exam?

If you are currently in an undergraduate or graduate program, it might be in your best interest to take the exam now since you are already in an academic mode and mindset -- it's surprising how quickly one can forget how to effectively study for an exam! However, your test scores are valid for 5 years and it is common for many applicants to take the exam multiple times before being satisfied with their overall performance. Even though we only evaluate your highest score, both the GMAT and GRE provide you with the option to select which test score you prefer to submit to the institution to which you’re seeking admission. Regardless, we do not penalize applicants for taking an exam multiple times.

Why do we require the GMAT or GRE exam?

While the admissions process is holistic, one area that we measure is your academic ability. In addition to your undergraduate performance, the GMAT or GRE serves as an indication of your ability to handle the rigor of an MBA program. Also, a higher GMAT or GRE score can help strengthen your academic profile if you did not perform well in undergrad and do not believe it reflects your potential. Overall, our goal is to ensure that you will be successful in the MBA program and will be able to handle its academic rigor.

Is there a required minimum score?

At UCLA Anderson, we do not have a minimum test score that you must receive. As you prepare for the exam, we recommend that you review our most recent class profile. Do not just focus on the average score, but rather the range of our admitted students. This will help provide a realistic picture of what you need to be competitive. Remember, each component of your application is given equal weight and our review is holistic, so if your performance on the exam is not as high as you'd like, you can demonstrate strengths in other areas (e.g., work experience, essay, undergraduate transcripts, letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities, etc.).

Who needs to take the TOEFL or IELTS?

For anyinternational applicants that received their education outside of the United States, you will also be required to submit the TOEFL or IELTS exam with your application, unless your education was solely taught in English in an English-speaking country. The purpose of this exam is to assess your English proficiency. Given the collaborative and interactive structure of the MBA program, we want to ensure that you will be able to contribute to classroom discussions, and these exams help us evaluate this important factor. You can learn more about the TOEFL/IELTS requirement on the UCLA Graduate Division webpage.

Hopefully these insights will help guide you as you prepare for GMAT, GRE, TOEFL and/or IELTS, as a part of the admissions process. If you have any follow-up questions about our requirements and application process, please see our admissions webpage, our FAQs or email us directly at mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu.

Check back next week for the next "Application Insider" blog post about WORK EXPERIENCE!

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: #TuesdayTips by @uclaMBA Admissions: Tip #12 - Work Experience

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Work Experience

WORK EXPERIENCE

Work experience is a key component of most business school applications and it yet may be a topic surrounded by a fair amount of confusion. Here is a Q&A with the top 10 questions we get on this topic and their respective answers to help you on your MBA application:

1. What is the Admissions Committee really looking for in my work experience?
Our admissions officers are looking at your overall career trajectory and the decisions you made along your career path. Promotions, title changes, and increased responsibilities will display your growth within an organization. If you have led projects or supervised individuals, let us know the number of people, and duration of time. Discuss your cross-functional experience, too, as this will show your increased business acumen and understanding of additional functions of business.

2. How do I communicate my work experience through the application process?
There are a few different places to do so. Your essay will allow you to connect your past work experience and skills to your future short- and long- term goals. The resume will allow you to quantify your accomplishments and set them in the appropriate context for evaluation. And ultimately, the interview will let you connect all the pieces and add your own personality and voice to make your application unique and memorable.

3. When do I start counting my work years of work experience?
UCLA Anderson does not require work experience to apply. However, the vast majority of students have some level of full-time work experience prior to starting the program, with the average being between 4 and 5 years. (See our class profile for details).
We consider your first full-time job post-college graduation as the start of your work experience and count it all the way to when you will leave work to start the MBA.

4. I noticed your average years of work experience for the Class of 2018 is 5 years. What if I have less or more years of work experience than 5 years?
It is not so much the quantity of your work experience, but the quality. The Admissions Committee cares more about what you have done during the time you have worked, and why you want to get an MBA. For some candidates, that could be 2 years of work experience, and for others it can be over 10.

