Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools:Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations
Schools:McCombs class of 2013
 Q42  V45 GMAT 2: 710  Q41  V47
WE 1: 8 years Navy
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategic Management and Finance
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013
GMAT 2: 700
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE 1: 4 yrs US Army
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
Congrats emont!!

Got a question for you guys. I don't know a whole lot about the application process, but regarding interviews, do you have to do an interview before you get admitted, or is it just a select few from the application pool that are required to go through the interview process? Thanks.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Sanducan wrote:
Congrats emont!!

Got a question for you guys. I don't know a whole lot about the application process, but regarding interviews, do you have to do an interview before you get admitted, or is it just a select few from the application pool that are required to go through the interview process? Thanks.

Depends on the school--where are you looking to apply?

For instance, Stanford, Cal, UCLA, and HBS interview some portion of their applicants, and only admit people who were interviewed. In other words if you don't get an interview you won't get in, and if you do get interviewed you probably have a ~25-50% chance of admission. Interviews are by invitation only.

Kellogg tries to interview everyone, but based on location and alum availability they waive interviews for some people. Having your interview waived is not synonymous with getting dinged--there are interview waivers who are admitted, and some people who interview are rejected or waitlisted.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 4 yrs US Army
Send PM
Thanks, that cleared it up. I'm hoping to apply to H/S/W, Columbia, and maybe Booth. I have a whilst to go before I apply, but right now I'm just trying to get a firm understanding of the application process.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Ops/Logistics
Schools:Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
 Q44  V42
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Got in at Ross. Party time!
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Sanducan wrote:
Thanks, that cleared it up. I'm hoping to apply to H/S/W, Columbia, and maybe Booth. I have a whilst to go before I apply, but right now I'm just trying to get a firm understanding of the application process.

If you're unfamiliar with the application process I highly recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/How-Get-Into-Top- ... 0735204233

In addition to that talk to people at each of those schools--most vets clubs are very willing to help anyone who emails them with questions. Just look at the school webpage and find some contact names for the prez/VP/admissions asst/etc. for their vets club.
Current Student
Send PM
piggles wrote:
Got in at Ross. Party time!

Congrats!
Current Student
Send PM
brothersharp wrote:
Congrats, emont! That's great!

I got waitlisted at Anderson. Looks like I'll be going to Texas!

Congrats on getting into UT!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Operations
Schools:McCombs class of 2013
 Q42  V45 GMAT 2: 710  Q41  V47
WE 1: 8 years Navy
Send PM
Thanks! Just found out I got waitlisted at Haas as well. I was prepared for that one, since I never did get in interview invite.

Congrats on Ross, Piggles!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Ops/Logistics
Schools:Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
 Q44  V42
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
brothersharp wrote:
Thanks! Just found out I got waitlisted at Haas as well. I was prepared for that one, since I never did get in interview invite.

Congrats on Ross, Piggles!

Thanks buddy! Are you headed to Austin?

Edit: Nevermind. Have fun in Austin. Michigan is my first choice, but there will be days in January when I'll rue my decision.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V45
Send PM
:cry: hey folks, a little depressed about the current state of affairs: everything about my background says "apply to top programs", however, I am sitting on rejection letters from 3/5 (harvard, stanford, berkeley, no interview), interviewed and waitlisted at ucla, and interviewed and waiting at MIT. this game is tougher than I imagined! should I start thinking mid grade ultra type school? might be some scholarship money out there. thoughts?
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Send PM
im sorry man, what is your mil background?

id wait it out, or try some good top 15 schools, NYU has a late Rd 2 deadline and it due Saturday if you can make it happen, which might not be realistic

Olin will likely give you a scholarship (just my opinion) and is a top 20

You could also try Round 3 at Darden, my buddy got in their in Rd 3 last year.

