Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategic Management and Finance
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013
GMAT 2: 700
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: GMO/Sustainability
Schools:<strong>Darden '13</strong>
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
Thanks, brother. I'm hoping too. Good luck to you with all your interviews.
Current Student
Send PM
Guys, I contacted the VA and what I said earlier looks to be true as far as receiving full tuition on terminal leave:

Question Reference #110125-000918
Subject: Post 9-11 GI Bill Coverage During Transition
Product: GI Bill
Category: Post-9/11 GI Bill
Payments
Overdue: Yes
Callback Required:
Submitted: 01/25/2011 10:34 PM
Last Updated: 02/12/2011 02:14 PM

Discussion Thread
Response (316JM) 02/12/2011 02:14 PM
You will receive the active duty tuition and fees and when you provide us your DD 214 we will adjust you payments to the rate of a veteran.

Customer (Me) 02/12/2011 02:10 PM
Sir/Ma'am,

Thank you for the response, so just to clarify, for the upcoming fall 2011 semester. If my separation date is September 15 and school begins on September 1. I will receive tuition and fees for that semester. At the conclusion of the first semester, I will receive the eligible rate (40%) for the remaining three semesters.

Thank you so much for the help,
Me

Response (316JM) 02/12/2011 01:53 PM
Good Afternoon. If you receive post 9/11 GI Bill benefits while on active duty your school will receive the cost of tuition and fees, and you will not receive the books and supplies stipend or the BAH allowance. Once you have been officially separated from the military, you must provide a copy of your DD 214 and then you will receive your payments at the rate that is determined by your active service.

Customer (me) 02/10/2011 08:35 PM
What is my benefit if I am eligible for 40% Post-9/11 GI Bill, but I begin my first semester on Active Duty due to terminal leave? Please advise.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did anyone read the post "Admitted! I Can't Wait till I Can Quit My Job" Syndrome? Also, is anyone else (like me) still on active duty, within 30-60 days of ETS, and already accepted to an MBA program? That post kinda spoke to me, because I've been noticing how, more and more each day, I could really care less about what's going on in my unit. I've already trained up my replacement, he's doing the work and doing it well, and I feel completely unneeded at this point (which is good). But now I am in this limbo period where I haven't started clearing yet, but I'm in a position where I'm not producing work, and all my thoughts and energy seem to be entirely on getting out and preparing to start my MBA. Does anyone else feel this way? Thoughts?
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
I'm in kinda the same situation, although my replacement isn't here to take over yet. I've got 85 days til I go on terminal leave and my bosses know what my plans are, but I respect them and my peers enough not to completely drop my pack and stop caring at all. That's not to say I don't feel a bit lazy, because I clearly do, but I haven't had too much trouble continuing to do what I need to. I'm not quite sure what I'd do if I didn't have any responsibilities, which it sounds like is what you're dealing with.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah, I was still productive at 85 days out, but now I've got about 8 work days left and I'm sucking at work. Also, I was lucky to have a pretty sharp officer come in to take my place, so it didn't take long before he was good to go. We had a long period of time to transition, and he's doing a great job so I've left my battalion in good hands. I've just been in this limbo phase for the past couple weeks that just blows. Having no responsibility sounds awesome, but it has been a pain in the ass. All the career guys bust balls because now I'm a "quitter" because I'm getting out. I've been in the Army for a couple minutes so I knew that was coming, but I'm just getting tired of the BS, I can see the greener grass on the other side, and I'm ready to go. No one can relate?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategic Management
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
 Q49  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: US Military
Send PM
TOTALLY can relate. Loved the military, but those last 90 days people also suddenly treated me like a traitor. They knew I only had a little bit left so in came all the crap. Go figure out how many bombs our plane has dropped EVER... the general wants it for our beer song. Moved me to three different offices... just like the guy in office space. Those last two months hurt, were disrespectful, and kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. After all I had done too.

Point: Don't let it get you down, you know your worth and your potential. Finish strong because if you don't, you could feel guilty about it. For me, when my last day came, I was proud of it and it made for a great and motivated segue into the non-military world.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
emont- I just re-read your reply. I wasn't trying to say that I don't care if my unit goes to crap, because I would care about that. I'm not saying "I don't care" as in now I'm dead weight that my buddies have to pick up the slack for. My replacement is dialed in, and at this point I'm just unneeded and it feels like I'm kinda in the way sometimes. In other words, it's time for me to go, but I still have to wait a little bit longer. I was just wondering if anyone else felt that way too. I should have worded things better.

academist- Yeah, I'm not really getting treated like crap; people are just busting balls. Sometimes I feel like guys who made a career out of the military take it personally when others decide to leave; as if we were personally insulting the decision they made for their lives. Other guys (like some of my peers) are just jealous that they aren't getting out right now too haha. Nothing is getting me down, I'm just anxious to move on and become a normal person again. Just thinking about being in school again, and having a semblance of stability in my life sounds pretty amazing. I'm just pumped about it, so that makes it hard for me to be very pumped about anything going on at work, and I just catch **** for it sometimes is all, haha. I've got a great group of guys in my unit, and we've been through some stuff together, so I will always be proud of my service and be close with those guys. That being said, I'm still chomping at the bit to hop in my truck and leave that place in my dust. 8-)
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Nah, we're good Mateo--I was just pointing out that it sounds like you don't have any real responsibilities as you're finishing up, which is a little bit different than my situation. I wasn't saying you're burning your bridges or leaving stuff undone or anything like that.