5. I don’t have any full-time work experience yet. Is there something I can do to strengthen my application?
Every year a few amazing individuals with minimal-to-no work experience are admitted to the program. These individuals often bring to our class stellar academics and work ethics, and can often display leadership potential and the potential to succeed in an MBA program through their own individual accomplishments, such as internships, school, and/or participation with other organizations.

6. Do college internships count as work experience?
We typically don’t count the college internships while in college as full-time work experience since many college internships are truly not “full-time”. That said, if you believe your internship is significant enough and is relevant to your professional career goals, you can always list them in your resume and provide the relevant details, level of responsibility and areas of oversight, and the Admissions Committee will take it under consideration as a part of your application profile.

7. I have held several jobs in a few years. Is this going to be seen as a red flag?
If you have changed jobs, be sure to discuss new responsibilities and leadership opportunities that you gained, especially in areas that have given you skills required for your post-MBA goals. If you feel it necessary, explain why you switched jobs, and how these experiences led you to your career goals. This is all part of your story and you should own it and be comfortable talking about it.

8. I don’t directly manage other people and/or projects. Is there something else I can do to show my leadership and management potential?We understand that not all individuals are given the opportunity by their employer to directly manage people or projects, regardless of their ability or desire to do so. Sometimes your leadership roles can be something that you have sought out on your own through volunteering roles inside or outside your organization, especially when your formal job does not provide with direct opportunities to do so. Make sure you talk about those aspects of your life that highlight your ability to work well with others, think big picture and use your analytical and planning skills.

9. How should I format my resume to better communicate my work experience?
We have no standard resume format that we require, but please limit your resume to 1-2 pages maximum. We ask that your resume be up to date and formatted in a way that we can quickly find important accomplishments, milestones achieved, leadership roles, and career progression. Whenever possible, include adequate context and provide numbers to quantify the size/impact of your contributions, plus minimize the industry jargon in favor of plain English descriptions. Your resume is an opportunity to give the Admissions Committee a summary of your pre-MBA academic, professional, and extracurricular experiences.

10. How is non-traditional experience counted (e.g., Military service, self-employed/entrepreneur, lawyer, doctor)?
UCLA Anderson values diverse perspectives in the classroom, and we welcome applicants from both traditional and non-traditional backgrounds. We recommend that you focus on what you have learned in your past experiences and the skills you’ve gained in your non-traditional experience, and how those may be transferable to allow you succeed in an MBA program and in your post-MBA career goals. Non-traditional students may have work experience prior to the start of their undergraduate career, and we will note this on an individual basis. Military experience is considered work experience in the perspective of the UCLA Anderson Admissions Committee, as you have grown significantly in leadership and decision-making.

For more information on work experience, check out the Application Requirements section of our website.

Check back next week for the next "Application Insider" blog post about LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION!

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: Student Spotlight: Erica Suk '17 & the Forté MBALaunch Program

Have you decided to get an MBA but don't have the network to stay focused or don't feel prepared enough to make grad school a reality? Get focused with Forté MBALaunch, a 10-month program that pairs women seeking an MBA with a support network and provides a structured roadmap for applying to business schools. You'll attend online webinars, advisor meetings, and monthly in-person peer group sessions in your host city.

Learn more about the Forté MBALaunch program first-hand with the below Q&A with former MBALauncher and current UCLA Anderson student, Erica Suk! 

UCLA Anderson MBALauncher:
Erica Suk

Undergraduate Studies:
Yale University - BA, Economics

Pre-Anderson Work Experience:
Accenture - Consultant

MBA Summer Internship:
Nestlé - Brand Management

Activities@Anderson:
- Forte Foundation Fellow

- Women's Business Connection:
Vice President of Professional Development

- Retail Business Association:
Vice President of Career & Alumni

Q. How did MBALaunch help prepare you for the MBA application process?
A. I actually joined MBALaunch in the same year as my application year. I wish I had joined a year earlier or even a few years before since I saw how impactful its programming was for me even at that later point in the process. That said, it still was beneficial for me because I had a somewhat of a clear idea regarding what I wanted to do in and post business school, so I was able to flush out my ideas and confirm my plans with peers and mentors in MBALaunch.