Best bet is probably to wait on MIT, I am waiting for them too.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V45
Send PM
logistics officer, one deployment to iraq, one trip to korea, standard JMO jobs. Should have applied to Olin. Thought about it. Wanted to "spread the risk" across just top brand schools. Mistake.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:HBS (ding w/o interview), Stern (waitlisted - declined), Kellogg (IN! Praise God! Matriculating)
GPA: 3.67
WE 1: S-4A/Embarkation Officer, 3d Bn 25th Mar for OEF 10.2
Send PM
Hey all, I'm back in the forum. It's been a while since I posted, and I'm glad there are more responses.

New changes to Post 9/11 GI Bill: Awesome.. hopefully. I am more interested in the reserve component. With all my training and reserve mobilization time, I qualify for 100%, but they have to define what they're going to count for reserve time.. Man, I hope I qualify, because that'll really help me and my wife.

Submitted my apps to Harvard, Kellogg, and NYU! Man it was painful. Work all day, then go back to my hootch, work on essays, go to sleep, wake up early, write essays, go to work, and repeat the process. I'm so glad the essays are over. I was about to relax and watch television shows and movies like other people, but I've already started looking into interview techniques from ClearAdmit. Nervous, as the redeployment of my battalion is going to start kicking into full gear right around the time the interviews may start coming in. My chaplain and I were joking that I would call on a satellite phone and he'd thump his chest and I'd tell the adcom that there's a helicopter going next to me, playing the soundtrack from Saving Private Ryan.. It'd be even funnier if the adcom's someone who's been to Camp Leatherneck and calls me out. Ha ha ha.

Anyway, I really hope I find out very VERY soon if I get accepted or dinged. If I get accepted, awesome, gotta figure out how I'm going to finance it. If I get dinged, then I did some networking and may be able to get 1 year mobilization orders at Camp Lejeune, which would be nice too because then I'd definitely qualify for 100% of the GI Bill. Anyway, only time and God will tell of where I get in.

My stats:
- GPA: 3.65
- GMAT: 660 / 6.0 (this test was horrible - do not want to take it again)
- Undergrad: University of California, San Diego
- Major: Political Science
- Applied to: Harvard, Kellogg, Stern - one reason is they're top schools, second reason is they all have good jazz piano programs (my wife wants to get her master's after I get my MBA)
- Post-MBA: Consulting, then possibly take over my father's air conditioning business.
- Currently: In Afghanistan, @ Camp Leatherneck, serving as the assistant logistics officer/embarkation officer/assistant linguist manager/education officer/anything else they need a junior officer to do. Will EAS thisJune, and my future is as solid as jello - all depending on which schools I get into, if any.

Congrats to all who got into schools - hopefully I'll get some good news too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: GMO/Sustainability
Schools:<strong>Darden '13</strong>
Send PM
Mabin, good luck with your apps, brother. I know how you feel (kinda). I was doing my GMAT prep in Iraq and had very little time after the deployment to actually take the test. I also got a 660 and am a little nervous about my applications. Try to stay safe over there for now. I hope you get some good news too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, IB, Finance
Schools:Kellogg, Booth
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Definitely talk to the vet groups and the admissions office about your candidacy. I know Chicago was great when I told them I was applying while in Afghanistan and really went out of their way to accommodate me.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Question: how to respond to a waitlist letter from UCLA? They make it pretty clear they don't want to hear from you unless you have some new grades to report. They included an email link saying "please reply to this email saying you want to be removed from the waitlist." Would it be beneficial to reply and reiterate my enthusiasm for the program?
Current Student
Send PM
i know it has kind of been brought up on this forum but if anyone very astute on the new GI Bill changes, will it still be the case that if I begin a semester while on active duty during my transition that I still receive full tuition for that semester?

I am planning my final leave form and want to use the most common sense possible, if we no longer receive this benefits than it makes no sense for me to go beyond the 90 days past my committment so I get 40%

But if the active duty during beginning of semester tuition is still in place then I would extend through most of Sept for my leave plans.

Any info / experiences are helpful, this transition (as you all know) is all jacked up, hard to find good advice any my unit...

appreciate any help,

ryan
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  18