I haven't gotten hassled by anyone for my plans to get out--I think for the most part people understand that everyone isn't going to stay for a career. For that matter, everyone couldn't stay in forever even if they wanted to. Obviously there aren't enough LtCol and Col billets available if a whole generation's worth of Lt's and Capt's decided to stay in forever. So tell your buddies you're doing them a favor by getting out--you're making retention and promotion a less competitive process for them in the future. As long as you served honorably and fulfilled your initial obligation, I don't think anyone can criticize you for not wanting to do 20 or 30 years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategic Management
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
 Q49  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: US Military
Send PM
MateoLibre wrote:
That being said, I'm still chomping at the bit to hop in my truck and leave that place in my dust. 8-)

Haha... I know how that feeling is! Also glad to hear your separation decision is being taken decently well. Good luck with your last couple months, and cheers to your future!

Best,

tA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Wharton(Accepted-Matriculating), HBS (Ding)
 Q45  V40
GPA: 2.88
WE 1: NSW
Send PM
Invite to interview at Wharton, baby. Pumped.

Straight up Ding at HBS.
Current Student
Send PM
interview invite for wharton as well, finishined a good interview at darden today - awesome vet community at darden, definitely leapfrogged some of my other choices
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS (ding w/o interview), Stern (waitlisted - declined), Kellogg (IN! Praise God! Matriculating)
GPA: 3.67
WE 1: S-4A/Embarkation Officer, 3d Bn 25th Mar for OEF 10.2
Send PM
Straight up ding from Harvard. I knew I wasn't really competitive score wise but was hoping they would see beyond that. I was so busy here that I didn't have a lot of time to dwell on it but in the lull it hits me. I guess I wasn't good enough to go to Harvard. Everything happens for a reason. I still am waiting for Stern's response. I would love to go to Kellogg, which originally I was drawn more to than Harvard at first. Stern also sounds really great. Well I guess we'll see. Luckily with our battalion starting to redeploy to the States I've been kept busy. March 30th can't come quick enough (when they'll give us the decisions by). Till then keep hoping and praying, and looking at what opportunities to go on temporary active duty there are..

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:MSU Broad $
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Anyone one here with exclusively enlisted military experience, or is it just officers in the 700s? ;) Where are you applying? I was a four and out guy active duty army, just finishing up school with 2 years of the post 911 GI Bill left. Looking for my first admit for next fall here in the next week or two...knock on wood. It feels great to finally be out and getting on with my life. Currently applied to:

Notre Dame- waitlist

Michigan State- Interviewed

Minnesota- Interviewed

Good luck to everyone
Current Student
Send PM
I've read some previous posts, and just wanted to chime in. The VA is doing better than advertised as far as CH 33 benefits. I havn't had any problems at all, but I did apply a few months before I got out and started school again full time. There is extra paper work involved, and it makes changing classes prior to the beginning of the term a lot harder, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem in an MBA program.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
wp06,

you are an ANIMAL! i really hope to see you here next year. if not, i'm sure you'll be friggin fantastic at whatever program you choose.

for all of you out there, beware. wp06 is a beer pong ASSASSIN. dude can nail a solo cup via ping pong ball a mile away.

good luck brother, to you and all of you on the board. again, feel free to reach out to anyone of us at Darden as well as the vet community at any school.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
mbaanimal2011,

yeah most of the dudes you'll find are of the "O" type. but i'm sure you know, it don't matter to anyone what side of the house you worked on in the military.

here at Darden, out of the 3 Marines in my class, 2 of us are enlisted and the other is an officer, and we push him around to make up for loss time :lol: . but regardless, mil service is mil service and its all about the way you are able to tell your story in essay and interview forms. plus as an enlisted dude, you've got a really great and compelling story to tell. when all your bros were partying it up, you got your degree and are moving on up. own it brother, and tell how NCO's like us worked and sweated while the O's sat around and drank coffee :-D (last one. promise.)

let me know if you need any help.
Current Student
Send PM
Lakai777,

Thanks for the response man. I didn't mean to hate too hard on the commissioned guys, I was just curioius, doesn't seem to be too many Enlisted folks in the MBA game. I'm glad that this thread is on here, I hadn't heard about the Yellow Ribbon change. That is definately going to be a factor for me. After all, one reason I joined the service was to pay off student loans, not too psyched to apply for a lot more but I will if I have to I suppose. Need to get that first admit, I hear from two programs this week.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  18