Q. Did you feel more prepared entering business school because of MBALaunch?
A. Yes! Because I didn’t personally know anybody who had gone to business school, I gained a lot of information from the people I met through MBALaunch. I asked them questions regarding classes, recruiting process, etc. They gave me candid responses that have helped me make a smooth transition from work to school life.

Q. What is the main the benefit of participating in MBALaunch?
A. The people. Just like the benefits of informationals we conduct as business school students, I was able to talk to many people who shared similar interests as I did. There were also mentors assigned to us who answered any of our questions without any bias.

Q. What types of resources did MBALaunch provide you?
A. I especially enjoyed the mentorship program. A group of 3-5 prospective students are paired with 2 mentors. We met virtually each month to discuss pre-assigned topics such as essay topics, interview process, how to survive the first year, etc. It was tremendously helpful to get insight from those who have walked the path before us and also to hear thoughts from my peers who are going through the arduous process as I was.

Q. Do you still keep in touch with the other MBALaunchers you met who are now at UCLA Anderson and at other business schools?
A. Yes - I keep in touch with one particular person who was one of the main speakers from the program. She was always willing to share her time and thoughts with me before and during business school.

Q. What is it like to be a female at UCLA Anderson?
A. It’s great to see the caliber and the strength of the women in my class. One student group, in particular, Women’s Business Connection (WBC), is making headway in paving a way for more female students to thrive on campus and in the business world, and I am thrilled to be part of this community. Last year’s WBC president, Britney Sussman, made significant improvements and impacts through this organization, and I am excited to be part of this year’s cabinet to make even more contributions to help advance the women at Anderson and in post-graduate careers.

Q. Any final advice for prospective business school applicants?
A. Just do it (with confidence)! I had doubts throughout the entire application process because business school was a big time and financial commitment for me. Looking back, I know that I have grown so much – both professionally and personally – since day 1 of school and that’s only after 1 year! I can’t wait to see what others lessons I’ll take away with this year and am looking forward to applying them as a professional upon graduation.

Learn more about the Forté MBA Launch program, host cities and application details by visiting this webpage
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: #TuesdayTips by @uclaMBA Admissions: Tip #13 - Essays

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Letters of Recommendation

LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION

Continuing with our series on application tips, we'd like to provide a little bit of insight into letters of recommendation and why they are important to our evaluation process. As you have probably already read in our application requirements, we require two letters of recommendation (and just one for re-applicants). We prefer that your letters of recommendation speak to your accomplishments and abilities within your professional career. As such, you should request your letters of recommendation from preferably a direct supervisor or manager. But don't worry, if you are working in a family business or have an entrepreneurial background, this blog will also give you some tips on who would be good recommenders.

Why are letters of recommendation important? Letters of recommendation are important because they provide us with a third person's perspective on your leadership potential, your teamwork skills, as well as your ability to overcome challenges. They provide us with information on what type of a teammate you're going to be for the rest of our students: are you someone who is equally comfortable in a leadership role as in a support role; if issues arise will you be able to solve them by evaluating all perspectives involved; do you know how to compromise when needed? Letters of recommendation also speak to what you have accomplished in your career and shed some light on how that can position you for future success.

Who should you consider for your letters of recommendation? As mentioned above, your letters of recommendation should ideally come from someone who is familiar with you in a work setting, such as a direct supervisor and/or someone who has overseen some of your projects. If you cannot request a letter of recommendation from your most current supervisor, you can always contact a former employer. Keep in mind though that it is always best to reach out to someone who you are still in contact with so that they can also speak to your growth since you worked with them. If you are an entrepreneur or are working in a family business, in addition to considering previous employers, you can consider clients, vendors, as well as supervisors from volunteer organizations.

