GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2019, 14:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants

post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2008, 16:44
Dinged..............dammit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2008, 17:23
sorry to hear tht.. can you ask for feedback?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2008, 19:37
ding
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2008, 20:20
nc, raj, i know what you are talking about. i was hopeful till the last hour since i thought i will make the 50% cut easily. Man, if i am struggling at 50% level, then maybe i should just be happy to be dinged now rather than prepare for interview and wait another long month before a inevitable ding...if i am borderline then no matter how great an interview, i will not make it...

but this still sucks. i absolutely adored W after my visit. my best app and the only one i got reviewed by others. I know GSB is a better fit for me, but still W was the most impressive...I do not agree that the process is random. there's more than one person who looks at our apps...probably as many as three. being Indian also is not a big handicap at interview stage..

ujjib
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2008, 21:27
I just had my Chicago and Wharton interviews. Nothing spectacular to add that hasn't been said here, but I did want to post and reiterate how random this process is. I applied to five schools: H / S / W / Chi / Col. It's hard to say that I "expected" to receive invites from any of these schools. I thought my chances were best at H and S because my profile is skewed toward leadership and impressive nonprofit accomplishments (I'm a unique poet with four significant leadership awards and currently manage 100 people), with an obvious deficiency on the quant side. Wharton and Chi seemed like a real stretch for a nonquant jock, but I applied anyway. In the end, I got invites from W and Chi and will likely be dinged at H and S.

The process remains as mysterious as ever to me. The only thing I know for sure is that the characteristics that supposedly define each school fall well short of the reality. Who would have thought a humanities major with <80% quant would get an interview at Wharton? Anyway, I guess what I am saying is that you just have throw your hat in the ring and hope for the best. Take heart guys -- a lot of you are really well qualified. My interviewer mentioned something really interesting to me tonight, which is that if a person is smart and driven, they will succeed no matter what if they pursue their goals. A top MBA is just one door, and Wharton is just one school. Try to stay positive and keep slugging away. Good luck everyone with the rest of the app process and life in general.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2008, 03:07
rejected.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2008, 05:32
dinged
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2008, 07:27
Some consolation this morning. Our huge client (our 2nd biggest) that got bought by Penn Health Systems is meeting with us in a few weeks to take back over the billing. But now since they are part of a PHO, they are being reimbursed at a higher rate. yay!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2008, 19:51
How's everyone coping with the scarce of time slots on campus? I called the adcom a couple of days ago, and they confirmed they would NOT be adding any new slots.

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2008, 21:03
xerox wrote:
How's everyone coping with the scarce of time slots on campus? I called the adcom a couple of days ago, and they confirmed they would NOT be adding any new slots.

is an alum interview an option for you? if you have not yet visited campus and are trying to get an on-campus interview coz of that, you could visit the campus but interview with an alum in your city (or do a hub interview elsewhere)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Aug 2008, 09:22
Had my on-campus interview. Nothing crazy as I was asked standard questions, for the most part. Will write a detailed debrief later. Please feel free to ask any specific questions if you have any. I am going to get back to my beers now. :-D

Sorry to all those who got bad news last week. All I can say is I was dinged from Chicago as well and this whole process continues to baffle me......

Originally posted by nyrberg on 25 Feb 2008, 19:41.
Last edited by nyrberg on 03 Aug 2008, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2008, 20:35
Had my interview today with an alum. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Questions asked:
* Why did you choose your undergraduate school and major?
* What was your experience like?
* What was the most important takeaway for you?
* What made you pick your first job when you got out of college?
* Questions about my jobs.
* At your previous job at XYZ, how was your social life? Are you in touch with people from then?
* Why MBA?
* Why now?
* Why Wharton?
* If I got into Wharton and another top school, what would differentiate Wharton for me?
* Once I got done with my education, how would my peers from Wharton remember me?
* Anything you would like to add that you feel we might not have covered?
* Any questions? (I asked her about her experience, she was a very enthusiastic person and a staunch supporter of the school)

If anyone has questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2008, 21:57
nupurgupt wrote:

Pad thai chicken !!!!

All the best for an admit nupur :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2008, 23:03
bsd_lover wrote:
nupurgupt wrote:

Pad thai chicken !!!!

All the best for an admit nupur :)

thanks bsd!

hahahaha
you know what's funny, we used to get the best thai food where i did my undergrad
like unbeatable
over the course of years, i've met ppl in dc, chicago, etc. and somehow or the other i've always run into someone who will rave about having eaten at that place and craving it eversince

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 11:57
Just had my interview this morning. Met up at the alum office downtown. As I dont venture downtown all that often, decided to build in some buffer and ended up reaching a good half an hour before the scheduled time. Killed time gazing out and reading about the democratic debate tonight :)

Anyways, the interview itself was SHORT. The alum had not looked at my resume beforehand, so he spent some two minutes staring at it. He mumbled - "Company X- very good, so you must be very strong analytically, school Y for UG, impressive" and did not ask a single question from the resume. He just asked me, "what are your long term goals". Thats it. On hearing my goals, he told me about his learning team member who did something VERY similar to my goals and he started telling me about how W was the best for that. The rest of the interview he was selling me on Wharton. When I decided there were going to be no more questions coming forward, I tried to add as much to the "Why W" piece as possible. We discussed a lot about data based analytics (my current industry) and its applications in various other businesses. I think overall it went well as he seemed impressed overall though he did not ask many questions.

Kind of odd that my last two interviews had a total of ZERO behavioral interview questions. Hope that does not translate to something bad.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 13:04
Just had my interview. Very nice person, although the interview was more formal than I expected.

I had the usual questions: why MBA, why now, why Wharton.

I also had questions about my management style, what makes a good leader, what's my leadership style.

He asked mr what I would to if I didn't get into Wharton.

I didn't get any questions I wasn't expecting, but I'm overall not too happy with the way my interview went. There are some messages that I would have liked to communicate better. Hope it won't be a deal-breaker...

Anyway, no strange or difficult questions to mention.

Now the horrendous waiting starts! :(

PS: does anyone know what the weight of the interview is? Strong, weak?
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 13:05
dosa_don wrote:
Just had my interview this morning. Met up at the alum office downtown. As I dont venture downtown all that often, decided to build in some buffer and ended up reaching a good half an hour before the scheduled time. Killed time gazing out and reading about the democratic debate tonight :)

Anyways, the interview itself was SHORT. The alum had not looked at my resume beforehand, so he spent some two minutes staring at it. He mumbled - "Company X- very good, so you must be very strong analytically, school Y for UG, impressive" and did not ask a single question from the resume. He just asked me, "what are your long term goals". Thats it. On hearing my goals, he told me about his learning team member who did something VERY similar to my goals and he started telling me about how W was the best for that. The rest of the interview he was selling me on Wharton. When I decided there were going to be no more questions coming forward, I tried to add as much to the "Why W" piece as possible. We discussed a lot about data based analytics (my current industry) and its applications in various other businesses. I think overall it went well as he seemed impressed overall though he did not ask many questions.

Kind of odd that my last two interviews had a total of ZERO behavioral interview questions. Hope that does not translate to something bad.

Sounds like you're in there mate! I wouldn't worry too much, I think that's an excellent sign.
Schools: Attending Stanford

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 13:09
Sounds like the interview went well for both of you. Audio, I wouldn't worry about being unable to communicate everything you wanted to. As long as you were able to answer the questions reasonably well (especially the first three questions you mentioned), you should be OK.

To answer your question, I don't think the Wharton interview is as heavily weighted as it is at HBS or Sloan. It's just another data point.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 13:38
So my interview last exactly 35 minutes. We started a few minutes late and went a few minutes past the sceduled time. I interviewed on campus with a second year student. She was very friendly, explained that it was a blind interview and that I could reiterate things that were included in my application or add new things as we went along. Questions were very standard and the last 10 minutes were for questions I had about Wharton. The questions listed below were all asked but it was more of a conversation that kind of led to these questions. It was definitely NOT a question and answer session.

Questions/topics: not in perfect order as my memory isn't that good.

-Bring me through your professional accomplishments.
-Not a direct question, but I brought her through my background and explained why everything made sense.
-What are your short and long term goals?
-She asked me why I was passionate about my career goals and specifically what I would change about something I had mentioned I wanted to work with....this was a very difficult question.
-What do you bring to Wharton?
-What is your greatest strength?
-Why is Wharton for you?
-Tell me a time when you participated in a group project and didn't agree with something that was going on....How did you handle this?
-This isn't really a question, but she noticed that I worked in college and asked me about it. I told her I worked part-time during classes and as much as possible during the summers. I said I did basically anything to make money during my first couple of college summers. I also did a full-time internship and she was curious how I worked that out with classes. Luckily my interviewer worked full-time during college and took more than 4 years to graduate from undergrad so she could relate and actually talked about it with me for a few minutes.
-What personal characteristic do you have that you believe allowed you to accomplish your goals thus far?
-What clubs do you see yourself participating in?
-Is there any weakness in your application that you would like to address?
-Is there anything that you would like to add or something you feel I haven't addressed today?

Those are most of the questions, if not all of them. I will add more questions if they come to mind in the next few days. I talked to a few people who had interviewd at Wharton, either current students or prospectives, and they all seemed to have similar experiences. Good luck!!!! :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 22:39
nupurgupt wrote:
is an alum interview an option for you? if you have not yet visited campus and are trying to get an on-campus interview coz of that, you could visit the campus but interview with an alum in your city (or do a hub interview elsewhere)

Well, I am in Toronto, Canada now, and when I did a search for alum interviews there (or anywhere in Canada, for that matter) through the online scheduling system there were none available. Zero, zilch, naught, none whatsoever.

I have visited the school when I was doing my research, and it seems that going to Philly again is the only option for me.

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2008, 22:39

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  49   50   51   52   53   54   55  ...  64    Next  [ 1265 posts ] 

Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: xprometheusx