Always remember that we are more concerned with how well your recommenders know you, not their titles.  So don't worry about getting a letter of recommendation from the CEO of your company if they can't provide us with detailed and insightful information on who you are and how you have impacted your organization. Before deciding who to reach out to for your letters of recommendation, we recommend that you take a look at the recommendation questions. Make sure that you reach out to individuals who can provide useful and detailed responses to the questions on the form. Take the time to choose your recommender wisely and give them ample time to complete your letter of recommendation by the deadline for the round to which you are applying.

One last bit of advice: dedicate some time to share your MBA plans with your recommenders. Share a copy of your resume, talk about some of your professional accomplishments, and let them know why you are interested in pursuing an MBA and how you hope to grow both personally and professionally through the experience. By sharing your plans, you will help them to write a more compelling letter of recommendation. 

Good luck and make sure to check back next week for the next "Application Insider" blog post about RE-APPLICANTS

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: From the Dean's Desk: Join Us For Anderson's Biggest Open House!
This post is part of a “From the Dean’s Desk” series, where we hear directly from our UCLA Anderson leaders across the school.

On Saturday, October 15, UCLA Anderson will be opening its doors for its largest open house information event of the year, Access Anderson. In today’s post, hear directly from Rob Weiler (’91), Associate Dean of the full-time MBA program, who answers FAQ about this upcoming event for prospective applicants.

Q: What is Access Anderson?

It’s an open house for individuals interested in learning more about the UCLA Anderson full-time MBA program. In one morning, attendees will get an inside take and advice on how and why to apply. Our MBA admissions team — the people actually reviewing all of the applications — will be on hand to answer questions and offer insider tips. Current students and recent alumni will also be there to share their own MBA journeys, from application through career ROI. The morning will end with a Networking Fair that will give attendees the opportunity to talk one-on-one with students, faculty and alumni in their specific areas of career interest. This is a really special half-day event, where you’ll have the opportunity to learn all about getting an MBA at UCLA Anderson from its own students, alumni, faculty and staff.

Q: Should people who have already attended another UCLA Anderson information event attend?

Yes! No matter what point in the MBA consideration process you may be in, from just considering an MBA to already applied, this is a once-in-a-year opportunity to take a deep dive into all that Anderson has to offer. Year after year, we hear from prospective applicants and students that it’s Anderson’s culture and environment that truly set us apart from other top schools. There’s no better way to find out if Anderson is the right fit for you than by coming to spend time with us, interacting with our students, faculty and staff. We are expecting more than 200 attendees, which means this day is also a great way to meet your future classmates, too.

Q: Will I be able to get one-on-one time to ask my questions?

We’ve structured the day with a mix of panels and networking to give attendees the opportunity to make the most of their time with us. The panels will address the topics that prospective students tend to ask about most frequently. The Networking Fair will give attendees the one-on-one time to talk directly with students, alumni, staff and faculty. Whether you want to learn more about a specific field of study, Anderson’s career resources or our student clubs, we’ll be available to answer your questions.

Q: Can you give me a sneak peek into what you are looking for in prospective MBAs?

First and foremost, we want to maintain the culture that differentiates us from other top business schools. We want to continue strengthening diversity of all sorts in our class — including diversity of life and work experience. Our students learn as much from each other as they do in the classroom, so it’s incumbent upon us to build a class of 360 exceptional individuals who don’t just qualify academically but enrich each other through their unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.

Q: How do I find out more agenda details and RSVP for Access Anderson?

Please visit the Access Anderson 2016 registration page for all event details and to RSVP. Here’s a summary of the agenda:

• Check-In (8:30 – 9:30 a.m.)
  • All About Anderson: Learn about our academics, career resources and culture
  • Admissions Insider Q&A Panel: Get advice from the MBA Admissions team
  • Student Spotlight Q&A Panel: Hear directly from current students and alumni
  • Networking Fair: Mingle and network over light appetizers with members of our community representing a wide array of career functions, industries and interests

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: #TuesdayTips by @uclaMBA Admissions: Tip #14 - Financial Aid

---

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts